Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

readingatwork posted:

The third was basically that episode of Steven Universe where Steven is telling Garnet the story of what she did that day.

Trick Moon is cute, but I'm not sure how far they can go when all the conflicts on both the protagonist and antagonist sides revolve around their older brother being stuck-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

They've announced four more series of Dragon Prince, so it'll be up to 7.
I liked the show but series 3 was kinda rushed - it felt a bit like Babylon 5's fourth season where they're desperately cramming because they're certain they're going to be cancelled.

7 is what the creators have said was the original plan so this should be good news.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Pakled posted:

Speaking of HBO Max, Infinity Train book 3 trailer's dropped:

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1286756791003410433

August 13th.

I was expecting the Apex to play a major role in Season 3 if we were to get one, but not like that. This should be interesting.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DaftPina/status/1286746740494827522

holy poo poo :lol:

Taear posted:

They've announced four more series of Dragon Prince, so it'll be up to 7.
I liked the show but series 3 was kinda rushed - it felt a bit like Babylon 5's fourth season where they're desperately cramming because they're certain they're going to be cancelled.

wait...7? you sure that's not a typo? i thought they finished things off with season 3? i mean, yes, i wouldn't doubt at all that it was rushed as hell (and it came off that way), but either way, it looked like they were done (minus the thing with varys i guess). and an extra FOUR seasons on top of that? all of this is just so....weird and out of left field.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have never been able to get into anything Butch Hartman has made and I don't think I ever will now that I've seen him reveal himself to be an absolute hack

I swear Craig Bartlett is the only Nickelodeon creator I've known of who hasn't turned into a mess

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/DaftPina/status/1286746740494827522

holy poo poo :lol:

wait...7? you sure that's not a typo? i thought they finished things off with season 3? i mean, yes, i wouldn't doubt at all that it was rushed as hell (and it came off that way), but either way, it looked like they were done (minus the thing with varys i guess). and an extra FOUR seasons on top of that? all of this is just so....weird and out of left field.

:laffo:

And yeah, they stated that they wanted to strike a balance between wrapping things up in case they didn’t get renewed, and leaving future hooks in case they did.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Is it just me or did he also gently caress up her left hand on her hip?
Like the pinky/thumb anatomy is backwards.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

And yeah, they stated that they wanted to strike a balance between wrapping things up in case they didn’t get renewed, and leaving future hooks in case they did.

i'm curious to know what happened in that meeting to get them to change their mind? was season 3 an unexpected ratings monster or something?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Zeether posted:

I have never been able to get into anything Butch Hartman has made and I don't think I ever will now that I've seen him reveal himself to be an absolute hack

I really liked Danny Phantom but I have always said it would've been like ten times better if it weren't animated in Hartman's style

I mean, I also liked Fairly Oddparents when I was younger but I feel like if I revisited it now it's one of those things that wouldn't age well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm curious to know what happened in that meeting to get them to change their mind? was season 3 an unexpected ratings monster or something?

Netflix looks for engagement. People making fanfiction, art, whatever.
Dragon Prince has it in spades.

Those people will always watch, always stay subscribed. Even if it's only representing say 2 million people worldwide that's still enough.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zeether posted:

I swear Craig Bartlett is the only Nickelodeon creator I've known of who hasn't turned into a mess

Stephen Hillenburg isn't a mess unless you count decomposition.

I think for the most part I really don't know many Nickelodeon creators. I think that's in part because of how Nick didn't tend to cultivate its creators like Cartoon Network did. Probably in a large part because at the time that Cartoon Network had its breakthrough with Adventure Time, Nickelodeon was stepping back from animation aside from Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents shambling on like zombies long after everyone important left production.

Butch Hartman was unique in that he had 3 separate shows on Nick somehow, and while Fairly Oddparents was fun and Danny Phantom was surprisingly good, Tuff Puppy was a real clunker. It wouldn't surprise me that his biggest skill was schmoozing with executives. Artistically, his style was pretty flat and never went through any evolution.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Just watched the new Adventure Time thing, BMO remains the best.

"He died as he lived...sucking big time."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Hartman had one or two others, though they might have just been in similar styles.

TUFF Puppy is mostly known for the female feline protagonist being a relatively rare female primary subject of cartoon slapstick. And also an object of furry lust, but that probably shouldn't be a surprise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Stephen Hillenburg isn't a mess unless you count decomposition.

I think for the most part I really don't know many Nickelodeon creators. I think that's in part because of how Nick didn't tend to cultivate its creators like Cartoon Network did. Probably in a large part because at the time that Cartoon Network had its breakthrough with Adventure Time, Nickelodeon was stepping back from animation aside from Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents shambling on like zombies long after everyone important left production.

Butch Hartman was unique in that he had 3 separate shows on Nick somehow, and while Fairly Oddparents was fun and Danny Phantom was surprisingly good, Tuff Puppy was a real clunker. It wouldn't surprise me that his biggest skill was schmoozing with executives. Artistically, his style was pretty flat and never went through any evolution.

4 actually, though his last series for Nickelodeon didn't look at all like his normal style

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zeether posted:

It's easy to enjoy Danny Phantom as the show that its co-creators made good against Butch's judgment. Show gets super bad when Steve Marmel and Marty Isenberg are removed.

TwoPair posted:

I really liked Danny Phantom but I have always said it would've been like ten times better if it weren't animated in Hartman's style

I always forget if it's actually true or not, but didn't they switch to a far pricier animation studio for season 2 and the results were negligible because of the stiff art style?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Wasn't Butch the one who retconned the ghosts in Danny Phantom into not-ghosts because of his religion?

Someone should try to commission him a character from Devilman or Inuyasha, and see how he reacts (and if he traces the art again)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not sure if there was a retcon, but there is some implication the 'ghosts' aren't all former humans, some are ectoplasmic beings for whom that's their natural state. Again though, might just be the later season ones, earlier ones like Desiree as far as I know weren't retconned, and some like Ember are mainly implied as much as a 00s Nick cartoon can talk about death. (And it is mentioned that Desiree died of old age)

I like to think that Skulker is actually the ghost of a Predator, and that's just what Predator ghosts are like.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cockmaster posted:

I was expecting the Apex to play a major role in Season 3 if we were to get one, but not like that. This should be interesting.

Definitely excited for the new season, the show rocks.

Also, the Comic-Con panel is pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDDTsLhkLY

(I'm honestly surprised the show doesn't get talked about more than it does, there's enough going on that it could easily have its own thread).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

It's easy to enjoy Danny Phantom as the show that its co-creators made good against Butch's judgment. Show gets super bad when Steve Marmel and Marty Isenberg are removed.
Thing is I can't get behind the art style at all, I saw bits of one episode and was like "okay that's a thing" and now Hartman is like, basically taking all the credit for it and doing dumb poo poo like that TEN YEARS LATER art. I probably saw one that was from when Marmel and Isenberg left though

Also I forgot about Hillenburg, wasn't super into Spongebob but he seemed like a cool dude

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Danny Phantom had two good seasons, one okay season, and an absolutely dire finale and I don't think it's a coincidence that the best stuff was the stuff Butch Hartman didn't write.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
He can barely draw his own characters.

https://twitter.com/realhartman/status/1285439195817754624

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I finally got around to checking out Big Hero 6 and the series that followed it and holy smokes what a riot! I feel like the series has one of the better rogues galleries I've seen in a while, and I can't make up my mind as to which villain is my favorite at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When I look through the list of former Nickelodeon shows and checking out their creators, it really seems like very few of them went on to much else after their show, which makes sense I guess for the 90s shows, but not so much for the recent ones. And then the ones that do make hits have in their work history a bunch of non-nickelodeon shows. There's no equivalent of Dexter's Lab or Flapjack; no shows that incubated a bunch of talent to make the next big hits.

And then looking at the shows themselves, most of the lineup is dominated by derivative or licensed works, or even the shambling corpses of shows that should've ended long ago, especially in more recent years. There's not really room for creators to show their own stuff. Rise of the TMNT seems like such a freak accident, and I can really see it being on paper the same kind of "redesign with attitude" that Loonatics was, except by some coincidence they found a team of people who made the redesign really work.

Of course, I say all this while ignoring Nickelodeon's shows targeted at little children, which may or may not have a much wider variety and success, I don't know.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Hartman had one or two others, though they might have just been in similar styles.

TUFF Puppy is mostly known for the female feline protagonist being a relatively rare female primary subject of cartoon slapstick. And also an object of furry lust, but that probably shouldn't be a surprise.

Tuff Puppy was a parody of 1960s spy shows in 2010, which kinda doomed it from the start.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I wonder why he's even doing that, didn't he have that christian streaming site and a CN project?

...and googling that leads me to a video of his own youtube channel from january this year titled "Why I left Disney, Cartoon Network and Marvel". gently caress me, I got morbid curiosity, I need to know if he put out a rant to say how it's big corporations' faults that he couldn't get a project going with anyone outside of Nick.'
e: yup, got baited into watching his 80s to early 00s reel where he bounced from place to place because that's how animation is.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 26, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TMNT is one of those things very much like Transformers where the sheer weight of the franchise lends itself to more or less anything you want to do with it, because it's going to get a budget and exposure at least to start with.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Tuff Puppy was a parody of 1960s spy shows in 2010, which kinda doomed it from the start.

Ehh, I feel nearly any concept can work if you do it well enough, problem was it didn't really stand out otherwise. Even Danny Phantom was more or less Spider-man with Ghostbusters for flavour. (and less of the fun flavour than even Panty and Stocking)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

I wonder why he's even doing that, didn't he have that christian streaming site
Oaxis may as well be vaporware at this point, I don't think he's said anything about it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I know that Butch made a Christian cartoon recently... and that it costs $130

https://twitter.com/Saberspark/status/1281659403436003334

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Definitely excited for the new season, the show rocks.

Also, the Comic-Con panel is pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDDTsLhkLY

(I'm honestly surprised the show doesn't get talked about more than it does, there's enough going on that it could easily have its own thread).

I could make one if more people were down. It really is a fantastic show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I look through the list of former Nickelodeon shows and checking out their creators, it really seems like very few of them went on to much else after their show, which makes sense I guess for the 90s shows, but not so much for the recent ones. And then the ones that do make hits have in their work history a bunch of non-nickelodeon shows. There's no equivalent of Dexter's Lab or Flapjack; no shows that incubated a bunch of talent to make the next big hits.

And then looking at the shows themselves, most of the lineup is dominated by derivative or licensed works, or even the shambling corpses of shows that should've ended long ago, especially in more recent years. There's not really room for creators to show their own stuff. Rise of the TMNT seems like such a freak accident, and I can really see it being on paper the same kind of "redesign with attitude" that Loonatics was, except by some coincidence they found a team of people who made the redesign really work.

Of course, I say all this while ignoring Nickelodeon's shows targeted at little children, which may or may not have a much wider variety and success, I don't know.

Not quite true, a ton of people got their big break working on Rocko's Modern Life for example

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

So TTS won the Best Original Song Emmy for Waiting in the Wings.

This is notable because it's Alan Menken's first* Emmy win, securing him the EGOT.

It also won best writing for an animated show and tied for best opening with The Casagrandes.

*He was awarded an Emmy in 1990 but it wasn't a real Emmy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

kind of similar with CN. people like david feiss (cow and chicken) and van partible (johnny bravo) had their own big, highly rated shows, but then just...disappeared off the face of the earth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

kind of similar with CN. people like david feiss (cow and chicken) and van partible (johnny bravo) had their own big, highly rated shows, but then just...disappeared off the face of the earth.

With both of them, they still stuck around in the industry but they never really got to helm another big show in the US.

Feiss's credits post Cow and Chicken are either writing or storyboard credits. He was head of story for Open Season and he did get to helm a localized adaptation of a Korean kids show called YooHoo & Friends for CN Latin America and Australia and also on Boomerang. Flavor Flav apparently voiced a narrator-type character for the series

Van Partible (who is Filipino which is a wild thing to learn for someone who is also Filipino) produced some minor stuff for other companies after Johnny Bravo ended and somehow ended up as an Executive Producer for CN Asia's original programming. He recently directed something called Pete the Cat for Amazon and also teaches workshops on animation at Loyola

It's hard to tell why they never got a chance to helm another show. Whether it was because they couldn't get another pilot off of the ground, or because they wanted a less hectic job, or some other reason. Both of them at least seemed to have careers in show business still according to IMDB

John Dilworth, the creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog is much sparser in terms of credits post series and it's weird. He's also made some pilots and did some assistant storyboarding for My Lfie as a Teenage Robot, but beyond that it's largely short films it seems. Here's his studio's website for the curious http://www.stretchfilms.com/. Not a lot, but his twitter on the other hand...oof. (https://twitter.com/DillyDilworth)

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Had a realisation about Zuko Alone's ending; the whole plot is Zuko beats a deadbeat band of soldiers extorting an Earth Kingdom town under the pretense of protecting them. But the ending, where Zuko proclaims himself as the prince of the Fire Nation, proves the villagers' worst fears- a lone Fire Nation noble successfully infiltrated their village and defeated its defenders with little effort, without even using his firebending. I get the feeling Zuko realises basically that right after his demonstration- as far as the villagers are concerned, he's the enemy, and he's just rubbing it in their faces.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Something that struck me on a recent rewatch is that Zuko doesn't even need to break out the firebending when he does. Hammer guy is certainly a cut above the rest of the thugs, but Zuko is still mostly holding his own with just the swords. It wasn't a do or die situation, he just got tired of holding back.

Also I'd never noticed before that the family from Serpent's Pass has a cameo in the episode.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I caught up on Owl House yesterday. It's still p good, it feels like the plot has stopped spinning its wheels a bit now.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I caught up on Owl House yesterday. It's still p good, it feels like the plot has stopped spinning its wheels a bit now.

I really liked all the new characters that popped up, but the VAs weren't credited as anything other than "additional voices" so I don't know how much time we'll be spending with them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man when is season 2 of HILDA coming out

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Tig n Seek update: This show really gets both cats and their owners. The episode I'm on just had a cold open with Tig singing to his cat about/while petting her and I feel doxxed.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I watched Kipo season 1 and found it underwhelming. Kipo's character was annoying, some of the animation felt stilted and off-putting, and a lot of the jokes and running gags ("Yumyan owns you all!") fell flat. But the friendly rats and raccoons were kinda neat (Betsy Sodaro is always great), the Newton Wolves were fun, and the ep 9 reveal was probably the best part even if it didn't quite fit the tone of the rest of the show, and from then on during each "heartfelt" scene that had Wolf nearby all I could focus in on was that she's wearing the decapitated head of her mom as a hat.

Season 2 got downgraded to a "watch while high" show. And even in that state I couldn't help but notice that it was really dumb. Like, really dumb. Apparently Kipo is based off a webcomic and that 100% makes sense. It certainly feels like if you took a 2000's webcomic writer raised on anime and gave them a budget. Over-reliance on puns and running gags, tragic backstories, secret deus ex powers. Everything regarding the Mega Jaguar, the anti-mute squad and Kipo's parents secret fun-time experiments pioneering inter-species genetic engineering on their own unborn child was just... dumb.

And then S2E10 hit and it made it all worth it. It is a precious gem of stupidity. It's The Room of cartoons. A car filled with cliches crashing into a fireworks factory made of half-baked ideas.

(Spoiled but you should still hover over it, especially if you haven't watched Kipo and/or have no intention of doing so. Just try and make sense of it.)

The whole episode had me laughing harder than I had in a long while and I wish that joy on everyone. I have no idea if it's better with or without the context of the rest of the series, or if it's even worth that investment, but it was the best outcome I could have hoped for. God bless this trash.

---

That said, anyone who liked Kipo should check out HILDA on Netflix. It has the same wondrous creature/culture of the week theme and also features an energetic, inquisitive, pacifist, fish-out-of-water main character. The animation is gorgeous and charming as gently caress.

Also, I never got around to watching any of the Kung Fu Panda series so I spent the weekend doing that and the DTV Secrets of the Scroll stood out as surprisingly great. Superb animation plus unfairly adorable character designs. Master Shifu is a huge dick. It's well worth the 20min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I didn't know they put all 3 seasons of Wakfu on Netflix so I guess I'm watching that at some point

They sent me the Blu-ray from the kickstarter a while back even though I never backed for it