Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Do you actually fight 1st class in Remake? IIRC you only fight 3rd class grunts.

It would also explain why Reno immediately realizes Cloud isn't a SOLDIER. Only very few are in the same class as Sephiroth / Zack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

WaltherFeng posted:

Do you actually fight 1st class in Remake? IIRC you only fight 3rd class grunts.

It would also explain why Reno immediately realizes Cloud isn't a SOLDIER. Only very few are in the same class as Sephiroth / Zack.

You only fight 3rd class in Remake as well as Midgar in the original.

I want to say you fight generic 1st class during the Midgar raid?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SirSamVimes posted:

I really liked the runup to the airbuster and the fact that when you got the payoff, it was accompanied by this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQDLBKpbXQU

we already know Stamp is the best "new" track, but which remixed track is the best? I'm thinking it's either Airbuster or J-E-N-O-V-A. When Jenova drops into phase 3 and there's a lull and then the ORIGINAL jenova theme kicks in, I've listened to the whole thing dozens of times and it STILL gives me chills every time it does that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Midgar Expressway as well, it's a mashup of the bike chase music and one of the battle themes and it is loving incredible.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My most-replayed tracks from the OST in order of their appearance in-game:

1. Let the Battles Begin! - Break Through - the battle theme remix from Chapter 2 after you meet Aerith. I especially like the downgraded remix that plays between battles.

2. The Airbuster - nuff said.

3. The Most Muscular - they really should have renamed this to Those Who Squat Further. This has a place of honor on my workout playlist.

4. Hand Over Hand - the track that plays during Tifa's platforming sequence in Chapter 16.

5. J-E-N-O-V-A - Quickening - nuff said.

6. Midgar Expressway - for the reasons mentioned above.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 25, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

S7-6 Annex Diversion is my jam (or at least the part of it that plays during certain fights, like the boss Drake in the combat sim

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVvN97xQlBg

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hearing an orchestral remix of J-E-N-O-V-A was cool, but when the classic theme kicked in I gained the strength of a thousand men.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

S7-6 Annex Diversion is my jam (or at least the part of it that plays during certain fights, like the boss Drake in the combat sim

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I like almost all the new stuff. I hope the future games make huge divergences from the original game cause I already played the original a dozen times and I'm not a brain damaged baby man that needs a pacifier. Chadley is a little pervert sicko and I hate him, though. Hate that little freak. What are you doing in Wall Market you degenerate? I'm on to you.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I like almost all the new stuff. I hope the future games make huge divergences from the original game cause I already played the original a dozen times and I'm not a brain damaged baby man that needs a pacifier. Chadley is a little pervert sicko and I hate him, though. Hate that little freak. What are you doing in Wall Market you degenerate? I'm on to you.

Did you complete all his reports?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Getting flustered by lady Cloud, the best character.

Nailed it, I know, moving on.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
When you get the final dialogue from Chadley, Cloud's reaction is hilarious and on brand lol

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BisbyWorl posted:

You only fight 3rd class in Remake as well as Midgar in the original.

I want to say you fight generic 1st class during the Midgar raid?

Yeah you can only fight Soldier 1st Class in Sector 8 during the raid on Midgar.

They carry Shinra Alphas, it's the only place in the game you can acquire them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Does the Compilation ever give a count of active 1st Class Soldiers? Aside from Seph/Angeal/Genesis/Zack, how many are there?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

anakha posted:

Does the Compilation ever give a count of active 1st Class Soldiers? Aside from Seph/Angeal/Genesis/Zack, how many are there?

I don't think there's a solid number ever given, but there's apparently a decent enough number because there's an NPC in disc 3 (in Junon?) that talks about how with Rufus presumed dead, there goes his plan to mobilize all the 1st class Soldiers to the Northern Crater to fight Sephiroth.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barret loving owns. I'm at the part in chapter 17 where the Shinra president is hanging off the edge and Barret grabs him, and Tifa/Aerith are like "no!" and I'm like "hell yes gently caress his poo poo up Barret."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barret is the best. I met his voice actor at an event in The Before Time and he was also the nicest dude on the loving planet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Note - apparently the planet is not capable of protecting you against the chapter 17 robot boss's big final laser attack

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Since we're on the topic of "new stuff", I did not enjoy the additional Sephiroth scenes. He worked much better as a villain who suddenly and surprisingly dispatches your primary threat, the President of Shinra, and then begins controlling the reins of the Ancients plotline. In the remake, he shows up in visions and the only reason he seems villainous is because he has a sinister voice, appearance, and some of your main characters dislike him. I couldn't identify any plot reasons as to why he was a bad guy. It's even worse in the last chapter of the game where he is the final boss. Beyond stealing Jenova, he has had very little to do with your journey so far - but he is supposed to be the confrontational climax?. In summary, he only made sense as a villain in this game if you were familiar with the original game.

Roche was a good add, since that gives us more perspective on the SOLDIER stuff. Expanding some of the lore and character interactions was also appreciated. The ghosts of plot correction and Sephiroth changes fell very flat for me though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DarkLich posted:

He only made sense as a villain in this game if you were familiar with the original game.

must have been really disappointing to all of the people who hadn't played Final Fantasy 7, one of the most popular video games ever made

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its frankly insane to me that people would prefer to play the same old story with shiny new graphics rather than have a new one to experience and unpack as it happens but i guess a lot of people just listen to the same music they liked in high school

that said the main failing of the new game is the whispers needed a more distinct design than cloak ghosts

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Was disappointed this track didn't make it into the game. It'd be a good song to start the second game since it plays when you're at Midgard gates.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Super No Vacancy posted:

its frankly insane to me that people would prefer to play the same old story with shiny new graphics rather than have a new one to experience and unpack as it happens but i guess a lot of people just listen to the same music they liked in high school

that said the main failing of the new game is the whispers needed a more distinct design than cloak ghosts

I get it, because anything like this is inevitably going to be positioned as a new definitive version of the story, and also original FFVII still doesn't have a good translation. But also, I love what they did here and those complaints are kind of dumb in regards to how they related to this game so whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arist posted:

Barret is the best. I met his voice actor at an event in The Before Time and he was also the nicest dude on the loving planet.

A few months ago StrangeRebelGaming aka Aeris' VA from the remake did a stream of her playing the original FF7 with Barret's VA and it was pure joy.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Bleck posted:

must have been really disappointing to all of the people who hadn't played Final Fantasy 7, one of the most popular video games ever made

Be that as it may, a game's plot should stand up on its own.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat that's gonna be tough for parts 2 and 3

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bleck posted:

There's an entire generation of adults born after the original came out.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dreylad posted:

Was disappointed this track didn't make it into the game. It'd be a good song to start the second game since it plays when you're at Midgard gates.

wait I'm an idiot it did make it in -- sort of -- I knew I had heard it at some point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=152EfoYVpMo

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 27, 2020

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Super No Vacancy posted:

The game is called "Remake" and you find it insane that some people wanted a remake?

I'm reserving judgment on the New Stuff but come on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DarkLich posted:

Be that as it may, a game's plot should stand up on its own.
The entire remake's plot is about sephiroth wanting to change history so he doesn't lose, it's a sequel whose plot revolves around that, so of course it would benefit the player to be familiar with the original

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

zakharov posted:

The game is called "Remake" and you find it insane that some people wanted a remake?

I'm reserving judgment on the New Stuff but come on.

yeah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zakharov posted:

it is a remake! we got a remake. just not that kind of remake. it's a tricky remake.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

it is a remake! we got a remake. just not that kind of remake. it's a tricky remake.

it isn't, it's a new game

fortunately, it is a good game, but the feeling of "a straight remake could have been nice and is what i expected" is not invalid, though "the fact that this isn't a straight remake means it is automatically bad" is

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oxxidation posted:

it is a remake, not a remaster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Midgar was mostly played straight, which contains many if not most of the iconic things people actually remember about FF7, so now it's cool that the next remake chapters can theoretically play faster and looser with the established canon.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I was going to post about how they handled Sephiroth in this game, but honestly this discussion is better suited to the Spoilers Thread

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

zakharov posted:

the only remake I can think of in any media of any kind that was a complete shot-for-shot mechanically identical remake of the original was the 1998 Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho

which is, unsurprisingly, famous for being terrible

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's an entire generation of adults born after the original came out.

Super Mario Bros came out five years before I was born and yet somehow I've still played that game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

People have been saying for years that they wanted an updated ff7 with a proper translation, it's not that wrong for them to ask for that since it keeps getting ported to every new console.

And people are already skeptical about remakes as it is with Capcom menacing is with the possibility of remaking RE4.

Agreed with you about the whispers though, it would've been nice if they'd made them look like cool ghosts like Auron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I haven't finished all of Chadley's missions, I've been dragging my feet on that cause it seemed like I had to do some materia grinding I didnt feel like doing at the time in order to complete them. Does something happen at the end of that quest line that makes him not an uncanny little deviant fancylad?