Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

the theater code is "RIFFTRAX"

y'know... I should have guessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/1286100460110262273

I guess it didn't go well?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the entire thing exploded on the runway. mike couldn't hear anyone so he just started singing to himself and then trying to think of "stranger things" jokes. he had something about throwing "stranger rings" into mount doom.
now 3,000 people are watching mike ramble while they try tech support.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe they should have done a dry run or something before doing the full show.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

It looks like they did have a dry run right before the show. People were watching Godzilla'98. Maybe scener didn't count on 3K people showing up.

e:

InsertPotPun posted:

they're playing the '98" godzilla" while we wait for the "stranger things" rifftrax to begin.

ee: I BELIEVE

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
haha mike is so loving bad at technology. i thought i was but holy poo poo.

edit:it's back until mike breaks it again

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 23, 2020

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Apparently the key to the quality is booting Bill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's funny is that they tried to do a livestreaming thing on the Rifftrax site way back in the day and it didn't work then either.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It's been going great for a while now

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

they even got Bill back

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

muscles like this! posted:

What's funny is that they tried to do a livestreaming thing on the Rifftrax site way back in the day and it didn't work then either.

Yeah, it was Shake Hands with Danger and Planet of Dinosaurs. I remember trying to watch that and it just kinda fell apart. But they released downloads to the ticket holders not long after.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Well that was fun.

And yes, you can't cast. There is a couple seconds of delay before Chromecast picks up the stream, and the riffs go out of sync

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

the entire thing exploded on the runway. mike couldn't hear anyone so he just started singing to himself and then trying to think of "stranger things" jokes. he had something about throwing "stranger rings" into mount doom.
now 3,000 people are watching mike ramble while they try tech support.
Mike said he bought a bag of crooked golf clubs: Stranger PINGs. Come on where is the tag? ...and now I've got stranger swings.

It was pretty funny that the riff finally started to go OK then Mike just kept singing and telling jokes over the riff because he could not hear.

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, it was Shake Hands with Danger ...
Der deer deer deer deer da deeerrrrrrr

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ARSmith76/status/1286115212530266118

That's so good I'm almost angry about it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I finally accepted the challenge and bought Rock n' Roll Nightmare and Ice Cream Man!

Rock n' Roll Nightmare is another of my stream favorites and it was overdue for a proper purchase.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

King Vidiot posted:

I finally accepted the challenge and bought Rock n' Roll Nightmare and Ice Cream Man!

Rock n' Roll Nightmare is another of my stream favorites and it was overdue for a proper purchase.

The first time I watched it, I must've rewound the opening van sequence like 5 times. There are so many good jokes in that one part. It ends very weak in my opinion but the first half of the movie is one of my favorites.

Also I feel like Frank and Trace play themselves a bit more, at least in Glen or Glenda? anyway, and MKB seems to riff more in character a bit? If that makes sense.

Also Devil Girl from Mars is hilarious too, although I just noticed it's not available on the site right now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AvesPKS posted:

The first time I watched it, I must've rewound the opening van sequence like 5 times. There are so many good jokes in that one part. It ends very weak in my opinion but the first half of the movie is one of my favorites.

A weak ending?! An oiled up man in a codpiece tears apart little rubber throwing stars and then battling a giant puppet! That's an ending on par with Michael Corleone getting his revenge on the other Mafia heads!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Unless you mean, like, light on riffs then I don't see how you can say the ending is weak. Say what you want about Thor Michael Vincent, he really put the "vanity" in "vanity project" with that final sequence where he strips down to a Speedo and spiked collar, teases his hair, oils his chest and does battle with sea cucumbers, set to his own music. And I don't even know if he knows how ridiculous it is.

You don't even need to riff something like that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMRsVs5skU

I don't know if the thread knows about this but now we all do.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Haha, I tried my hardest not to combine the names of Jon Mikl Thor and Jan Michael Vincent and then I went ahead and did it anyways. I think something is seriously wrong with my brain lately :psyduck:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A riff for Avengers: Endgame got released just now.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Am I the only one who doesn't really get anything from riffs to competently made movies?
That avenger movie is going to be as formulaic as any superhero flic but I only burst into laughter with poo poo like Puma Man.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
switching to vod was the best decision they ever made.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

By popular demand posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really get anything from riffs to competently made movies?
That avenger movie is going to be as formulaic as any superhero flic but I only burst into laughter with poo poo like Puma Man.

Nope, I also much prefer the cheesier bad movie stuff from the 1990s on back, over the riffs on more modern-day stuff. Even something as terrible as Battlefield Earth isn't as funny to watch riffed when compared to a movie like Samurai Cop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Nope, I also much prefer the cheesier bad movie stuff from the 1990s on back, over the riffs on more modern-day stuff. Even something as terrible as Battlefield Earth isn't as funny to watch riffed when compared to a movie like Samurai Cop.

Yeah, Titanic and Twilight are the big exceptions for me, but on the whole I don't mess with the recent blockbusters.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Titanic and Twilight are the big exceptions for me, but on the whole I don't mess with the recent blockbusters.

I tend to gradually tune them out and actually watch the movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrMidnight posted:

I tend to gradually tune them out and actually watch the movie.

That's what I would do with the Marvel stuff, which is why I don't get them. If it helps, even riffed I still fell asleep during Titanic (which means I've never been able to stay away through the film any time I've watched it).

Avatar was another Just the Jokes blockbuster I liked now that I think about it. Karate Kid III is great too but you don't even really need riffs when you have Terry Silver negotiating with the Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes in a bubble bath.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I can probably do Endgame seeing as I've seen Endgame enough times that I can mostly ignore it.

If it's a MST3k episode or Rifftrax VOD, I sometimes miss jokes as I don't know the movies and still try to keep up with what's happening in it. That's why despite Cloverfield being a piece of poo poo movie, I remember nothing about the Rifftrax for it because I was trying to keep up with that paper thin plot.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Ready Player One was a fantastic riff, especially with the inclusion of some in jokes from 372 pages (looking at you, discreet openings in that hell of a rig). Also it meant that Mike had to learn what a Brony Jar was. It also helps that it was a garbage movie, same with Twilight, and (imo anyway) Avatar, Titanic, and Inception.

That said, even though I enjoy the Marvel stuff, I'd love to see more early 2000s or 1990s movies that were "competent" blockbusters but have not aged well or were always laughable (e.g. Armageddon, but not by the British guys).

I'd still pay a lot for Bridget & Mary Jo to tackle 50 shades, though.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Unless you mean, like, light on riffs then I don't see how you can say the ending is weak. Say what you want about Thor Michael Vincent, he really put the "vanity" in "vanity project" with that final sequence where he strips down to a Speedo and spiked collar, teases his hair, oils his chest and does battle with sea cucumbers, set to his own music. And I don't even know if he knows how ridiculous it is.

You don't even need to riff something like that.

I can't deny that the end sequence is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. I guess what I mean is, everything up until they get to the farmhouse is like pure distilled essential Rifftrax, to me. Like the van driving sequence makes me giggle like an idiot, and for me the rest of the Riff just kind of falls apart after he locks up the van and Australian battery commercial guy loses his accent.

By popular demand posted:

I've definitely found myself turning off the Riff on some of them if I haven't seen the movie in a long time and if it's a movie I like, as I'm often more caught up in the movie itself than the Riff. I mean I feel that they've proved they can make any riff funny. But I agree that the worse the movie the better the riff, in general.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bermuda Triangle is kind of goofy in how every actor is dubbed by someone who doesn't match at all, except for John Huston.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I vaguely remember the riff for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Jurrasic park being good but I recall literally nothing about the riff or film of D-Wars

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I was watching one of the Kickstarter riffs, "Senior Power" and they totally missed something absolutely crazy about it. There's a whole bit about a couple of young men who rob a senior citizen and then go on a car chase. In the credits one of the young men is listed as Leslies Moonves aka Les Moonves the head of CBS for years before he left due to sexual harassment claims.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Endgame riff is very good, even if the Hawkeye jokes are beyond stale by this point.

Thanos: "You could not live with your own failure."

Bill: "Golden Corral's new slogan!"

Also, best callback: "Hey, hey, hey! Pym's on the way!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

I don't know how anyone could squeeze a joke in during the ending. That was a rocket fueled explosion of a movie going off the deep end in a way my brain can't even take it all in. I feel like it was the right decision for the guys to ease off and just let me enjoy it.

I didn't want Rifftrax to change to VOD because I really liked the riffs of movies I would not have otherwise seen, like Twilight being a movie I tried to watch but couldn't and now have seen 3 or 4 times with the riff. I had never seen a Harry Potter movie until it was riffed as well, and the first couple were really funny. I've seen them all now but the first ones were the best because: WHIMSY! Now I only like the VODs, just the jokes are a just enough of a pain to watch or merge my rip with that I only get a handful of them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Just watching the avengers endgame:

Kevin: "so we're an hour in so this must be the Endgame"
Mike: "we're halfway through the first act"
Kevin screams in despair.

E:
That green lady: Stop.
Bill: Collaborate and listen.
Mike: Vanilla ice could be an avenger, make as much sense as anything.

E2:
drat this movie was tedious, some things just aren't worth the Riff.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 28, 2020

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I was just thinking how crazy it is that there's no riff for Reign of Fire, and of course there is. I can't remember if I've seen it but I'm definitely watching it soon. Just a ridiculous movie.

CapnBry posted:

I don't know how anyone could squeeze a joke in during the ending. That was a rocket fueled explosion of a movie going off the deep end in a way my brain can't even take it all in. I feel like it was the right decision for the guys to ease off and just let me enjoy it.

I didn't want Rifftrax to change to VOD because I really liked the riffs of movies I would not have otherwise seen, like Twilight being a movie I tried to watch but couldn't and now have seen 3 or 4 times with the riff. I had never seen a Harry Potter movie until it was riffed as well, and the first couple were really funny. I've seen them all now but the first ones were the best because: WHIMSY! Now I only like the VODs, just the jokes are a just enough of a pain to watch or merge my rip with that I only get a handful of them.

I agree with all of this. You're right, the end didn't need jokes.

I like having both, I'd guess the jokes only riffs were quicker and cheaper to do at first, then the VODs are more profitable, hence the switch in focus? I wish we still got both.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 28, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kwmurphy/status/1288176285127254025

Now I'm onboard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have to assume the VoDs are more profitable and I base that on I own like a hundred of these bloody things while I have like 3 of the audio only ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Caution: the short titled Bored At Work is actually about depression (guess old timey America was even worse about acknowledging psychological issues).
It also doesn't help.