Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Noirex posted:

It really bothers me that Jin can steal some poor peasant blind after helping them. But the player needs the mats/money for important combat upgrades, so I don't know how it can be fixed. It's going to be a thing as long as crafting resources are part of the gameplay loop.

It really doesn't have to be. Surely in the wide world of game development there is another way. A goon already mentioned making it more about finding caches of stuff. Or the game already has a mechanic where you can trade resources for others and it's not hard to imagine a game where you find larger amounts of items less often and purchasing upgrades is more about the exchanges you make rather than a lord stealing from his serfs.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I actually gotta say, it’s a bit weird and disappointing that you almost never fight any mounted archers in this game. Didn’t the Mongolian Army win so much because of how good their archers were on horseback?

The samurai were also pretty good horse archers but I guess they didn't want this game to really be about that. I look at the Mongols in the game as the crew left behind while the invading army has already moved on to the next islands of Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lord Sakai! I'm sorry I did not mean to deceive you. I am simply a starving farmer!

It is ok. Just be more honest in your future dealings... Also I already took all the poo poo from your shed. So anyway, catch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh by the way light attack in wind stance will parry a spear but you need to time it. I did one by accident before. Heavy is still the easy way.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think the light attack spear parry is actually a skill you buy

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Lobok posted:

It really doesn't have to be. Surely in the wide world of game development there is another way. A goon already mentioned making it more about finding caches of stuff. Or the game already has a mechanic where you can trade resources for others and it's not hard to imagine a game where you find larger amounts of items less often and purchasing upgrades is more about the exchanges you make rather than a lord stealing from his serfs.

I think the player needs a good incentive to go explore the world and finding/digging through random places for loot is part of the game play. If there's nothing lucrative to gain looking through farmer house #300 then it might be less enjoyable. The gift altar could be cool if expended further. Maybe there can be more consistent and significant crafting rewards there to make up for absolutely no mats/gold in peasant huts to rob, I don't know.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Babe Magnet posted:

I think the light attack spear parry is actually a skill you buy

They both are.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I feel like it would also be a little more fun to explore the world if you didn't have a bird constantly telling you where everything was and you can't disable it

at least photo mode is giving me a reason to hit some of the prettier, more hidden areas.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Picked the wrong loving time to land, buddy

https://i.imgur.com/FEeKjx2.mp4

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Babe Magnet posted:

I feel like it would also be a little more fun to explore the world if you didn't have a bird constantly telling you where everything was and you can't disable it

at least photo mode is giving me a reason to hit some of the prettier, more hidden areas.

Wtf, that bird is your mom though. You're such an ungrateful son

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Picked the wrong loving time to land, buddy

destroy all birds

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

destroy all birds

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Game good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Noirex posted:

I think the player needs a good incentive to go explore the world and finding/digging through random places for loot is part of the game play. If there's nothing lucrative to gain looking through farmer house #300 then it might be less enjoyable. The gift altar could be cool if expended further. Maybe there can be more consistent and significant crafting rewards there to make up for absolutely no mats/gold in peasant huts to rob, I don't know.

The hunt for resources in every location is the less enjoyable part. Exploration is cool but in this game that gets you more quests and collectibles and character upgrades. So far the resource scavenging is just showing me what late 13th century Japanese attics looked like.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

orcane posted:

Also the Jin + his horse poses at the end of quests are cute, but they're not "gotta wait another 30 seconds until I can move on" cute. Same for the "peasants return to their homes after you killed all the mongols" part.

Honestly I've gotten the strong suspicion that they're primarily used for hiding world loading.

Anyway, beat the game, loved the hell out of it, got the platinum. Now starting a NG because the core loop is fun and am weirdly pumped about it. Gonna wear different armor this time!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

NOT NOW MOM

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Just beat it. I want to get the platinum for it but don’t want to break my streak if 1 plat per console generation.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Re: getting photos off of console: You can also share them to "Activities" and then yank them out of my.playstation.com

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Magus42 posted:

Re: getting photos off of console: You can also share them to "Activities" and then yank them out of my.playstation.com

This is what I do. It's a bit cumbersome but works fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At some point can I dye the wanderers getup black?

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

At some point can I dye the wanderers getup black?

Yep, there's a black dye merchant in act 2 l!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love this random archer dude that's obviously been holding a tower in the first area forever. Entire hill is burnt or on fire when you rock up. Doesn't seem to be a mission, you climb up and he says "lord Sakai!" to which Jin replies "keep up the good work" lol.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Holy poo poo these duels in Act 2 do not gently caress around huh.

Hard was a good choice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maxy Boy posted:

Yep, there's a black dye merchant in act 2 l!

I found some dude with new black dyes for my gear in act 2, and the wanderer outfit was inexplicably not one of the ones available. I dyed the samurai armor black though.

I just want to rock a black wanderer gear with the deer antlers helmet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

veni veni veni posted:

I found some dude with new black dyes for my gear in act 2, and the wanderer outfit was inexplicably not one of the ones available. I dyed the samurai armor black though.

Did you upgrade the Wanderer clothes? Because they definitely have a black variant and it looks amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I have them at the second to last upgrade. Do I need to max them out or something?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I have them at the second to last upgrade. Do I need to max them out or something?

Black dye merchant definitely gives you the journey into night dye for travelers attire.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
I was thinking of Traveller's set. Haven't unlocked Wanderers if that's a later one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Maxing out the traveller attire is a downgrade to the “find a macguffin” perk anyway unless you think having a way bigger area to have feel your way round for slightly different vibrations is more fun somehow?

Saying that though you can just set the wind to the nearest whatever anyway and it will lead you to a spot directly on top of it, regardless, so it’s not that bad so much as it is just a bit weird and pointless.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
My Ronin outfit has like 8 different colors yet other outfits only have like 3 or 4. Am I missing anything or is that just the way it is? I'm like 2 achievements away from platting the game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh cool you don’t even need all the artifacts for the platinum trophy. Good developer, right there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh cool you don’t even need all the artifacts for the platinum trophy. Good developer, right there.

I collected 100% of everything and after that I realised I didn't have to for the plat lol. I enjoyed riding my horse around peaceful countryside with very rare Mongolian or bandit patrols though.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
The lack of Tengai screenshots is disappointing. I haven’t taken it off since I found it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If it makes you feel any better, the typical Japanese person would give you the shirt off their back if you had just decapitated the slavers that were pillaging their farm, and they would offer it up to you willingly if it turned out that you happen to be the Feudal Lord’s heir apparent, and probably triply so if you also happen to be the legendary unkillable Samurai Ghost Ninja that is singlehandley pwning the Mongol invasion back to their boats.

So you can RP it all as donations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

My Ronin outfit has like 8 different colors yet other outfits only have like 3 or 4. Am I missing anything or is that just the way it is? I'm like 2 achievements away from platting the game.

Ronin outfit just has the most options. I think it’s the only set that has dyes from multiple zones doesn’t it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ronin outfit doesn't change as you upgrade it so I guess they went all out on colours, also its probably one of the more popular outfits lol

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's weird that the ronin outfit gets a new hat at rank 4 instead of 3 like every other outfit. I guess it's because it's such a powerful hat.

Now that I've gotten all the act 2 armors I feel so spoiled for choice. I think I like Sakai rank 2 the most because you look fully armored but not slow and bulky like you do at rank 3.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 26, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Honestly I've gotten the strong suspicion that they're primarily used for hiding world loading.

Anyway, beat the game, loved the hell out of it, got the platinum. Now starting a NG because the core loop is fun and am weirdly pumped about it. Gonna wear different armor this time!!

Yeah, they are. One of Sucker Punches tricks is some kind of optimization they do that allows them to be able to both stream in the video while loading in zones. I think that is why they don't let you skip anything.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's a good trade-off. The load times are impressive. Restarting from checkpoint in most open world games would be a chore. I learned how to do stand-offs by retrying against the same dude in the same camp from doing six or seven retries in under six or seven minutes (turned out it was my control settings that had confused me, whoops).

I wish loading from a save was more convenient, though. Maybe they didn't want people save-scumming but there are only a finite number of bases to do so it'd be fun to retry them in different ways or to go for a flawless run-through.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Lobok posted:

It's a good trade-off. The load times are impressive. Restarting from checkpoint in most open world games would be a chore. I learned how to do stand-offs by retrying against the same dude in the same camp from doing six or seven retries in under six or seven minutes (turned out it was my control settings that had confused me, whoops).

I wish loading from a save was more convenient, though. Maybe they didn't want people save-scumming but there are only a finite number of bases to do so it'd be fun to retry them in different ways or to go for a flawless run-through.

I thought about that too. In the post game, it would be cool to have some meditation mode where you could revisit missions or battles from the past and replay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Basic Poster posted:

I thought about that too. In the post game, it would be cool to have some meditation mode where you could revisit missions or battles from the past and replay them.

Hell yes, absolutely this, as long as they don’t make it as dire as RDR2’s replay mode and strip you of everything but the bare minimum; that made mission replay (esp. to go back and complete optional objectives) not worth it at all.