Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Shenmue is good and interesting if you approach it as the martial arts themed adventure game it is, rather than the beat en up some people think it is. Which is also why the yakuza comparison is pretty bad. It's probably on the same level as comparing Yakuza to GTA. The only thing in common is the openish world.

Hel fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shenmue isn't complicated. It's just a game that was incredible at the time that didn't age well.

The idea of fully scheduled NPCs and a fully interactive environment of that scale was pretty crazy. The original game had a feature where if you had your Dreamcast online, you could have it pull the current weather reports in Japan and make the in-game weather for that area match.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Shenmue 2 was one of the coolest games I had ever played in 2002.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hel posted:

Shenmue is good and interesting if you approach it as the martial arts themed adventure game it is, rather than the beat en up some people think it is. Which is also why the yakuza comparison is pretty bad. It's probably on the same level as comparing Yakuza to GTA. The only thing in common is the openish world.
I think the difference between Yakuza and Shenmue is only that Yakuza accidentally made their fighting mechanics too good and so decided to use it in more places than the boss battles. Like if you imagine a Yakuza where the fighting is restricted only to the prestige boss battles, other story fights are quick time events, and all other fighting is completely expunged from the game, it's basically a modern Shenmue.

I played both Shenmues on the Dreamcast at release - gently caress, I even competed on the internet leaderboards for Space Harrier - and Yakuza 0 had the exact same 'mouth feel' I remembered from those days when I played it, just with a bit more action and less weird questions about the Chinese.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yakuza is if Shenmue was done with regards to financial performance. It's all well and good to make something artistic, but it has to have enough buyers relative to its cost. Stanley Kubrick may have been an auteur but even he had budgets, and all his movies turned a profit. Relevant quote:

quote:

It's telling that when a filmmaker succeeds in running his own studio, it's because he's learned to let his inner businessman veto his inner artiste. Coppola ran Zoetrope with his heart. It nearly destroyed him. Steven Spielberg runs DreamWorks with his brain, a decision that leads to much healthier returns on investment.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I always heard so much about Shenmue, wolf's video is a vicarious thrill.

Another game I heard LOADS about was Panzer Dragoon Saga. That it's a jRPG to rival and even top FF7 back then, but Sega refused to print more because the Saturn was dying and they wanted to create artificial hype. Hell, until some time ago you couldfind copies selling for ridiculous amount. Might still be true.

I'm surprised there has been no kickstart or talk of reviving that one.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Aren't Nazbols those cloaked riders from Lord of the Rings?

No. You're thinking of Nazgûl, and I can't believe none of you other nerds bothered correcting this

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

McCloud posted:

No. You're thinking of Nazgûl, and I can't believe none of you other nerds bothered correcting this

Seems like you're the only nerd, nerd!!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Truly unbelievable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fuckin hell dude

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I like to think there is room for most kinds of games and that all games don't neccessarily "have" to be "modern".

Shenmue is a game that some people like for its deliberate design choices and thats fine. It doesn't make it inherently worse (even if it embraces 90s design ideas) because the design exists as the developer(s) wish it to be to appeal to those who want it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

McCloud posted:

No. You're thinking of Nazgûl,

:thejoke:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yakuza ruined me on Shenmue. I'd probably would have liked 3 more had I never played Yakuza but 0 exists and I played it and it was phenomenal.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ButterSkeleton posted:

I like to think there is room for most kinds of games and that all games don't neccessarily "have" to be "modern".

Shenmue is a game that some people like for its deliberate design choices and thats fine. It doesn't make it inherently worse (even if it embraces 90s design ideas) because the design exists as the developer(s) wish it to be to appeal to those who want it.

Yep

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

do you say it "shen-moo", "shen-mu-ay", "shen-moo-ee"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Shenmö

Pronounced Shen-Mae

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

We in the know just call it Shemp

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

do you say it "shen-moo", "shen-mu-ay", "shen-moo-ee"

Shen-Mew

Sephyr posted:

Another game I heard LOADS about was Panzer Dragoon Saga. That it's a jRPG to rival and even top FF7 back then, but Sega refused to print more because the Saturn was dying and they wanted to create artificial hype. Hell, until some time ago you couldfind copies selling for ridiculous amount. Might still be true.

It backfired on them spectacularly because they lost the source code shortly after its initial print run so it couldn't be ported to any additional lifeboat systems like how the original Panzer Dragoon later got a PS2 port. Every now and again I check eBay to see what copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga are going for and the same guy has been trying to sell the same copy of Saga for like 10 years now, I swear, and in in response to it not selling he adds like $100 to its price tag a month so it's ballooned from about $500 to $2,000 in the time since I started checking on it. Anyone else with a complete English copy of Saga on eBay has followed suit and now they all sell for about ~$1,000 USD, with the cheapest ones going for about $800.

I don't know how well the remake of Panzer Dragoon 1 did on the Switch, but I at least intend to pick up a copy on PC when its Switch exclusivity deal ends. The team behind it said they were at least going to try to tackle Zwei as well, but if they were also going to take a crack at Saga (which would be the loving holy grail of Panzer Dragoon developments), they would have to rebuild it from the ground up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Panzer Dragoon Saga kicks rear end, too

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

With 60 new posts overnight I expected to find that the new Hbomb video had finally dropped. But no, it was all Shenmue chat. :ohno:

Shenmue rules.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah shenmue is a gently caress around simulator with lots of qtes and some fighting mixed in. Yakuza is a fighting game with some gently caress around stuff in it. Also stuff happens in Yakuza, which makes it different from shenmue.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Shenmue is extremely meticulously detailed tiny-world simulation and I love it for it, and it's exactly what Shenmue 3 delivered.

One of the only other games I can think of that even attempted that kind of thing was Deadly Premonition, and Deadly Premonition 2 flubbed that part of it so hard that it was such a huge bummer.

Yakuza rules, but it doesn't at all try to do the kind of weird pin-point tiny simulation that Shenmue does - the world moves around the player in Yakuza (and most games), where in Shenmue they put a lot of effort into trying to make it feel like the world moves without the player.

I kinda lament that Shenmue 2 added automatically moving time forward for you if you arrived at certain events early - in Shenmue 1 there was a bit where I was... almost forced to just spend the afternoon in the arcade dicking around to get the clock to move to the right point so I could continue the story. It's an obtuse, objectively boring thing to force a player to do but I kinda loved it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Shenmue 1 had this mission in the harbor to sneak past a guard at night. And if you failed, the game skipped ahead to the next night and I was so bad at that mission that my game moved ahead like 3 months before I was done :v:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Katt posted:

Shenmue 1 had this mission in the harbor to sneak past a guard at night. And if you failed, the game skipped ahead to the next night and I was so bad at that mission that my game moved ahead like 3 months before I was done :v:

Shenmue 2 had a similar thing except you needed to fail a qte in a barbershop. Those are pretty much the only realistic ways to achieve a true game over.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I failed pretty much every single QTE in Shenmue 1. Makes me wonder what the game was like for people who caught them. Are the missions faster?

I mean the story still continues after all.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sephyr posted:

Growing up, my parents made sure to give me and my brothers big gifts for Christmas, and since we were all gaming nerds, meant consoles and/or games. To make it easier on them, the three of us would get a specific console, and we would share play time on the consoles between ourselves. One brother got all of the Nintendo consoles, one got the Sony consoles, and I got the Sega consoles.

This, of course, resulted in us asking each other to get games that were exclusive to their consoles. One of my brothers begged me to get, at different times, Panzar Dragoon Saga, and Shenmue 1 (I was working a job at this point and was buying my own games). I instead got, respectively, Magic Knight Rayearth and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I don't regret those choices, but my brother wouldn't let me forget that I didn't buy those games he wanted for years.

Anyways that's my Panzar Dragoon Saga/Shemue story.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I played the original Shenmue for the first time last year once the Steam port had come out, and I just found it boring and frustrating for the most part. It probably seemed a lot more impressive back when it was on the cutting edge of graphics and world design, though, so I don’t begrudge people for being nostalgic about it.

The sidequest where you help the stray cat was nice, I suppose. But then again I’d enjoy just about any game mission where you help a stray cat so that’s not saying much.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Shenmue came out in 1999.

Compare that to other games released the same year graphic wise.

Resident evil 3
Final Fantasy 8
Silent Hill

Morrowind came out 3 years later looking like this.

Shenmue looked and played better in comparison than our wildest VR demos look today.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbf after a decade delay making your third game still be part three of seven and not even try to wrap up the narrative is a pretty ballsy move.

I dunno I never played Shenmue myself but its hard to be mad that a kickstarter sequel resulted in a game that played just like the originals. Like how Yooka Laylee was just Banjo Kazooie but new and bigger, like yeah I'm sure it didn't live up to the nostalgia but you got exactly what was promised why be angry about it?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I only played like as far as the forklift section when I had Shenmue on the Dreamcast but I still felt physically angry when I got to the end of the video and saw that nothing happens when you meet Lan Di. Give us some loving closure!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mother's basement does a deep dive in one of his fight analysis videos about the final boss fight in RE:Zero, and it's great. That whole fight was fantastic and the way it evolves over the course of his attempts to defeat Betelgeuse is fantastic and brutal. man, RE:Zero is good. Big ol' spoilers obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIzogLLIDbE&hd=1

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

mother's basement does a deep dive in one of his fight analysis videos about the final boss fight in RE:Zero, and it's great. That whole fight was fantastic and the way it evolves over the course of his attempts to defeat Betelgeuse is fantastic and brutal. man, RE:Zero is good. Big ol' spoilers obviously

i was confused reading this post because the boss fight at the end of Resident Evil Zero is incredibly bad, but apparently this is something else and not about killing an old man who turns into a barefoot bishounen who sings in falsetto and turns into a giant leech made of tentacles

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
gently caress Anthony Fantano. giving MBDTF a light six. shut up spade-headed bitch. you don't understand the divine ineffable nature of music. you don't understand that perfection is created by imperfection. you don't understand that the attitude of the girl in the Chris Rock skit is what makes it funny. stop talking

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

i was confused reading this post because the boss fight at the end of Resident Evil Zero is incredibly bad, but apparently this is something else and not about killing an old man who turns into a barefoot bishounen who sings in falsetto and turns into a giant leech made of tentacles

Missed opportunity really

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bonaventure posted:

RE:Zero is about a dude who is walking home from the convenience store and suddenly is walking down a medieval fantasy city street in his blazer and shopping bag, and has to make do with essentially nothing but what he has on him, as well as the curse that has been put on him when he entered that world.

It's one of the better "transported to another world"(isekai) series out there, if you're at all into anime, I highly recommend giving it a shot. Subaru really sucks sometimes and the world is utterly, utterly unforgiving in dealing with his attitude most of the time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Invictus posted:

RE:Zero is about a dude who is walking home from the convenience store and suddenly is walking down a medieval fantasy city street in his blazer and shopping bag, and has to make do with essentially nothing but what he has on him, as well as the curse that has been put on him when he entered that world.

It's one of the better "transported to another world"(isekai) series out there, if you're at all into anime, I highly recommend giving it a shot. Subaru really sucks sometimes and the world is utterly, utterly unforgiving in dealing with his attitude most of the time.

I've given isekai enough chances and I'm thoroughly convinced the genre is 100% irredeemable trash.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cool world is an isekai

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
konosuba is good

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nuebot posted:

I've given isekai enough chances and I'm thoroughly convinced the genre is 100% irredeemable trash.
This is a perfectly reasonable assumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The best isekai ever made is Garzey's Wing.