Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

numberoneposter posted:

just lol if you havnt eaten a cold mcdouble in the pitch black with ice cold January road water from your front tire spraying directly at your face
Mcds is absolutely my go-to need some ride food fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

This is my go-to bike/hike food https://bikepacking.com/plan/holy-moly-granoly-bars/

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Those look bomb. Will have to try.

I really enjoy these, especially because I'm lazy: Bobo's Oat Bars. A little pricey, but very tasty and calorie-dense while not being another boring, dry bar.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
clif bars and gummibears will forever be my go to ride fuel

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
One Hammer flask should last like 4 hours of high-Z2 riding.

For long road races, I usually also fill two bottles with a high carb mix like Skratch Superfuel, SiS Beta Fuel or just going double concentration on SiS Go.

Stuff with proteins and amino acids in them? Meh. If I'm riding that far, that long, I'd more than likely stop for real food.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EvilJoven posted:

The difference between me and a vagrant is when I'm drinking in a beer vendor parking lot on my bicycle at 10am I'm wearing a helmet and Lycra.

Hero.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

I just tried one of those "epic" protein bars for the first time (spicy sriracha chicken) and it was pretty dang good

Pretty much all their flavors are awesome. The bison bacon cranberry one is particularly excellent.

I swear by Sour Patch Kids when I don't feel like drinking my sugar.

Also I'm sure Coxswain (or anybody else who's ridden extensively in Japan) will support my claim that onigiri is basically the perfect bike food, especially with miso or red bean paste as filling.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also I'm sure Coxswain (or anybody else who's ridden extensively in Japan) will support my claim that onigiri is basically the perfect bike food, especially with miso or red bean paste as filling.

Yes

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been eating a lot of pb banana clif bars, apple pie and lemon bar lara bars, salted watermelon shot blocks, and haribo lately.

Gonna have to do like 10k feet tomorrow to keep pace in this climbing challenge thing. Down to 3rd place now.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 26, 2020

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I had a nice 45 mile gravel ride today.

I saw:
Trail horses
Kids on balance bikes who said they liked my bike. I told them theirs were cool
Minnows in a stream
A rattlesnake, a very large garter snake
A road runner
Lizards
And Eyebeam

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I had a nice 45 mile gravel ride today.

I saw:
Trail horses
Kids on balance bikes who said they liked my bike. I told them theirs were cool
Minnows in a stream
A rattlesnake, a very large garter snake
A road runner
Lizards
And Eyebeam

Man, sucks you have your perfect ride ruined at the end there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mystes posted:

The part at 2:00 is completely nauseating and I can't stop laughing.

hemale in pain posted:

feels like riding on the back of someone travelling on a pogo stick

Haha yeah it came off as even more violent movement than I expected, but you'll notice the gimbal actually does a pretty good job of keeping it reasonably steady. The mini-gimbals they have now are quite impressive.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Yes, but Hawaii perfected it with the spam musubi.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat quick release skewers. 5 miles into the ride and this creak starts and I could have sworn it was the BB30 bracket finally needing maintenance.

Got home and it was the skewers needing greased again. I don’t think I ever greased the skewers on my synapse but I’ve done it three times on the CAAD12. It’s more humid where I moved but I’m not riding in the rain-I can’t think of any other reason why I have to grease them more frequently.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

nwin posted:

drat quick release skewers. 5 miles into the ride and this creak starts and I could have sworn it was the BB30 bracket finally needing maintenance.

Got home and it was the skewers needing greased again. I don’t think I ever greased the skewers on my synapse but I’ve done it three times on the CAAD12. It’s more humid where I moved but I’m not riding in the rain-I can’t think of any other reason why I have to grease them more frequently.

Same problem here but I have a question: what part of the skewers did you grease?

I just replaced the BB with a WheelsMFG thread-together and found out it was my skewers the whole time but now it's starting up again when I'm out of the saddle or putting power down when climbing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think "check the skewers" is the "have you tried turning it off and on again" of bike repair

source: had a noisy drivetrain and took an embarrassing amount of time to check if the rear wheel was fully in the horizontal dropouts

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BeastPussy posted:

Same problem here but I have a question: what part of the skewers did you grease?

I just replaced the BB with a WheelsMFG thread-together and found out it was my skewers the whole time but now it's starting up again when I'm out of the saddle or putting power down when climbing.

Just the threaded piece and then the piece next to the QR lever. So I didn’t grease the shaft itself.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

nwin posted:

Just the threaded piece and then the piece next to the QR lever. So I didn’t grease the shaft itself.

I always grease the shaft.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

I always grease the shaft.

Do you have a specific technique you can recommend?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Road my bichael today :hellyeah:

Went back along the coast road with an insane tail wind, good times

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Trying to sell my carbon bike and have some reseller telling me it's worth only $800 with a low offer of 400. It's a 2012 Cannondale Supersix 3

I feel like i'm being gaslit? A LBS told me $1500 and I have someone trying to trade their Specialized Roubaix Comp for it + $150 sweetner.

Considering the Roubaix depending on their specs. The Cannondale is slight too big and I have my old Cannondale that needs more work, which I'd rather just offload cheaper and ride.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 26, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cheese eats mouse posted:

Trying to sell my carbon bike and have some reseller telling me it's worth only $800 with a low offer of 400. It's a 2012 Cannondale Supersix 3

I feel like i'm being gaslit? A LBS told me $1500 and I have someone trying to trade their Specialized Roubaix Comp for it + $150 sweetner.

Considering the Roubaix depending on their specs. The Cannondale is slight too big and I have my old Cannondale that needs more work, which I'd rather just offload cheaper and ride.

A friend of mine just sold a low end CAAD Optimo for $650, they can get hosed, the bike market is wild right now.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

e.pilot posted:

A friend of mine just sold a low end CAAD Optimo for $650, they can get hosed, the bike market is wild right now.

Lol yea I thought so. Also he's stalking the listing.

Paying the bike tax.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 26, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I took the threads advice and copped a Schwalbe marathon plus for my rear wheel and drat was that thing a bitch to get on. Looks stout as all hell though so hopefully no more flat tires. It rides kinda weird but I'm sure I'll get used to it; after I get out of this urgent care I'm in for ridiculous Achilles' tendon pain gently caress!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

I just sold a 2008 Felt F75, a very similar bike to a 105/Ultegra CAAD, for $800. I probably could have squeezed a few extra bucks out of it by parting out the upgraded Ultegra wheels separately but meh easy sale.

Don’t shortchange yourself right now, the market is crazy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Any 1/2 finger unpadded glove recs?
I have some Giros and the durability hasn't been amazing and the fabric rubs weird.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

nm posted:

I have some Giros and the durability hasn't been amazing and the fabric rubs weird.
I really like the Specialized Grail gloves. Padding in the palm instead of the heel/joints so it spreads out the pressure instead of concentrating it where it already is greatest.

e: oh you said unpadded. These have minimal padding buy not completely unpadded.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:devil:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nm posted:

which giros?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

spf3million posted:

I really like the Specialized Grail gloves. Padding in the palm instead of the heel/joints so it spreads out the pressure instead of concentrating it where it already is greatest.

e: oh you said unpadded. These have minimal padding buy not completely unpadded.

I had a pair of these. Great design but the glue holding the padding in failed after 6 months of riding. To Specialized's credit, they warranted them.

But then, OP said he wants unpadded so that might be ideal...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

which giros?

It turns out they're Pearls and I don't pay attention.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/unisex/gloves/road/pro_aero_glove/p/14341807

I've had grails, I really prefer no padding.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Anyone using the PD ES600 pedal? There is little information out there but one scathing review saying that the weighting causes it to not rest in the right position for clipping in.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have an older/cheaper version of that design and yeah, they don't rest right-side up. I use double-sided deore pedals instead

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
While we’re here, did other brands make one-sided SPD pedals? I had a really light set on my Lemond, and sold them, but now regret it.

They were silver and had very little platform around the cleat retention.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

One of the biggest benefits to SPDs is the double-sided pedal designs. If you’re going to give that up may as well look into other pedal systems IMO.

I have the Deore XT M8020s on my gravel bike and they’ve been rock solid so far.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

Quoting for "this will 100% not happen" but man you could have at least updated the links. If we're starting a whole new thread *some* effort wouldn't go amiss.

Quoting for 100% suck my dick

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

rode a couple days where the heat index was >100, which actually owned because I got a really nice sweat going

glad I have two water bottles as water fountains are not available for obvious reasons

my bike in the great indoors

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guinness posted:

One of the biggest benefits to SPDs is the double-sided pedal designs. If you’re going to give that up may as well look into other pedal systems IMO.

*Hill climb special*

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

nm posted:

I just got a pair of velocio summer gloves because my wife ordered the wrong size. Love em. Almost certainly overpriced, but hey, it's bike stuff, that's a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

e.pilot posted:

Quoting for 100% suck my dick

Look, I'm not here to be a dick for the sake of it but it would be nice if we had something more than a wall of text in nonstop "summer camp activity leader" tone. Would it help if I threw together some expansions with pictures/video? I don't mind doing the work, I just think this is a bit of a missed opportunity for getting people into cycling with the new forum etc.

Although now that I think of it, maybe that could be a thread all of its own, sort of a beginners intro to cycling deal? Might head off some of the repeated questions that always crop up.