Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

From MSI's B450 Tomahawk mobo support page.

It's set to Disabled. Speed and Duplex is set to Auto-Negotiation. I've tried setting it to 1GB Full Duplex, but it stays at 100Mbps. I can set it lower to 10Mbps.

Try https://www.realtek.com/en/directly-download?downloadid=e325b30100aabb619ad0b3c753314131

Claims to be Win10 Auto Installation Program Version 10.042 from 2020/07/06, which appears to be newer than the one on MSI's page (10.38.1118.2019 / 2020-06-16).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
After all these years.. THIS is a problem?! Leave it to Realtek I guess.
[edit] Busted network cable?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 19, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

edit] Busted network cable?

Always a good thing to test, too.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I wonder, what would be slower, a spinny drive with 32gb ram, or a fast ssd with 1gb?

E: I would find out for myself, but I don't have any sticks smaller than 4gb.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

astral posted:

Try https://www.realtek.com/en/directly-download?downloadid=e325b30100aabb619ad0b3c753314131

Claims to be Win10 Auto Installation Program Version 10.042 from 2020/07/06, which appears to be newer than the one on MSI's page (10.38.1118.2019 / 2020-06-16).

So I downloaded this driver, but same problem.

Everything is as fast as it should be. Then I sleep/reboot the machine and it resets to 100Mbps:

astral posted:

I'll see if I have a spare. Although I'm positive Windows 10 is the issue here. Since the Linux partition on the machine isn't experiencing the same issue.

EDIT: I think I've figured it out. WOL & Shutdown Link Speed under advanced properties was set to 100Mbps instead of Not Speed Down. I believe that's why the speed was resetting every time the computer slept/shutdown/rebooted.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 19, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

New edge rules and I'm curious how, specifically, Microsoft is stealing all my info. I use auto cookie delete, and the normal adblock poo poo. I'm sure they do something insidious but at this point I just have no idea what it is.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

jokes posted:

New edge rules and I'm curious how, specifically, Microsoft is stealing all my info. I use auto cookie delete, and the normal adblock poo poo. I'm sure they do something insidious but at this point I just have no idea what it is.
I mean, your using windows right? And windows browser? Perhaps that's how.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

astral posted:

Last time I ran into this issue it turned out to be literally a 4 conductor ethernet cable.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

At my previous place of residence (a shared rental property), they put in gigafiber in 2017, but didn't replace the ethernet jacks in the bedrooms until 2018. The jacks were originally wired up with landline capability, so even though the connection was Cat5 (the bare minimum needed for gigabit), only half of the twisted pairs were being utilized. The first year we were still limited to 100/100. When they finally fixed the jacks (which is what they should have done with the initial install), suddenly...

woosh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my laptop now always shows the lock screen after waking from sleep (and then the sign in screen). it used to just resume straight back where i left it. is there an option i need to toggle to bring back that behavior? i don't use a password, btw.

e:this is w/ 2004

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
2004 reset all the sharing options on my Plex server PC and changed literally nothing else. One of the more baffling changes I've run into in awhile. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't access that PC on my network without it prompting me for a password (I would like to point out that the Plex server PC does not and has never required a user password). :argh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

netBuff posted:

Is any third-party AV installed or are there traces of one? In that case, download the uninstallation tool from the third-party AV website.

If that doesn't help, try updating to the latest version 2004, which amounts to a reinstall of system files. Maybe that fixes it.

Yep manually forcing the 2004 update fixed the Defender issue. Took like 5 hours to install but everything seems to be working fine and maybe even better now.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep manually forcing the 2004 update fixed the Defender issue. Took like 5 hours to install but everything seems to be working fine and maybe even better now.

That's great to hear! I've solved a surprising number of Windows problems (Windows Update no longer working, for example) by forcing an update to the latest version.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Captain Yossarian posted:

2004 reset all the sharing options on my Plex server PC and changed literally nothing else. One of the more baffling changes I've run into in awhile. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't access that PC on my network without it prompting me for a password (I would like to point out that the Plex server PC does not and has never required a user password). :argh:

Kinda solved my own issue? This is at least partially related to Windows disabling SMB because turning it back on solved all my issues. I don't think I ever noticed the problem previously because before now all five of my PCs were on different windows 10 versions 🤷🏻‍♂️

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

netBuff posted:

That's great to hear! I've solved a surprising number of Windows problems (Windows Update no longer working, for example) by forcing an update to the latest version.

I suppose it makes sense when you consider that they're closer to fresh installs than Service Packs used to be, now. It's convenient in that sense at least.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kinda solved my own issue? This is at least partially related to Windows disabling SMB because turning it back on solved all my issues. I don't think I ever noticed the problem previously because before now all five of my PCs were on different windows 10 versions 🤷🏻‍♂️

SMBv1 gets disabled by windows updates for a very good reason, it is a gaping goatman-sized security hole. If you have devices that can't access your plex server without SMBv1, it's time to update or change those things.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Klyith posted:

SMBv1 gets disabled by windows updates for a very good reason, it is a gaping goatman-sized security hole. If you have devices that can't access your plex server without SMBv1, it's time to update or change those things.

If I'm using windows built in network share, these drives literally can't be accessed without it. All the machines are running windows 10 pro lol. I'm sure it's a security hole, I just don't have an alternative

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

If I'm using windows built in network share, these drives literally can't be accessed without it. All the machines are running windows 10 pro lol. I'm sure it's a security hole, I just don't have an alternative

Is this the thing you're turning back on?

Or this?

The first one is bad bad BAD and you should not have it checked ever, and if any software you use says "turn on SMBv1 to make this work" you should shitcan that software.

The second is fine, if windows turned off file sharing in that area you probably got reset from a private network to a public one for some reason.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Windows file sharing on my network literally only works if the first is on lol. I wish I knew why

Edit: I should add that this only occurred when the PC was updated to 2004. Prior to the upgrade, I didn't have to to any fiddling with any settings. Every PC is set to private network and file sharing is "on" on every PC

Additional edit: looking online, I guess a ton of people are having this issue with 2004 so I guess I'm not alone :argh:

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 23, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Biannual "thank you" to the beta testers out there on 2004.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Additional edit: looking online, I guess a ton of people are having this issue with 2004 so I guess I'm not alone :argh:
jesus christ microsoft :tif:

Windows file sharing on my network literally only works if the first is on lol. I wish I knew why

Well remember to try turning it off after monthly patches to see if it's fixed, because you really don't want to leave that on long term.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Are you using guest file shares? That has not worked reliably in my experience since 9x. Make sure both ends have the same user set up with the same password.

Having SMB1 enabled opens up a number of security holes you can drive a truck through, so you should really want to fix this properly.

Turn SMBv1 off on both the client and the server you're testing from, then if it really still doesn't work open up Event Viewer and take a look at the following paths:

Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBClient
Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBServer

Those logs should give you a good hint as to the actual problem.

quote:

I'm finding a lot of people saying the exact opposite, that 2004 broke SMBv1 for them and it's of course critical because of some Windows 2000 server they should have retired a decade ago is now inaccessible. Haven't actually seen anyone complaining of needing to enable it for shares between modern systems to operate.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If there's anything you can do to avoid enabling SMBv1, like setting up a username/password for a share, you should do it.

It's that bad.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

E: totally misread the issue being discussed

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 23, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I'm on a Dell XPS on 1903. Got an update for 2004, updated it and it cause the system to absolutely poo poo the bed when waking from sleep. Whole system just becomes unresponsive and needs a hard shutdown.
I've already rolled back to 1903 but is it worth it upgrading to 1909 or should I just want until 2004 is fixed (or superseded)? If I should go to 1909, how do I do that?

This was from a while ago but it turns out it was MalwareBytes' fault with 2004. Uninstalling MWB using their uninstall tool, upgrading to 2004 and re-installing MWB from scratch fixed it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sometimes I'm glad I have almost no ambition regarding my home technology setup. :unsmith:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

wolrah posted:

Are you using guest file shares? That has not worked reliably in my experience since 9x. Make sure both ends have the same user set up with the same password.

Having SMB1 enabled opens up a number of security holes you can drive a truck through, so you should really want to fix this properly.

Turn SMBv1 off on both the client and the server you're testing from, then if it really still doesn't work open up Event Viewer and take a look at the following paths:

Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBClient
Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBServer

Those logs should give you a good hint as to the actual problem.

I'm finding a lot of people saying the exact opposite, that 2004 broke SMBv1 for them and it's of course critical because of some Windows 2000 server they should have retired a decade ago is now inaccessible. Haven't actually seen anyone complaining of needing to enable it for shares between modern systems to operate.

No it doesn't even have anything to do with sharing or not as far as I can see. If I turn SMBv1 off on ANY computer I use, no network PCs show up at all and all mapped network drives disappear. If I turn on SMBv1, then every single PC shows up. I can go through my gaming PC, laptop, second laptop and the PC I use for Plex and it's repeatable across every single computer. It's simply "SMBv1 on, all networked computers are visible, smbv1 off, all network drives disappear"- this includes the external hard drive I have connected to my router and everything. It's extremely odd lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

This was from a while ago but it turns out it was MalwareBytes' fault with 2004. Uninstalling MWB using their uninstall tool, upgrading to 2004 and re-installing MWB from scratch fixed it.

Why use MWB at all. That type of snake-oil software is always going to cause issues.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
MWB is a poo poo show now. Its been causing a lot of problems and really slows stuff down. Typical

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I thought people just used malwarebytes as a cleanup tool once you've been owned

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a lifetime license so why not

You can always just turn off real time scanning and leave scheduled scans on.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I have a lifetime license so why not

FCKGW posted:

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I thought people just used malwarebytes as a cleanup tool once you've been owned

If you’ve been owned it’s time to flatten everything and reinstall from scratch.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Malwarebytes somehow prevented by qbittorrent from working correctly my so now it is my sworn enemy

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I started using the microsoft anti virus when it got released in like 2009 and never looked back.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Adding to my mystery of the SMB addled windows network, I have discovered that turning SMB v1 off does not actually prevent me from connecting to the drives if I use the direct network path, however the network drives disappear, and if I map them, they no longer work. I think it does relate to what the poster said about guest accounts because with SMB off it only appears to allow 1 person access at a time. A very strange problem, but at least I'm able to move stuff to my PC without needing smb v1 🤷🏻‍♂️

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The fix is turning on some services:

quote:

Explorer Network Browsing
The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).

When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

There might be a couple other services I cant remember that need enabled.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I need to reinstall Windows 10, anyone have any luck with the Enterprise keys you can get from various places? I'd rather not have Pro.

I do have Enterprise installed ( legit ) but I am not sure it has loaded the key into my bios.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
It'll automatically be validated based on its hardware hash when it phones home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It'll automatically be validated based on its hardware hash when it phones home.

That's good to know. Thanks.