Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I got Vault 44 today. I didn't get to listen to the records yet but the box is really fancy like the one for the first White Stripes album. They announced the next one and it's a whole Johnny Cash thing, which I'm really into but I'm sure some people are going to be like "Nah.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

I got Vault 44 today. I didn't get to listen to the records yet but the box is really fancy like the one for the first White Stripes album. They announced the next one and it's a whole Johnny Cash thing, which I'm really into but I'm sure some people are going to be like "Nah.".

Would you say your last name starts with a Z or an A?

And I admire the Cash package but I can’t see myself actually sitting down and listening to it, and definitely not for $65. Gonna have to be a pass.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Would you say your last name starts with a Z or an A?

And I admire the Cash package but I can’t see myself actually sitting down and listening to it, and definitely not for $65. Gonna have to be a pass.

Closer to A. This round shipped A-Z. I thought the price for the Johnny Cash thing was a bit steep at first but then I realized that if you bought a 2xLP, a 7" record, and a DVD from a store it'd probably cost about the same. Plus I remembered that in ye olden days the packages were often more sparse. What I really miss is t-shirts. The original plan was that the packages would be an album, a single, and a t-shirt. They only did the t-shirt three times right at the beginning.

And anyway I've already paid because I have automatic payments. The few times I got something I thought was lame or wasn't a band I like (Pearl Jam) I just sold it. It's pretty easy to get rid of these things if you don't price them sky high like everyone else. I basically give it just enough of a markup where I break even after ebay and paypal fees and the shipping cost.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
well well well look what came in the mail today

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I am fully down for this nonsense. Free patch while supplies last!

1. Danger Zone (Theme from Top Gun) 02:50
2. Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey) 01:49
3. Chariots of Fire (Theme from Chariots of Fire) 02:23
4. Axel F (Theme to Beverly Hills Cop) 01:59
5. In the Moog 01:51
6. Love Story (Theme from Love Story) 02:06
7. Theme from Halloween 01:30
8. Theme from Miami Vice 01:22
9.Duelin' Moogs 02:36

His first album also got a repressing, both can be had via Bandcamp

(note: H. Jon Benjamin does not know how to play any instruments)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

JAMOOOL posted:

Those are my favorite kind of days.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
honestly I'm not even sure what some of these are, I've ordered a lot of stuff in the last month or so that just hasn't arrived due to (I assume) the massive USPS backlog. I'll open em up tonight when I'm in the right frame of mind and get back to y'all

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

caligulamprey posted:

i bought both of these as soon as i got the email. duelin' moogs is great

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JAMOOOL posted:

honestly I'm not even sure what some of these are, I've ordered a lot of stuff in the last month or so that just hasn't arrived due to (I assume) the massive USPS backlog. I'll open em up tonight when I'm in the right frame of mind and get back to y'all

Save some drugs for the rest of us

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I miss doing drugs and listening to records with my friends so much.

Specifically H. Jon Benjamin's Jazz records.

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

And caligula lamprey contributes to another crippling dent in my savings account

JAMOOOL posted:

:eyepop:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I just can't get my fix with VMP like I used to. I've now branched out to... international record clubs...

I got probably one of the last copies Donald Byrd's Byrd in Paris from the Wax Buyer's Club in France. International subscription was surprisingly reasonable, probably comes out to about $35 a record which is kind of typical for premium poo poo anyways. I'm tempted of grabbing Oliver Nelson's Skull Session next month, even though I have that on pre-order from VMP. But that Wax Buyer variant looks so loving sick.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

Maracas? That's pretty cool.

caligulamprey posted:

That's hilarious considering what people have been paying for it.

edit: Wow that bit with Aziz Ansari at the beginning of that first album has aged poorly.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 25, 2020

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

hell yeah

one in the background is The Crucible by Motorpsycho

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh hey Yellow Magic Orchestra! I had to Google that album just to be sure it was the same band, but I guess I'm some sort of hipster who prefers their 70s work. Never knew they went in a poppier direction in the 80s.

And sorry pwn, I hit many of my usual haunts but all I turned up was a Chuck Mangione 8 track. This is going to take some doing as right now the only thing left in thrift stores is scratched to piss, especially if it is a "name". Except Barry Manilow. I saw his live album from 1977 still sealed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh hey Yellow Magic Orchestra! I had to Google that album just to be sure it was the same band, but I guess I'm some sort of hipster who prefers their 70s work. Never knew they went in a poppier direction in the 80s.

And sorry pwn, I hit many of my usual haunts but all I turned up was a Chuck Mangione 8 track. This is going to take some doing as right now the only thing left in thrift stores is scratched to piss, especially if it is a "name". Except Barry Manilow. I saw his live album from 1977 still sealed.

Barry Manilow's 1977 live album reproduces with spores. If you leave a copy of that in a musty basement you're going to have them everywhere.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

God help you if you get a Herb Alpert infestation.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Better grab that Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac. He's gone.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/peter-greens-heartbreaking-health-battle-22415614

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

I feel so touched that you actually looked, thanks dude

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I would like to share a homemade record I found recently. One of the most beautiful voices ever put to vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReIb0aozgo

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

CPL593H posted:

God help you if you get a Herb Alpert infestation.

sometimes i regret not buying that whipped cream quadraphonic but then im thankful that i had $40 to spend on david lynch poo poo ive already forgotten i own.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I love these forums and i’m so glad they’re still here

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

wa27 posted:

I would like to share a homemade record I found recently. One of the most beautiful voices ever put to vinyl.

That's a lot cooler than the only homemade record I own which was just some teenager's speech class assignment from 1953. I did upload it to Tindeck a few years ago, but that site went kaput and while the Internet Archive saved the page, it doesn't look like it bothered saving the actual audio.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Naughty Boys is definitely a pop album but it's a fairly tongue-in-cheek one. Not to pander to the goon squad but I feel like every Japanese video game music composer was huge into this album at some point. Technodelic on the other hand is deeply strange, it's one of the first albums to ever be built primarily from samples (their own, of course) and using a device which I don't think appears anywhere else.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I feel so touched that you actually looked, thanks dude

Hey no problem, it was fun! I'll keep it in mind if I luck into a good cheap Mangione score. Actually went to an estate sale today, no Mangione but found a few other things even though it was day two.

Here's the vinyl from it, nothing outrageous but at $2 a piece and 25% off of that not too bad. the vinyl itself looked to be in nice condition at quick glance. Anybody else have a common record that they just cannot find or are holding out for a nice condition copy? I've been looking for Steppenwolf - At Your Birthday Party for a bit and kinda surprised it hasn't popped up locally. Not quite desperate enough to just eBay it yet.

JAMOOOL posted:

Naughty Boys is definitely a pop album but it's a fairly tongue-in-cheek one. Not to pander to the goon squad but I feel like every Japanese video game music composer was huge into this album at some point. Technodelic on the other hand is deeply strange, it's one of the first albums to ever be built primarily from samples (their own, of course) and using a device which I don't think appears anywhere else.

I figured it was, especially since they look like they'd rather not be in the music video for the first song on the album. Clearly I need to do a deeper dive than just playing Rydeen, Firecracker, etc on loop. I'm semi convinced Simoon is a lost Eartbound song it makes me think of that game every time I hear it. Never mind that the song came out 16 years before the game.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Ahem....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7qGESJf8qus&t=625s

(10m 25s, in case time link doesn’t work)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm semi convinced Simoon is a lost Eartbound song it makes me think of that game every time I hear it. Never mind that the song came out 16 years before the game.

the guy who did the Earthbound soundtracks did several albums with one of the members of YMO so I'm pretty sure there's a connection there

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Serious question. Is that the correct speed?

Giga Gaia posted:

sometimes i regret not buying that whipped cream quadraphonic but then im thankful that i had $40 to spend on david lynch poo poo ive already forgotten i own.

I need a few minutes to process all of these words.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

Thats rad

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

That's a lot cooler than the only homemade record I own which was just some teenager's speech class assignment from 1953. I did upload it to Tindeck a few years ago, but that site went kaput and while the Internet Archive saved the page, it doesn't look like it bothered saving the actual audio.

It’s a shame about tindeck but please re-rip and re-up it, and thank you

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I figured it was, especially since they look like they'd rather not be in the music video for the first song on the album. Clearly I need to do a deeper dive than just playing Rydeen, Firecracker, etc on loop. I'm semi convinced Simoon is a lost Eartbound song it makes me think of that game every time I hear it. Never mind that the song came out 16 years before the game.

Keiichi Suzuki and Moonriders are what you're looking for re: Earthbound. The YMO members also had very good solo careers, Hosono obviously but Yukihiro Takahashi stuff is really great.

Also

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Serious question. Is that the correct speed?
Yeah, the other side makes that obvious. And it needs a 78 needle to play properly.
edit: no guarantees that my BSR changer is running at the right speed, though.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 26, 2020

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Not that it's the proper way to do it, but dicking around with the play back speed on YouTube doesn't seem to change a thing. Poor Edith just wasn't on her game singing. Still a cool find though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mondo just announced Silent Hill 3 and 4 for next year.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

screaden posted:

Keiichi Suzuki and Moonriders are what you're looking for re: Earthbound. The YMO members also had very good solo careers, Hosono obviously but Yukihiro Takahashi stuff is really great.

Also

I could talk about their solo careers all day. so much great stuff in all 3 of them.

listening to the Naughty Boys Instrumental album for the first time in forever, this is really the happiest music on the planet isn't it. even more striking considering how schizoid and neurotic their last two albums were

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/merchandise/music/vinyl

Some Square Enix vinyl went up for sale in the NA store today:

Final Fantasy VII Preorder
W/F: Music From Final Fantasy XIII Preorder
Final Fantasy VII Remake and VII
Xenogears Shinkaku
Nier Automata/Nier Gestalt & Replicant box set
Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono Trigger/Cross Arrangement Album

I had to snap up the Chrono Trigger/Cross arrangement, I love that album.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
drat, was hoping to see the Life is Strange soundtrack on there but that's probably never going to happen.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Are FF8 and CT/CC shipping now or are they also preorder? I ordered FF7 and FF13 on June 18 and they are still available, but there is no preorder listed next to FF8 or CT/CC. Would like to hold off for a while if possible. They are listed as preorder on the UK site, so I think it is safe to hold off but would appreciate any insight.

LiS would prob still require an absurd amount of rewards points to order, if they added more. The people who run SE store shafted me $15 credit when I used points for a gift cert on the Nier box set preorder in 2017. Still mad about it.

E: thanks dedede

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 29, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It didn't indicate if the CT/CC album was preorder the way it indicates it for those FF7 and XIII albums. I'm pretty sure it'll ship within the next few days, I chose the 3-8 day shipping option. I'll keep you posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

I hope someone releases the Lunar soundtracks on precious vinyl. I have fond memories of those games on the playstation and used to play the CDs that came with them a lot.