Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, for all he knew Emilia was currently in mortal danger so he was probably feeling a little impatient with her toying with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

He did say he would make time for another tea party later.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It probably also doesn't help that her own introduction was basically "Hello, I am incredibly evil! Would you like my advice on the current situation?"

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I for one commend Subaru for having absolutely zero tolerance for an annoying Smirking Secreteer running through their practiced, self-indulgence routine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
You can totally tell her plan was to demand "payment" for whatever info she disclosed, so when Subaru went "nope, I'm out" she changed tracks to wanting payment for granting him an audience in the first place, even though she's the one that dragged him in.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Almost 2 decades indirectly following Mrs. Sakamoto's career, and to hear that :monocle: "Eeeeeeeeeeeeehhh?" was just... beautiful. :kiss:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I feel like this is officially the longest Subaru has gone without dying horribly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The first death of a loop always takes a while to happen, iirc.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The real question in a new arc is how far back will he have to go.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

The real question in a new arc is how far back will he have to go.

I have a feeling it's definitely not going to be nice enough to checkpoint him at a spot where he'll get to redo his audience with the witch and actually ask questions.

Serves him right for shunning yet another wonderful witch's love.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, I guess it probably had to be after they enter the Sanctuary in order to keep the "problem" the same. If they're not trapped then he can convince Emilia not to go or other unusual solutions.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So anyone taking bets on where he veered off into the guaranteed dead end path this time? I'm with "derped at the witch" because that bit seems fully underutilised.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Being able to redo the conversation with the witch would be interesting, so I am hoping for that. Plus I am really curious if she would react to Return by Death.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lt. Lizard posted:

Being able to redo the conversation with the witch would be interesting, so I am hoping for that. Plus I am really curious if she would react to Return by Death.

Since it's associated with Satella, who killed her and her pals, probably not well.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Well they all have names that suggest they're terrible people so until further development these magic ladies get no sympathy from me. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mindblast posted:

Well they all have names that suggest they're terrible people so until further development these magic ladies get no sympathy from me. :v:

What have you got against small spiny anteaters?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That was a super dense episode, and I was way too tired going into it. So, I probably need to watch it a couple more times.

Or maybe just put Subaru-dad on a loop.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What have you got against small spiny anteaters?

Yeah you're right I guess I was thinking of their titles. Idk why I mixed titles with names!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Echidna is the "Mother of Monsters" from Greek mythology, responsible for creating horrors that terrorized the world (usually until gods or heroes killed them). Naming the marsupial after her was, I'm pretty sure, an ironic choice.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Echidna is the "Mother of Monsters" from Greek mythology, responsible for creating horrors that terrorized the world (usually until gods or heroes killed them). Naming the marsupial after her was, I'm pretty sure, an ironic choice.

This explains knuckles all too well now....

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
“Satella” is the only gibberish Anglican name so I assume the naming scheme was thought of later as the story developed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

“Satella” is the only gibberish Anglican name so I assume the naming scheme was thought of later as the story developed.

It might be a mis-romanization of Stella, a girl's name that also means "star."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Could also be from Satellite

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It might be a mis-romanization of Stella, a girl's name that also means "star."

I don't have much Japanese knowledge so I may be wrong here, but I believe Stella would be ステラ (Su-te-ra) while Satella is サテラ (Sa-te-ra). Romanizing the former into the latter would be wrong.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
I think it's far more plot relevant to point out our boy Subaru here appears to have a thing for silver-haired girls that predates meeting Emilia.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Well I get why his name is Subaru now, completely went over my head until people started talking about name meanings and stars.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's also a wordplay on "Stellar"?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's just a made up name and she's super envious of everyone else being themed around stars and monster gods.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's odd, though, because I've seen another character called Satella in a completely different series, except that was a nickname and the character's real name was an utterly bizarre made-up name.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't have much Japanese knowledge so I may be wrong here, but I believe Stella would be ステラ (Su-te-ra) while Satella is サテラ (Sa-te-ra). Romanizing the former into the latter would be wrong.

Not speculating about the naming convention in this situation (and this isn't to poke Blaze Dragon), but as a general reply, phonetic transliteration into Japanese isn't as 1:1 as it seems at first glance. There are a few reasons for this. Sometimes, "mistakes" are made in the initial translit which gain momentum and just become the agreed upon form. Sometimes, they don't use the English (or American English, specifically) pronunciation of a word to create the transliteration. Sometimes, (especially with fictional works), the author will take the base foreign word and will tweak the translit to allow it to roll off the tongue better in Japanese.

This is how you get stuff like "virus" which you would think would be バイルス ("bairusu") coming out as ウィルス ("wirusu"), or "Earth" (アース --> "aasu") in FFVII turning into Aeris (エアリス).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Enerugii

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
イ!エム!ティ!~~エミリア、マジ天使!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
When I first watched the show I just thought someone kept mashing "Satan" and "Stella" together until they ended up with a vaguely cool name and thought, "yeah, fair enough". :shrug:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Tangent, but: it's not a marsupial.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Monotremes 4 life!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So the other witches were Camilla, Sekhmet, Typhon, Minerva, Echidna, and who else?

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Satella - Envy
Echidna - Greed
Minerva - Wrath
Sekhmet - Sloth
Daphne - Gluttony
Typhon - Pride
Carmilla - Lust

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Were the other witches ever coded as bad, or just Envy?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Well, they're referred to as witches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, they're referred to as witches.
Witches are good, and our friends.