Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

George Lopez is the kid's teacher in the film, since the movie is a bit of a bait and switch and Sharkboy and Lavagirl are imaginary characters the lead character came up with because the film is basically a messy 2000s version of Never Ending Story mixed with nascent cultural comic book tropes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So Sharkboy and Lavagirl have kids because their creator went through puberty and got horny.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How is that Rodriguez can take 50 million dollar movies again and again and they all look like poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In know that won't be it, but I would love a movie about some ubermensch kids that just turned out to be washed up schlubs in a dead end job by 30.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

In know that won't be it, but I would love a movie about some ubermensch kids that just turned out to be washed up schlubs in a dead end job by 30.

I don't know what kind of career progression you think newspaper reporter has

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Iron Crowned posted:

Two hours of Taylor Lautner trying to do a pivot table in Excel in an open-plan office while he slowly loses the will to live.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Red Bones posted:

Two hours of Taylor Lautner trying to do a pivot table in Excel in an open-plan office while he slowly loses the will to live.

Zaurg the motion picture

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Red Bones posted:

In a meeting Susan brings donuts but remembers to bring Taylor a piece of rebar to gnaw on because she's a sweetheart.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1286816193257418752?s=20
not content to raid reddit, hollywood will be optioning rights to schoolkids binder paper drawings of mall ninjas

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The story is in /r/ no sleep, seems like it's another attempt to do creepy pasta adaptations like the short-lived Channel Zero did.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Remember when Hollywood optioned that Reddit post about a modern army unit time traveling back to ancient Rome? lol

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4rc-x6Cyqs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm gonna get discovered by getting my Fight Club 2 treatment sold by posting to r/unpopularopinion

what's that? Chuck P already wrote FC2? I need to fire my agent

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

Remember when Hollywood optioned that Reddit post about a modern army unit time traveling back to ancient Rome? lol

What? That was a comic book.

Really weird and fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

What? That was a comic book.

Why option a comic book when a Reddit post has its own Wikipedia page.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Odd. The comics came out in 2012. Huh.

Also here's a fun review of that Tom Hanks submarine movie: https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2020/07/10/worst-thing-youll-see-all-week-greyhound/

quote:

Greyhound, a Tom Hanks movie about an ill-fated destroyer captain trying to protect merchant ships from German U-boats in World War II, isn’t terrible because it’s historically loose and absurdly indifferent to realism. Actual World War II submarine combat would be a snooze-fest for people who watch Tom Hanks movies. Even more boring would be the perspective of the destroyer, which drives around and listens to the ocean and sometimes hucks giant bombs into the water. Destroyers aren’t even the ones getting shot at. So no one can blame a filmmaker for wanting to Hollywood it up a little, with submarines and destroyers firing broadsides at each other as if they were in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. With U-boats with actual wolves painted on their conning towers. With German captains prank calling the Allies to make wolf howling noises. Because wolf packs, you see. Not every submarine movie can be Das Boot, and not every submarine movie should be.

It’s also not terrible because Hanks seems to be phoning it in. He spends most of the movie passing orders down a chain of command, often over a literal phone. I suspect he’s trying to sound officious when relaying messages, but he instead sounds like someone doing a bad imitation of how robots are supposed to talk. That Mr. Rogers movie must have really taken it out of him. But Hanks’ flat performance actually works in the context of the movie, because this isn’t Sully. This is a guy who seems like he’s not very good at his job. Regardless of the historical incident, Greyhound portrays its hero as someone uncertain and morose who’d rather be somewhere else as German subs kill all his dudes. We can infer from some unnecessary scenes with Elizabeth Shue as his…daughter?…oops, nope, I called that wrong. We can infer from Elizabeth Shue as his soon-to-be-bethrothed where that somewhere else might be. The script does wag its finger at some plucky British destroyer captains who have a tendency to wander off, but it mostly comes down to a guy who can’t control his fleet and feels really bad about it. No wonder he talks like a robot.

What makes Greyhound a terrible movie is that it has no sense of how to be a movie. It has no structure. It is a series of poorly shot and edited action sequences, all indistinguishable from each other, separated only by brief scenes of Tom Hanks forgetting breakfast or being kind to a seaman or asking for his slippers. Then it’s right back to a bunch of random swooping CG of ships breaking through the waves shooting at something, intercut with Tom Hanks giving an order, quick shots of markings on navigational charts, and sometimes a little screentime for one of the younger actors to look scared or confused. Dramatic music explains that this is all very exciting, very tense. But because Greyhound has no idea how to tie it all together, and most conspicuously no idea how to integrate CG with live action, it just feels like a rough cut of a pitch for a movie. If you’re going to Hollywood it up, you have to know how to Hollywood.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

but does it have dubstep

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What movie most embarrassingly features dubstep?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

honestly, probably Deadpool 2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Over a million dollars for a (presumably) lovely creepypasta. I've been wasting my life.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1286816193257418752?s=20
not content to raid reddit, hollywood will be optioning rights to schoolkids binder paper drawings of mall ninjas

We are crawling ever closer to the Big Fat Liar reality.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Taintrunner posted:

Odd. The comics came out in 2012. Huh.

it actually came out 2007-2008, maybe prufock451 has been doing some wiki-vandalism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How long til someone buys the movie rights to 'Love Will Be The Death Of Us'

(for the record, https://medium.com/@ianmack/love-will-be-the-death-of-us-7baa690dcd0
Though I more recommend https://medium.com/@alexandraerin/infidelity-will-be-the-death-of-my-marriage-1020720676ef to preserve your sanity)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 25, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wyoming posted:

it actually came out 2007-2008, maybe prufock451 has been doing some wiki-vandalism.

do i dare to delete a speech?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How is that Rodriguez can take 50 million dollar movies again and again and they all look like poo poo.

Alita looked amazing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When will the Groverhaus movie come out?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Doom Bathroom would be more compelling

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well, our former overlord needs money, so get ready for the newest James Wan joint DOOM HOUSE.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's been awhile since there was a Poe adaptation with any money behind it but I think A24's The Fall of the House of Grover might be a big hit.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I wonder how much money I could get for a script about a guy who sets beehives on fire, possibly on a swingset.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I wonder how much money I could get for a script about a guy who sets beehives on fire, possibly on a swingset.

That just sounds like a deleted scene from Gummo

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I was just reminded of when Spy Kids 3 came out and we got it at our theater, but whoever was the projectionist on duty the night it came in and was spliced together accidentally put like reel four in front of reel three, so the movie was now out of order.

One person in the entire time - roughly six weeks - we had that movie complained, and that’s because they were somehow seeing the movie a second time, having seen it elsewhere. No one else noticed, or at least complained. We never bothered to fix it because there was no time in the summer to tear down half a film and then re-splice it back together properly.

I did accidentally put a reel of Julie & Julia in upside down once, but that was an easy fix - snip the splices on both ends of the reel and just... flip the film... oh god it’s sagging please don’t fall into a pile oh god oh god oh god - over and resplice! Perfectly simple.

Not 100% sure why “Robert Rodriguez’s movies usually look lovely” reminded me of that beyond “apparently he makes movies where the middle absolutely doesn’t matter at all, too” crossing my mind

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Cameo posted:

I did accidentally put a reel of Julie & Julia in upside down once, but that was an easy fix - snip the splices on both ends of the reel and just... flip the film... oh god it’s sagging please don’t fall into a pile oh god oh god oh god - over and resplice! Perfectly simple.

Doh ho ho ho. The real-life epilogue to Julie is something out of a sketch comedy.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Cameo posted:

I was just reminded of when Spy Kids 3 came out and we got it at our theater, but whoever was the projectionist on duty the night it came in and was spliced together accidentally put like reel four in front of reel three, so the movie was now out of order.

One person in the entire time - roughly six weeks - we had that movie complained, and that’s because they were somehow seeing the movie a second time, having seen it elsewhere. No one else noticed, or at least complained. We never bothered to fix it because there was no time in the summer to tear down half a film and then re-splice it back together properly.

Not 100% sure why “Robert Rodriguez’s movies usually look lovely” reminded me of that beyond “apparently he makes movies where the middle absolutely doesn’t matter at all, too” crossing my mind

Spy Kids 3 seems like exactly the kind of movie where you could mix up the different reels because it's an episodic sort of structure where they go to different videogame levels. Who cares whether they go to the volcano level or the ice level first?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Somewhere the dude who tried to turn Skinwalker Ranch into a big thing is grinding his teeth into a fine paste while screaming about Reddit. I skimmed the first part of the story and it's embarrassing airport level novel writing that's probably mid-tier even for r/nosleep, but it's fine. Not sure how it's really worth that much though. The ideas are basic as hell. Oh it's a will-o-the-wisp, then it appears as a naked dude *gasp* and finally it's a burlap scarecrow...but get this, it can come alive if you set it on fire too close to your house!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Spy Kids 3 seems like exactly the kind of movie where you could mix up the different reels because it's an episodic sort of structure where they go to different videogame levels. Who cares whether they go to the volcano level or the ice level first?

I had a feeling that might have been it back then. Although we did have an employee sit through the movie after that complaint and he was like “I wouldn’t be able to point out where it got messed up if I tried”

Hell, for all we know we didn’t screw up and whatever other theater that person had seen the movie at had. I just remember it being ridiculous because the complaint was on the first showing Saturday of opening weekend, so that family had literally seen the movie the day before and was seeing it again. On a beautiful, cloudless summer day.

Tourists. Pah.

Doh ho ho ho. The real-life epilogue to Julie is something out of a sketch comedy.

Oh god I don’t know this, tell it tell it tell it

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I dug spy kids but Sharkboy and Lavagirl is the first movie I remember actively disliking. Which is funny because now I kinda dig what he was going for.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Cameo posted:

Oh god I don’t know this, tell it tell it tell it

quote:

In her follow-up book, Julie Powell freely admits to cheating on her husband for two years after the events depicted in the movie The book, Cleaving, has less to do with cooking and her newfound interest in butchery than her out-in-the-open affairs, how obsessive she became over her lover, gratuitous descriptions of her sex life and the wounds she received during sex, and how much she enjoyed it and didn't want to stop. Needless to say, the book was largely panned on its release.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I dunno why people think anyone wants to read a book about how they're a shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

:stonk: