Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Google has yanked the rug out of many products I enjoyed using. At this point I give up. Don't care and wont use or subscribe to their garbage services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

redeyes posted:

Google has yanked the rug out of many products I enjoyed using. At this point I give up. Don't care and wont use or subscribe to their garbage services.

As you post in an Android thread lol

(I get what you mean)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

As you post in an Android thread lol

(I get what you mean)
Its been bothering me recently. I feel like I cant rely on their stuff anymore. I transferred my library from Gmusic to youtubewhatever and now its utterly broken. All i can say is the day they kill Voice is the day google is dead to me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

redeyes posted:

Its been bothering me recently. I feel like I cant rely on their stuff anymore. I transferred my library from Gmusic to youtubewhatever and now its utterly broken. All i can say is the day they kill Voice is the day google is dead to me.

That day was July 1, 2013.

I really don't like using iOS much (based on the iPad I bought this year and use sporadically), but the iPhoneSE is sure tempting. iMessage already managed to gently caress me once, and I've only ever had it on one device that doesn't have access to my phone number!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I will never apple. Id rather bake my own than deal with losing my soul.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Inbox completely transformed my email habits then when it disappeared those habits resulted in an utter mess of a Gmail inbox. YTM looking to be a similar downgrade. Still, I can't go back to YouTube ads.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redeyes posted:

I will never apple. Id rather bake my own than deal with losing my soul.

The pinephone is going to have another preorder this month and runs https://postmarketos.org/ so it's time for linux on your phone-top.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I do actually need to get one of those for my kiddo that is balls deep in linux. I hope it isn't a POS.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wish them well with a Linux phone but I won't be holding my breath.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Qylvaran posted:

Inbox completely transformed my email habits then when it disappeared those habits resulted in an utter mess of a Gmail inbox. YTM looking to be a similar downgrade. Still, I can't go back to YouTube ads.

Seriously. I pay for Play Music because it gets me Youtube Red. When GPM completely goes away, I'm honestly torn on if I'll just move over to YTM, or keep my Youtube Red subscription and just start TOTALLY LEGALLY DOWNLOADING MUSIC again. I'll give YTM a good faith try I think, but if I can't play my music without an internet connection that's a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: I just remembered that I have an Amazon Prime account, so I can probably just use that if YTM is a trash fire. At least I have a backup plan.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 15, 2020

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I got an s20ploos and I'm looking for a video editor. Minimum requirement is to be able to cut and splice clips together. Since Adobe premiere rush is apparently a complete piece of shite and doesn't even support my phone in any case, is there an app that you would recommend?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KinkyJohn posted:

I got an s20ploos and I'm looking for a video editor. Minimum requirement is to be able to cut and splice clips together. Since Adobe premiere rush is apparently a complete piece of shite and doesn't even support my phone in any case, is there an app that you would recommend?

I saw this one recently, I haven't tried it and it's pretty new but it looks alright from the Store at least https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=andor.videoeditor.maker.videomix

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Soysaucebeast posted:

Seriously. I pay for Play Music because it gets me Youtube Red. When GPM completely goes away, I'm honestly torn on if I'll just move over to YTM, or keep my Youtube Red subscription and just start TOTALLY LEGALLY DOWNLOADING MUSIC again. I'll give YTM a good faith try I think, but if I can't play my music without an internet connection that's a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: I just remembered that I have an Amazon Prime account, so I can probably just use that if YTM is a trash fire. At least I have a backup plan.

I wouldn't call YTM a trash fire, but it is a step backwards from GPM for absolutely no reason. It's little stupid things, like it won't automatically start playing music when it connects to my car's bluetooth, or show album art on my car's head unit unless I am tethered and using Android Auto.

It's your standard Google product that replaces another Google product that was marginally better. I am sure that in the next 2 years, they will kill the YTM app and integrate 80% of its functionality in to the base youtube app for no reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never had any Android app show album art over Bluetooth with multiple vehicles, head units, phones, and apps.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Rexxed posted:

I've used this app for that in the past:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en_US

It's been a couple of years so I can go by the mostly positive ratings that indicate it hasn't become garbage.

A little late, but thanks. After some tinkering, this worked great... until the phone overheated at the six-hour mark and shut itself down (unbeknownst to me). But with temperatures reaching 39ºC that day, I probably should've expected it!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of my buddies wanted some music copied for his car today and I was looking through my phone and Holy Jesus it's unreal how much if it felt like I've never heard it in forever. Are there still no music players that can reliably shuffle a library and not give me the same fuckin song twice in a day?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

I've never had any Android app show album art over Bluetooth with multiple vehicles, head units, phones, and apps.

I know that Pandora used to do it in my previous car. I assumed that GPM did, but I didn't have a head unit that would show it till a few weeks ago in my current car, which is after I switched to YTM. So, my bad for assuming.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

codo27 posted:

One of my buddies wanted some music copied for his car today and I was looking through my phone and Holy Jesus it's unreal how much if it felt like I've never heard it in forever. Are there still no music players that can reliably shuffle a library and not give me the same fuckin song twice in a day?

Maybe the very clever algorithms of tyool 2020's music players still creates a feedback loop when it plays you that one song again because you like that song so much because you've played that song so much because they played that song so much.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
My car seems to jump between showing album art for some albums, and artist photos for most albums. I don't know if it's an embedded art thing, but all my album art shows up fine on the web and on the phone.

edit: in GPM. I'll start using YTM when I absolutely have to.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I seem to remember a lot of car manufacturers have agreements with satellite radio to use those connections to provide album art if needed, and that's why you get the terrible results with artist photos and stuff if they can't parse it from the file.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, some cars do use gracenote integration to pull down metadata on media.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My Mazda does gracenote for CDs but because it doesn't have any sort of data connection you need to download the database on to a USB stick if you want to update it. I think the dealer did it a couple of times while the car was still under warranty but there is no way I'd make the effort to do so myself.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Somehow between my Prius's stock system and Rocket Player I'll sometimes get embedded album art to load, but not always. Presumably there's some sort of size limitation I'm unaware of. It hasn't bothered me enough to dig deeper into it, and even so, for :iiam: reasons, I can't seem to modify tags on my mp3s anymore anyway and have the changes stick so even if I knew the limitations it wouldn't help me at this point.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How does Gmail decide an email is High Priority and give a notification? I thought it was the "important" flag, but I'm getting lots of notifications for emails that don't have this flag.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
"AI"

There probably isn't any rule that anyone can explain to you.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KinkyJohn posted:

Maybe the very clever algorithms of tyool 2020's music players still creates a feedback loop when it plays you that one song again because you like that song so much because you've played that song so much because they played that song so much.

I have this problem, exacerbated by the amount of music in my library with titles that are some kind of untypable moon language, so it never gets played on the go. I just want an actually random shuffle. :(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So AMdroid just stopped working for me, does anyone else have some decent alarm apps?

Edit: disabling Edge Lighting Notifications for AMdroid fixed it.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 22, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is it possible to add podcast URLs to Google podcasts? I have unique URLs from Patreon accounts that I contribute to that I'm unable to add to Google podcasts because I'm not able to see a way to do so.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

I wouldn't call YTM a trash fire, but it is a step backwards from GPM for absolutely no reason. It's little stupid things, like it won't automatically start playing music when it connects to my car's bluetooth, or show album art on my car's head unit unless I am tethered and using Android Auto.

It's your standard Google product that replaces another Google product that was marginally better. I am sure that in the next 2 years, they will kill the YTM app and integrate 80% of its functionality in to the base youtube app for no reason.

I've been trying to live with YouTube Music for the last week or so since I was able to transfer my library over and it has been nothing but a headache the entire time. For some reason shuffle gets turned off every other day and when it does shuffle it only picks from able 30 or so tracks at the top of a 700 song playlist.

I spent most of the day adding my collection to Plex and then realizing that me from 8 years ago was a moron. So now I have a couple of days of editing music files by hand then adding them back into Plex. Still less of a headache than dealing with YTM though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And that's the thing unfortunately. Plex organization will suck, but after that it'll Just Work. Google, who the gently caress knows? They might switch to an aquarium based system that lets fish from around the world choose the music on the cloud.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Welp, dark sky is moving to Apple and will be done for at the end of the month. What's a good weather app with widget support?

E: knew I should've checked the previous page first

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Thread Title: Android Apps: AMDroid, Solid Explorer, Pocket Casts, Today Weather in all cases

Truncate as needed.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

And that's the thing unfortunately. Plex organization will suck, but after that it'll Just Work. Google, who the gently caress knows? They might switch to an aquarium based system that lets fish from around the world choose the music on the cloud.

Yea, I take back what I said about YTM being worse than GPM but not too bad. I broke the news to my boyfriend that GPM was going away at the end of the year (he gets all his tech news from me and I didn't feel like depressing him), so I sat down and really dove into it.

First, it said it was transferring all my files over, but it only transferred one playlist out of seven (and in the process completely trashed my thumbs up playlist in youtube with music I've thumbs'd up), and transferred none of my individual tracks that weren't in a playlist. So I went about trying to re-create my other playlists, and it is a nightmare searching for not main-stream stuff. I have a handful of video game soundtracks, and if I search for a track I get all the garbage on youtube like people playing it on piano, or violin, or whatever in their living room with poor audio quality. I could upload my individual music files, but that now counts against a tally even if I bought said tracks through GPM and just can't find the drat thing in the sea of YTM garbage.

All that coupled with Google's desire to just end products whenever is really pushing me to jump ship. I'm leaning towards Plex since I already have it set up for my movies and whatnot, but I've never used the PlexAmp app. Is it worth a drat, or should I just hop over to Amazon? I'm not too big into Spotify because I can't upload my own files to it, and I have a habit of buying OSTs through Steam (and downloading Goon Christmas music to terrorize my loved ones).

Edit: Ah hell, it auto-moved my subscription from Google Play Music to Youtube Music when I tried to transfer everything over too. And I don't see an option to re-subscribe to GPM, it just keeps sending me to the YTM page. Goddamnit I guess I'm moving sooner than I thought.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 25, 2020

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Appoda posted:

Welp, dark sky is moving to Apple and will be done for at the end of the month. What's a good weather app with widget support?

You could also look at ClimaCell.

I miss Weather Timeline.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yea, I take back what I said about YTM being worse than GPM but not too bad. I broke the news to my boyfriend that GPM was going away at the end of the year (he gets all his tech news from me and I didn't feel like depressing him), so I sat down and really dove into it.

First, it said it was transferring all my files over, but it only transferred one playlist out of seven (and in the process completely trashed my thumbs up playlist in youtube with music I've thumbs'd up), and transferred none of my individual tracks that weren't in a playlist. So I went about trying to re-create my other playlists, and it is a nightmare searching for not main-stream stuff. I have a handful of video game soundtracks, and if I search for a track I get all the garbage on youtube like people playing it on piano, or violin, or whatever in their living room with poor audio quality. I could upload my individual music files, but that now counts against a tally even if I bought said tracks through GPM and just can't find the drat thing in the sea of YTM garbage.

All that coupled with Google's desire to just end products whenever is really pushing me to jump ship. I'm leaning towards Plex since I already have it set up for my movies and whatnot, but I've never used the PlexAmp app. Is it worth a drat, or should I just hop over to Amazon? I'm not too big into Spotify because I can't upload my own files to it, and I have a habit of buying OSTs through Steam (and downloading Goon Christmas music to terrorize my loved ones).

Edit: Ah hell, it auto-moved my subscription from Google Play Music to Youtube Music when I tried to transfer everything over too. And I don't see an option to re-subscribe to GPM, it just keeps sending me to the YTM page. Goddamnit I guess I'm moving sooner than I thought.

Over the last couple of days I've been recreating my playlists I had in GPM into plex and it hasn't been too bad. I've been using plex amp as well and other than some minor issues it has been better than YouTube music. When going between tracks there isn't much of a gap, so it's a bit jarring to go from one genre to another. But since my main playlist has a bit of every genre, that is probably more my fault. It seemed to work well with Android Auto so that was another plus for it.

The other problem is just importing the music into Plex and getting it organized to my liking. But that is probably more to do with my terrible mp3 collection that I never really fixed the tags on beyond the main ones.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 26, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Appoda posted:

I'm using Shadow Weather and it seems really great.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

diremonk posted:

Over the last couple of days I've been recreating my playlists I had in GPM into plex and it hasn't been too bad. I've been using plex amp as well and other than some minor issues it has been better than YouTube music. When going between tracks there isn't much of a gap, so it's a bit jarring to go from one genre to another. But since my main playlist has a bit of every genre, that is probably more my fault. It seemed to work well with Android Auto so that was another plus for it.

The other problem is just importing the music into Plex and getting it organized to my liking. But that is probably more to do with my terrible mp3 collection that I never really fixed the tags on beyond the main ones.

I ended up going with Spotify. I was leaning towards Plex but then I realized that I'd have to leave my computer on anytime I even thought about playing music while out and about and I am not the type to plan ahead like that. Amazon was right out since it turns out I can't upload my own music unless I bought it through them first. I had a spotify account from way back in the day, so it was easy enough to just jump back in and port my playlists over (I used Tune My Music to go from GPM to Spotify, but I don't think it supports Plex. Soundiiz does, but I think you have to pay for that one). So in the end I got everything taken care of without too much of a headache.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ya'll should just be using the Google Weather Frog.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kheldarn posted:

Truth, I've been doing that since I switched to Android. Only ever used Dark Sky if I was on vacation and needed specific weather for certain activities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kheldarn posted:

Where's the widget?