Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

The receiver technically, since I’ve used a bunch and only one has ever done that (it was some gym equipment thing), but it is a bit weird for macOS or iOS to launch some poo poo up when nothings playing. If you leave Apple Music or another music app running but paused on a song, then reconnect the receiver does it resume playing the song?

and yea I agree and I just edited my post to say something similar

I didn't try that, but yeah it just launched the music app and played the first track simply when I went to the bluetooth input on the receiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

That’s definitely the Bluetooth device auto pressing play upon connection. MacOS should probably not auto play in some situations like that though. I’ve never liked the play button launching an app and playing whatever in both iOS and macOS

Holy poo poo this happened to me twice this week when connecting to a Zoom call. I thought I was going nuts.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Indeed and why IN THE gently caress do you involve your recently dissected music 'service' in deciding to cut into on any service that looks like it may be receptive?
gently caress OFF Apple Music. You are NOT U2! Learn!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Related, I use Unified Remote on my iPad/iPhone to control my Macbook hooked to my TV when watching stuff and I've noticed as of 10.15.4 that the Play/Pause button on the Unified Remote Media Remote no longer works for VLC, instead it opens Music.
I have to use the UR VLC specific remote instead. Previously, I am SURE I didn't have to do this.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What's the best vm on mac? VirtualBox?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

barkbell posted:

What's the best vm on mac? VirtualBox?

VMWare Fusion and Parallels are the two closed-source competitors. If you want to run Windows, you generally want to go with one of those two. I've always found that Parallels was faster and had better integration with macOS. Fusion is more hit or miss. Because they cost, they are both generally well-supported with macOS updates. Both are much faster than VirtualBox.

VirtualBox is fine for messing around with a Linux distro mostly in the command line. I wouldn't want to do work in heavy GUI-based applications with it.

Parallels and Fusion can also boot your Boot Camp partition, which can be very useful if you switch between macOS and Windows frequently.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I just need it to run IE to solve a bug, IE end of life cannot come soon enough. Maybe I just need some like web app virtualization honestly

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If it's just for a small thing and there's no one around to pay for a license, VirtualBox will work just fine for that.

Microsoft provides VirtualBox images for IE testing, so that will work for you (they also provide Parallels). https://www.degdigital.com/insights/virtualbox-test-ie11-mac/

Sorry to hear webdev is still supporting IE. I sympathize but it's also amusing. It's OK, I was writing new Perl code just last year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
VB is fine, I use it all the time with Vagrant.

It's even possible to get good windows performance on it if you use the VirtIO drivers. I also like to run the VMware optimizer to turn off all the extra crap.

Ive got Win10 and a Server2019 guests that I use snapshots with to test ansible stuff and run the occasional windows software on my Mac. It's great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barkbell posted:

I just need it to run IE to solve a bug, IE end of life cannot come soon enough.

I work for my country's national broadcaster and some of our software ONLY works on IE and in loving silverlight. It's insane

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I work for my country's national broadcaster and some of our software ONLY works on IE and in loving silverlight. It's insane

Isn't Silverlight EOL? Surprised you can still download it.

It was a much better dev environment than Flash / Flex. Getting working stuff out there with Silverlight was just smoother across the board.

Plugins are dead, long live monolithic browsers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

No idea, I rarely have to deal with it thankfully. Up until about a month ago when I caused a massive fuss, the website that external production companies would use to deliver files for broadcast was totally broken on Mac because they hadn't updated their Aspera server. It was a poo poo-show.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I'm creating mortgage management software. I'm pretty sure every accounting department in the US still uses IE

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pivo posted:

Plugins are dead, long live monolithic browsers.

Wow, I thought it had been properly Old Yeller'd but I guess it does still exist. Your later statement is more the cause of it being a non-thing in 2020, no browser support outside of IE.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4511036/silverlight-end-of-support

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

prob a dumb question, but what's the biggest risk of keeping SIP disabled?

As I mentioned yesterday, I temporarily did this to remove the Music app and some other things, but after reenabling they show up in the app list again, but don't actually open. when i conntect bluetooth the music icon pops up on the dock, but doesn't open, etc.

edit: ok this is weird, I tried disabling and then enabling again, and now the music icon doesn't pop up on the dock when enabling bluetooth like it did before. maybe the first time something was updated overnight or whatever.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 25, 2020

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kgibson posted:

Can anyone recommend a good piece of software for annotating/adding text to pdfs? I find Preview so clunky and frustrating for doing so but I am also not super interested in paying for Acrobat if I don't have to.

I swear by PDF Expert, the only thing it's missing is OCR (which they're working on). It's a little expensive though.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Paying for software just to read a PDF kill me now.
Does anyone know an efficient way to float a window? I like to keep my text editor or VLC always on top.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've used Afloat in the past but I remember installing it was weird and I'm not sure if it currently works with Catalina.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

excellent bird guy posted:

Paying for software just to read a PDF kill me now.

Why would you need to pay for software to READ a PDF? Preview works just fine.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Proteus Jones posted:

Why would you need to pay for software to READ a PDF? Preview works just fine.

I don't know? :confused: Ask forums user Gay Retard who swears by PDF Expert even if it's a little $$$
edit: oo you got me good. READ with emphasis.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 27, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know? :confused: Ask forums user Gay Retard who swears by PDF Expert even if it's a little $$$

Someone asked about full on annotation and editing. I use it all the time and it's worth every penny if you do a lot of PDF editing and and marking up revisions. Of course I use it mostly on my iPad with the Pencil.

For most people that only need to be able to read, fill out PDF forms and paste a signature, Preview is good enough.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 27, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Proteus Jones posted:

That's for full on annotation and editing. I use it all the time and it's worth every penny if you do a lot of PDF editing and and marking up revisions. Of course I use it mostly on my iPad with the Pencil.

For most people that only need to be able to read, fill out PDF forms and paste a signature, Preview is good enough.

Oh ok, yea Preview is fine. I do stuff with LaTeX but it's syntax is absolutly bananas and outdated. Surely expert-mode pdf would, I could see give more maintainability to pdf.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I do stuff with LaTeX but it's syntax is absolutly bananas and outdated

Is there a better system for typesetting mathematics? I've never seen one. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's outdated -- something newer has to be demonstrably better. Anything WYSIWYG for math is always a huge fail.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I wish there was a nice and working macOS app for Pinboard bookmarks. There used to be several thriving apps but they all died because I guess there’s no money in it.

Edit: even the iOS apps are dying too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Violator posted:

I wish there was a nice and working macOS app for Pinboard bookmarks. There used to be several thriving apps but they all died because I guess there’s no money in it.

Edit: even the iOS apps are dying too.

I just use bookmarklets from the Pinboard site, myself.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Is there a way to launch a bunch of applications, specifying window geometry and placement in Aqua a la .xsession?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pivo posted:

Is there a better system for typesetting mathematics? I've never seen one. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's outdated -- something newer has to be demonstrably better. Anything WYSIWYG for math is always a huge fail.
In my experience LaTeX is excellent for mathematics and for referencing and completely batshit insane for everything else. I still use it because lol academia but for something that's ostensibly supposed to take care of all the formatting so you can just write it's absolutely catastrophic.

I'd also vouch for PDF Expert as a great PDF tool, though my excuse for using paid software for reading PDFs is that I really need something that does a split pane view, sadly missing from Preview.

Edit: Since LaTeX came up, TexPad is also a fantastic (but paid) tool for creating LaTeX documents, it does a great job of hiding the hundreds of ancillary trash files that get created when you render documents and supports live updating as you edit.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 27, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I just use bookmarklets from the Pinboard site, myself.

I do that for adding sites, but I’d like an app to browse my collection because I don’t like their site very much.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use Mendeley's free account for syncing and annotating PDFs

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fallom posted:

I use Mendeley's free account for syncing and annotating PDFs

Does it sync across devices? Because that's my main reason for using PDF Expert. That and I got it ages ago at a discount and upgraded as new versions rolled out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Does it sync across devices? Because that's my main reason for using PDF Expert. That and I got it ages ago at a discount and upgraded as new versions rolled out.

Yep. I use the desktop version on my Macbook and my desktop PC, and the web version on my work PC. It all syncs up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fallom posted:

Yep. I use the desktop version on my Macbook and my desktop PC, and the web version on my work PC. It all syncs up.

Ah, I was thinking more along the lines of desktop<>iOS since I do a lot of my PDF review and annotation on the jumbo-tron iPad Pro

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
It does have apps, I'm not familiar with the iOS version but the Android one is meh the last time I checked. I've been using Mendeley for almost 10 years now and it's pretty nice. There are some quirks certainly but I've got about 1800 PDFs it manages.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'll definitely give it a look. I'm locked in the last version of PDF Expert because last I looked either the entire next version or a feature set I use went subscription based.

Now there is definitely software that I'm willing to go with subscriptions, but this one ain't one of them. If I could get work to pay, that's one thing but they have a very narrow "is it part of current builds? Then gently caress off" policy on most extra software.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm locked in the last version of PDF Expert because last I looked either the entire next version or a feature set I use went subscription based.

LMAO they forgot the entire point of the exercise is to suck less than acrobat reader

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OK, I finally went to their page to verify what I vaguely remembered hearing about and it's not terrible.

The base version is free, which will allow document management (from a files and folder point of view), annotation, form fill out and reading.

If you bought version 6, then you get the same features from 6 in version 7 as a free upgrade path.

If you bought additional features as part of 6, you get those features as well in 7 as a free upgrade path.

So at least I know I can move the latest version and not lose any of the tools I use on the reg.

https://pdfexpert.com/blog/faq-pdf-expert7-update

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If it’s full fledged pdf research features you need then Papers is an excellent PDF manager with OSX and iPad apps.

Liquid text is also good for research using pdfs as well on iPad.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there such a thing as a "GIF keyboard" for macOS? I have to jump for my phone any time I want to reply in Messages with a GIF and I'm hoping there's something like it for macOS.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

IAmKale posted:

Is there such a thing as a "GIF keyboard" for macOS? I have to jump for my phone any time I want to reply in Messages with a GIF and I'm hoping there's something like it for macOS.

Command + Control + Space

e: also there's a free tool called Rocket if you want slack-like emoji completion: https://matthewpalmer.net/rocket/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Splinter posted:

Command + Control + Space

Emoji are not GIFs!

But while we're here, I love this app: https://matthewpalmer.net/rocket/. It's a slick system-wide Emoji search that works like Slack et al, you type a colon (or whatever you choose) and immediately text search from there. With Pro (only 5 bux) you can add custom Emoji and GIFs! But it won't search GIPHY for you, I don't think.