Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Arzachel posted:

If anti-burn in tech can't prevent phone screens from displaying noticable patterns a year in, I wouldn't trust it for a monitor that I'm expecting to use for 5+ years

I have an OLED PVM which I use as my main desktop with roughly 22 000 hours on it according to the service menu.

No burn in whatsoever. Couple of stuck pixels though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

To parrot other posters: the LG 27GL850-B and 27GL83A-B are common recs here, and the 27GL83A-B will occasionally drop to ~$350 on Amazon if you're willing wait and watch. HDR isn't really something to care about, especially for monitors for gaming and in that price range. If you have a GPU that supports either GSync (as an Nvidia card) or Freesync (as an AMD card), it'll work fine on the LG.

Is the main difference between those 2 LG monitors that one is IPS and one is Nano IPS? Is that a big difference? Sounds like the main benefit of Nano is better WCG/HDR.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Splinter posted:

Is the main difference between those 2 LG monitors that one is IPS and one is Nano IPS? Is that a big difference? Sounds like the main benefit of Nano is better WCG/HDR.

The main (only) difference is one has a USB hub in the back and the other does not. There may also be some difference with panel binning or something like that, but nobody I've seen has ever been able to confirm that there is really any difference there. Same panel, same backlight, same stand, same frame, same on screen display, heck, even the same driver (the 83A is identified as an 850 in windows)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
This is probably a dumb question, but how much better is a recent 1440p/144Hz IPS monitor (like the 27GL83A-B) than an old IPS from the previous decade? I dug out my Dell U2312HM (2013, 1920x1080 IPS) for work-from-home and it's been a life saver, but I'd like to build a gaming PC towards the end of the year when the new AMD and Nvidia parts come out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

curried lamb of God posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how much better is a recent 1440p/144Hz IPS monitor (like the 27GL83A-B) than an old IPS from the previous decade? I dug out my Dell U2312HM (2013, 1920x1080 IPS) for work-from-home and it's been a life saver, but I'd like to build a gaming PC towards the end of the year when the new AMD and Nvidia parts come out.

The U2312HM was a pretty fantastic monitor, so you might be surprised that the LG isn't noticeably better in most regards. However, 144Hz vs 60Hz is immediately noticeable even on the desktop, and once you get use to it it's hard to go back. Otherwise, colors, viewing angles, etc., are all pretty similar between the two monitors.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

DrDork posted:

The U2312HM was a pretty fantastic monitor, so you might be surprised that the LG isn't noticeably better in most regards. However, 144Hz vs 60Hz is immediately noticeable even on the desktop, and once you get use to it it's hard to go back. Otherwise, colors, viewing angles, etc., are all pretty similar between the two monitors.

Thanks! I'm in no rush to get anything, so I'll probably buy a new one when I build a PC and keep this one as a second (vertical?) screen. I dabble in photography, so I was hoping that a new IPS would deliver the same color quality.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If you do photography, you might consider looking for one with a wider color space. Some support full DCI-P3 profiles now, which is considerably wider than the~100% sRGB on your current (and that LG) monitor.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just installed the LG 27GL83A-B that seems to be so popular. I'm liking it so far. Color adjustment was tough for my taste, but the monitor presets had one called "vivid" that seems to work out the best. Whites and greys actually look white instead of yellowish. It disables all the other adjustments except for brightness, and I gotta so it does feel very bright even toned down tho 35/100

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Given that the OP is super outdated, can anybody give some recommendations for a PC gaming monitor?

current setup:
3x 24" 1080p 60hz (dell E2414 x 2 as the sides and some old Asus as the middle/main)
1070 GPU
i5 2500k (still somehow working) @4.3
16gb ram

I'm looking for something bigger and better than what I have as a main screen and will reuse one of the others as a 2nd and maybe 3rd monitor if I decide to keep 3. I'm thinking Gsync might be good (if it's worth it?) if the price has come down at all from a couple years back when it was $600 to even get one. Thinking around 27" and maybe 1440p but open to other ideas since I don't know anything. I don't really have a budget in mind but let's say cap of $3-400, though less is always preferable.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 24, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

27 inches is the sweet spot for 1440p monitors when I checked in February and that's probably not changing until the new Display port revision and they have more bandwidth for data.

If you are going for a high refresh rate monitor Freesync / Gsync are an absolute must unless you are sure you can hit it in every game (60FPS looks stuttery on a 165Hz monitor that doesn't have an adaptive sync)

Freesync should work with both AMD and Nvid, I have the goon recommended Pixio Prime ($399.99) which is a 165Hz freesync works wonderfully with my RX5700

You are going to pay a premium for a 1440p144hz+ monitor that isn't 27inches. which is fine, it's just where the pixel density seems to have settled and the most monitors are competing so good quality monitors are affordable at that size. A 32 Inch monitor will remove features and still cost 50% more.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 24, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The LG 27GL83A is $350ish when available on Amazon (set up a nowinstock alert, it usually sells out very fast) and right now is generally the best buy for what you're looking for. It doesn't have great contrast but given your focus on gaming it's probably your best choice. Nvidia has supported Freesync on 10 series and newer GPUs since january 2019, and good Freesync monitors work very well. A 1070 is certainly not going to drive new titles at very high framerates at 1440p, but you'll be able to get playable framerates at reasonable settings at worst.

There are a variety of other options that are quite good for various specific goals or at specific prices, but they've all gone up in price/down in availability since covid and the LG has become the general best option.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lister posted:

I just installed the LG 27GL83A-B that seems to be so popular. I'm liking it so far. Color adjustment was tough for my taste, but the monitor presets had one called "vivid" that seems to work out the best. Whites and greys actually look white instead of yellowish. It disables all the other adjustments except for brightness, and I gotta so it does feel very bright even toned down tho 35/100

TFTCentral has ICC profiles for the 27GL850 (same panel, I believe) here, if you wanted to compare and (pun somewhat intended) contrast: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#l

TFTC has their brightness on the 850 down at *23*.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

TFTCentral has ICC profiles for the 27GL850 (same panel, I believe) here, if you wanted to compare and (pun somewhat intended) contrast: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#l

TFTC has their brightness on the 850 down at *23*.

Thanks! I had actually checked the site and saw that but didn't realize it could still work the same,

K8.0 posted:

The LG 27GL83A is $350ish when available on Amazon (set up a nowinstock alert, it usually sells out very fast) and right now is generally the best buy for what you're looking for. It doesn't have great contrast but given your focus on gaming it's probably your best choice. Nvidia has supported Freesync on 10 series and newer GPUs since january 2019, and good Freesync monitors work very well. A 1070 is certainly not going to drive new titles at very high framerates at 1440p, but you'll be able to get playable framerates at reasonable settings at worst.

There are a variety of other options that are quite good for various specific goals or at specific prices, but they've all gone up in price/down in availability since covid and the LG has become the general best option.

I bought it for $380 less than a week before the price dropped and found out Amazon doesn't refund the difference on items anymore. If you see it for $350 I'd say jump on it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Huh.

Seems the 27GL83A and 27GL850 might NOT be the same exact panel: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-27gl850-vs-lg-27gl83a-b/912/1627

"The main difference between these two monitors is that the LG 27GL83A has an sRGB color gamut backlight whereas the 27GL850 covers a wider DCI-P3 color space."

The RTINGS scores are all within a reasonable margin of error of each other, though, which makes me ALSO wonder if it's just that single change.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 25, 2020

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I posted earlier back about getting a new monitor to be my main, and am considering maybe just getting a 1440p 144hz so that even if my current GPU couldn't run at the full specs, I'm setup a bit for an eventual upgrade.

Is running a 1440p 144hz monitor at lower resolutions and/or refresh rates going to work in the meantime or is there something generally bad about it? It's just that, for my second monitor I could do an upgrade from my current 1080p 60hz but it doesn't seem worth it to just do 1080p 144hz because the price difference up to 1440p isn't that much. But I'm not convinced that my setup could run 1440p games with my current GPU.

Or should I just forget it and get another 1080p 60hz since I'm not yet ready for a GPU upgrade?

Current specs are AMD Ryzen 5, GeForce GTX 1660 Super Phoenix OC 6GB, 16GB RAM, ASRock B450 motherboard

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Huh.

Seems the 27GL83A and 27GL850 might NOT be the same exact panel: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/lg-27gl850-vs-lg-27gl83a-b/912/1627

"The main difference between these two monitors is that the LG 27GL83A has an sRGB color gamut backlight whereas the 27GL850 covers a wider DCI-P3 color space."

The RTINGS scores are all within a reasonable margin of error of each other, though, which makes me ALSO wonder if it's just that single change.

When you look at the test results in that link, yeah, its the same panel and same backlight. In fact, the 83A actually has better DCI-P3 and Rec 2020 coverage than the 850 they tested. :v: I've got one and I can tell you it absolutely has the HDR backlight and ive got the hardware calibration results to prove it.

That said, the 83A is not advertised as having it, so like... i can't guarantee everyone will have it when they test theirs, maybe they are puttin different panels in different batches i dunno!!!

But everyone I know who has tested it has confirmed its the same, as far as i've seen.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

I posted earlier back about getting a new monitor to be my main, and am considering maybe just getting a 1440p 144hz so that even if my current GPU couldn't run at the full specs, I'm setup a bit for an eventual upgrade.

Is running a 1440p 144hz monitor at lower resolutions and/or refresh rates going to work in the meantime or is there something generally bad about it? It's just that, for my second monitor I could do an upgrade from my current 1080p 60hz but it doesn't seem worth it to just do 1080p 144hz because the price difference up to 1440p isn't that much. But I'm not convinced that my setup could run 1440p games with my current GPU.

Or should I just forget it and get another 1080p 60hz since I'm not yet ready for a GPU upgrade?

Current specs are AMD Ryzen 5, GeForce GTX 1660 Super Phoenix OC 6GB, 16GB RAM, ASRock B450 motherboard

Very much depends on what you're playing and whether you mind sacrificing some graphics settings for framerate. Unless RDR2 is all you play, a 1660S should pull at least 1440p@60fps with some stuff turned down a tad.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Arzachel posted:

Very much depends on what you're playing and whether you mind sacrificing some graphics settings for framerate. Unless RDR2 is all you play, a 1660S should pull at least 1440p@60fps with some stuff turned down a tad.

Playing Escape from Tarkov at the moment. If I do get a 1440p 144hz monitor and whatever future game I get can't run that high on my GPU, will I have problems/issues running at a lower resolution and/or refresh rate?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Refresh rate no, but turning a 1440p to 1080p looks like rear end.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

As long as you can keep your framerate in the range of the monitor's active sync it will look the same as getting a steady 144 or whatever your rate is. Check the specs for the active sync range.

It should be pretty easy to find will look something like AMD Radeon FreeSync Premium Certified (Range 48-165Hz @DisplayPort, 48-144Hz @HDMI), G-Sync compatible which means everything looks amazing at 48-165FPS you don't want to run outside that range.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
165hz 1ms QHD IPS is 399 at best buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-legion-y27q-20-27-ips-led-qhd-freesync-gaming-monitor-raven-black/6404024.p?skuId=6404024

I'm using this monitor and it is fantastic. It's normally much more expensive but this price seems to be more in line with LG. AFAIK it's the LG panel.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Refresh rate no, but turning a 1440p to 1080p looks like rear end.

Ah drat, it seems then I'm sort of stuck with either getting a new GPU (after just building this PC a few months ago) and 1440p monitor, or just getting my 2nd monitor as just another 1080p 60z (it seems 1080p 144hz options are all really pricey for what they are) until I choose to upgrade in the future (which will mean a 3rd monitor purchase and GPU in the future). Well I'm happy enough anyways at 1080p in terms of graphics so no need to spend money just because.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A 1660S can drive 1440p just fine, especially in something as GPU-light as Tarkokv. You should not let that hold you back from buying a new monitor.

e - also, to be clear for you, the way VRR works you don't actually want your framerate to be above the max refresh for your monitor. Capping your framerate is very normal. There's a bit more to it than that but the point is that you don't buy a monitor based on always being able to put out frames fast enough for its max refresh rate.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 25, 2020

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I want to get a new monitor for 1080p60 gaming on a GTX1070/Ryzen 3600 setup (I will probably upgrade the video card for xmas). I'm upgrading from a ~10 year old 24" ASUS TN 1080p panel so I want something with an IPS panel and maybe a larger screen size. My budget is ~$200 and it doesn't have to be a high refresh rate monitor. Any suggestions? I looked around on Amazon and I'm just overwhelmed by all the choices on there. I did come across this one that looks good for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BYRR3L?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Somewhat on-topic, I just ran a major update on my desktop OS and on reboot found a number of things fixed, but thought I saw a couple of dead pixels on my 3-month old Acer monitor and was a little dismayed. A glasses-cleaning microfiber cloth didn't have an effect, but a little water and soft paper towel and they're gone. I'm not sure what could have stuck to the display that was small enough to look like dead pixels, but I'm relieved it was apparently surface muck of some kind.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

spasticColon posted:

I want to get a new monitor for 1080p60 gaming on a GTX1070/Ryzen 3600 setup (I will probably upgrade the video card for xmas). I'm upgrading from a ~10 year old 24" ASUS TN 1080p panel so I want something with an IPS panel and maybe a larger screen size. My budget is ~$200 and it doesn't have to be a high refresh rate monitor. Any suggestions? I looked around on Amazon and I'm just overwhelmed by all the choices on there. I did come across this one that looks good for the price:

I think you’re aiming low with that budget. With a 1070 with that CPU you can push more than 60hz at 1080p — you should be able to find a 1080p IPS @144fps+ that’s still under your $200 budget.

Just keep in mind that you don’t want to go bigger that 24” in 1080p because the image quality really begins to suffer (pixels per inch gets too low). Just make sure that you’re double checking that it’s IPS. If you’re reading specs on a monitor and it’s not listed always assume the worst (60hz, TN panel, etc).

E: 27” looks bad on 1080p. Stick with 24” or move to a TN 1440p panel with that budget IMO — keep an eye out for deals on Reddit, I got my kids two off brand 1440p 165hz monitors for $200 a piece. If you’re patient, you can find a deal — granted, this was pre-coronavirus so ymmv.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 26, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spasticColon posted:

What do you play and what is your use-case that you want to stay at 24" 1080p? I was at 1080p on a 60hz 24" TN panel for 10 years, and when I upgraded my desktop to modern hardware I also jumped to 27" 1440p at 144hz. I was running a 1060 6GB card for graphics and it could kind of keep up, but for the games I play not quite sufficient so I then for a 2070 Super.

Depending on what you play and what your framerate demands are a 1070 might be fine for driving a 1440p monitor.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

spasticColon posted:

If you're on a budget, get a 27" 1440p 60hz IPS. That means upping your budget with about $100, but it's well worth it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Wibla posted:

If you're on a budget, get a 27" 1440p 60hz IPS. That means upping your budget with about $100, but it's well worth it.

I just came across this one for $250 or would 1440p look like crap on a 32 inch screen?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32QK500-C...437&s=pc&sr=1-3

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

spasticColon posted:

I just came across this one for $250 or would 1440p look like crap on a 32 inch screen?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32QK500-C...437&s=pc&sr=1-3

It'll look like crap, don't buy that.

If you don't have the extra $100 to buy something decent right now, consider saving until you do? Good monitors last forever and are well worth putting a bit of money into. Buy cheap = buy twice.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm planning on upgrading to the new top-end GPUs that are coming out soon-ish and I'm looking to upgrade from my Acer Predator XB271HUAbmiprz 27" 144Hz monitor.

I know that it's been said a lot in the last 50 or so pages of the thread that 4k monitors are not worth getting right now, but on the other hand I'm going to want to put that GPU to good use when I get it, so if I were to insist on splashing out on a nice 4k monitor (I'm looking for either 27" or 32" or thereabouts) what would be the current recommendations? Is this even worth me asking about now, speculatively, or should I just wait about 6 months or so when I'm looking to actually make the purchase and stick my head back into the thread to see if the situation is markedly different then?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

4k gaming monitors are still extremely mediocre at best and really not an upgrade for you. The best option right now are the LG OLED TVs, but they're also sorta stuck in a holding pattern until we get HDMI 2.1 GPUs. New monitors tend to start coming out around CES, so about 6 months from now is the soonest I realistically expect to see anything like you want that's actually worth considering.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cactus posted:

I'm planning on upgrading to the new top-end GPUs that are coming out soon-ish and I'm looking to upgrade from my Acer Predator XB271HUAbmiprz 27" 144Hz monitor.

Please understand that even if the GPUs are announced in September (and that's not a guarantee), there's a very real possibility that you won't actually be able to buy one until closer to the end of the year unless you're ok way overpaying and/or trying to snipe restocks.

As such, there may not really be a whole lot of time gap between when you get that GPU and when a HDMI 2.1 / DP 2.0 4k monitor is available that won't force you to make the compromises the current iterations do.

Basically there's no reason to set your eye on a monitor right now. Check back when NVidia actually announces availability and see what the monitor world is doing then.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Wibla posted:

It'll look like crap, don't buy that.

If you don't have the extra $100 to buy something decent right now, consider saving until you do? Good monitors last forever and are well worth putting a bit of money into. Buy cheap = buy twice.

I just bought that exact monitor, it’s the same dpi as a 24” 1080p panel and it looks fine, especially given that you sit further away from it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
It’ll look like crap is a odd claim to make about that monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Won't look like crap, but I would definitely say that if you intend on upgrading your GPU sometime this fall/winter, you should probably save your money until you can afford a monitor that is better matched to the rest of your hardware. It's one of the longest-lasting pieces of any build, it's not a place to skimp.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DrDork posted:

Basically there's no reason to set your eye on a monitor right now. Check back when NVidia actually announces availability and see what the monitor world is doing then.

I've no choice but to do this, really. I just wanted to see where things are at now and I'm hoping the GPU cycle refresh drives the evolution of the monitor world by around Christmas/ early next year to the point where there's enough demand for 4k screens that companies start to seriously compete in that space.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If nVidia can keep the DLSS voodoo going like they did with Death Stranding at 4K@60Hz it might not make 4K gaming a complete joke.

I know it has me feeling a lot better for suggesting to friends the 2060S as a starting point for GPUs for their new five-year systems. Their not having to worry about driving their 120-144Hz 1440p screens for potentially the life of their systems makes me feel all :v:.

Also, don't forget there are 1600 and 1800p UltraWides now. 4K needn't be the end all be all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cactus posted:

I looked it up because I wanted to see what that monitor looked like, and it appears even loving Acer can't keep track of their naming conventions and the info page for that monitor claims it is IPS in the early part of the page but then lists it as TN in the specs part of the page.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.HX1AA.A01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Somewhat on-topic, I just ran a major update on my desktop OS and on reboot found a number of things fixed, but thought I saw a couple of dead pixels on my 3-month old Acer monitor and was a little dismayed. A glasses-cleaning microfiber cloth didn't have an effect, but a little water and soft paper towel and they're gone. I'm not sure what could have stuck to the display that was small enough to look like dead pixels, but I'm relieved it was apparently surface muck of some kind.

Massaging pixels is a common fix so they may actually have been dead pixels after all.