Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I wonder what that means for Marcelo affiliate gyms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Can Marcelo not get some angel or group to float the gym? Surely there's some billionaire types floating around nyc who'd be down.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I wonder what that means for Marcelo affiliate gyms...

Yeah I train at one. Though our gym is financially sound so I don't know what if any aspect it would have.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My buddy’s take on it is “I don't think it's about that they can't stay open. It's that how much money are they going to risk to keep the space when they might need that money tomorrow for living etc”

Mind you I haven’t seen an official announcement. My instructor is friends with some guys who train at Marcelos and he said that they told him that there was a video call open to the whole school where broke the news.

Regardless, I do know for sure of at least three smaller gyms in Brooklyn that are confirmed closing, and there isn’t really an opening date in sight right now for places to try to make it until.

NYC went to phase 4 reopening which expressly did not include gyms, and there’s no indicator of when we might get a phase 5 and what that would even allow. But we don’t even have indoor dining so I can’t imagine pajama hugging will be OK for a long while at least.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I imagine Marcelo could move anywhere in the world, buy a building/buy land and build on it, and build a successful gym where he doesn’t have to pay enormous amounts of rent. Even if he doesn’t have enough money it would be a safe bet for investors.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I imagine Marcelo could move anywhere in the world, buy a building/buy land and build on it, and build a successful gym where he doesn’t have to pay enormous amounts of rent. Even if he doesn’t have enough money it would be a safe bet for investors.

This of course hinges on the ability for people to be able to join and enter that gym in numbers

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

canada, australia, new zealand, etc

edit: Maybe not Canada. But I’m back to normal training in a covid-less place, and so are others in this thread

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 21, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Definitely not Canada. People have been idiots and stuff is getting worse again. 13 days with no cases doesn't mean that it's over. Say hello to 19 new cases in 2 days and community spread.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

canada, australia, new zealand, etc

edit: Maybe not Canada. But I’m back to normal training in a covid-less place, and so are others in this thread

Two gyms in Ottawa were training a couple weeks ago and mine opened today. No rolling, one partner per class, 20-25 people at a time. Need to wear masks until you start training. I'm gonna wait a bit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Marcelo should move to Korea. And teach only me. Put the word out boys. Thanks and god bless.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
So I know the owner of the building through my father and it's down to rent and he's trying to work current and future rent with them. He said that Josh,Marcelo's partner who I'm assuming is waitzkin, told the him that they're undecided about closing.

The owner said that we should email Marcelo our support.

gently caress 2020.

I joined the gym last year :smith:

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 22, 2020

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Maybe Marcelo can reopen somewhere with a locker room that isn't a shoebox

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Maybe Marcelo can reopen somewhere with a locker room that isn't a shoebox

Well the recent renovations that finished in January had a proper locker room and shower area. It's really nice and big and there was another mat area that was created.

The ladies room was in the process of being expanded and then covid happened.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently the guy Yuns once said we should check out (Robert Degle) is dropping a leglock instructional and also moving from NYC to Singapore presumably to teach jiu jitsu. Thats kinda cool.

https://instagram.com/robertdeglebjj?igshid=rlg53ik0v9rs

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 22, 2020

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Apparently the guy Yuns once said we should check out (Robert Degle) is dropping a leglock instructional and also moving from NYC to Singapore presumably to teach jiu jitsu. Thats kinda cool.

https://instagram.com/robertdeglebjj?igshid=rlg53ik0v9rs

Thanks for posting. I Bought it. Actually not a bad deal for a leglock defense DVD.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

First confirmed case from my gym — we reopened 3 days ago.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I am a big Robert Degle fan.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Someone from my Judo Club rolled his eyes at me when I told him I was waiting for a vaccine. I know to avoid that juice monkey in the future.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

First confirmed case from my gym — we reopened 3 days ago.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet here, people been training with barely any mat space since shut down. Or if it has no one has said anything.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Someone from my Judo Club rolled his eyes at me when I told him I was waiting for a vaccine. I know to avoid that juice monkey in the future.

I understand not wanting to rejoin the gym but to hold someone’s agitation against them during a particularly unsettling time seems a little wrong-headed and petty

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 24, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You realize a vaccine could take years or never happen, right?

If you don't want to train then don't, its obviously your call. But to think a person is somehow dirty because of this seems a bit much.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I am a big Robert Degle fan.

Dude, this leglock defense video is good. Some very interesting concepts he goes over.

edit: Also you two look alike (same beard).

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 24, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What is a juice monkey? A person using steroids?

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

spacetoaster posted:

What is a juice monkey? A person using steroids?

It's that pokemon evolution before Palhares.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Last week I felt poo poo and didn't think I knew anything any more, this week I feel better and I'm having more fun. Such is the ups and downs of jiu jitsu. I'm sure I'll be back on the bottom of the wave again soon enough.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I'm pretty close to buying some zebra mats and challenging friends to roof rumbles.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good video on how to perform a Darce correctly?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Jeff Glovers got two volumes on Darces on Budo Videos relatively cheap. I would start there :)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Gross — make sure you pirate or YouTube them

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

spb posted:

The Danaher front headlock vid had a big section on Darces that was pretty good, it included a lot around maintaining control going from a darceable grip into the darce which I was missing. I used to like this way of finishing back when doing bjj was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZtD5VvaeE

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Thanks. I've been watching Neil Melanson's dvd on the cradle where one of his moves is to perform a darce from the near side cradle and I realized I suck at Darces.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Darces are one of those things where my arms are so short that if I lock one up the dude is never coming back. But my arms are so short that I almost never lock one up. In fact when I think about it I don’t think I’ve ever hit one during a live roll.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've got long lanky arms built for darcing but somehow have made it through my entire grappling career without receiving any actual instruction on it, so all I've got is a vague idea (and zero confidence) based on YouTube videos and the occasional white belt who accidentally strangles themselves with one. Ditto for guillotines.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Darces are great, one of my best subs. The key is achieving the intermediary position where your hands are clasped and your forearm is against the back of uke's head/neck. From here you have excellent control, and can dump him down from turtle. You can also get it from half guard and keep the grip as you pass.

To get the actual finish take your time and gradually push your bottom arm deeper. When your hand is well clear of uke's head, grip your own bicep. If this grip is hard to achieve or feels awkward, you probably need to stick your bottom arm deeper.

There's all manner of finishing mechanics, but once you get this control sequence down the finish will be pretty easy.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Count Roland posted:

Darces are great, one of my best subs. The key is achieving the intermediary position where your hands are clasped and your forearm is against the back of uke's head/neck. From here you have excellent control, and can dump him down from turtle. You can also get it from half guard and keep the grip as you pass.

I DO use this as my 100% guaranteed-to-work-on-anyone turtle turnover. For some reason people don't fight that bottom hand from turtle as much as most other hand insertions and its easy to push it through far enough to get that Peruvian necktie grip. Judo players try to grumble that its a neck crank but I point out that its easy to relieve the neck pressure by rolling over (and getting darced by a guy who can't do it any other way).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lachlan Giles's "high percentage submissions" is the best D'arce instructional I've seen.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Darce is one of my favorite chokes to get. I feel like it's B-grade though and most of the time you can go for it, you also have a good shot for the back/rnc and should focus that line instead or get the arm out guillotine, go for a stronger choke that isn't one arm in one out.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I really liked that detail from a garry tonon video (since removed) where you swing your head left and right as a way to guide your arm. Swing it away from their upper body to wriggle your arm deeper, then swing your head above their head to get the right stranglin’ angle.

I have a problem with darces where I feel like the mechanics are perfect: blood choke with no pain. Then I’ll try it on somebody bigger or smaller and it’s got a some crank in it again. I don’t care if it hurts during hard rolling but I’d like to be able to get it mechanically perfect when I’m rolling with lower belts. There’s some kind of adjustment for neck size that I’m missing.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I think we gave the darce some attention last year. I still need to work on that overarm gable/S-grip from the top and perhaps threaten the 100% with neck pressure using my top elbow. I just need to practice that transition where my choking arm slides down my other forearm and locks onto the bicep.

The darce also feels way different from common arm and leg triangle strangles. There's seemingly a lot more vertebrae squeeze to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i like to smash pass, what are good high percentage simple white belt fundamental submissions i can try?

My general flow is if from standing single leg entry

or

from knees

let them play butterfly or dick around with their legs and try to get both knees on one side of my body, sprawl to flatten and try to capture an arm without getting kimured (if i get kimura gripped, slide to north south since no block on hip), figure 4 legs or bodylock and climb to side control/mount

now what?

I can occasionally hit a marcellotine from north south, but i'm looking for something i can hit quick and easy from my smash pass to side control or just good submissions from side control. I usually just play with the far arm and go for armbar, kimura, americana trifecta.

I feel like i'm so much worse from knees than i am standing because I can like chain wrestle into a pretty solid side control position, i'm just terrible at finishing anything.