Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just saying none of this is unique to China, a famous figure got singled out for something everyone does because she stepped out of line and didn't have the right friends

The government being able to disappear a famous person and then make her publicly apologize for unpatriotic behavior is pretty unique for China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Everyone forgot about Jackie Chan, eh?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ungulateman posted:

IMO the weird fandom episode they did for the 100th episode basically burnt out all desire to have the show actually be like that, and after that point the show stopped pressing those buttons and went back to being a good kids show instead, which was a very good decision.

Except for the episode "Fame and Misfortune", you mean. (That one was dedicated to mocking common criticisms from adult fans, much of which would likely have gone over the heads of most anyone in their original intended demographic)

As I understand, the lead writer wanted to tweak it to make it less hostile towards critics who arguably kinda had a point, but the execs were like "No, we want it this way".

quote:

With the fandom slowly petering out after the show ended and the next version of the show being basically Teen Titans Go, for better or worse, the fandom has gotten small enough that the same weird nasty angry people are loud enough to matter again. They still aren't a majority, but boy do they love posting about nazi pony/ies on every website that will let them, and at this point those sites are running out of other people who still care enough to do anything about it

Pony Life (the Teen Titans Go thing) wasn't actually intended to be the next major series - just something thrown together to keep selling toys while G5 is in production (I think it's supposed to premiere sometime next year).

As someone who enjoyed "Friendship is Magic" but never got meaningfully involved in the fandom, I'm looking forward to observing their reaction almost as much as the new show itself.

Invalid Validation posted:

Is Hazbin Hotel any good regardless of the animation?

I personally prefer Helluva Boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlahNrlcgS4

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Barudak posted:

Its a surprisingly good movie even if narratively its slightly muddled because they clearly wanted to bring back Paul Newman's character but could not. Its extra weird since Cars 2 is loving horrible and has basically nothing to do with Cars 1 and 2 which are basically about the start and end of an athletes playing career.

It also has issues where its story butts against the cars as people/cars as cars issue.

Yeah, I liked Cars 3 way more than I was expecting to - it might actually be my favorite of the three. It's a much more heartfelt look at aging and mentorship than a movie starring talking cars has any right to be!

Another point in its favor is that Larry the Cable Guy is in it for probably all of three minutes.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just saying none of this is unique to China, a famous figure got singled out for something everyone does because she stepped out of line and didn't have the right friends

gently caress off with this whataboutism.

Every criticism of China doesn't need to be paired with "yeah but the west is bad too". Unless the Chinese government is actively forcing you to post in which case continue on I guess.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I hate Cars 3. Lightning McQueen is 45, and an actor named owen wilson. In cars 3 he is 78 and his back has an impacted disc.

I also hate cars one because given infinite technology and resources and art and writers and all of this, it is a movie about a car dragging goo down a road. It may have been better, and cheaper, to make with live action cars and/or miniatures, with CGI eyes on top. They could have made something with an elf, or a strange island or something with a murder plot. How about a story about a magic piano who plays himself. Get it together, Pixar

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Every criticism of China doesn't need to be paired with "yeah but the west is bad too". Unless the Chinese government is actively forcing you to post in which case continue on I guess.

It's more the Orientalist undertones. Also, look up the history of whataboutism for some lols

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah, I liked Cars 3 way more than I was expecting to - it might actually be my favorite of the three. It's a much more heartfelt look at aging and mentorship than a movie starring talking cars has any right to be!

Another point in its favor is that Larry the Cable Guy is in it for probably all of three minutes.

I think after Cars 2 was "Mater's big adventure starring also the cast of Cars" Im glad they reeled it right back in.

The ending regarding buying teams and whatever is also weird because its an emotional payoff for the end of Cars 1 and requires remembering a decade older movie and also forgetting Cars 2 all over again

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

Reminds me of when people do basically the same thing with Islamic theocracies. Apparently, letting women expose their bellybuttons in public is on the same moral level as executing rape victims for adultery.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Agreed - if Pixar ever got it in their heads to do Cars 4 (all I can see about their upcoming movies is a rumor that the next four after Soul will all be original), I'd be optimistic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So I was bored and did the math as the films events occur in real time regarding their release. For an actual NASCAR driver Lightning McQueen is basically GOAT with 7 championships in 10 seasons, and being in the finals a minimum of 8/10. For comparison, that would tie him for most championship wins with a real NASCAR driver and they did that over 24(?) seasons. Arguably, he'd be one of the single most dominant athletes at their sports ever. Cars 3 being the end of his career is even weirder because he goes from rookie to retired in 10 years, where the average career for anybody with multiple championships in Nascar is basically 15 years minimum, and closer to 20.

Also his first name is loving Montgomery, not Lightning, so the bit at the end of the film over being called "Fabulous" is a non-sequitor to tie back to Doc Hudson's character which also makes sense mostly only if you forget Cars 2 ever happened which, frankly, you should.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 26, 2020

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Barudak posted:

Cars 3 being the end of his career is even weirder because he goes from rookie to retired in 10 years, where the average career for anybody with multiple championships in Nascar is basically 15 years minimum, and closer to 20.

If NASCAR drivers had to run 500 miles on foot every week, I suspect their careers would be a lot shorter too. Ten years isn't an uncommon career length for athletes in many sports. You certainly don't see a lot of decade-old chassis running around in NASCAR's top divisions, either, outside of the odd start-and-parker or backmarker team with very limited budgets; the few that do last that long are definitely outliers.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Lightning also has his body replaced by a younger, fitter body at the end of the movie, so who knows how hat factors into the equation

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I actually don't hate Cars 2, but I wish it had either A) removed the original Cars character entirely and done a spy movie or B) if you HAVE to keep Mater, only have Mater. Don't include anyone from the past movie, not even Lightning McQueen.

The spy parts of the movie were legit very fun, and were dragged down by the other parts. Lightning McQueen felt like he didn't need to be in the movie at all

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'd be interested in everyones top 5

Mine are Feherlofia, Dumbo, Rango, One of the Nightmare Before Christmas/Monkeybone/Coraline trilogy, and Happy Feet. I feel like a great cartoon feature is hard to pull off.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's funny how leftist white guilt is so strong that they accidentally become tankies.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

Mine are Feherlofia, Dumbo, Rango, One of the Nightmare Before Christmas/Monkeybone/Coraline trilogy, and Happy Feet. I feel like a great cartoon feature is hard to pull off.

If we’re talking global animation I think all my picks would be Satoshi Kon movies and Spirited Away.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All the animation I've seen is either western or some limited anime so this is heavily filtered from my narrow viewing experience, but...

Two Disney, I love a lot of others (eg: Zootopia, Moana, Princess and the Frog, Aladdin) but I think these two easily sit above the rest and make my top 5:
- Beauty and the Beast
- The Lion King

Of all the anime I've seen these two stand out, but half a dozen other Ghibli ones would be fighting for spots in my top 10:
- Spirited Away
- Tokyo Godfathers

For the fifth spot I don't know if I'd shove a Pixar in there (in which case it would be Inside Out as my #1 of theirs, although not including Ratatouille would make me feel sad)... or a foreign one I love like Ernest et Celestine, or one by another American studio (Rango and Into the Spider-Verse being the absolute pinnacle ones I can think of, I don't think there's a single Dreamworks film that deserves to be in my top 5 although there's a lot of them I love as guilty pleasures, and HTTYD1 would probably be close to top 10)

It's too hard :|

Also the above isn't in any order

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 27, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FunkyAl posted:

Top 5 personal favorites or top 5 best?

Favorites:

Beauty and the Beast, My Neighbor Totoro, The Last Unicorn, Brave Little Toaster, Rango

Best 5:

Beauty and the Beast, Spider-Verse, Lilo & Stitch, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 27, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Personal favorite 5: End of Evangelion, Perfect Blue, Lilo & Stitch, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Spider-Verse

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Paprika, The Last Unicorn, Spider-Verse, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Lego Batman Movie

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Top fives are tough and fun to think about.

I'd go with Tangled, Kaguya, Spiderverse, Only Yesterday, and Paprika.

I actually saw Only Yesterday for the first time, but it really knocked me out. The ending credits scene landed so powerfully.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is truly exceptional, yes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I watched Only Yesterday at a time when I couldn't appreciate it, because I was just bored out of my mind when I watched when I was 21.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think I'm going to give my Honorable Mention to Moana. In fact, I might replace Lego Batman with Moana, or maybe make it a tie? It's a real toss up between those two.

I think Moana is a better story as it's own thing, but I also grew up loving batman and watching batman stuff and so Lego Batman hits me in a more personal way.

Anyway, I love both Moana and Lego Batman.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm not sure what my full top 5 would be but I'll never turn down an opportunity to say The Iron Giant fuckin' rules.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

E: ^the iron giant is a real choice.

I would have to say my top 5 are: the End of Evangelion, Perfect Blue, Lupin III the Castle of Cagliostro, Ghost in the Shell, and Into the Spiderverse

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 27, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

So I was bored and did the math as the films events occur in real time regarding their release. For an actual NASCAR driver Lightning McQueen is basically GOAT with 7 championships in 10 seasons, and being in the finals a minimum of 8/10. For comparison, that would tie him for most championship wins with a real NASCAR driver and they did that over 24(?) seasons. Arguably, he'd be one of the single most dominant athletes at their sports ever. Cars 3 being the end of his career is even weirder because he goes from rookie to retired in 10 years, where the average career for anybody with multiple championships in Nascar is basically 15 years minimum, and closer to 20.

Also his first name is loving Montgomery, not Lightning, so the bit at the end of the film over being called "Fabulous" is a non-sequitor to tie back to Doc Hudson's character which also makes sense mostly only if you forget Cars 2 ever happened which, frankly, you should.

He's actually pretty close to irl NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson, who managed 7 championships from 2006-2016, including five in a row.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He's actually pretty close to irl NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson, who managed 7 championships from 2006-2016, including five in a row.

And Jimmie Johnson is still racing and the highest paid driver in the sport (iirc). Its a completely doofy personal thing but the time frame for Lightning feels too tight for the aging out thing they're going for and they don't really explore what lightning being the same number of wins as The King from the first film means. Its also because again, Cars 2 is a really bad movie that should not have Lightning McQueen in it and makes his career/legacy more muddled.

I think you could do a decent middle film about him losing a cup at his peak due to not giving it his all and then have that have been a throughline in the 3rd film where he realizes, no, this time he can't train past this.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more the Orientalist undertones. Also, look up the history of whataboutism for some lols

I have read Orientalism by Edward Sahid and I am pretty drat sure you're misunderstanding what Orientalism means.
I'm not saying China is a mysterious place with bizarre laws with possibly mystic undertones, so mysterious oooh, unlike us normal westerners, I'm saying that it has a culture that is different from the western one, about as hosed up.

E: sorry for going off topic, but I was a bit bothered

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 27, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
D&D is thataway

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

Lion King
Ghost in the Shell
A Nightmare Before Christmas
Princess Mononoke
Persepolis

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Spirited Away
Aladdin
Spider-Verse
Triplets of Belleville
Ratatouille

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Beauty & The Beast
A Goofy Movie
Finding Nemo
Treasure Planet
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1) The first flip book animation you make
2) Everything else

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Barudak posted:

1) The first flip book animation you make
2) Everything else
huge mood.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Princess Mononoke
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Secret of Nimh
The Lion King
Ghost in the Shell

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hm, hard to pick...

In no order:

Paprika, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Princess Mononoke, The Great Mouse Detective, and Begonia and Big Fish

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Persepolis
The Illusionist
Moana
Triplets of Belleville
Grave of the Fireflies

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The Boxtrolls
Norm of the North
Rock Dog