Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Seconding the Anomaly recommendation - I've not played it in a while but it does a good job of adding new life into areas I've already explored a bazillion times with new characters and radiant-ish quests to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Anomaly / CoC / CoM are all great and highly recommended. But if you feel the urge to run SoC again, consider this merge I did of AMK and Autumn Aurora 2: https://www.moddb.com/mods/amk-autumn-edition/

AMK mixes up spawns and difficulty with some new mechanics, AA2 brings in atmosphere and some other new mechanics. It's a good mix to make SoC feel fresh again.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1286587931864584193

Dead Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyOFspbPjA

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

That's about right for STALKER

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, that just makes me think it's more real.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

v1ld posted:

Anomaly / CoC / CoM are all great and highly recommended. But if you feel the urge to run SoC again, consider this merge I did of AMK and Autumn Aurora 2: https://www.moddb.com/mods/amk-autumn-edition/

AMK mixes up spawns and difficulty with some new mechanics, AA2 brings in atmosphere and some other new mechanics. It's a good mix to make SoC feel fresh again.

Thanks I think I'll use this as I'm itching for a replay. Made this post so I could find the link in the future.

Stalker 2 wooooo!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

v1ld posted:

This is a real good mod, btw.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks. This recent message gave me a real kick:

Original reason for the merge was how annoying it was to find the 1.4.1 version of AMK and its translation and get it all working in a modern setup. So it's cool to have an AMK dev come back and play it.

If anyone is going to check it out, play the 1.4.1 v3.0 version. It's the most well-rounded.

E: Also check out Anon's AMK AE 1.4.1 Tweaks to see if there are any tweaks you want (npcs stop stealing from stashes, for eg).

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 26, 2020

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Ok, looks like I've got everything good with the ZRP on SOC. One thing I didn't see in the FAQ was about artifact with +Rads, so if you put them with nothing else you just just die? I'm guessing I need to find something else with -Rads if I wanted to keep this equipped? Seems weird the first two I came across just straight up kill me.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a standalone version of AMK?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
what if stalker 2 sucks :smith:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

buglord posted:

We just play STALKER mods for the rest of our life.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Please level y'all's expectations of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. GSC Game World went bankrupt after Call of Pripyat, all their developers went on to work for 4A Games, Vostok Games, or other branched off studios. All that GSC Game World maintains is the intellectual property of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise. That's not to say that is impossible that is will work out in the end, just level y'all expectations.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

buglord posted:

If modding is in, it honestly won't matter -- they just need to release a base for people to work off. I trust that the community will pick it up and make another dozen years of great content.

Not sarcasm

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I agree. It's in unreal, all they need to do is mash a game together and make some assets. Modders will make a good game out of it.

Beemo
Feb 20, 2011
It's only natural to feel excitement for a beloved franchise, but I think we all know the signs are pointing towards something lackluster. My only hope now is that it ushers a new audience into the OG trilogy and we can get more mods and content for those instead.

Does anyone have experience with constant freezing in ANOMALY?
I'm playing through it on stream and find that it freezes and requires killing constantly. I've played through anomaly before and don't remember it being so crashy. All the searching I've done seems to suggest memory issues or changing DirectX, but changing those doesn't seem to help. I'm starting to think that its a streaming issue, but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has had the same issue before giving up and moving on to CoC

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Appoda posted:

Is there a standalone version of AMK?

Check the 4chan /sg/ repos for mod and translation, probably your best bet.

E: https://mega.nz/folder/Z7RjwaBS#PYNDw9ugMSojbpUDgIACHQ Look under the 'old AMK' folder. 1.4.1 is recommended.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 27, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Looking forward to Stalkan 2. I tried the AMK thing but immediately got reminded that I have played this over and over and would really like something new. Any recommendations for Metro Exodus?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yea metro exodus is really good and the best metro game in my opinion, but I wouldn't go into it expecting it to be stalker. It has stalker moments but there is still a great deal of linear stuff like you'd expect following the first two games.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

exodus has pretty rave reviews across the board. As someone who loves stalker, I can't stand exodus for a number of reasons but its probably a safe bet for you to try..

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Riversideblues posted:

Ok, looks like I've got everything good with the ZRP on SOC. One thing I didn't see in the FAQ was about artifact with +Rads, so if you put them with nothing else you just just die? I'm guessing I need to find something else with -Rads if I wanted to keep this equipped? Seems weird the first two I came across just straight up kill me.

Yeah, anything that emits radiation while equipped will slowly kill you until you unequip it. There are artifacts that reduce radiation, so it can cancel out the effects of anything that adds radiation, but they're not that common and show up later on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mostly like the Metro series (though their continued flaws have kind of worn out their welcome as the series has progressed--fighting monsters, for example, is still largely unfun and there are more of them than people) but even Exodus really doesn't fill the same niche that STALKER does. While the first two maps in the game are open, the third is more of a single path with a few side areas you can go to, and the final one is a completely linear experience. It's also still just a shooter with a few side-objectives and none of STALKER's simulation or RPG mechanics.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Man, still no luck finding a merchant who sells 9x39 ammo in COC, even after quicksaving and loading repeatedly in front if them.... do vendor unlocks still follow the old logic? Like, after you get higher ranking and complete key missions they sell more stuff?

Is there still that mini-brain scorcher mission in yantar to complete? Maybe that will finally get me a vendor to sell 9x39

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

nexus6 posted:

Looking forward to Stalkan 2. I tried the AMK thing but immediately got reminded that I have played this over and over and would really like something new. Any recommendations for Metro Exodus?

Deffo nab Exodus. They're only similar on a superficial level, and it wont scratch any itch for Stalker you may have, but its still an excellent game. I enjoyed it a bunch, especially the wide range of environments you're in. I was someone who was lukewarm at best on the previous metros because I got tired of being underground so much.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Ok, regarding coc, stuff is tiered on personal rep, if you are a merc, go see the fella's in dead city and sakharov, the prof just south of them in yantar, the save-reload stuff works for missions as well, save before you talk to any mission giver, you dont like the look of the mission? reload and ask again.
Also, the rekd level of stuff that drops is profoundly level based as well, somehow, the zone adjusts how much someone has shot a gun by how much you have acheived, this stuff and what kind of jank traders will buy, is adjustable via the misc/trade ltx and I really recommend fiddling with that until you find what suits you.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
metro exodus starting with a soviet-bloc apocalyptic style swamp with mean mutants, dumbass bandits, and fanatical cultists definitely scratches a stalker itch for me. it has been eleven, eleven years since ive played a new game that offered me that back with call of pripyat. eleven years is such a loving long time for an itch to just sit there that metro exodus could blow on the itch and relieve some of it even just replicating a decent amount of stuff from stalker even if it is still a very different sort of unforgiving shooter. I think that if there's a discussion about if metro exodus scratches a stalker itch or not is enough to show that it's very probably worth playing if you're a fan of stalker that desperately wants something even remotely similar to get lost in for awhile.

but then again i was also mad high during the first area of metro exodus, so it was probably more immersive based off of that alone. the switch between the first two maps going from stalker to russian mad max is just chefs kiss. we finally got our mad max shooter and everyone is an unwashed russian that carries guns called "bastard" and "murder"

tldr
-does exodus scratch a stalker itch? in a way, yeah
-is it scratching it hard? no
-does it remind me of venturing through stalker for the first time in particular? yeah, at the first map
-would it scratch the same itch if it hadn't been 11 years since CoP? probably not, in the same way battlefield wouldn't scratch an itch of call of duty unless modern shooters somehow dry up for over a decade before bf announced a new game with areas inspired by cod. not the same by any means, but can invoke the feelings of at times.

e:spspspspsp

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 28, 2020

Beemo
Feb 20, 2011
Metro exodus does have one thing that completely ruined the experience for me. When you get to the lighthouse, don't explore, just talk to her. If you don't, you risk getting a bug that will cause you to have to restart the chapter. Now that doesn't sound too bad in itself, but restarting the chapter completely IGNORES your decisions up until this chapter, which means that you will now magically have ALL THE upgrades, but the big thing it changes is that the member of your crew that you went to great lengths to keep alive, is now dead and everyone on your crew hates you. Oh, and this bug is from the steam version, released a full year from its epic debut.

It completely spoiled the rest of the game for me, I ended up just rushing through it after as i found the combat and stealth to get too repetitive, the story veered into lazy and cliche and the characters bland and uninteresting. The game does look really good though!

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Beemo posted:

Metro exodus does have one thing that completely ruined the experience for me. When you get to the lighthouse, don't explore, just talk to her. If you don't, you risk getting a bug that will cause you to have to restart the chapter. Now that doesn't sound too bad in itself, but restarting the chapter completely IGNORES your decisions up until this chapter, which means that you will now magically have ALL THE upgrades, but the big thing it changes is that the member of your crew that you went to great lengths to keep alive, is now dead and everyone on your crew hates you. Oh, and this bug is from the steam version, released a full year from its epic debut.

Is this the bug where it just crashes near the end of the chapter? That happened to me with no fix and I couldn't stand replaying several hours so I just shelved it and dsas the rest of the plot on Wikipedia

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I've owned Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat for years but never really played them much because the computer I had at the time ran them like rear end. If I want to give it a real go, should I play through the vanilla games before trying out an overhaul mod or are they recommended even for first timers?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zone Reclamation Project (ZRP) is a necessary bug fix mod. It's modular and doesn't push any non-vanilla stuff by default, though you may want to take some of the offered tweaks.

Other than that, Cromm Cruac's Absolute texture packs are a good addition to make the game look better without changing the vanilla feel.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Beemo posted:

It completely spoiled the rest of the game for me, I ended up just rushing through it after as i found the combat and stealth to get too repetitive, the story veered into lazy and cliche and the characters bland and uninteresting. The game does look really good though!

Is this the DLC? I cant recall any of this.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey gang. Been playing a ton of New Vegas modded and realized that I was essentially making it into fake STALKER, so why not go to the genuine article? I've only got Pripyat. Should I go back and start with SoC? If so or if not, any recommended mods for a first time go-through? Most of y'all seem to be zone veterans, so I'm more looking for vanilla+ rather than a big overhaul.

fake edit: I spent so long looking up mods that somebody sniped me to the same intention. I guess regardless: SoC or CoP?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Start SoC for the atmosphere, go to CoP for the mods and then realize you'd get an even better STALKER with the fan-made CoC modded.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What exactly is Call of Chernobyl? Is it all original content?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Call of Chernobyl is a sandbox combo of all the maps of all three base games, and iirc includes of some previously cut content like Fracture/Izlom mutants, random emissions, and so on, and with the main plot of the base games stripped out. It's all put together in the open sourced and improved version of Xray so it runs substantially better than the base games did. You can download the complete thing without owning the originals, it doesn't require any assets from prior installs.

And then there are derivatives of Call of Chenobyl like Anomaly, Dead Air, and Misery, which use CoC as a basis and add on their own new features.

Honestly I can't really imagine recommending the base games to anybody these days, now that the megamods are out. But I always played Stalker for the atmosphere rather than the plot.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 30, 2020

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

ShoC still have a lot of moments that still play (going underground for the first time, for example), but the age weighs more heavily on it than CoP.

My suggestion would be to start with ShoC+ZRP; if you bounce off of it, skip over to CoP. CoP is "modern" enough to be playable at vanilla or vanilla+, and also starts off very open while ShoC is more structured.

Once you tear through those, try out Clear Sky, CoC, Lost Alpha, Anomaly, and all the other poo poo.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CoP felt the most modern to me with the Gunslinger mod. The weapon feel then is almost 1:1 with Metro or any other modern FPS

Beemo
Feb 20, 2011

buglord posted:

Is this the DLC? I cant recall any of this.
It's the second chapter, the "mad max" one. When you go up the lighthouse and then beneath into the bunker.

Not the Messiah posted:

Is this the bug where it just crashes near the end of the chapter? That happened to me with no fix and I couldn't stand replaying several hours so I just shelved it and dsas the rest of the plot on Wikipedia

Nah, it's right when you go up to the lighthouse and help her kill the bandits and she's supposed to let the elevator down. If instead you go down through the open door and explore before talking to her, You get soft locked out of being able to progress.

I should also say that the upgrades you get when you restart the chapter are from EVERY chapter, it killed exploration for me.
It would have been so easy to avoid, but the game doesn't let you keep manual saves!

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Can you apply mods on top of anomaly or is it just as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Yeah, anomaly has a few mods specifically for it, but, dicking around with some of the .lua files can adjust some things in both the base mod and say, weapons pack, Dr X's mod and so on, Ive yet again been floundering around and missing stalker gunplay and general weirdness and sketchy drunkenretreats from waves of mutants.
I'll go see if there's anything new and fun on the Anomaly ModDB, and come back with a trip report.

so:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/downloads get anomaly from here.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons Mods for the mod, Here.
Ok, but what mods offer the gritty stalker feel?
I have no idea, but you can get hi rez packs, you can also find better death anims and so on, which is the opposite of what you asked for, but, after downloading the 3 parts to anomaly, patching and hotfixing it, just try playing for a few days and thinking "this is too ukrainian and uhhh, gritty", they might help.

Another matter.
I mentioned it futher back in the thread, but Anomaly allows you to keep your lovely equipment in pretty good shape, although the system is not very intuitive.
For a start, you need to use a mechanics vice/worktable, thats fine, bung a chellovek some rubs, and look over your options, eh?
unfortunately, you find you have no idea what the gently caress does what, all your equipment is too ruined to do much with and while looking at the confusing array of stuff, you suddenly find your time is up.
Oh Dear.
So, a lil pointer for you, you see, "enemy" factions also have mechanics, and if you shoot them to little bits, you have a vice that you don't need to pay for. Bohe Moi! (I could be a oval office and not mention that yeah, mobs can respawn around you while you are indulging in your uh, vices, but this does happen)
So, typically you are not best mates with the Bandits or Monolith, Who both have bases in Jupiter.
You can also create stashes, so go clear out a base, and drop a few bags around the workbench, offload your stuff to the benches, and occasionally pick up useful bits and bobs like grease, gun oil, leatherman's and suchlike during your interactions with other groups that you are friendly with,
Also, remember your fun with finding the Basic, Advanced and Expert tools?, well, after you have rustled up those babies and given them to your favorite mechanic for the Perk, you are going to want another set, also a Drugmaking Kit and Gunsmithing tools.
As you can probably tell, you are not going to be a master mechanic, able to turn some tuna cans and junk ammo into an rpg-7 in your first few hours, However, there is an amazing variety of things you can scrounge up, like manuals and other stuff that unlock the ability to not only repair your weapons and armour, keep them in peak condition, but also Mod your stuff without a mechanic, at your own workbench. Although just collecting all this stuff, and the rubs to buy tools like leathermen and so on, plus finding manuals and weirder esoteric stuff, can take a few days of playing. and thats being pretty meticulous and quite lucky with what turns up in stashes.
E: I forgot to mention, you can also upgrade stuff like Artifact detectors as well.

staberind fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 31, 2020