Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never got into the original but I love Risk of Rain 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezrZ1thnPI

The KS doesn't go live for a little while but several ex-Konami people are planning a spiritual successor to Suikoden:

director & writer Yoshitaka Murayama (producer/director/writer of Suikoden 1/2/3)
lead artist Junko Kawano (producer/writer/artist on Suikoden 4 & Tactics plus artist on 1)
game system director Osamu Kubota (director/game designer/programmer on Suikoden Tactics & Tierkries plus programmer on 4)
art director & producer Junichi Murakami (director/sprite artist on Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow)

Motoi Sakuraba (Dark Souls, Tales of, Mario sports games, tons more) and Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms series) are among the composers.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

They what :stare:

Holy loving poo poo i want so badly to hope this will be good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This is old news but apparently no one has mentioned it since the whole thing was a big issue in October/November, but the kickstarter union won its unionization vote in February and was recognized by kickstarter.

Alright, good. I'll continue supporting projects I like in the future, although I don't know if there's anything interesting going on at the moment.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

vilkacis posted:

They what :stare:

Holy loving poo poo i want so badly to hope this will be good.

It looks like it has six characters in the main fights, so as long as they have duels, army battles, and a very customizable castle I'm all in.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

a spiritual successor to Suikoden:

Be still my heart

Arbite posted:

It looks like it has six characters in the main fights, so as long as they have duels, army battles, and a very customizable castle I'm all in.

Obviously it should be its own thing that doesn't just directly mirror Suikoden, but this stuff and a grand sweeping political story feel like necessary elements

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Has Motoi Sakuraba made some good tunes? Suikoden's music in 1-2 is a big reason for why I love those games so much, and I'd hate for this one to have a soundtrack that makes it sound like a Tales of... game, since those are just about the least memorable OSTs in the genre. Also sad to see no Suikoden V names on there, and worried that there are people who worked on 4 and Tierkries attached to it.

That being said, Suikoden VI is my most wanted game by a landslide, so if this comes anywhere close to scratching the same itch, I'll be over the moon. I normally just chip in at the "buy the game" tier, but if there's a reasonable higher tier available for this one, I think I have to throw money at it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, at this point it could be "made by a guy who once delivered pizza to the office where a Suikoden game was being worked on" and I'd throw money at it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Skjorte posted:

Has Motoi Sakuraba made some good tunes?

He's pretty much my favourite game composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FdfaRX8EM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6sOhQan9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIX_-AMuAhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBlhNOWlTY

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

He's pretty much my favourite game composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FdfaRX8EM

Nice. Baten Kaitos had a personality all its own, so if that's the kinda flavor he brings, I'm not going to worry about his contributions not being up to par or anything. Thanks!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Found an interview with responses from the dev, Rabbit & Bear Studios:

quote:

RPGamer: Are there any other titles that serve as particular inspirations for the game?

R&B: From a visual perspective, Octopath Traveler is definitely something that really excited us as a visual style.

quote:

RPGamer: Are there any particular interesting elements to the combat?

R&B: The basic party number is six members. However, we have a few interesting design choices around how to innovate on different battles. For example, we want to provide as many unique battle situations and animations as possible. Using dynamic camerawork and the right effects will give them more visual punch. Also, the backgrounds won’t just be some two-dimensional piece of wallpaper that occasionally changes. For example, if you are battling in the forest and have a Ninja character, they will have the special ability to hide behind trees. Also casting an earthquake magic can change the topography and battle conditions greatly.

quote:

RPGamer: How will the fortress and guild systems work?

R&B: The fortress town will be the location where your army lives and can be developed and expanded by the player. We will include many customization options and ornaments allowing you to really build out your own personalized fortress town. The guild will allow you to designate characters to do improvement work on the fortress town or even go on missions. For example, you may need a large amount of a certain resource in order to upgrade parts of your fortress town. By forming a party of characters with a lot of strength and carrying capacity, you can clear this mission faster. Or perhaps you need a rare ore so forming a party of scouts with that ability will yield you better results.

quote:

RPGamer: Are there any large-scale battles?

R&B: Since this is a story about war, we will definitely have large-scale battles. Some of the people on the team want to include armies laying siege to your fortress town…

Pulled out some quotes I found particularly interesting but there's more stuff if you click through the link. Kickstarter launches tomorrow.

The battle stuff sounds interesting, and forming parties to go on missions reminds me of FF Tactics. Curious to see what level of customization they're looking to provide for the castle town. Even if it's just cosmetic options watching my castle grow and expand was always a satisfying element in Suikoden.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm always a little skeptical when I see big names from the Japanese games industry rolled out in a kickstarter because I fear another Unsung Story, where it's just some random western studio who managed to get a few big Japanese names to agree to write/do a handful of things for them while spinning it as their next big game. This does not appear to be that, though, thankfully.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Interesting. That Baten Kaitos track sounds fantastic. The Dark Souls stuff did nothing for me though, so hopefully it's not all like that.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sakuraba is hit and miss. If he's paid well and given time,it's ok to good.if not he's utterly forgettable.

He's also incredibly derivative of himself and samples/reuses parts of his old work a lot, especially in tales

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
he sampled quad city djs in 2004 lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Dark Souls games have some very good music that is, by and large, not very interesting to listen to outside of the games. It's a great example of music that is perfectly suited to the games and the situations it's played in. It's definitely a part of those games' overall brilliant sound design, and it really amps up the tension in key situations, but devoid of its original context the music is just okay at best. Perhaps this can be better chalked up to whoever was in charge of the overall sound design rather than the composer himself, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 27, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Add another vote to the Baten Kaitos has a very good soundtrack bandwagon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba

Sakuraba's done tons of games and yeah, he can do good work but you never know when you're going to get gives-a-poo poo Sakuraba or autopilot Sakuraba.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Eiyuden Chronicles Kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes

Edit: if you give them $1,400 you can put your cat in the game

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 27, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rujasu posted:

Interesting. That Baten Kaitos track sounds fantastic. The Dark Souls stuff did nothing for me though, so hopefully it's not all like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 is right that they work best in context but Lord of Cinder is great on its own.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Eiyuden Chronicles Kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes

I couldn't decide what to go for, but I settled on the digital + physical tier. There were like 300 backers when I started reading the campaign, and by the time I chipped in, the thing was halfway funded. I don't expect them to finish the game up in 2 years, but I'm just happy to see a Suikoden-like getting money thrown its way.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Skjorte posted:

I couldn't decide what to go for, but I settled on the digital + physical tier. There were like 300 backers when I started reading the campaign, and by the time I chipped in, the thing was halfway funded. I don't expect them to finish the game up in 2 years, but I'm just happy to see a Suikoden-like getting money thrown its way.

It'll get funded in the next hour or two. Interestingly the fortress town is actually a "stretch goal" and won't be included unless they hit $750k, but there doesn't seem to be any worry about that given that they've gotten over $300k in under an hour.

They also mention in a few spots that the point of this campaign is to get a publisher on board, so it's pretty obvious the $500k goal isn't realistic. Seems like their actual goal is $1 million (the console release goal) and if this had ended up barely limping over the $500k mark it would have gotten canceled before the campaign ended.

Edit: for music chat, they included a track from Sakuraba and another track from someone named Mariam Abounnasr from Procyon Studios. First vid is Sakuraba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBWD_h0lqjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjEY3UMP7Y

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 27, 2020

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
motoi sakuraba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jZgFHTXmAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pL1hTjlDmI

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Gengen got ripped

Garr, Male, 32 Years Old
PROFESSION: Warrior in a clan of mercenaries
FAVORITE FOOD: Pancakes slathered with whipped cream

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Some of those rewards are kind of baffling. 750k loving yen! But uh

don't think there's much risk of failing to meet that goal.

I'm a bit iffy on the goal of Nintendo's next console that no one knows what it's even going to be yet though. Would have been really nice to be able to just get it on switch.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Some of those rewards are kind of baffling. 750k loving yen! But uh

Dollars, not yen.

EDIT: also, it broke Kickstarter's servers, lol

rujasu fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 27, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

No i'm pretty sure it was 750000 yen.

Went to check but :lol: kickstarter is down, probably a plot by Konami :tinfoil:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong but the main page didn't seem to say anything about duels. Hopefully that's not too far along in the stretches.

*edit*

Site's back. And no, doesn't look like it's mentioned yet.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 27, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That 'list of ways we won't gently caress up our kickstarter' is goddamn beautiful

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's funded! :toot:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hmm.

I could swear they had more expensive ones last time i looked.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Arbite posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the main page didn't seem to say anything about duels. Hopefully that's not too far along in the stretches.

*edit*

Site's back. And no, doesn't look like it's mentioned yet.

Yeah duels are conspicuously absent from what I can see. The only gameplay features highlighted in the campaign are: exploration, turn-based combat, recruitment, the fortress town ($750k stretch goal), and cats. No mention of duels or war battles. They talked about both in interviews so it's possible they're waiting to see what sort of response the campaign gets before they promise anything.

And the game hit the initial funding goal, though I don't think it's actually happening unless they hit a million (which they will without difficulty).

And this is in their FAQ section:

quote:

Why does this not have 108 characters?

What a strangely specific number. 100 characters is quite a lot, but who knows what mysteries could be hidden within the campaign’s stretch goals. Wouldn’t it be cool if the campaign even allowed for backer participation in determining additional characters?

vilkacis posted:

Hmm.

I could swear they had more expensive ones last time i looked.

It's there, but you have to scroll up a bit from where you're looking. 350,000 yen is the most expensive sold out tier.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 27, 2020

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

No mention of duels or war battles.

Jeez, I wasn't even looking for that, I thought it was a given.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If there are backer created NPCs, I am never playing this game.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Arbite posted:

Jeez, I wasn't even looking for that, I thought it was a given.

Yeah on $500k they couldn't give us much of anything, so it reads like they're afraid to promise too much until they have a publisher and the $10 million dollar budget they actually need for all of that stuff locked down.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's there, but you have to scroll up a bit from where you're looking. 350,000 yen is the most expensive sold out tier.

Good to know i'm not losing my mind and only my eyesight!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah on $500k they couldn't give us much of anything, so it reads like they're afraid to promise too much until they have a publisher and the $10 million dollar budget they actually need for all of that stuff locked down.

Hang on, from that interview:

quote:

RPGamer: Are there any large-scale battles?

R&B: Since this is a story about war, we will definitely have large-scale battles. Some of the people on the team want to include armies laying siege to your fortress town…

I guess it doesn't specifically say armies are in it right now so that could be an out they hopefully close soon.

And Kickstarter's down again. People want that Suikosweetness faster than they can dole it out. If anyone has the page open, does it say anything about armies there?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Arbite posted:

Hang on, from that interview:

And Kickstarter's down again. People want that Suikosweetness faster than they can dole it out.

Yeah the interviews mention them but the campaign doesn't. They also promised the fortress town but it became a stretch goal for the campaign, so I'm thinking that army battles might have gone that way as well. They're being a bit opaque.

Of course the popularity of it keeps murdering the Kickstarter servers so I guess there isn't too much to worry about from a funding angle. This campaign will probably close out well over $2 million and that will have a number of publishers hungry to jump on board.

Edit: It's been less than six hours and they're almost at $900k. New stretchgoals are a cooking minigame at $1.25 mil and New Game + at $1.5 mil.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 27, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Waylanders alpha has apparently been released. I don't remember anything at all about this game. That's the cool thing about Kickstarter, you can surprise your future self with a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
SuiKlone is my first backed KS campaign in some time. It closing in on $1.5mil has me wondering what NG+ would entail however.

Only played 1-4, never got around to 5.