Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zesty posted:

Much like Moonshiner is a tier 2 Trader, Naturalism is a tier 2 Collector. It's been talked about for a while since related info had been found in the game code.

So, gunfights over who gets the single once-daily spawn, instead of "gently caress, I'm later, better gently caress off for five minutes while it respawns"? (Last night at the NE edge of Shitbird Plantation south of Rhodes, other player got the box dug up and looted about ten seconds before I showed up.) Maybe more things to do with shiny bits than occasionally drinking the rare alcohol, or using it/rare flowers to make other alcohol?

"Craft - Dime Shot: 10 rounds, requires 10x any given coin" :unsmigghh:

fennesz posted:

It it makes collecting eggs less of a frustrating and fruitless exercise I'm all for it.

I've actually had better luck with the eggs of late - had a couple stuck in a tree (one was left by some other disappointed soul), but managed to knock them free via .22 shoving. Roll the dice!

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh man, I hope we get to interact with Algernon Wasp again. He was one fabulous character.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Is there a goon discord for RDR2 yet?

FuturePastNow posted:

Based on the pictures in the blog, I'm guessing "Naturalist" is just a nicer way of saying big game hunter. And this:

sounds an awful lot like a Collector nerf. Fill those collections now.

Nice, trader is my favorite role and I'd love more to do with hunting.

And I hope collector isn't being nerfed yet, since I'm halfway to 10 stacks of each set.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Maybe with a hunting role we'll get the buffalo rifle back :q:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What would a hunting role do that the trader role does not do?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

if it fixes the animal spawn bug, i don't care

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Logged in for the first time in months. Game is still hot trash. I have no confidence the update on Tuesday will redeem it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A friend and I are looking forward to playing around with the new role. Some new direction to add to the chill.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The new role is Preacher, and you have to spend your days trying to convert the sinners, and the nights drinking and beating people up.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

The new role is Preacher, and you have to spend your days trying to convert the sinners, and the nights drinking and beating people up.

Do I get a conquistador breastplate?

KITTEH

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 25, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ainsley McTree posted:

if it fixes the animal spawn bug, i don't care

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is that animal already on the map?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If I can get a jaguar to guard my camp I will reinstall this monstrosity.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Either that is a new double barrel shotgun that doesn't have hammers for some reason, or we're getting some new big rear end double rifle :q:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Fur lined bandolier :allears:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't wait for Pokemon Snap but the Pokemon can probably kill you before you see them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
*throws apple at Jaguar*
*gets mauled*

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I’ve played rdr 1 and rdr 2 multiple times and never made this connection until I saw a tiktok.

https://www.tiktok.com/@____thestreets__/video/6846081655728311558?source=h5_m

Motherfucker

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 25, 2020

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I gotta ask, playing the PC version with a controller, is there any way to make your horse maintain a gallop without having to constantly hit X over and over again? My thumb isn't really digging that much mashing just getting from point A to point B in a timely fashion, and I can't seem to find an option to just be able to hold X to gallop like you could with the mouse/keyboard controls and holding shift.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I gotta ask, playing the PC version with a controller, is there any way to make your horse maintain a gallop without having to constantly hit X over and over again? My thumb isn't really digging that much mashing just getting from point A to point B in a timely fashion, and I can't seem to find an option to just be able to hold X to gallop like you could with the mouse/keyboard controls and holding shift.
If you go into that camera chase mode where your horse stars auto-following the road, I think it will just keep galloping after a few seconds of you doing the button mash. You can of course not see the stamina bar when you do that, but it keeps doing the heavy breathing thing until you tell it to slow down, so I think that's a gallop.

Otherwise, sorry, but no.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Well that's annoying as all hell. Having to constantly mash X to sprint on a horse is gonna get old real quick, and I don't like not being able to see my horse's stamina (or the minimap for that matter) in the chase camera mode, that feels like such a strange trade-off to have to make.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the control scheme is one of the most-criticized things about the game, so I'm afraid you're one of a long line of players who came to the same conclusion.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Chuds McGreedy posted:

I’ve played rdr 1 and rdr 2 multiple times and never made this connection until I saw a tiktok.

https://www.tiktok.com/@____thestreets__/video/6846081655728311558?source=h5_m

Motherfucker

Before I click it: Is it spoilery?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

If you go into that camera chase mode where your horse stars auto-following the road, I think it will just keep galloping after a few seconds of you doing the button mash. You can of course not see the stamina bar when you do that, but it keeps doing the heavy breathing thing until you tell it to slow down, so I think that's a gallop.

Otherwise, sorry, but no.

Finger on the shift key is what I do. Or use the cinematic autopilot but it's not always an option.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's also best not to "mash" the button as such, you get the most bang for your buck by tapping it to the rhythm of the hooves. You still have to press the button quite a bit but the pace is a bit more forgiving than just constantly hitting it as hard as you can, that would definitely ruin your hands.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also best not to "mash" the button as such, you get the most bang for your buck by tapping it to the rhythm of the hooves. You still have to press the button quite a bit but the pace is a bit more forgiving than just constantly hitting it as hard as you can, that would definitely ruin your hands.
I do it to the rhythm of my horse's breathing, which also seems to work fairly well and requires even less button mashing than going by the hooves.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

See, that always made it sound like you need to hit the button with every beat of a clippity-clop, but I think you're supposed to hit it once per four hoof-falls. Who knows.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Morter posted:

Yes if you plan on playing the first game blind. It doesn’t give a lot away for red dead 2, but Dutch gives a speech towards the tail end of rdr 2 in the beginning of the video that he also gives in his climax of rdr 1 and I posted a tiktok that plays them one after another.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you pay close attention they also sprinkled John Marston quotes from 1911 throughout different characters' dialogue in 1899. So those lines are recontextualized as John quoting things his onetime-friends said.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Morter posted:

Yes, very

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Well, *that* was different. Just standing around being cute [spoiler]am not cute/spoiler] and murdering gators, and a lion spawns in on me.

A live one.

With a playertag.

Immediately either teleports out/was kicked/quit, but if kitteh wasn't being aggro, then shotgun doesn't come out. :v:

GEE I WONDER OF THE NEW CONTENT IS SECURE FROM HACKERS

In other worthless news, I've got more than enough cash and gold on hand for both the new Outlaw Pass and whatever new Role they actually drop. Also, a shitload of assorted collectables, since I spent Friday night/all Saturday/most of Sunday grinding those out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the hackers will get to drop leopards on you next week

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I managed to wrap up all the collections that were close to completion, and now have over $30 in gold and $4k in RDO bucks. There's still a few things I'd like to buy, like the hunting wagon, outfits, etc. but with the new content coming I'll hold off a while.

Also... this is my favorite Cripps look by far...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

why would you do that

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Tied for best Cripps: bear hat or mercenary (I think) biker-looking dude.

Too bad you can't play dress-up with your own clothing stash - he'd look awesome in concho pants, sombrero, crossed bandoliers and whatever the one jacket is I can't buy because my characters a guurrrl.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he needs his leotard

also not sure if anyone mentioned it but I bet/hope that the rifle the naturalist is carrying is something like the double-deuce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYlDgwo52tI

what an absolute motherfucker of a gun

e: looked at the preview again, the stock is all wrong to be the DD, but it could potentially be a much more common and still insane 4 bore

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 27, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What on earth

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They were most likely created as show-pieces since even the kind of psycho who would want to use it may be limited by the fact that the gun is 44 pounds, but big huge ridiculous hunting weapons were all thee rage at the turn of the century ever since some adventurers figured out that yeah, it's possible to kill an elephant with a gun you can hold in your hands.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They should add a punt gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think he mentions in the video that 4 bore double barrel rifles were the largest realistic option for big game hunting. A 2 bore throws half a pound of lead in a single shot.

His other channel inrangetv does some good old west historical vignettes that look at the events behind heavily mythologized old west shootouts. A lot of them are just stupid mundane disputes that end in 30 seconds of shooting and a few dead.