Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kamek was in Super Mario RPG, so I'd find it a bit strange if they outright couldn't use him in Paper Mario since that was first conceived as a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Curious to see how people are liking the game so watched a few different streamers here or there. It's fun seeing a lot of opinions, what hits with people and what doesn't. Iateyourpie, a 64 speedrunner saying it's just as good as TTYD really surprised me for example.

Boy when you find some obvious stans of TTYD is it annoying though. Scottfalco and one or two others will not take a single moment to remind you it's not TTYD and it's not good and 'all the games are getting worse and you have bad taste otherwise.' I really hope as the series continues folks like them drop out more and more :shrug:

I'm curious to what the thread thinks of the purple streamer though. I kinda enjoyed that area but it seems to be under a LOT of fire from others that actually enjoyed the game so I feel like I'm odd man out here :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The purple streamer is the first area I 100%ed because I didn't want to leave

Araxxor posted:

Yes, it's true. You're going to have to be very preemptive about where the high number targets pop up.

Is it the same every time?

I'll feel bad breaking that record. It would be like going to Al Bundy's shoe store and scoring 5 touchdowns in one game in front of him

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 27, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Justin_Brett posted:

Kamek was in Super Mario RPG, so I'd find it a bit strange if they outright couldn't use him in Paper Mario since that was first conceived as a sequel.

that wasn't Kamek that was a different Magikoopa

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Curious to see how people are liking the game so watched a few different streamers here or there. It's fun seeing a lot of opinions, what hits with people and what doesn't. Iateyourpie, a 64 speedrunner saying it's just as good as TTYD really surprised me for example.

Boy when you find some obvious stans of TTYD is it annoying though. Scottfalco and one or two others will not take a single moment to remind you it's not TTYD and it's not good and 'all the games are getting worse and you have bad taste otherwise.' I really hope as the series continues folks like them drop out more and more :shrug:

Some people talk about TTYD the way I see people talk about Chrono Trigger. To them it's just like the perfect rpg or at least the perfect mario rpg and nothing will ever change that.

The real strange ones though are the people who consider the first 3 paper mario's the zenith of the series. And it's like really, you're putting Super Paper Mario up there too??

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And it's like really, you're putting Super Paper Mario up there too??

hell yeah I am

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think that's just because of whiplash from sticker star. SPM still had the completely off the walls story and weirdo not-really-mario characters so it gets counted in the "good ones"

I do like spm even if i don't really enjoy actually playing it though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The purple streamer is the first area I 100%ed because I didn't want to leave

Is it the same every time?

I'll feel bad breaking that record. It would be like going to Al Bundy's shoe store and scoring 5 touchdowns in one game in front of him

I believe the layout is the same.

Also the Toad will be amazed if you beat his record, not heartbroken.

Amppelix posted:

I think that's just because of whiplash from sticker star. SPM still had the completely off the walls story and weirdo not-really-mario characters so it gets counted in the "good ones"

I do like spm even if i don't really enjoy actually playing it though.

Yeah I remember it being a divisive title back in the day. Even the story which gets praised now was kind of a tossup amongst people.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 27, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm in the camp that thinks SPM and SS should hang out and be a happy couple together

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I respect Super Paper Mario for basically being a totally unrelated rpg with mario characters stapled on but like as a game it's pretty weak.

It's just strange if that's on your list of good Paper Mario's and Color Splash and Origami King aren't.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

A lot of Paper Mario fans are just kind of... fanatically zealous about how 64 & TTYD are the ~*Greatest Games Of All Time*~ and how everything else is terrible because it's not those games. They are irritating to be sure but I'm just gonna be over here enjoying this great game instead of clinging desperately to the past and overlooking a great game as a result.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I liked Super Paper Mario’s completely bonkers plot but the 3D/2D gimmick wasn’t particularly well-executed. And I did a 100% LP* of it lol

But it also has completely brilliant parts like Mr. L and the the otaku chameleon which absolutely make the game worth playing.

*would have been 100% if my computer hadn’t crashed every time I tried to record that absurdly long optional dungeon. I literally did it twice and both times my hard drive hosed up and my Windows partition committed suicide.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One day I hope we find out who Mr L really was. He was such a cool character, but he disappeared almost at the same time Luigi came back, so we'll never know his deal

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hmm was just checking out the gallery and noticed there's one kind of enemy I didn't fight in the yellow streamer area. I have no idea what it could be. It was in the bottom right under either a fire or hammer bro. Apart from that I have 100% of enemies

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

why does intelligent systems hate my boy

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 27, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super Paper Mario to me is a game that I actually hate. The physics in it feel terrible, the levels and bosses aren't fun to play at all and it's the usual stuff people talk about, hell I probably already did before.

I find it weird that people poo poo on sticker star for having a world map but happily ignore the fact that SPM is just a straight line with level selects and it's played completely straight. Flipside and Flopside just suck complete rear end.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Super Paper Mario was a game I played some chunk of. I remember it being really loving bizarre and having space pixel characters and that's about it. Also not having any RPG elements.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Hey, it had EXP, which is the only RPG element that matters ever.

...I'm in the "dislikes Super Paper Mario" camp. Part of it is that it's a platformer and I have the reflexes of a dying sloth, sure (though from what I played a while back I honest to god don't remember the platforming being excessively challenging).

Another part is that I really dislike the "flipping" aspects, because it feels kind of jank since it's referred to and because it's used for a lot of "perspective" puzzles that don't really work. That might just be me.

The main part, honestly, is the kind of... computer-y aesthetic that they go all in on. The Bitlands are fine, Dimentio and Bleck (and Tippi but she barely counts) are fine, Merlon is fine because he's a cool dude. But everything else feels... overly geometric, I guess? I don't like it at all, and a non-negligible amount of that is that it feels like you can take one look at something and immediately tell if it was from an old Mario game or was made specifically for Super.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

psychoJ posted:

why does intelligent systems hate my boy

I'm only up to the yellow streamer myself so I don't know the total of his appearances yet but one thing I always liked about Paper Luigi is that he's kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This game is so good. It's hard to put into words exactly why it clicks; the writing, environment design, and puzzles are just really well done and flow at a nice engaging pace.

LiefKatano posted:

Hey, it had EXP, which is the only RPG element that matters ever.

...I'm in the "dislikes Super Paper Mario" camp. Part of it is that it's a platformer and I have the reflexes of a dying sloth, sure (though from what I played a while back I honest to god don't remember the platforming being excessively challenging).

Another part is that I really dislike the "flipping" aspects, because it feels kind of jank since it's referred to and because it's used for a lot of "perspective" puzzles that don't really work. That might just be me.

The main part, honestly, is the kind of... computer-y aesthetic that they go all in on. The Bitlands are fine, Dimentio and Bleck (and Tippi but she barely counts) are fine, Merlon is fine because he's a cool dude. But everything else feels... overly geometric, I guess? I don't like it at all, and a non-negligible amount of that is that it feels like you can take one look at something and immediately tell if it was from an old Mario game or was made specifically for Super.

Yep, I agree with most of this, particularly the aesthetic of SPM feeling really uninspired and tripling down on something that... Isn't really enough of a concept to go all in on like that?

As I play further into Origami King though, I'm kind of taking the opinion that SPM's action-y "no battle screens, just hit them on the main screen" approach might have been the way to go. The combat in this game isn't bad, but it generally doesn't add anything for me either. The boss battles are great though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Super Paper Mario wasn't very good but especially in retrospect it was an interesting experiment in putting Mario in like a completely un-Mario rpg. It all takes place in another dimension, outside of generic enemies there's like no recognisable Mario characters or creatures and Bowser marrying Peach causes the apocalypse. Nothing about it really feels like it should involve Mario at all but it does anyway.

I can totally see it being the game that spurred Nintendo to put greater restrictions on future Mario rpgs. Because in Super Paper Mario Luigi's the anti-christ and we can't have that happen again.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Super Paper Mario wasn't very good but especially in retrospect it was an interesting experiment in putting Mario in like a completely un-Mario rpg. It all takes place in another dimension, outside of generic enemies there's like no recognisable Mario characters or creatures and Bowser marrying Peach causes the apocalypse. Nothing about it really feels like it should involve Mario at all but it does anyway.

I can totally see it being the game that spurred Nintendo to put greater restrictions on future Mario rpgs. Because in Super Paper Mario Luigi's the anti-christ and we can't have that happen again.

In that way isn't it pretty similar to Mario RPG? Been a while since I played it but I remember it being almost entirely new characters. They even had Booster, a one-off not-Wario for some reason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Super Paper Mario quite a lot.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm really enjoying this game. Every time I think I'll just play for an hour or so, I wind up playing for 3-4. Never played a Paper Mario before so to me it's just really fun all by itself.

I may or may not go for 100%, but there is a place where I missed a ? block because I destroyed the crates under it without thinking about it. Does anyone know if those respawn eventually, or is 100% not possible now no matter what I do?

Even if I don't go for it, that one block is really bugging me.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
as someone who has repeatedly self-owned in situations like that because I'm a loving idiot, I can tell you you just need to go to an entirely new area to reset the state of one-chance stuff

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

the will of T

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this is one of the stupidest games I've ever played and I mean that as a sincere compliment

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
I don't think the Paper Mario games are the greatest RPGs of all time but they are great, and part of that was the mechanical simplicity coupled with surprising depth, you could make some dumb builds in those games. But also the world was full of these unique faces and even if the writing is as strong as ever its just loses something without the variety the old games had. Also I would like another Mario RPG I like Mario and I like RPGs. Mario and Luigi was great but those arnt coming out anymore so ya I got my hopes up that the Origami King would have a battle system I could sink my teeth into as it is I dont like and suck at slider puzzles and was hoping the game would have something there for me and ended up disappointed when it didnt. Color Splash was just boring on the other hand I do not know how anyone got through that one.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I've basically finished running through location and collecting everything in them, except for some Trophies and Boss rematches, but can anyone give me some help?
I feel like I'm overthinking this, but I STILL can't go into the house in the first area. House keeps saying there's a Toad somewhere, and I assume it's the campfire one, because that one even gives me a prompt to use an item? I've even caught legendary Cheep Cheep and Blooper, hoping those would be used there, but nope.

Super Paper Mario's best achievement is giving us literal "Mario goes to hell" chapter. Shame about pretty bland level design, and, again, all the backtracking.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I've basically finished running through location and collecting everything in them, except for some Trophies and Boss rematches, but can anyone give me some help?
I feel like I'm overthinking this, but I STILL can't go into the house in the first area. House keeps saying there's a Toad somewhere, and I assume it's the campfire one, because that one even gives me a prompt to use an item? I've even caught legendary Cheep Cheep and Blooper, hoping those would be used there, but nope.

Super Paper Mario's best achievement is giving us literal "Mario goes to hell" chapter. Shame about pretty bland level design, and, again, all the backtracking.

There's something in the ocean you missed. Try talking to the a Shy Guy on a random rock outcropping.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Araxxor posted:

There's something in the ocean you missed. Try talking to the a Shy Guy on a random rock outcropping.

Will do, thanks! Still missing one collectible in there anyways.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Super Paper Mario had the engine to be a very very good game. The combat was actually pretty fun, varied and occasionally challenging. There were some really cool moments involving flipping dimensions. My main issue with it was how hard they padded the game out, especially in the later chapters. The "puzzle" where you have to write down some insanely long secret code, fighting almost the same 25 samurai in a row, the part where you repetitively ascend to heaven, the entire last chapter being a bunch of black walls made the game a lot less fun.

Origami King feels like there is very little filler. I wanted the game to be longer because I enjoyed it so much, but that is how you get things like TTYD's Chapter 4 and 5 backtracking and pre-Chapter 7's search for that Bob-omb.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hmm was just checking out the gallery and noticed there's one kind of enemy I didn't fight in the yellow streamer area. I have no idea what it could be. It was in the bottom right under either a fire or hammer bro. Apart from that I have 100% of enemies

That's a special enemy type that only spawns in one location in the game. You'll find it by actually getting into fights in the tunnel where you first get the bootcar instead of just gleefully running the folded soldiers down.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

Origami King feels like there is very little filler. I wanted the game to be longer because I enjoyed it so much, but that is how you get things like TTYD's Chapter 4 and 5 backtracking and pre-Chapter 7's search for that Bob-omb.

I was so surprised that even in moments where it really feels like the game would want you to backtrack, it didn't do it. really thought Chapter 3's dungeon was hiding discs because I needed to exit it and get back to the town.
Also the location design is just incredible overall. Way more open locations, all of which look loving gorgeous.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
YELLOW STREAMER SPOILERS

savage

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I too was not very big on Super Paper Mario. It's gameplay concept was a neat idea, but I really didn't like the execution. The controls are rather stiff, and I found a bunch of mechanics and fights to be rather unengaging. TTYD had a few "we wasted your time as a joke" sections (and a few others that were more just not well paced moments, as Chapter 4 really falls apart on repeat playthroughs when you're not focused on solving what happened to you), but Super really feels like it doesn't want you to play the game more often with how much of those it had. The most I ended up liking in the end was the flip mechanics, and even then those were a bit janky.

Vookatos posted:

I was so surprised that even in moments where it really feels like the game would want you to backtrack, it didn't do it. really thought Chapter 3's dungeon was hiding discs because I needed to exit it and get back to the town.
Also the location design is just incredible overall. Way more open locations, all of which look loving gorgeous.

Same. Heck it's fairly respectful of your time at certain moments as well, like granting you that boat engine upgrade the moment when you unlock the entire sea for real. And the big environments are just a delight to explore. Chapter 4 was like a playground for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

River boat tip I just realized: you can hit the brakes by hammering your own boat. It does cost a heart though

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SPM gets a lot of points from me for having playable peach, and tons of silly little peach lines if you go into cutscenes as her

If only you didn't have to change to Mario every minute to flip. If someone made a hack of spm where every character can flip i would replay the game right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One thing even Sticker Star has over the first three games is the level design is so much more involved and interesting. Before it every area in paper Mario game was more or less a straight corridor. Sometimes with a little bit of vertical path splitting. The closest map analog I can think of for the older ones is actually Simon's Quest.

The abilities from earlier games were cool, both partner abilities and the paper abilities like rolling up into a tube or power jump, but since color splash I have found I do like the more simple rule set of "You have a hammer. You have a jump". Everything you see is accessible via those moves unless it is locked out by story progress.

It just eliminates so much backtracking and makes you feel like you really can explore whatever you want while you're there.

Color Splash and Sticker Star still had a lot of areas where there wasn't any way to reach something or progress because you needed a Thing though. Which was sometimes annoying.

I like that most of the time in Origami King if there's a reason you can't progress it's a key item and often a literal key that it will be obvious you need.

I do love the partner moves and the Mario paper moves but if they bring something like that back, I hope they bring back the philosophy that you do not need them in areas before you unlock them, unless it's the hub, or there is a really compelling reason to go back there. I love being able to almost 100% an area before leaving on my first pass. Oddly in TOK the one place you couldn't really do this is sort of a pain to go back to.

Or if they give you all your moves early like in Breath of the Wild that would be good too.

The Origami King honestly really felt like a Zelda game a lot of the time. I personally loved the ring combat and I think the in game economy was actually very well balanced. I found myself broke at the start of purple streamer and low on cash again during the green streamer but never ran completely out or had to grind. But I also really loved the fights you did in the overworld. I'd love an adventure game in this style, not necessarily paper Mario, where all these kinds of fights were on the overworld. Those were really fun bosses and the way Mario recoiled back a mile after whacking them with the hammer felt great.

Yellow Streamer: Breath of the Wild
Purple: Wind Waker
Green: Skyward Sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Amppelix posted:

SPM gets a lot of points from me for having playable peach, and tons of silly little peach lines if you go into cutscenes as her

If only you didn't have to change to Mario every minute to flip. If someone made a hack of spm where every character can flip i would replay the game right now.

I remember being amused with SPM for a while but giving up at some point not more than halfway through when I couldn't remember how to get where I was going. I feel like they almost owe you a decent map screen if they're going to have you backtracking and running around this weird world with all these tiny little paths. It's one thing when you're playing straight through, but I think I put the game down for a week or so and when I came back I was completely lost. (I actually feel like that's a bit of a negative for Origami King too, although you don't have to do anywhere near as much backtracking.)

Is there a legit way to play TTYD if my Gamecube has been lost to time?