Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
konosuba is not good imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHofGj_enLM

This is someone who records the birds that come to their feeders during the day and the animals that visit the place at night. It's good!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Casey Finnigan posted:

konosuba is not good imo

incorrect

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sydin posted:

The best isekai ever made is Garzey's Wing.

You certainly got sexy!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Sydin posted:

The best isekai ever made is Army of Darkness.

:colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sydin posted:

The best isekai ever made is Wicked

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The Super Mario Bros movie is an isekai.
Last Action Hero is an isekai.
The new Jumanji is an isekai.
TRON is an isekai.
A Princess of Mars is an isekai.
Phil of the Future is an isekai.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Isekai was good back when it was Vision of Escaflowne or Magical Knight Reyearth or Fushigi Yuugi or Inuyasha. Basically it was okay before it was specifically about video game nerds. Or maybe it's only okay when it's written by women.

Digimon is also allowed.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Space Jam is an isekai.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you're an isekai. you just haven't gotten your memories from your previous life knocked into you yet.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm stuck in a really lovely workplace comedy :(

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

YggiDee posted:

I'm stuck in a really lovely workplace comedy :(

Same but I'm the protagonist and you're the nerd I relentlessly prank

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
A Yankee in King Arthur's Court was the proto-isekai

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A True Story is the first best isekai because Lucian was mocking bullshit travelogs written by his contemporaries

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Konosuba and re Zero are both excellent everything else is trash

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I like .hack//SIGN, but it’s also one where it’s more trouble for the Isekai’d person than it’s worth which I understand is the opposite of the norm. I also watched it back when it first aired on Adult Swim and I was a depressed teenager that played MMORPGs to escape that, so I was in the target demographic. I still enjoy it when I rewatched it recently, but it’s very hard to ignore the many cheap animation and pacing issues.

I’ve barely touched any of the sequels past the first few PS2 games, but it sounds like that’s for the best. One of the other anime series I started watching with a more comedic style had some gross brother/sister humour and was immediately repulsed.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 27, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RevolverDivider posted:

Konosuba and re Zero are both excellent everything else is trash

Hamafura/Bakarina/My Next Life as a Villainess is great too though it's mostly a really goofy harem comedy (light on fanservice) that just happens to star an isekai protagonist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

i am tim! posted:

I like .hack//SIGN, but it’s also one where it’s more trouble for the Isekai’d person than it’s worth which I understand is the opposite of the norm. I also watched it back when it first aired on Adult Swim and I was a depressed teenager that played MMORPGs to escape that, so I was in the target demographic. I still enjoy it when I rewatched it recently, but it’s very hard to ignore the many cheap animation and pacing issues.

Yeah, what I remember most is how long it takes for the protagonist to start working with people who are genuinely trying to help him and just how... slow it was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Jenny's Bronycon video is still up. Good news I guess, since I thought she said it was gonna get taken down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Space Jam is an isekai.

Dann right it is.

And don't forget about Enchanted and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Nightmare Before Christmas? I thought to be an isekai it had to be someone from our world going to another place?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Re Zero is a bad show about a thoroughly impossible to like protagonist.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

is total recall an isekai?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terrible Opinions posted:

Re Zero is a bad show about a thoroughly impossible to like protagonist.
Re Zero is a good show about a thoroughly impossible to like protagonist.

that's like, pretty much the entire point of the show outside of his gimmick. that he has to work towards not being such an obnoxious poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghostlight posted:

is total recall an isekai?

Depends on which conclusion you make.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Re Zero is a good show about a thoroughly impossible to like protagonist.

that's like, pretty much the entire point of the show outside of his gimmick. that he has to work towards not being such an obnoxious poo poo.
And it fails. The entire show still has him operating from the warped nice guy understanding of the world he had at the beginning of it. He's just more accomplished at doing the stupid poo poo he was always trying to do and has people more willing to put up with his bullshit. He is a static character who just knows more facts that he uses to exact on exactly the same motivations through the whole show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

The Nightmare Before Christmas? I thought to be an isekai it had to be someone from our world going to another place?

I don't think so. I'm not an authority on what words mean or anything, this is just my opinion. Isekai's just a genre. It shouldn't suddenly stop applying because the characters in the movie aren't real human or what have you. If that were the case then Coraline wouldn't count as one since they're all cg characters and Monster's Inc wouldn't be one of the neater cursed examples of one also plagued by capitalism.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

YggiDee posted:

Isekai was good back when it was Vision of Escaflowne or Magical Knight Reyearth or Fushigi Yuugi or Inuyasha. Basically it was okay before it was specifically about video game nerds. Or maybe it's only okay when it's written by women.

Digimon is also allowed.

Yeah, that's honestly one of my biggest problems with most of these latter day* isekai or other fantasy anime. So much of it just feels like the most generic fantasy rpg garbo. Fighters and wizards and healing spells and mana potions. Calling it D&D like is almost an insult because at least most D&D settings have more originality or quirkiness to them than the setting of "My Girlfriend has Too Many Hitpoints!!" or whatever the weebs are watching.

*The Book of Mormon** is an Isekai.
**Both the religious text and the musical.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If we're talking about anime, I started watching (And then after finishing the current length of the anime, reading) Demon Slayer and man, fantastic artwork and animation, cute/cool character designs, varied and good powers on everyone, freaky or neat to look at villain designs, all with a simple but good story to go on... and then you have the actual big bad, Muzan, who's absolutely nothing, an okay-ish design but a completely flaccid barely-character with lame powers. Like it's kind of crazy that 99% of your creation can be so strong, but then the primary antag is the biggest drag of the series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think so. I'm not an authority on what words mean or anything, this is just my opinion. Isekai's just a genre.

It's not even that, it's a story telling conceit.

Spirited Away is an isekai.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dawgstar posted:

I found a Seanbaby MMA article I hadn't read, so yay. This was pretty good: "He rushed straight in with slaps like an uninspired sumo sprite from a Sega Master System game. Teila did move pretty fast for being 410 pounds -- I'd say he charged at about the same speed as a 200-pound karate master walking backward and throwing counter-punches, which ended up being a terrible coincidence."

I hadn't read that one either. For Emmanuel Yarbrough against Keith Hackney:"The fight looked like something went wrong at a birthday party and an eight-year-old had to kick the poo poo out of Grimace." still has me laughing.

Also "The UFC never created a 265+ division, probably because super heavyweight battles look like bear documentaries."

I'm glad to see Seanbaby finding his spots again. For a while it felt like all the good internet comedy guys in his generation had found a gig from it and Seanbaby was the guy left behind getting a little too old to be the bro party dude. Good on him staying funny..

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not even that, it's a story telling conceit.

Spirited Away is an isekai.

Technically correct, but when you have dozens of shows and manga trying to tell it the exact same way (typically A: Fell into a world, or B: died and was resurrected in a world), it's a genre of its own.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

pointing out how many things use the isekai plot concept just makes the huge wave of animes where a guy bonks his head and enters into a unity fantasy game template dumber

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Doom is an Isekai.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

i am tim! posted:

I’ve barely touched any of the sequels past the first few PS2 games, but it sounds like that’s for the best.

They call it .hack//SIGH for a season :eng101: I've watched SIGN and played the original PS2 tetralogy, aaaand... I can't really tell you which one is better. Some people say the games are better than the anime, others claim the opposite. I was always more interested in the worldbuilding of the .hack universe than anything that actually happened in the gameworld itself, which is what both SIGN and IMOQ concerned itself with. The 4-part OAV side story that came with each game as a bonus disc was more my jam because it took place almost entirely in the real world of the franchise, but even then all the cool elements that they set up in the backstory always feel frustratingly out of reach.

I have not cared to go back and check in on what came after part 4 of the PS2 games.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Sydin posted:

The best isekai ever made is Garzey's Wing.

Did he ever make sense of their convoluted situation?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Ooh, let's not forget the other ones that always come around: Narnia, Urashima Taro, the Alice stories, Flatland, Gulliver's Travels, Blazing World, and, my personal favorite, the Divine Comedy which pioneered the trope of the author working all their own creepy bullshit into the isekai.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Paladin posted:

Ooh, let's not forget the other ones that always come around: Narnia, Urashima Taro, the Alice stories, Flatland, Gulliver's Travels, Blazing World, and, my personal favorite, the Divine Comedy which pioneered the trope of the author working all their own creepy bullshit into the isekai.

Gulliver's Travels doesn't count; he didn't go to an alternate dimension or travel through time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Technically correct, but when you have dozens of shows and manga trying to tell it the exact same way (typically A: Fell into a world, or B: died and was resurrected in a world), it's a genre of its own.

This seems to happen every time isekai comes up and someone says they don't like isekai, people start lining up to point out how many things possibly fit under the isekai umbrella when it's pretty clear that the people saying they don't like isekai mean a very specific sort of isekai not literally everything that involves someone ever traveling to another world or time period ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hate Isekai series that are overly reliant on video game tropes like levels, status screens, and infinite storage space.