Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive convinced the triathlete that ive been seeing to buy a proper road bike :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

a patagonian cavy posted:

I’ve done zero training rides with other people ever in over 10,000 miles of road cycling and I’m not allowed to start now. fine by me

riding bike is a solo, meditative activity

am I psycho

nope, just crushing miles with music or podcasts going in loose ear buds

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I ride solo but give every other cyclist I see a ridiculously enthusiastic wave.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 25, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i love solo riding too, but i def miss the big saturday world championship group rides.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

I tried putting my gopro on a massive selfie stick and it gets some cool 3rd person POV footage, though naturally being a thin collapsible selfie stick it sways too much (check 2:00 where I go down a small incline lol). Going to have to see if I can get a long stick of some sort that's stiffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgxkXB32I0
The part at 2:00 is completely nauseating and I can't stop laughing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I’ve done zero training rides with other people ever in over 10,000 miles of road cycling and I’m not allowed to start now. fine by me

am I psycho

I do all of this on top of lugging around a folding bike on work trips...so uh, whatever you are I’m worse :ohdear:

Dangerllama posted:

I ride solo but give every other cyclist I see a ridiculously enthusiastic wave.

:hmmyes:

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I finally pulled the trigger on a new bike after mine was stolen a few weeks back. Can’t wait to just get out and ride. Solo ride, group ride, any ride is a good ride.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I ride primarily solo but the roads here are boring and I miss my friends.

Dangerllama posted:

Still definitely do this though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mystes posted:

The part at 2:00 is completely nauseating and I can't stop laughing.

feels like riding on the back of someone travelling on a pogo stick

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

am I psycho

I ride bikes with my 8yr old son and my wife for family fun. But all my other riding (and running) is solo. Being alone with my thoughts is part of why I like doing it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a new bike after mine was stolen a few weeks back. Can’t wait to just get out and ride. Solo ride, group ride, any ride is a good ride.

What did you get? Sucks that your old bike was stolen, but nice opportunity to upgrade.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

i love solo riding too, but i def miss the big saturday world championship group rides.

Same. :smith: I miss doing a steady 35 km/h looking into someone's butt, barely breaking a sweat.

I had a really bad creak develop on my last ride. About 100km since I did a full drivetrain degrease, clean, re-tweaked the groupset and all that. It feels like it comes from the bottom bracket, under load, but everything I've read says the skewers are usually the first culprit, so I greased those mothers up and the mounting points. I hope that does it. This creaking sound is driving me nuts. :thunkgun:

e: quote

former glory fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 25, 2020

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

What did you get? Sucks that your old bike was stolen, but nice opportunity to upgrade.

Trek Domane SL7 - local shop somehow had one in stock, so just pulled the trigger on it. Way more bike than I need, but the insurance money covered it and hopefully I’ll ride it into the ground.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm planning my next big ride. What do you all like to eat while riding? So far I'm working with
- PB&J / PB&Honey
- Rice crispy treats
- Dry pancakes
- home made rice cakes
- gummy bears
- chocolate covered espresso beans
- just ordered some stroopwafels
- burnt out on Clif blocs

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ScooterMcTiny posted:

pics plz

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spf3million posted:

I'm planning my next big ride. What do you all like to eat while riding? So far I'm working with
- PB&J / PB&Honey
- Rice crispy treats
- Dry pancakes
- home made rice cakes
- gummy bears

I have simple needs and am good if every Clif bar is a different flavor.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

If the ride is 6 or less hours I just drink Maltodextrin. I add Fructose if I'm doing hard work. Over 6 and I try to add some source of protein at the halfway point.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ya I'm talking 12+ hours here. Think imperial century or >> greater

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Alright, then I might have to mix in the Buzz and Nut Butter variants of Clif Bars to get that variety.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

spf3million posted:

- PB&J / PB&Honey
- Rice crispy treats
- Dry pancakes
- home made rice cakes
- gummy bears

boiled red potatoes with an insane amount of salt on them.
pickles + pickle juice
bananas
more home made rice cakes
I just tried one of those "epic" protein bars for the first time (spicy sriracha chicken) and it was pretty dang good

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I mixed dates, melted chocolate, a flavorless electrolyte mix, and maybe some whey protein in a food processor. Then rolled the result into balls and wrapped them in biodegradable wrappers. Those were a pretty good time.

I've also just stuffed my jersey with brown sugar cinnamon poptarts.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bicievino posted:

boiled red potatoes with an insane amount of salt on them.
Are we talking whole or cubed?
:hmmyes: to everything else

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
100km gravel event today in 30-40c heat, according to my bike computer.

I violated the 'never change anything on your bike just before an event' rule and got dropped from my group because I was hunting for a noise that sounded exactly like the indexing being off but it was a combination of the cassette being work down a bit funny because I stole it off my trainer and only took it for a spin around the block a few times and thought all hell was breaking loose the second I had to actually climb a hill in it.

Then I helped a little kid who should be on the devo team fix a flat because he borrowed a bike older than he is and didn't understand how cantis work and how to disconnect the brake.

After that I hooked up with some killer fast dudes I know until I knew I couldn't take it anymore so I gave em a monster pull and launched em. Few mins later I hook up with a couple guys I race cross with and ground out the rest until I started to bonk 5km from the finish and had to mooch a Nunn tab, managed to finish the ride including the last monster climb and then almost passed out in the parking lot. Couldn't eat any of my food because once I'm in overheating and bonking territory anything like a gel or gummy would make me hurl so after lating there for 20 mins I ate a piece of birthday cake and smashed a gas station sandwich and Gatorade on the way home. Shin cramped 2km from home while driving I had to get my wife to park the truck and while hosing the dust off the bike discovered that the RD was a bit loose at the hangar as well :argh: now even under heavy load it's way better.

It was an awesome day for bikes.

My only regret is I didn't get a pic of the super fluffy kitty that wanted all the pets while I was sitting on the ground kinda wanting to cry.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
riding solo means i can ride at my own pace and most importantly, start whenever i drat well please

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

spf3million posted:

small ones, cut in half or quarters. more surface area for salt that way

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

Ya I'm talking 12+ hours here. Think imperial century or >> greater

Just drink tailwind

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

teepo posted:

riding solo means i can ride at my own pace and most importantly, start whenever i drat well please

As a very much not-morning person, this is me.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

small ones, cut in half or quarters. more surface area for salt that way

I would totally do salt potatoes. Just need to figure out the butter

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Guinness posted:

As a very much not-morning person, this is me.

Rather ride solo midday when it gets to 35C on the tarmac, if it means I get to sleep in and ride bikes. :whatup:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jan posted:

Rather ride solo midday when it gets to 35C on the tarmac, if it means I get to sleep in and ride bikes. :whatup:

Unironically, though

Edit: also evening rides, especially when sunset is almost 10pm

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 26, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you don't ride in the wee hours of the morning its harder to justify being three beers in by 11am.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

spf3million posted:

I eat Ensure for every ride including PBP. I think I was carrying 4 bottles. I usually just end up eating at 7-11 or Safeway though for most brevets. It really depends on where you're going. On-bike nutrition is always bottled or liquid though until around 14 hours in. At that point, its been pretty much anything goes. My nausea at 14+hours was only resolved when I started lowering the sheer amount of sugary drinks I was drinking and switched over to solids.

One of the things that helped during PBP was packets of this - https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/sport-recovery-drink-mix?variant=42707389957 Something about the protein and chocolate helped everything go down easier after I had this.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilJoven posted:

If you don't ride in the wee hours of the morning its harder to justify being three beers in by 11am.
This resonates strongly with me

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shadowhand00 posted:

On-bike nutrition is always bottled or liquid though until around 14 hours in.
I've had ok success with Perpetuem but once it's like warm :barf:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

just lol if you havnt eaten a cold mcdouble in the pitch black with ice cold January road water from your front tire spraying directly at your face

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

spf3million posted:

This resonates strongly with me

The difference between me and a vagrant is when I'm drinking in a beer vendor parking lot on my bicycle at 10am I'm wearing a helmet and Lycra.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i used to do this 70ish mile evening ride where i'd start at 7 and end by or around 11 but it's primarily on trails -- the w&od and c&o -- so i don't think i'll be starting that back up anytime soon even if they're baren during those hours.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Any idea what sort of bars these are? They look like some sort of aero/butterfly hybrid but I can't figure out what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

jiffypop45 posted:

Any idea what sort of bars these are? They look like some sort of aero/butterfly hybrid but I can't figure out what they are.

looks like a scott at-4