Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i'm sure they'd do a battle royale as well as Explorers did the Monster Hunter thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gripweed posted:

It's a shame they missed the boat on battle royales, they could've done a Final Fantasy battle royale.

Next Dissidia is 100 of your favorite characters all parachuting onto an island

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't get to choose your character, there are 100 random heroes and every time Cait Sith attacks you make a noise that can be heard from a long distance, it's perfect.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
"Aww man, I got Ceodore again!"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Like I think one of the PVP modes in FF14 is inspired by DOTA clones so it wouldn't surprise me if they made a Battle Royale PVP mode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah it's definitely his bosses' fault that he wanted to turn the whole game into a musical after like give years in development.

Lol I can't believe people are still trotting this poo poo out

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'll take my chances with FF6 Terra.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'll make the website

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bentacos posted:

"Aww man, I got Ceodore one of Edge's 4 flunkies Harley from TAY again!"

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

But don't you remember in FFX Tidus is shown in the water and swimming to the surface and...

Yeah I agree but that tends to be the defense of the good ending, that Tidus was always supposed to come back. I don't buy it.

Even if I did, X-2 is in all ways a vastly inferior game to the original FFX. It's not bad but you can't follow up the best FF with mediocrity, particularly if you're the first FF sequel ever. That was part of why X-2 got the reputation it did. In 2020 it's long forgotten how special a new Final Fantasy game was, how unprecedented X-2 was. But it had a lot of expectations heaped on it as the first FF (game) sequel and also a sequel to one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time.People wanted more of the same but they got the exact opposite, wit the exception of re-used environments and models, I guess. Gotta love that 9 month pregnant Lulu who looks exactly like she did in X.

As the Star Wars sequel trilogy has shown, giving the fans what they want leads to creatively bankrupt projects. A hypothetical X-2 made 5 years later in 2008, for the PS3, with the return of CTB, following another summoner's pilgrimage, would have been pretty mediocre and would have done more to ruin the original than what we got.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

gigglefeimer posted:

As the Star Wars sequel trilogy has shown, giving the fans what they want leads to creatively bankrupt projects. A hypothetical X-2 made 5 years later in 2008, for the PS3, with the return of CTB, following another summoner's pilgrimage, would have been pretty mediocre and would have done more to ruin the original than what we got.

:hai:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

Why couldn't they just make a prequel about Braska, Jecht and Auron? Lotta folks online have called for that since I stared posting about FF.

Besides, while FF reinventing the wheel with each new game can be neat, couldn't they have greater success from refining a current battle system? FFX had the best battle system in the series but it had flaws. Just iron out those flaws for the sequel instead of tossing everything out and bringing in a whole new system with a new set of flaws.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Why couldn't they just make a prequel about Braska, Jecht and Auron? Lotta folks online have called for that since I stared posting about FF.

Besides, while FF reinventing the wheel with each new game can be neat, couldn't they have greater success from refining a current battle system? FFX had the best battle system in the series but it had flaws. Just iron out those flaws for the sequel instead of tossing everything out and bringing in a whole new system with a new set of flaws.

I would 1000000% be on board with a prequel set during the Bevelle-Zanarkand war and travel across Spira at it's apex before Sin shows up and sends everyone back to the iron age.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

They didn't make that prequel because it would have been mediocre as I said. You forgot to mention that the common closing after people post about wanting the prequel is "...but we already know that story so I guess that's why they didn't go that direction."

And X-2 did refine a battle system, just not X's.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

gigglefeimer posted:

They didn't make that prequel because it would have been mediocre as I said. You forgot to mention that the common closing after people post about wanting the prequel is "...but we already know that story so I guess that's why they didn't go that direction."

And X-2 did refine a battle system, just not X's.

I mean, I think this could be said to apply to Crisis Core too, and that was a pretty good game imo

(not saying I don't like X-2, I'm happy with what they did, but a prequel isn't out of the question)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like the prequels more if they were adaptations of the novelizations (lol).

I feel like I'm in bizarro world where I loved FFX-2's premise but didn't enjoy playing through the game that much, but I'm glad all that musical stuff exists because it's awesome.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anakha posted:

I'll take my chances with FF6 Terra.

Exdeath and you can actually conjure the Battle Royale circles of death to nuke cities to the void.

:getin:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ventana posted:

I mean, I think this could be said to apply to Crisis Core too, and that was a pretty good game imo

(not saying I don't like X-2, I'm happy with what they did, but a prequel isn't out of the question)

A prequel serves to flush out previous mentioned minor details and characters. There was space for that with Zack because he got two scenes in FFVII. The Nibelheim Incident and then his escape, rescue of Cloud, and his last stand. That's it.

I don't see what a FFX prequel could explore. We know not just how Braska, Jecht and Auron's pilgrimage ends, but how it plays out from Auron's reminiscing and his memory orbs.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
A FFX prequel set a 1000 years earlier but there's actually a whole world and Spira is just this archipelago that everyone stays away from because they're religious fanatics. Tidus is the protagonist, having appeared there after being blown up by a blitzball.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Pepper posted:

Then, rather then have Nomura direct the game they kept on shunting him over to Kingdom Hearts games.

shunting? no, kh is his baby, ff is his unwanted stepchild

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know he seemed really attached to Versus XIII.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I don't see what a FFX prequel could explore. We know not just how Braska, Jecht and Auron's pilgrimage ends, but how it plays out from Auron's reminiscing and his memory orbs.
Exactly.

Story-wise, I think that would have been a lot less interesting than the internet imagines. FFX actually showed off a lot of pieces in parts of the journey along the way (Auron's dialogue, Jecht spheres, various comments made by people Yuna encounters), plus all the key story beats of the end of the story have been described. So basically the writers would be forced to backfill areas between a lot of preset events that need to happen, which usually ends up with a very disjointed story and character development that doesn't really flow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just do FFX-2 but replace YRP with BAJ.

Everything otherwise stays the same. Everything.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Playing FFVIIR, I got the feeling this is the FFXIII Versus Square originally had in mind.

Running through various sectors of Midgar and the battle system feels very similar to the early trailers of Versus.

FFXV probably wouldve been an amazing game if they focused on a single location (Insomnia) instead trying to make it open world.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Not that it (the August patch) is out yet, but I am going to try FFXIV when it comes out and am trying to convince an mmo-fan friend to play with me. He said he tried it before and it didn't grab him. Has anyone got a write up of changes that will happen soon / changes that have happened in the last couple of years? Like what good stuff specifically has happened/will happen?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

redreader posted:

Not that it (the August patch) is out yet, but I am going to try FFXIV when it comes out and am trying to convince an mmo-fan friend to play with me. He said he tried it before and it didn't grab him. Has anyone got a write up of changes that will happen soon / changes that have happened in the last couple of years? Like what good stuff specifically has happened/will happen?

If you could pin down specifically where you left off in terms of the game and the story that would help a lot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

redreader posted:

These are the main changes in the new patch:

https://novacrystallis.com/2020/07/letter-from-the-producer-live-59-summary-patch-5-3-trailer-and-free-trial-extended-through-heavensward/

The most relevant parts for people starting from scratch:

quote:

The ability to fly in A Realm Reborn zones has been added and you can unlock it by completing the A Realm Reborn scenario.
A lot of quests have been shortened, or their requirements lessened. For example, you won’t have to collect as many of an item to complete them. They’ve also made an teleport ticket just for The Waking Sands to accommodate new players and lessen the amount of travel time involved.
Yoshida explained that they designed quests to take around nine minutes to complete back then, even if you skipped cut-scenes. The revamp will see main scenario quest experience points adjusted so that you won’t need to worry about meeting level requirements for the next chain.

That said, most of why FF14 is considered great has been because of building stuff on top of a foundation that is still a little shaky even after 2.0 -- even with the changes, it will require getting to post-2.0 patch and expansion content to dig into the really good stuff. However, since they are making the free trial include all of Heavensward and the follow-up patches, both of you would only have to invest time, rather than money, to check it out:

quote:

The game’s Free Trial mode will be expanded — you will be able to play for free up to Level 60 (up from 35.) You’ll be able to play up to patch 3.56 of the Heavensward expansion without a subscription and have access to Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist as well as the Au Ra race. There will still be restrictions on in-game currency.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Just do FFX-2 but replace YRP with BAJ.

Everything otherwise stays the same. Everything.

Including the Sailor Moon outfit changes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

Including the Sailor Moon outfit changes.

Especially the actual outfits.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

TBH the bits and pieces of it we have seen and what he's doing re: It being made it part of some Metacrisis On Infinite Games with his other works Versus 13 probably would have been better than FF15 turned out.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't blame him, I'm still attached to Versus XIII too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Elentor posted:

I can't blame him, I'm still attached to Versus XIII too.

Well Kingdom Hearts 3 Re⌖Mind has something for you :)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

TBH the bits and pieces of it we have seen and what he's doing re: It being made it part of some Metacrisis On Infinite Games with his other works Versus 13 probably would have been better than FF15 turned out.

tbf i'm not sure what he's doing with the concept now would've been exactly how it would've went if Versus actually got released. It still may have been better though, I wasn't super into XV at least.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When will we get a Nintendo tier leak and get some unseen content from Versus XIII

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf i'm not sure what he's doing with the concept now would've been exactly how it would've went if Versus actually got released. It still may have been better though, I wasn't super into XV at least.

I mean FF7R's combat matches what little we saw of Versus 13's gameplay concepts (Unique character gimmicks, swapping mid combat, action gameplay etc). He's remaking it in parts and also using KH to take on his personal sadness a story he loved was taken from him and turned into something else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

When will we get a Nintendo tier leak and get some unseen content from Versus XIII

Knowing SE all thats left on the drives is an email saying "make sure to back up all this Versus XIII work, we could definitely use it later!"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

At this point the Master of Masters is going to be the head of Square Enix and Sora's gonna teach him to let everyone's story be told by beating him up and I'm here for it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The only thing in the Versus folder is the missing source code for VIII

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The only thing in the Versus folder is the missing source code for VIII

"Wait, this says FFVIII-2. What the hell is this?" he says, booting up the file. Suddenly, in a tiny 240p window pops up a banner telling him todays deal on triple triad cards is 10 packs for 25 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nomura's just going to put Versus XIII into KH4 so we'll be able to see all that content in like I dunno 5 years or so?