Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The 'za deliveries are very much worth doing and you should do all of them as soon as they pop up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else getting CTD on PC with a access violation? have all the latest drivers and it just keeps crashing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gato posted:

Question: does doing these pizza deliveries get me anything decent? Because I really can't be arsed to walk all the way from Timefall Farm to that guy's shelter.

Yes. That one isn’t as bad if you have the roads built down to the distribution center and you clear out the camp north of the farm immediately before you start the mission.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Is there some way to put the pizza horizontally on Sam's back? I usually stuff it in a truck anyway, but I'm wondering if it's possible to arrange the packages manually.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

grate deceiver posted:

Is there some way to put the pizza horizontally on Sam's back? I usually stuff it in a truck anyway, but I'm wondering if it's possible to arrange the packages manually.

I would load two boxes of (I think) 160 resin, then load the pizza on my back on the top of said resin. That should let it sit horizontally, and bonus even if you lean forward on a bike that won't ruin it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i didnt do one of the pizza things because the story sucked me in and then it was over but then the dude gave me a second chance to do it!
it still nags at me but I'm wary of getting back in.

like someone said waaaaaay upthread (another type of strand lol) 'this is one of the best games ive ever played and ill never play it again' or something.

but for me i dunno if thats true. theres a dude needs freshish pizza for his guest and it still bugs me

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I read that you should focus on story missions and basically ignore side stuff until the game starts to open up. I'm at the point in episode 3 where I can fabricate bikes, steal MULE trucks, use exoskeletons, and fast travel with the magic umbrella. I'm at the mission to get the weather station on the network. Is this a good point to start loving around with side deliveries, upgrading structures, etc. or should I keep focusing on the story deliveries for now?

Should I be picky about which roads I pave or just go hog wild? I don't have a good sense of how long I'll be in this central region so I don't know if it's worth the effort to develop it much. The game moved past the eastern region pretty quickly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The central region is where you'll be spending almost all of your time.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Bold Robot posted:

I read that you should focus on story missions and basically ignore side stuff until the game starts to open up. I'm at the point in episode 3 where I can fabricate bikes, steal MULE trucks, use exoskeletons, and fast travel with the magic umbrella. I'm at the mission to get the weather station on the network. Is this a good point to start loving around with side deliveries, upgrading structures, etc. or should I keep focusing on the story deliveries for now?

Should I be picky about which roads I pave or just go hog wild? I don't have a good sense of how long I'll be in this central region so I don't know if it's worth the effort to develop it much. The game moved past the eastern region pretty quickly.

It's a good place to explore the side missions a bit, but ep.5 opens even more useful stuff. I think I might have spent about 10 hrs in ep.3 just doing random deliveries and paving. Generally once you get 3 stars with someone you'll get a useful piece of equipment, so I try to do that with everyone available before moving to the next main mission.

For roads, you'll probably want to pave the entire stretch from Lake Knot to South Distro Center, and then to South Knot. Pretty much whenever a main mission takes you to a new location, it's a good idea to pave up to that point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bold Robot posted:

You're in a good place to stop and develop what you have. The only thing you might want to progress through the story for is ziplines but until you get down towards the big waterfall area they're not really required, though they would help with the Elder.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My wife got curious about the game this morning (I suspect she also has a celebrity crush on Norman Reedus), and it's messing with her head.

I walked in to see what she was up to, and she was covering her mouth, eyes wide, during the first BT encounter with Sam and Fragile.

Just now:

"Bridge babies??? WTH?"

Loving the game myself, great recommendation!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sleekly posted:

i didnt do one of the pizza things because the story sucked me in and then it was over but then the dude gave me a second chance to do it!
it still nags at me but I'm wary of getting back in.

like someone said waaaaaay upthread (another type of strand lol) 'this is one of the best games ive ever played and ill never play it again' or something.

but for me i dunno if thats true. theres a dude needs freshish pizza for his guest and it still bugs me

Pizza missions are worth it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can ride a bike to the elder fairly easily. From the SE I think it is, there's a ridable hump over one of the ridges and then a straight shot up to the shelter. Should be loaded up with signs for you to find it. Think there also a rampy bit on the northeast but maybe mixing it up. But you got options, had him maxed ages before zip lines.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I finished the story last night, I don't think I've ever experienced such a stretch of cut scenes in a game before.

I really loved the ending, but it's left me wondering a lot about what's next. The end game kinda sets the arbitrary and completely ignorable timeframe which feels a little unsatisfying since I know it's never-ending yet know how it ends. I just wanna know what life is like for Sam. Is he retired? How off-grid could he really be considering the dependence on porters for stuff? It feels bittersweet delivering poo poo and building poo poo now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cmpterjones posted:

I finished the story last night, I don't think I've ever experienced such a stretch of cut scenes in a game before.

I really loved the ending, but it's left me wondering a lot about what's next. The end game kinda sets the arbitrary and completely ignorable timeframe which feels a little unsatisfying since I know it's never-ending yet know how it ends. I just wanna know what life is like for Sam. Is he retired? How off-grid could he really be considering the dependence on porters for stuff? It feels bittersweet delivering poo poo and building poo poo now.

On the bright side, video game trends have decreed that in the next game you will play as young Lou returning to the porter life with her dad Old Man Reedus and she will have a grappling hook and bow and possibly a cyber horse. I jest, but I also do not jest because this would be really cool.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 27, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished the game last night, I think? It's saying to pass time until the inauguration but I played for a few hours after the credits and it still hasn't happened. Managed to play the whole game without ever running into the Musician, Veteran Porter, First Prepper, or Novelist's Son since it never directly forces you into any of their respective zones so there are still a few people to five star.

Absolutely amazing game that never could have existed without Kojima having basically unlimited resources at his disposal and no corporate overlord like Konami telling him no. 9.5/10, still not sure if I would actually recommend it to anyone and I'll probably never play it again once I mop up the last few achievements.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 27, 2020

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CJacobs posted:

On the bright side, video game trends have decreed that in the next game you will play as young Lou returning to the porter life with her dad Old Man Reedus and she will have a grappling hook and bow and possibly a cyber horse. I jest, but I also do not jest because this would be really cool.

And if you want to change things up mechanically have her have a different level of DOOMS

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

CJacobs posted:

I very much think that would be cool. Never been a big Kojima fan but I have to say I'm excited to try whatever he makes next.

PunkBoy posted:

And if you want to change things up mechanically have her have a different level of DOOMS

Yes, I'd love to see what it's like being god-like in a way that's death-able.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I think? It's saying to pass time until the inauguration but I played for a few hours after the credits and it still hasn't happened.

The inauguration already happened with Die-Hardman's speech and ugly cry.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey Sam, Deadman here, I know it should go without saying, but don't ever hold a pizza sideways, this will ruin the pizza and make it inedible, take it from me Sam!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone explain to me exactly how MULE sensors and Counter-Pulse work? Is it possible to sneak past them without triggering them? I can't manage to make the counter-scan thing work (yes I have unlocked it.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone explain to me exactly how MULE sensors and Counter-Pulse work? Is it possible to sneak past them without triggering them? I can't manage to make the counter-scan thing work (yes I have unlocked it.)

They’ll always go off when you hit the perimeter. The most reliable way I found to counter the pulse was to wait about 3/4 of a second after I heard the pulse sound to send my own pulse and that worked most of the time. After you get good at fighting them or going fast it kind of doesn’t matter, they’ll go to where you were when the pulse hit and you can be long gone or run right for them to let the asskicking commence.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

It's just luck. The timing is extremely finicky (to the point where I'm starting to question whether reacting to it is even possible).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's a ping from a physical object. Depending how close you are to the sensor you might need to hit it right away or you might hit it too early and be on cool down when it actually reaches you.

If you're constantly pinging yourself to read the terrain there's a good chance you'll just accidentally nullify it. Otherwise like the others are saying it just leaves a last seen and you can run away or counter flank if you want to fight.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The counter is to the pulse that shoots back out, not the one that goes in. So after you're scanned, wait a second or so then do your scan. So long as your blue scan hits their yellow one, it cancels it.

It took me forever to figure that out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Midjack posted:

After you get good at fighting them or going fast it kind of doesn’t matter, they’ll go to where you were when the pulse hit and you can be long gone or run right for them to let the asskicking commence.

You can also start mostly ignoring BTs once you're fast enough. If you're using a speed exoskeleton and sprinting their attacks are too slow to catch up with you and you won't trigger the black puddle effect unless you run directly into one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

The counter is to the pulse that shoots back out, not the one that goes in. So after you're scanned, wait a second or so then do your scan. So long as your blue scan hits their yellow one, it cancels it.

It took me forever to figure that out.

And to be more specific, the first ping that goes out from the sensor is basically an alert. Then the MULEs who are alerted send out a ping because they have odradeks just like Sam. That's what you're trying to counter. So the timing is a combination of how fast the first ping reaches a MULE and then how long it takes for their ping (I always assumed it was from the closest MULE) to come back.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
That is the exact opposite of how I thought it worked and that's aggravating as piss. Sigh!

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Lol, if there's one thing Kojima is not bound to it's video game trends. I'm guessing the next game is Lou in space mining and casually carrying her dad's head around in a jar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

That is the exact opposite of how I thought it worked and that's aggravating as piss. Sigh!

Just beat the poo poo out of them or let them eat your dust.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The 'za deliveries are very much worth doing and you should do all of them as soon as they pop up

seconding this. the payoff is worth it at the end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MULEs care only about cargo so if you have only equipment and weapons on you then you don't matter to them. You normally do have stuff on you for delivery or for building so that maybe doesn't help all that much but it can help if you want to infiltrate the camp.

Also, you can eventually get a piece of tech that hides you completely from their pings and their eyes but you have to be stationary and only be carrying cargo on your body (no vehicles or carriers). So you can walk into their territory, turn it on, wait until the pings are done and then assuming they don't see you you can carry on as you were.

Oh, and this is probably even harder to time than the counter-ping but the ping only goes along the ground so you can jump over it. Easier with a double jump but still tricky.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 27, 2020

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The key to the counter ping is in facing the MULE that is trying to scan you. Once I learned this, I never had trouble again. Face the camera towards where their main building is and just spam the button a few times. Timing is not as important as I initially thought.

night slime
May 14, 2014

night slime posted:

Looks like the game is programmed to help out the mules if they get stuck. Cheaters... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7K8Q8xaTU

I went back and watched this and I remember it being genuinely terrifying as gently caress after pretty much getting used to the gameplay loop. The camera circling is me scared out of my mind.

My favorite attempted MULE abuse was trying to get ramming their truck to go in the tar near the Wind Farm and the AI smartened up as I got too close and they steered away suddenly. I wonder if anyone on PC will be able to find a (living) MULE interaction with the tar.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Scarecow posted:

Anyone else getting CTD on PC with a access violation? have all the latest drivers and it just keeps crashing

i am! only started happening after 1.01, or after i played the game a bunch and my save got all fat, not sure which cause i bought it on launch day. sometimes it lets me click back onto the game window behind the error pop up to save & quit, sometimes it doesn't. it also doesn't seem to be related to much, cause i can play for hours and be just fine, or catch a crash or two within an hour.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Getting similar crashes here too, latest drivers etc...

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It only just happened last night but zooming along a built up zipline network in a well-developed central region from top to bottom managed to grind my frame rate down to like 4fps right before it went into some long stuttering before calming back down; it's installed on a SATA SSD rather than NVME so idk if that makes a difference but it turns out being able to cover multiple kilometers in under a minute can bring the game to its knees.

The transition from having maybe a bike to having a truck that can carry a ton of poo poo felt ridiculous and like a whole new end-game of courier life opened up, and then suddenly boom fuckin ziplines.

Also the TPS Moment was the worst thing ever, the combat scaling in this game is stupid and terrible and that was the first time I've turned the game down from Very Hard to just get through something more quickly, and I hope that poo poo never comes up again.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just ran across the entire map holding champagne under my arm with fresh pizza in tow and delivered it without a scratch. Not even enough likes to get me to one star! :mad:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

I just ran across the entire map holding champagne under my arm with fresh pizza in tow and delivered it without a scratch. Not even enough likes to get me to one star! :mad:

Pizza man is super stingy with likes for all the praise he heaps on you in his emails. Makes no sense at all.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
He might not realize how important likes are lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I had to do annual mandatory sexual harassment training for work, and as I was clicking through it, I started to imagine it in a Death Stranding context, like some dude walks up to a coworker's cubicle and just starts mashing the like button for 8 seconds straight, before walking away. I wonder how the porters feel when I zip up to them on my bike with a mountain of cargo on my back, force them to leap out of the way, then walk up and give them a zillion likes before zooming off. That's gotta be weird, right?