Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A hydroelectric perpetual motion tower is about the kind of dumb poo poo you'd expect from an architect, and a skyscraper water park that's also a mining rig is about the kind of dumb poo poo you'd expect from a bitcoin enthusiast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

senrath posted:

If that site is to be believed it's supposed to be completely self-sustaining, but those hydroelectric generators are the only source of power listed.

The water evaporates, rises, condenses at the top of the structure, falls as rain, and spins the turbines on the way down.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
This would work so much better with turbines at the top and a 2 phase coolant! :pseudo:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Yeah that fastener is captive, not in a (completely) critical location, and there is a reason there are like 25 of them in a 1'x1' panel like that. You'd poo poo yourself knowing how many of those are lost over the lifetime of an aircraft. If it was in a critical location it would (should) be sealant captured or otherwise secured (lockwire etc).

spookykid fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 26, 2020

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

senrath posted:

If that site is to be believed it's supposed to be completely self-sustaining, but those hydroelectric generators are the only source of power listed.

Yeah that don't work in any way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just how captive is it? Because I understand that a very small piece of metal can make a total mess of an engine.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JoyfulAgreeableDarwinsfox-mobile.mp4

Is this OSHA or schadenfreude? You decide!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's a 7.62 AR, I don't feel bad laughing

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Americans have some ... odd priorities with car maintenance.

Tyres smoother than Patrick Stewart's head? Yeh, i should start thinking about replacing them.

Windscreen with massive cracks in the drivers vision? When I start feeling wind through them then I will replace it.

3,000 miles since the last oil change? OMG THE ENGINE WILL EXPLODE.

I can understand (via stupidity) doing no maintenance but how uptight the average American is about one thing but then laissez faire about everything else is strange.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

senrath posted:

Duh. The reason the other perpetual motion machines don't work is because they're not using enough water to run big enough turbines!

e: Welp, that's what I get for not seeing there's another page

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Segmentation Fox posted:

Is concentrated H2O2 used in semiconductor manufacture? I swear every time I've driven over by Intel lately, there's been a big ol' tanker truck full of the stuff on the same route.

If you’ve got a cargo code decoder app, you’ll see some fascinating things being driven around the Intel plants. I haven’t been keeping notes, unfortunately, but when I had to commute in for work, there was something :ohno: worthy about once a week.

The narrower tanks with the extra bands for pressure reinforcement are the best. Or the ones where the tank is suspended in a metal cage. And since they can’t drive hazardous materials straight thru the city, they’re having to bring that stuff down from the north on the twisty roads, which can’t be fun for the drivers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Americans have some ... odd priorities with car maintenance.

Tyres smoother than Patrick Stewart's head? Yeh, i should start thinking about replacing them.

Windscreen with massive cracks in the drivers vision? When I start feeling wind through them then I will replace it.

3,000 miles since the last oil change? OMG THE ENGINE WILL EXPLODE.

I can understand (via stupidity) doing no maintenance but how uptight the average American is about one thing but then laissez faire about everything else is strange.

The 3000 mile oil change is an anachronism that dates back to garbage us cars built in the 70s and 80s. Everything built in the last 10-20 years or so has a service interval of 5-10k that I've seen.

Also, the windshield thing depends on the state. In Florida, every auto policy must fix windshield chips and cracks free of deductible. So you don't see cracked windows often unless the car is a $500 beater that barely runs anyways. its different elsewhere.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

The Lone Badger posted:

Just how captive is it? Because I understand that a very small piece of metal can make a total mess of an engine.

It won't be a problem until the aircraft is on the return leg and has to fly in reverse.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If you’ve got a cargo code decoder app, you’ll see some fascinating things being driven around the Intel plants. I haven’t been keeping notes, unfortunately, but when I had to commute in for work, there was something :ohno: worthy about once a week.

The narrower tanks with the extra bands for pressure reinforcement are the best. Or the ones where the tank is suspended in a metal cage. And since they can’t drive hazardous materials straight thru the city, they’re having to bring that stuff down from the north on the twisty roads, which can’t be fun for the drivers.

Hey I live near an intel plant! What scary/exciting stuff should I look out for?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Lone Badger posted:

Unless there is another plane tailgating, that won't be going in any engines if it falls out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

grillster posted:

It won't be a problem until the aircraft is on the return leg and has to fly in reverse.

It won't even be a problem then. Flying in reverse will make it go back in. Of course, all the other screws will fall out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The plane will cross into the Southern Hemisphere and then it will be upside-down and the bolt will fall out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

The plane will cross into the Southern Hemisphere and then it will be upside-down and the bolt will fall out.

In which case it'll hit some guy walking the Outback in the head, and a series of comedic events will unfold.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We’re going to need a bigger bolt.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Nice! posted:

The 3000 mile oil change is an anachronism that dates back to garbage us cars built in the 70s and 80s. Everything built in the last 10-20 years or so has a service interval of 5-10k that I've seen.

Also, the windshield thing depends on the state. In Florida, every auto policy must fix windshield chips and cracks free of deductible. So you don't see cracked windows often unless the car is a $500 beater that barely runs anyways. its different elsewhere.

A guy I know in Florida used to work for an autoglass marketing company where they'd canvas parking lots in low income neighborhoods and find people with cracked windshields, then tell them they can get them replaced for free in an hour. A dude would come out to the parking lot and swap windows right then and there in usually about an hour.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arson Daily posted:

Hey I live near an intel plant! What scary/exciting stuff should I look out for?

Oh, nothing too bad, just things like hydrofluoric acid (which will melt your bones and hurt horribly while killing you), arsine (snigger) or phosphine (both of which are extremely toxic and will spontaneously burst into flame on contact with air)
You know, fun stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zopotantor posted:

Oh, nothing too bad, just things like hydrofluoric acid (which will melt your bones and hurt horribly while killing you), arsine (snigger) or phosphine (both of which are extremely toxic and will spontaneously burst into flame on contact with air)
You know, fun stuff.

I was looking at a safety job at the global foundries plant near me and everything about the manufacturing process sounded extremely :stonk:

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Zopotantor posted:

You know, fun stuff.

How could you forget Chlorine Trifluoride? Silicon fabrication is one of the few places you'll see it in the wild

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Baboons 'armed with knives and chainsaws' spotted in safari park

I'm no zoologist but...seems bad.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arban posted:

If they use their hydroelectric generators to supplement other power sources, they can reduce the amount of power they need from external sources.
Not the worst idea in theory, but you would have to run the numbers to see how much effect it would have.

It claims to be a self-powered building.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Phanatic posted:

Ya'll just aren't thinking big enough.

You build a SA-WEEEET water park, charge admission, use that to pay for the power costs to raise the water to run your hydroelectric generators, and then use that power to mine bitcoin!

And then, obviously, use that bitcoin to purchase cocaine to fuel your next PERFECT IDEA!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ZAQbicT.mp4

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was looking at a safety job at the global foundries plant near me and everything about the manufacturing process sounded extremely :stonk:

It’s way sketchier than I thought in chip fab. Glad I never pursued a job with Intel. Have some real OSHA.txt content with a side of SuperFund.docx

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-06-15/american-chipmakers-had-a-toxic-problem-so-they-outsourced-it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PainterofCrap posted:

I had a hood do that on my '67 Cadillac at 45-MPH. (it was built with no secondary / safety catch for the hood)

Fortunately, I could still see out the side window, and fought back panic long enough to do the same.

Now have that happen during a race, and win the race (in 1967, by coincidence):

https://youtu.be/-0RUpn8X6HM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

I mean if they built it right next to Niagara falls or something it could theoretically work I guess. Come ride the penstock!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Those don't look like steel toes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It’s way sketchier than I thought in chip fab. Glad I never pursued a job with Intel. Have some real OSHA.txt content with a side of SuperFund.docx

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-06-15/american-chipmakers-had-a-toxic-problem-so-they-outsourced-it

I may one day get a job in chip fab safety but stuff like this is why I’m staying far, far away for now.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

bonelessdongs posted:

How could you forget Chlorine Trifluoride? Silicon fabrication is one of the few places you'll see it in the wild

Somehow that never came up in the one semiconductor manufacturing related course I took in university, some 30 years ago. Maybe because its main use seems to be for cleaning equipment, not directly for the fabrication steps?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zopotantor posted:

Maybe because its main use seems to be for cleaning equipment, not directly for the fabrication steps?

I thought it's main use was creating terror in all who know of it's existence?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/YFuylTo.mp4

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

At least he had PPE

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://twitter.com/biden_brigade/status/1287491188656869377

Not sure about these guys observing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PainterofCrap posted:

In which case it'll hit some guy walking the Outback in the head, and a series of comedic events will unfold.

Coming soon from Touchstone Pictures, The Gods Must be Fuckin' Mental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Y’all are so dumb, worrying about pumping the water to the top of the tower. Just dig down so the top of the building is at ground level. Boom, done, start the singularity.