Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Mountain Biking Megathread/Q&A
Hello there! This is your one-stop shop for anything related to mountain biking. Whether you've been riding for 10 years and have a garage full of bikes worth more than most people's cars or you're completely new to the sport, this thread is for you. Use this thread to talk about your most recent epic ride, to meet up with other mountain bikers in your area, and to masturbate/complain over how expensive your gear is.

What this thread is NOT for:
Discussion of road/commuting cycling or which form of cycling is best because it’s clearly mountain biking that wins that argument

Riding Disciplines/Styles

Cross-Country (XC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irIXRM9mmso
The most common style of riding- XC encompasses everything from more leisurely, long-distance rides to full-on spandex-clad sprinting. XC is where most mountain bikers get their start, and ultimately, it's where many choose to stay.

XC bikes are similarly diverse and are largely dependent based on the preferences, skill, terrain commonly ridden and intent of the rider in question. XC riders choose to ride hardtails or full-suspension bikes depending on their own subjective needs; you technically don't need full suspension to ride ANY trail (but it sure does help sometimes.) XC bikes are usually very light, (under 30 pounds for most, some much lower).

All-Mountain (AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_-LlgccN8
All-mountain should be regarded as more than XC, but less than freeride. Typical AM riders will want to be able to ride technical terrain both up AND down the trail, so most AM bikes are designed to be beefier than their lighter XC counterparts but without the overall bulk of a freeride or downhill bike.

Freeride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLuqKNKOqs
Freeride is built around jumping, dropping and going fast. These bikes will feature a lot of suspension (6"+ both front and rear), weigh significantly more than their XC or AM buds, and generally perform a lot better pointed downhill than they will pointed up.

Within freeride, there's other subsets, including slopestyle and big mountain. Slopestyle borrows heavily from similar snowboarding competitions, with a lot of emphasis on huge tricks launched off large, machine-cut jumps and style. Big mountain generally refers to launching off large, natural terrain features like huge drops and occasionally cliffs.

Downhill (DH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwsLxrOlGGE
Downhill shares some similarities with freeride, but with less of a focus on tricks or stunts. Built to take a beating and handle at high speeds, DH bikes are very heavy (think 30+ pounds), but new technological advancements are bringing the weight down each season.

Both freeride and DH fall under the umbrella of "gravity" riding, i.e. going with gravity (going downslope) rather than fighting it (climbing back up.) Downhill bikes differ from their freeride counterparts in terms of geometry- amongst many other things; a DH bike will have a very slack head tube angle for stable handling at high speeds and a lower bottom bracket than a freeride bike.

Racing is common for all of the above styles with perhaps the exception of freeride. Enduro racing is starting to become bigger, and it's seemingly a hybrid of XC and DH racing where the focus is on descending, but the course itself will entail some moderate climbing.

There are of course other types of riding like dirt jumping, trials riding, racing, cyclocross, mountain bike touring and other forms, but these are the most commonly encountered and I'll let others chime in about those.

Looking for a bike? Here is a link to MTBR's subforums for mountain bike manufacturers.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I'm looking to get into mountain biking! What kind of bike should I get?

This answer will vary on an individual basis. You should first spend some time researching what kind of riding options you have near you, looking at what others are riding, and assessing your general comfort level and knowledge of cycling in general. Ask around on what shops are good or cater to mountain bikers, and go there. A good bike shop worker should be more concerned about sending you home with the best bike for you rather than overselling you, but unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. Take into account your maximum budget, and the terrain you'll be riding the most. Go to the major manufacturer sites - Specialized, Trek, Giant - and look at the bikes in your price range. These three major manufacturers have offerings from entry level to high end, and you can't go wrong in choosing one of their bikes. Consider the bikes that are available and then consider the terrain you'll be riding - are there lots of extended climbs? Rocky and rooty terrain? Is it tame and mellow? These kinds of questions can help you decide, or can help you bring the right information to this thread so we can help.

Most people tend to think that beginners should start off with a hardtail, but of course, this is all subject to your local terrain and what kind of riding you'd like to do. Expect to spend at least $1000-1500 USD for a fairly decent new one; also check with your LBS (local bike shop) to see if they have any deals on last year's models. A lot of shops will also have really good deals on demo bikes (bikes used at the shop for people to test ride) that are usually maintained fairly well and generally not ridden too terribly hard. Used bikes can also be a good way to enter the sport, but make sure to check the frame for any deformities, cracks, or anything beyond normal wear and tear on the frame itself and make sure the components are in good condition. Bring a friend who knows something about bikes with you if you don't know what to look for.

Mountain bike technology moves really fast compared to other cycling disciplines, a 5 year old mountain bike is getting pretty dated, a 10 year old mountain bike is absolutely ancient. So if you’re looking to get a used bike, make sure it’s not too old. Don’t hesitate to ask the thread for advice, we’ll be more than happy to help.

What's a 29er and should I get one?
A 29er is a mountain bike with wheels measuring 29 inches in diameter. This allows them to roll more easily over obstacles, but they do have arguable drawbacks like not feeling as nimble on the trail as their smaller-wheeled brethren. People will argue all day long about the pros and cons, but the best way to decide is to throw a leg over one and give it a shot. Only you can tell if it's the style that suits you.

What's a 650b and should I get one?
Also known as 27.5” it was really popular for a little while but 29ers are the current hotness. Still a lot of good 27.5 bikes out there but if you’re looking to buy a new bike this is probably not the way to go.

What‘s 26”?
Old, they’re fine if you already have one, but don’t buy one unless you’re getting it for a specific reason

I found a sweet, full-suspension model with disc brakes at Wal-Mart for only $150! It even comes with a free kickstand! Is this a good deal or WHAT!?

You will die a horrible, horrible death and no one will mourn you. Mountain biking has a fairly high barrier to entry in terms of cost, and department store bikes should not be considered adequate for riding down anything more technical than a gentle, grassy hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMnk_eCDQU

This video shows what happens when you take a department store bike on serious terrain. Granted, this is an extreme example, but it goes to show that you shouldn't expect decent performance or durability from a super cheap bike. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Bikes are complicated! How do I know what I should call each part?
Ask us, it’ll take a while to get the nomenclature down but here’s a basic start:

What's singletrack?
Singletrack refers to a type of trail that is wide enough to accommodate one rider. It does not refer to the type of terrain- singletrack can be extremely smooth and polished or full of roots and rocks.

Doubletrack and fire roads are also common riding terrain.

My friend rides downhill and says that XC riders are all lame. My XC riding friend says downhillers are fat shitheads. Who's right?
They both are, people that argue this are lame. All bikes are good (except hybrids)

Hey, I've decided that I really enjoy this mountain biking thing and would like to help out with advocacy, trailbuilding, etc. How do I get started with this?
Your first stop should be the International Mountain Bike Association's (IMBA) local clubs page. IMBA helps local cycling clubs/cycling advocacy organizations with lots of things, including trailbuilding projects, and you can probably find a local organization that would be happy to have your time, effort, money, or all of the above. If you can't find a local organization, talk with the guys at your LBS and see what else is out there- some clubs may not be officially related with IMBA and may not be on the website.

Hey I really want to get into this mountain bike thing, where should I start for a bike?

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Ground floor

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> To compound things, bike manufacturers are also starting to really push the 650b wheelset (27.5 inches in diameter, so right in between 26" and 29") for more downhill/freeride type riding.

Ah, the good ol days.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The future is all mullets.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Don't knock my hair.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kimbo305 posted:

> To compound things, bike manufacturers are also starting to really push the 650b wheelset (27.5 inches in diameter, so right in between 26" and 29") for more downhill/freeride type riding.

Ah, the good ol days.

someone here was selling an old GT with the obscure 700D standard which was literally one mm off 650b (meaning it's effectively compatible)

People did weird poo poo attempting early "gravel" (usually called "crossover") bikes back then. (see also: Specialized RockCombo, Bridgestone XO)

(the dropbar version, eg Specialized RockCombo was called the Tachyon and I want one)

minarets
May 12, 2003

Re: the thread title, a reminder that there are sweaty lady MTBers as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

minarets posted:

And those of us who aren't in that binary!

The siren call of a new MTB is a bit strong right now.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im a sweaty bear

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

minarets posted:

yes but that doesn’t make for a subtle gay joke :colbert:

hemale in pain posted:

im a sweaty bear

:emptyquote:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I would prefer to be referred to as a non-gendered sweaty bear.

Haven't hit any trails since the pandemic hit, being afraid of people, but have been jonesing to do something other than riding around my neighbourhood bike paths.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Do what feels safe but I've had good luck riding off hours and not seeing any/many people, and anyone I've seen has been polite about leaving as much space as possible.

One of my riding buddies and I have been getting out fairly regularly in a responsible way and it's been a big part of not going crazy during all that's going on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve got some Freeriders on the way thanks to some suggestion in this-ish thread. Unduly excited to get them in the woods next week. :gizz:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This weekend is a whole lot of rain. What a bummer. We are supposed to just be dry with forest fires. Got new pedals on the bike though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The old thread was my best contribution to these forums. Farewell, old friend.

In other news I’m on a trip to the George Washington National Forest right now. Did Reddish Knob yesterday and have never gone so fast while still grabbing my brakes at the same time. Today was Lookout Mountain, which featured a crazy technical descent after miles of climbing on fire roads.

I’m loving this poo poo; it’s a nice diversion from the manicured singletrack I normally ride in the DC area.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
First page, new bike day

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
double

thatguy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 26, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

spwrozek posted:

This weekend is a whole lot of rain. What a bummer. We are supposed to just be dry with forest fires. Got new pedals on the bike though.

But but but

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The old thread was my best contribution to these forums. Farewell, old friend.

In other news I’m on a trip to the George Washington National Forest right now. Did Reddish Knob yesterday and have never gone so fast while still grabbing my brakes at the same time. Today was Lookout Mountain, which featured a crazy technical descent after miles of climbing on fire roads.

I’m loving this poo poo; it’s a nice diversion from the manicured singletrack I normally ride in the DC area.

It's the best riding around! If you see this tonight and can download this, do the 40k loop tomorrow (it's the first loop on the track, leaving out the Hankey climb and Lookout): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6805361

Festival and Tillman West are the two descents and they're both really, really fun. If you can't download it I guarantee you that someone at the campground knows the route. You're probably talking to someone who does right now (assuming you're camping there). Have a blast, I'm super jealous and annoyed that I haven't been out there since the 60/40 a few months ago.

VacaGrande fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 26, 2020

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

spwrozek posted:

I'm welcoming this rain. My last ride was surprisingly dusty. Should be some hero-dirt to be had tomorrow morning.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

thatguy posted:

But but but

Looking goooooood.

Nohearum posted:

I'm welcoming this rain. My last ride was surprisingly dusty. Should be some hero-dirt to be had tomorrow morning.

I will gladly take the rain, I just didn't look at the forecast so I drove out here with bikes for no reason. Got a great 7 mile hike in pouring rain in though. My GF (newer to riding) used the hike to talk about downhill line selection and if she thought she could get the section clean. I think she has caught the bug.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

Ground floor

Same but only because I can't jump

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

My GF (newer to riding) used the hike to talk about downhill line selection and if she thought she could get the section clean.

Every mountain biker hiking, ever. Congrats, she's hooked.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Mountain bikes are the best bikes. Mountain bike thread best bike thread.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Mountain bikes are the best bikes. Mountain bike thread best bike thread.

What Salsa frame is this??

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Last gen Horsethief.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

feelix posted:

First page, new bike day

Been looking at getting one of these, how is it?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

i flunked out posted:

Been looking at getting one of these, how is it?

I really like it! I've only ridden it at the pump track so far but it's really fun and I'm already (unsuccessfully) trying to jump some of the gaps. It's my first DJ so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I really like that I don't feel cramped on it despite being 6'4, I think the large frame really helps.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Been rocking my 2018 Norco Fluid 2 for over 2 years now. Still need to upgrade the pedals.

minarets
May 12, 2003

I just moved to LA (west side) from Boston and I'm looking for some new riding buddies so if you or someone you love likes riding bikes at an intermediate level, lmk

Dumbdog
Sep 13, 2011
Has anyone got any experience of time pedals, particularly the speciale 8 or 12?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Almost done repainting my Karate Monkey. Just need one more coat and then clear. Next step is cutting some matte gold vinyl for the KM logos and what not. I was going to get some custom fox fork stickers ordered this week for a Factory 34 I picked up, but fox hosed me on that.
https://www.slikgraphics.com/shop/fork-decals-fox/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sadi posted:

Almost done repainting my Karate Monkey. Just need one more coat and then clear. Next step is cutting some matte gold vinyl for the KM logos and what not. I was going to get some custom fox fork stickers ordered this week for a Factory 34 I picked up, but fox hosed me on that.

What color is that? I want that for the dick wood™

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I used duplicolor metalcast purple with their metalcast base layer.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sadi posted:

I used duplicolor metalcast purple with their metalcast base layer.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint/

How many cans did you end up needing? Looks great.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I did 1.5 cans of self etching primer with wet sanding in between coats. 1 can of metastasizing base coat. with just a little wet sanding where I dripped and a touch up spray there. About 2 cans of the purple. I still have to shoot my last coat to catch a few thin spots. And Im planning on 1 can of 2K gloss clear coat, but Im waiting on my respirator to come in (thanks rona).

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

Sadi posted:

this is going to look amazing, great work

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I'm not partial to purple on my own bikes but that's gonna look real cool.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BeastPussy posted:

I'm not partial to purple on my own bikes

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

BeastPussy posted: