Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

Oh cool - that would explain all the cool textured shading. I need to try that out. Lends a cool graphic design element.

It's always a fight between contrast and depth (1) vs.value range. (2) So again - Which is better? Left or right?

Another attempt at burning this art box. Better but we didn't expect the knothole to look so bad.

I'm with Cory, the left monster is better but if I had to choose I'd like a mix of the two. Both are still good, however.

The box is stunning. I don't think the knothole detracts at all.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I feel like somewhere in between would be good, or maybe the depth of the left one with the lighter background of the right? If I had to choose... maybe the left one?

A apple:

an fine appole

I'd love to see a bit more of those yellow spots on the red part for texture but only because I know they're present in the reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sigma 6 posted:

Another attempt at burning this art box. Better but we didn't expect the knothole to look so bad.

The effects you're achieving are just stunning. Could you talk a bit about your process and tools?

My understanding of laser-based art is from a handful of YouTube videos, although most people seem to use those tools for cutting and the burning is rarely as varied as what you're doing.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
digging the daguerreotype looking wood etchings.

Here's the drawing from before. I could add some finish / polish but maybe it's enough for now.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Hellbeard posted:

digging the daguerreotype looking wood etchings.

Here's the drawing from before. I could add some finish / polish but maybe it's enough for now.

So much cheese! (I love it.)

Trabant: I am using a chinese knock off of a name brand laser. The school I work for bought the name brand but the hackerspace I use opted for the chinese knock off. Since the school is closed due to covid I have had the hackerspace laser more or less to myself. The chinese company is called THUNDER LASER! - yes - that's right.
https://www.thunderlaser.com/ !!!

Definitely WW wrestling title for a generic laser burner but whatever... it works well.

The software they use is called lightburn and it is a also a fairly generic software for laser burners.
https://lightburnsoftware.com/

Mostly it is deciding on a speed and power for the laser. This is everything. Other than, of course, the quality of the wood itself. So - slower lasers and stronger lasers burn a darker value. If you go too dark / intense you end up losing detail but sometimes get nice depth. If you go too light than it just looks faded and washed out. So that is the challenge. Gauging the quality of the wood and the time the engraving will take against the power and speed of the laser. Always helps to make small thumbnail / prototype burns to gauge contrast against materials.

Acrylic and glass work great but glass is a bitch to cut through with the wattage laser i have. Acrylic works much better. As for wood - Baltic Birch and Maple seem the best. Pine and others work but really quality of wood makes a HUGE difference. Cheap plywood from the hardware store often looks like poo poo.

Here is my entry into the art dome.

"All She Wanted Was To Wear High Heels"

(I felt the need to capitalize and use quotations. Feel free to mentally read this title in whatever voice you like. Betty White? The Elephant Man? You decide.)

Oh - here is the other side of the case. Don't think I posted it here.
It was made for Josh Zarambo.

If anyone cares the laser is:

6mm from the surface
180mm per second traveling speed
30 percent power

"What do you mean satyrs have pointy ears?"

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 23, 2020

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

A bit of fan art I did for the Dresden Files. I'm debating whether or not to post it on my instagram, as I'm trying to go for a more professional curation.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

The Halogens posted:

I'd love to see a bit more of those yellow spots on the red part for texture but only because I know they're present in the reference.

Oh that makes sense. I see a lot of places where I blocked out colors and it doesn't match the photo. I am thinking of trying this one again in a week or two and seeing what happens.

Requesting 3rd pic of this set :thunk:

Adding on to the lasering pieces are cool. I didn't know you could get such a high resolution by laser burning wood. This is very cool.

Have a Woll Smof:

He is a sad :(

Now to find something in between apple and Will Smith difficulty...

e. adjustments

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 24, 2020

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Drawin's n' such.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Oh that makes sense. I see a lot of places where I blocked out colors and it doesn't match the photo. I am thinking of trying this one again in a week or two and seeing what happens.

Requesting 3rd pic of this set :thunk:

You mean this one?

Here's a new drawing from today:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thank you for the deets! :tipshat:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Hellbeard posted:

You mean this one?

Here's a new drawing from today:

Oh nice, you have variations! I was actually making a dumb joke about how if you had a 3rd pic in your other post it would have been a close up of just her butt... :rimshot:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Mmm. More cheesecake.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 25, 2020

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

I really like the expression and the hair here. One criticism is that the perspective on the nose seems off somehow, like her nostrils should be realigned a bit.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My entry for this week's Discord ArtDome

Wasteland.

And Discord link for anyone who's curious - https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

We are active, people post art and talk.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Finished the landscape tutorial book! Bloody good value for me, that was.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A quick ink pass. Thanks for the advice on the nostrils. Hopefully they are better now. Now I just wish the head wasn't a touch too big.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

sigma 6 posted:

A quick ink pass. Thanks for the advice on the nostrils. Hopefully they are better now. Now I just wish the head wasn't a touch too big.

It looks awesome! I realy like the value and line work around the face. I think the size of the head could be forgiven with a little more work on her tank top, its a bit flat looking, and distracting, as it is now.

Doodle Tax;

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The Mystery of Mayberry Fault

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

It looks awesome! I realy like the value and line work around the face. I think the size of the head could be forgiven with a little more work on her tank top, its a bit flat looking, and distracting, as it is now.

Yeah - I had no reference for the bottom half so I tried to wing it and it shows. Between that and the magnified head, it almost gives a fisheye perspective. ugh.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

KittenofDoom posted:

The Mystery of Mayberry Fault

hahahaha

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

NAG posted:

hahahaha

I saw it unfinished but those purple highlights really make this pop, noice work!

Been posting mostly in the Discord lately. Still at it, though! Been trying to be less self-deprecating about my art and more constructively critical.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another late night with another vampire.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I think I improved it a little.
The environmental controls are offline

edit:
this one too

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 30, 2020

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Hellbeard posted:

I think I improved it a little.
The environmental controls are offline

edit:
this one too

Holy hell, the lighting you've got there is great, especially on the Space Adventure one. That water!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

The Halogens posted:

Holy hell, the lighting you've got there is great, especially on the Space Adventure one. That water!

Thanks! I'm trying to get a good lighting/texture it's not easy but sometimes it clicks OK.
For the water droplets: do a squiggly line in darker skin shade, with some transparency. Then add specular highlights - squiggly line that follows the side of the darker shade and several spots where the water droplet is thicker.

Edit:
last one for today:

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 30, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks! I'm trying to get a good lighting/texture it's not easy but sometimes it clicks OK.
For the water droplets: do a squiggly line in darker skin shade, with some transparency. Then add specular highlights - squiggly line that follows the side of the darker shade and several spots where the water droplet is thicker.

Edit:
last one for today:

drat dude. Points for being extra prolific. Any way we could see a time lapse of your workflow? Curious since I have never used that software and I like the textures you are getting.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Trying some pencil drawing

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

drat dude. Points for being extra prolific. Any way we could see a time lapse of your workflow? Curious since I have never used that software and I like the textures you are getting.

Thanks. They can't all be winners ;)
I'll do a stream of drawing maybe and share it here you can fast forward. There already some process videos and a live stream or two on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeuDGFZsI7inUVTqCizhRA (hopefully the link works)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks. They can't all be winners ;)
I'll do a stream of drawing maybe and share it here you can fast forward. There already some process videos and a live stream or two on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeuDGFZsI7inUVTqCizhRA (hopefully the link works)

That's great you have those streams but man I wish they had sound!!

Here is a first pass with colored pencil. Frankly not very happy with it, so I might just try and digitally paint over the linework. Not sure yet. Struggling with older colored pencils (Dixon) which apparently suck compared to Prismacolor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hallo, thanks for all the feedback on the Discord; I managed to fix a lot of problems.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Final pass (?) Probably. Starting to miss doing things digitally. Especially color.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

stuff n' such

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Tried drawing a picture of Joan Baez using a different technique. Here, blobs of color were added first and sculpted into a face shape, then details were added with a finer brush. It was definitely useful for thinking about volume and shape right off the bat

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Penitence

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ That's looking great!! ^^^

The nosferatu looked unfinished so I took into photoshop for retouching and color correction. Not sure which version I like better since the colors have really been pushed back to accentuate the paper texture. Lost a lot of the cool tones in favor of an antique look.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 1, 2020

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

February

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 1, 2020

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

beep boop

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I downloaded autodesk sketchbook tonight to familiarize myself with the program, in order to help a friend who started getting into digital art. I'm loving it! I've been using photoshop forever just because I had access to from my job, and I'm almost considering switching altogether. I don't know, it just seems easier, and definately more streamlined for illustrating. I'm gonna keep playing with it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Not a new drawing. Just a process video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

March!

I've been impressed at how quick I can get these done now. Two hours seems pretty short.

On the flipside it makes me feel like I should invest more time.