Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I wanna draw some hosed up hands!

A quick gis reveals I don't want to use any reference pictures though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

In for some hands and feet.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Struggled with this one a bit but at least I won't owe $10bux now :v:. I may try again if I have sufficient time tomorrow and Tuesday.

E: Hand pose drawn from photo reference.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 20, 2020

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

submitted for your approval: one hand to the face

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

This prompt was deceivingly difficult for me. I kept on starting over with different ideas, but when I realized I was gonna run out of time, I grabbed my favorite and just polished it up a bit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Lost track of time. So the deadline will be midnight tomorrow (7/22).

The entries all look great. You wouldn’t think a relatively open ended theme would be difficult, but it always is.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Lost track of time. So the deadline will be midnight tomorrow (7/22).

The entries all look great. You wouldn’t think a relatively open ended theme would be difficult, but it always is.

For some reason I had it as the 22nd in my head, so I'll take this extension

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I ended up having way less time for this than I thought but as we say over in the thunderdome, people who fail to submit are the only real losers!

microns

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

"All She Wanted Was To Wear High Heels"

(I felt the need to capitalize and use quotations. Feel free to mentally read this title in whatever voice you like. Betty White? The Elephant Man? You decide.)

Sitting Here posted:

I ended up having way less time for this than I thought but as we say over in the thunderdome, people who fail to submit are the only real losers!

Taking this personally.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 23, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just to preface, the entirety of my formal art training was Life Studies freshman year in college so that's the level of critical expertise you're getting here.

Creepy. I like the economy of colors and lines. This could be clipart and I don't say that in a bad way. Strong imagery, limited colors, easily scaleable/reproducible. I can see this being an illustration in a psych magazine article or children's horror anthology. The messy coloring works well for the subject matter.

I really like the line work here. I've never been confident enough to not outline most everything I draw so only using black on the shadows really makes this pop out. This feels like a book cover or a concert poster. It feels weird to compliment shadows in a drawing of a shadow puppet, but the shadowing is very good.

The frantic ink strokes and that one finger dragging across the ceiling are horrifying. This could also be a magazine illustration, but probably in a Christian youth magazine about the dangers of masturbation. This was the most animated of the entries and it does a good job of implying motion and a sense of panic.

If I didn't know the theme I'd have a tough time telling what this was. That's not necessarily a negative. This could be a tree you pass every day on your way home and then one day you realize what it looks like and you're thoroughly weirded out and breaking into cold sweats. Or maybe it's a gnarled dead tree in a field outside your window that appears to be getting closer each day. I like the shading. The whole thing looks very organic, which is probably helped by the physical media.

I can't tell if this is physical or digital. The warm tones and not so nice subject matter are unnerving. This is really making me uncomfortable, but I can't stop looking at it. The shading is great, especially around the toenails. There are a lot of different textures being reproduced here with only the color brown. The way the image fades away as we move up the body makes me wonder how twisted the rest of the person looks.

-----

Thanks for all the entries. Everything was very different in both subject matter and technique. The judging was close, but I still can't stop looking at Sigma 6's twisted feet. They're freaking me out. That's in part because of the work and partly because ankle injuries give me the willies. So Sigma 6 is our winner this ArtDome.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I've been sitting these out for a while but i want to chime in and say these entries were all very strong!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Flavius Aetass posted:

I've been sitting these out for a while but i want to chime in and say these entries were all very strong!

Yeah they were really good. Nice work everyone!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for judgment and feedback!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I appreciate the critique too, Thank you!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Congratulations to Sigma 6 and thank you for the feedback!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks!

So many great entries. I am surprised I won. Especially great entries from Sitting Here and readingatwork. The linework from Sitting Here is great!! Always loved combining trees with human anatomy.

Thinking about what to do for the next theme. Please give me until tomorrow to decide as I have a few ideas and can't decide yet.

Oh - if anyone is curious - the reference was an example of elephantiasis.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 24, 2020

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Round... wait... what round is it anyways?

Whatever. This round is:

Design your own "Big Daddy Roth" hotrod character and car.

More ratfink here.

OR

Design your own "Garbage Pail Kid" (Which I think was an unholy combination of Big Daddy Roth grossout and the Cabbage Patch Kids of the time).

oh and... a good example of how to make this challenge relevant:

I don't know if this is allowed but since one thing is directly influenced by another, but I hope it will be. Gross out humor is timeless. Points for original gross concepts. Points for using names relevant to current events or celebrities. Points for political incorrectness and, of course, points for rad hotrods.

Deadline is August 6th

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 26, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, I hate it all.

I'm in.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

there wolf posted:

Ugh, I hate it all.

I'm in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How does the Garbage Pail Kid version of Donald Trump look more sympathetic and human than the real life version?

Count me in. Pun times are ahead.

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty
Hell yeah, I’m in

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

How does the Garbage Pail Kid version of Donald Trump look more sympathetic and human than the real life version?

More believable in every way.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Deadline only 4 days away !?!

How are you guys feeling about it? Do you need an extension?

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

I don't have a garbage pail kid yet but I was hoping to wing it at the last minute

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, yeah, the name isn’t great but have you ever tried to rhyme something with Karen?

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Could use more work, but I can't stand thinking about these horrible things anymore

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait, did we both pick the name Art Dome Kids independently? Because that's...awesome.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait, did we both pick the name Art Dome Kids independently? Because that's...awesome.

Sadly no, I was just going to call it Garbage Pail Kids but then I saw your picture and changed it for unity

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NAG posted:

Sadly no, I was just going to call it Garbage Pail Kids but then I saw your picture and changed it for unity

:hfive:

I figured it was easier to kern Art Dome Kids in the limited space than Garbage Pail Kids. Glad my laziness is being recognized.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Giving you fuckers until the 10th. Sorry to move the goal post. Truth is that I am movin into a new place and the term is starting and ... time... WTF does that even mean during a pandemic?

Sorry to be *that* guy. poo poo's been going sideways in my life and I need a few days to get settled into a new place. Hope you understand. Psyched about the submissions so far. Didn't expect the landlord would kick 6 people out at once but you know... apocalypse bingo.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 7, 2020

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty

sigma 6 posted:

Giving you fuckers until the 10th. Sorry to move the goal post. Truth is that I am movin into a new place and the term is starting and ... time... WTF does that even mean during a pandemic?

Sorry to be *that* guy. poo poo's been going sideways in my life and I need a few days to get settled into a new place. Hope you understand. Psyched about the submissions so far. Didn't expect the landlord would kick 6 people out at once but you know... apocalypse bingo.

Tbh I totally forgot about this until just now so it gives me time to work on my submission! That moving situation sucks, I hate moving even in normal times. I hope moving goes smoothly for you!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Most of it's going into storage and then I get to pretend I am from Sparta.

Krispy Wafer: The crocs are a nice touch. Did she use her venti, iced skinny hazelnut macchiato, sugar-free syrup, extra shot, light ice, no whip to summon the ghosts of art dome's past?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 7, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Most of it's going into storage and then I get to pretend I am from Sparta.

Krispy Wafer: The crocs are a nice touch. Did she use her venti, iced skinny hazelnut macchiato, sugar-free syrup, extra shot, light ice, no whip to summon the ghosts of art dome's past?

I'm most pleased with the pentagram. Otherwise it's a bog-standard Karen joke that we've all seen before.

Also the red rimmed eyes were a happy accident. I added the background last and hadn't fully colored the eyes in white.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Using the extension to touch up my submission

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty

I went the other theme route! In typical fashion I got an extension and still completed mine last minute. I wish I was a skateboarding dog.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

NAG posted:

Using the extension to touch up my submission

Winna winna chickin dinna!

NAG - you win.

In a time of crisis... all things must... gently caress it. I will have a better write up later.

In the mean time I am banning myself from making art or participating in any contests until the chaos around me settles down. Can't make art if I don't have a place to make art in or even live comfortably.

Maybe I will finish this attempt but not today.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 13, 2020

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

:toot:

I will need a couple of days to think of a new prompt (I just saw my skull idea had already been done!) but shouldn't take too long.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

NAG posted:

:toot:

I will need a couple of days to think of a new prompt (I just saw my skull idea had already been done!) but shouldn't take too long.

Wish Fashion, you know you want to

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Congratulations.

Really liked your paper texture and usage of texture overall. Wish the bevelled corner's background were black and the paper looked a little less perfect - a few creases or even some smudges / dirt. Overall though it is great. Line weight is fantastic, as is the concept and pun. Had a hard time switching the J with G in my head but when I did the pun clicked. All I could think of was "Jenniieee" from Forrest Gump and how much I hated her. Your pun made me temporarily dyslexic trying to figure it out. :shrug: Extra points for takin advantage of the extension.

Also really strong work. I think your concept was my favorite and topical. Looks like you got the original font and, as mentioned, I really liked the coffee pentagram. It was a tough call between the two garbage pail entries. They were both really great.

shrimpwhiskers posted:

I went the other theme route! In typical fashion I got an extension and still completed mine last minute. I wish I was a skateboarding dog.

Really happy somebody did a "hot rod character" because that was always the direction I wanted to go in for the challenge - before deciding to broaden it to garbage pail kids. Big Daddy Roth's drawings of monsters and gross details are super fun to look at. This one was definitely more cute than gross though. Wait - is that snot and drool flying out of the dog? Still adorable. Flames are a nice touch too. This looks like it should be a little boy's birthday card from grandma. You definitely have a future in cute hallmark cards if you wanted it. Nice work.

OK - gotta go back to moving my stuff from a 11x13 room to a 8x10 room. :suicide:

Thanks to everyone who submitted work.

Who do we talk to about getting those nifty art dome winner tags?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Just want to say thank you to Sigma 6 for taking the time to provide critiques even though they've so much going on. I really appreciate it!

Now for the next theme: Sharks!

That's right, those big fishy thingies. They've a fairly simple shape to them, but can appear scary, gracious, or even goofy-looking.

Sharks come in a variety of shapes and colors, and different species have different superpowers, like the goblin shark that can extend it's jaw when it bites.

I'll accept any species, setting, scenario and medium. Acrylics, watercolor, charcoal sketches, knitted toys, sculpture, ASCII, 3D models, you name it.

Your shark doesn't have to look realistic if you don't want to, and can be anthropomorphic, as long as it is clearly imbued with sharky-ness.

Deadline is Saturday, August 29th, so let's get sharkin'