Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Played the other night and sank a skele sloop that was hanging out near the dock. It never spawned loot - has that happened to anyone else?

Yes, occasionally you get stiffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Zwabu posted:

Yes, occasionally you get boned.

Jesus, the joke was right there.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Should I buy this game on Steam to play with goons? I want to play this with goons

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Weird thing happened last night, my friend and I were killing the ghost ship event when a galleon came and stayed pretty far out of range. They invited both of us to a voice chat through the xbox client (we are on PC) where they started talking hilarious amounts of trash talk about hacking us and sinking us if we don't give them our loot. Is there a way to see who is on your server so you can invite them to chat? We were never in range of them to where they could see our tags and we were never boarded. Their chat ended up backfiring since they sounded like a bunch of younger kids playing with their dad so instead of us trying to avoid them we promptly sent them to the bottom of the ocean after the ghost ship final wave when they tried to come bully the loot away.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Weird thing happened last night, my friend and I were killing the ghost ship event when a galleon came and stayed pretty far out of range. They invited both of us to a voice chat through the xbox client (we are on PC) where they started talking hilarious amounts of trash talk about hacking us and sinking us if we don't give them our loot. Is there a way to see who is on your server so you can invite them to chat? We were never in range of them to where they could see our tags and we were never boarded. Their chat ended up backfiring since they sounded like a bunch of younger kids playing with their dad so instead of us trying to avoid them we promptly sent them to the bottom of the ocean after the ghost ship final wave when they tried to come bully the loot away.

Maybe one of them snuck closer to you?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mikemo Tyson posted:

On the xbox companion app there is a 'recent players' sort option under friends&clubs. If you get close enough to talk to them or see their gamer tag they should show up there and then you can message them or invite to groups or voice chat. I hardly ever open that app though so whenever I do I just have a bunch of old trash talk messages waiting for me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

rt4 posted:

Should I buy this game on Steam to play with goons? I want to play this with goons

It's very much a game to get on sale, but not at full price. Playing with goons is excellent chill, but it's something you play to pass time and chat, not because there's any progress you want to make in the game.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

It's very much a game to get on sale, but not at full price. Playing with goons is excellent chill, but it's something you play to pass time and chat, not because there's any progress you want to make in the game.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like I need something more goal-oriented.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
I love this game so much. I've been playing pretty regularly for about the last month, after convincing about a half-dozen folks on a discord server of friends to pick it up when it dropped on steam. I haven't played with a pubbie since the first few times I logged in. Everyone's generally compentent and communicative but have roles and activities they prefer over others, and we rarely sail out with any particular goals but we haven't had a boring night yet.

We don't have the fanciest gear or livery and apparently look like easy targets, which makes for a really satisfying bit of emergent gameplay like the other night when some folks flying a reaper flag decides to chase and trash talk us as we silently tack into position for a few map squares before a sneaky explosive barrel delivery, boarding, and an anchor turn into broadsides cannon blasts. I think one of us caught on recording the bit when we were close enough to hear their in-game VC, panicking and arguing with each other about needing bailing and sail adjustments.

scopes fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 15, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

scopes posted:

I love this game so much. I've been playing pretty regularly for about the last month, after convincing about a half-dozen folks on a discord server of friends to pick it up when it dropped on steam. I haven't played with a pubbie since the first few times I logged in. Everyone's generally compentent and communicative but have roles and activities they prefer over others, and we rarely sail out with any particular goals but we haven't had a boring night yet.

We don't have the fanciest gear or livery and apparently look like easy targets, which makes for a really satisfying bit of emergent gameplay like the other night when some folks flying a reaper flag decides to chase and trash talk us as we silently tack into position for a few map squares before a sneaky explosive barrel delivery, boarding, and an anchor turn into broadsides cannon blasts. I think one of us caught on recording the bit when we were close enough to hear their in-game VC, panicking and arguing with each other about needing bailing and sail adjustments.

always love when a new player chooses "I would like to improve and get better when someone chases me" instead of "why are people pirating in this pirate game"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The game is designed that way IMO. Getting sunk during combat is really fun and you generally don't lose much. Good move on the devs part.

My group just started the game too and we've never won a battle, except against a skelesloop. Grabbing your valuable stuff as you sink and trying to swim for an island while your buddies retrieve the ship is great fun.

I stole a solo player's ship and was feeling good until I remembered how respawning works, and got shot in the back.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

smoobles posted:

The game is designed that way IMO. Getting sunk during combat is really fun and you generally don't lose much. Good move on the devs part.

My group just started the game too and we've never won a battle, except against a skelesloop. Grabbing your valuable stuff as you sink and trying to swim for an island while your buddies retrieve the ship is great fun.

I stole a solo player's ship and was feeling good until I remembered how respawning works, and got shot in the back.

for sure, the stakes are both very high and extremely low at the same time

my group managed to straight-up steal a ship once when the guy just ... didn't respawn. We used it as a decoy to sink another ship and it ruled

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

for sure, the stakes are both very high and extremely low at the same time

It's definitely this. Pulling off a PvP victory feels like an insane accomplishment; getting sunk has never really lost us anything.

We tried our first skull fort in DR a few weeks ago and about halfway through, the volcano erupted, mist rolled in, *and* a player brig showed up. I don't think I did anything else but slam boards and bail for what seemed like an eternity while the away team got back to the ship to help right the masts and get us turned about. Ended up repelling boarders, dragged the fight out away from the island, sank 'em, looted their ship, and finished the fort. Felt like we won the fuckin' game.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Find someone with a Reaper emissary and do some cool PvP that way if you don’t want to do arena. A lot of newer players freak out when you have a Reaper up, since they think you’re good (I’m not) and the psychological factor can help. Hopefully you have a good crew, as an expert boarder can basically win the fight on their own while the ship guys shoot 2-3 shots at a time to help the boarder cause chaos. Bonus is that all you lose is a L1 emissary flag until you’re onto the 2nd ship.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think nothing is more satisfying in Sea off Thieves than winning back some loot some ganker took off of you.

Yesterday we were chasing a brig who had completed a fort of the dammed. Rather than fight us (we were a sloop) he was being cagey circling outposts and Reaper’s, probably dropping off crew to sell the more premium items and sending the odd boarder our way. He finally stopped at Golden Sands to do the majority of his turn in and we got a nice bow rake approach and were lighting him up with a nice volley when another plain sloop with a rainbow flag rolled up. Rather than helping us finish off the brig, who were still festooned with the FOTD colored lanterns, and then fight us over any loot, they attacked us. A guy from the ship boarded with a keg and I only saw the keg as I was slashing him at the top of our ladder. My crew mate and I died and even though we actually didn’t sink from that and were able to get bailed and repaired it set the stage for where we eventually sank after some more fighting. They were able to get the single Hateful Bounty Skull that I’d neglected to sell earlier.

We spawned nearby and made a beeline for Golden Sands and found our rainbow friends nearby. After a brief chase they opted to turn and fight as they were going to run out of map. During a couple of cannon exchanges where both ships took damage they attempted a boarding which we thwarted by killing their pirate as he came aboard. Immediately after this i was shocked to see their ship roll over and sink. We’d definitely put damage on them but nothing epic where I’d expect any possibility they’d sink without boarding and wiping their crew. I could only assume one of our cannon hits knocked their other crew off the ship or killed him while the other guy boarded us so there was no one left to bail or repair. Or they were simply dumb and ignored damage control for way too long.

We recovered my beloved Hateful Bounty skull and one other skull of theirs. Selling that stuff at the hideout was more satisfying than any Athena or Flameheart haul I’ve sold.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I just like ringing the bell while my ship zooms through rough waves on a sunny day

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It used to be when my sloop would crest a particularly big wave I'd take my pistol out and shoot the bell, it seemed like the thing to do. Then they moved it to the other side of the mast and I was sad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Caidin posted:

It used to be when my sloop would crest a particularly big wave I'd take my pistol out and shoot the bell, it seemed like the thing to do. Then they moved it to the other side of the mast and I was sad.

Speaking of waves I really want a rogue tidal wave event that requires you to steer into it or take damage, that would rule

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Riding the storm is so much fun.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
We put up the reaper flag last night, sank a brig that had pulled up a reaper chest, then sailed around with it for an hour or so enjoying all the attention we were getting.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Reaper chests should trickle Emissary xp while on your ship

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it should bank it, getting more and more valuable, so you can keep an eye on someone who has it and let 'em fatten up before taking them down lol

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
More valuable the more it’s stolen?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It comes back to the usual problem that it's trivial to farm that kind of thing with an alliance.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Chev posted:

It comes back to the usual problem that it's trivial to farm that kind of thing with an alliance.

Everything is trivial to farm in an alliance. But all the rewards are trivial as well.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Could probably do something where a chest marks you and gets more valuable the longer it's not turned in up to some cap.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.
I absolutely love just logging in and ruining someone's session. Ship docked at a non-port island? It's getting rammed and lit on fire. Ship docked at a port in a way that makes it clear it wasn't spawned in? Rammed, lit on fire.

I suck poo poo at PVP but god drat I like destroying people's ships.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I was playing with randoms the other day and we were parked in an island and one was just shooting off a random cannon on the island despite us having found all the loot, and then a player ship rolled through and dropped some dude off who went below deck and threw a bunch of fire bombs, told us to gently caress ourselves, and then died to the fire. We tossed water on it for about 30 seconds and then sailed off as if nothing had happened. Was that you?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You firebomb the masts because it freaks newbies out like nothing else.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
There is a certain joy in playacting as a general nuisance, just another environmental hazard.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

V for Vegans posted:

then a player ship rolled through and dropped some dude off who went below deck and threw a bunch of fire bombs, told us to gently caress ourselves, and then died to the fire.

This just makes me smile, start to finish.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

V for Vegans posted:

I was playing with randoms the other day and we were parked in an island and one was just shooting off a random cannon on the island despite us having found all the loot, and then a player ship rolled through and dropped some dude off who went below deck and threw a bunch of fire bombs, told us to gently caress ourselves, and then died to the fire. We tossed water on it for about 30 seconds and then sailed off as if nothing had happened. Was that you?

It takes so long to sink to a fire, its really only good for attrition damage so you can one shot people and inducing panic. Plus if you have a danger hole it makes it stupid easy to put out all the fire, then board it up. Does it seems like a fire bomb fired from a cannon start bigger fires though, or is that just confirmation bias?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
You can tell who knows that every play session has to end with a ceremonial burning of the ship and who doesn’t based on how scared they are of the ship burning.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

You can tell who knows that every play session has to end with a ceremonial burning of the ship and who doesn’t based on how scared they are of the ship burning.

Oh drat, this isn't just us?? :hellyeah:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Welp. :smith: that'll teach me to believe "all stats are being tracked, rewards will credited later"

https://twitter.com/SoT_Support/status/1286294519495954433?s=19

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

V for Vegans posted:

Lmao, we do this too. Burn the ship while dancing.

I also had to leave early once, so I invited my crewmates to the front of the boat to play a song together, then i said "alright bye", threw a firebomb on the floor, then jumped overboard and quit the game.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

smoobles posted:

Lmao, we do this too. Burn the ship while dancing.

I also had to leave early once, so I invited my crewmates to the front of the boat to play a song together, then i said "alright bye", threw a firebomb on the floor, then jumped overboard and quit the game.

I think one of the achievements is to play a shanty while your ship sinks, I don't remember if scuttling is necessary.

I play SoT for 4-5 hour increments in between doing email queues for work and mturk stuff, and my 'video driver has crashed' will come up about once. Randomly. Today it happened after I successfully got onboard and tucked on a galleon, probably open crew. I was hoping to practice my patience and wait for somebody to bring a 'splody boy on board so I could wreak havoc but when you d/c you just end up at your ship wherever it is.

Also its a twitch drops week, if you link your SoT to twitch and watch an affiliated streamer for 30 minutes every day you'll get a Halo/Spartan themed piece of ship livery or maybe a weapon skin. Today is the wheel.

*edit* link to the shiz: https://www.seaofthieves.com/twitch-drops

Sekhmnet fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 24, 2020

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

V for Vegans posted:

It was not. I always congratulate people when it is clear I am going to die. I am, as scopes said, an environmental hazard. Overcoming the minor annoyance that is me is not something I am going to curse at people for doing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Some pirates come up with good poo poo in this game. (We had just sunk this sloop.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Just had a great experience today. My buddy and I were slooping it up as Reapers. We turned in our loot at level 5 and decided to keep the flag and hunt emissaries. Saw one on the chart up at Sailor's Bounty and were going for the ambush while they were docked (at least as much as you CAN ambush when you're labeled on the map :laugh:). As we arrived a non emissary brig rolled in hot on us. We skirmished with the brig, and then the other emissary, an Order of Souls level 3 sloop, engaged the brig. We decided our best odds against the brig, who seemed a decent crew in our initial skirmish with them, was to attack the brig while we had, potentially, a 2 on 1 situation with both sloops against the brig. I took down both of the brig's masts with chain and our makeshift alliance (there was no formal alliance or any communication at all between us except we were both hitting the brig and not shooting at each other) began pounding the brig into oblivion. I was going over to board them to help seal the deal when we all got engulfed in a Kraken, with the Kraken tentacles sucking up my crewmate and myself as I was about to board the brig. During all this, the brig sank due to a combination of the grievous damage we'd put on her as well as the Kraken's damage and its tentacles taking crew off the ship. They had no loot.

Our sloop made it out of the Kraken but we could see the Order of Souls sloop was getting hammered, and to make matters worse a skelly galleon showed up and was pounding her too. She looked certain to sink. We could easily have taken advantage of the situation and either actively helped sink her or just waited for the PvE to sink her and go collect her flag and loot, but we felt bad about the situation since they'd done us a solid helping sink the brig. So my buddy cannoned over to her, announcing he was there to help (lol sure everyone has heard that one before) and helped her repair, bail and fight the Kraken while I sniped Kraken arms from outside the ink. The Kraken was defeated and the skelly galleon despawned/dove after a while.

They were completely out of supplies including no lumber. As we had 3 storage crates and tons of supplies I threw some cannonballs and wood into a crate and swam it to them and played some music for them, and they gave us an Ashen skull, and we went our separate ways.

My heart grew three sizes that day!

I... don't know exactly how to feel about this.

A shameful Reaper.