Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
New Gillian Welch is out today http://smarturl.it/AllTheGoodTimesGWDR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This might be kinda outside the thread's topic, but are there any contemporary artists playing acoustic blues out there?Thinking about buyig an acoustic and wondering if there are any hip young people playing that sort of stuff.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Siivola posted:

This might be kinda outside the thread's topic, but are there any contemporary artists playing acoustic blues out there?Thinking about buyig an acoustic and wondering if there are any hip young people playing that sort of stuff.

I don't know of any who play acoustic blues exclusively, but most modern blues artists do from time to time at least.

Chris Kingfish Ingram
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhon3WYClRQ

Luther Dickinson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_eeJHJy_s

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh shoot, I'd forgotten Kingfish's album came out. Thanks for reminding me!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

There is only one way to say this: He looks like exactly the kind of person that would wear that hat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He doesn't sound at all Australian though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Orville Peck has a new EP, Show Pony, coming out on August 14th. It has a duet with Shania Twain, who I've never been a big fan of despite thinking she's hot, but I do enjoy duets.

Has anyone heard Margo Price's new album, That's How Rumors Get Started? All the reviews say she's moved away from the old country sound to something more like '70s California rock, and I'm not sure what I think about that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone heard Margo Price's new album, That's How Rumors Get Started? All the reviews say she's moved away from the old country sound to something more like '70s California rock, and I'm not sure what I think about that.

The stuff I've heard so far is good. She used to be in a band called Buffalo Clover that had the same kind of vibe. She's been saying since her last album that she wanted to change it up a bit and she's got plenty if influences that are not just country.

I don't mind it really. Letting the artist do their thing sounds more natural to me than just forcing them to record the same thing over and over trying to achieve the same fame from a breakout hit. Sturgill produced this which also likely contributed to the sound.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Orville Peck has a new EP, Show Pony, coming out on August 14th. It has a duet with Shania Twain, who I've never been a big fan of despite thinking she's hot, but I do enjoy duets.

This is all a little too "Chris Gaines" for me. Pass

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

XBenedict posted:

This is all a little too "Chris Gaines" for me. Pass

Chris Gaines owns son

Garth in the streets
Gaines in the sheets
:cool:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Has Dougie Poole been discussed on this thread? I stumbled upon him pretty recently and I'm curious if there are more artists like him.

https://youtu.be/H3HaZXYMzzw

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Jason Isbell has been releasing live show recordings for $10 each on Bandcamp. I would love to see this trend continue with other artists.

https://jasonisbell.bandcamp.com/

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
In a similar but different vein,

Slaid Cleaves has been doing a live stream once a month and all the old streams are available on his YouTube page.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bonzo posted:

Jason Isbell has been releasing live show recordings for $10 each on Bandcamp. I would love to see this trend continue with other artists.

Bonzo posted:

I'm surprised more musicians don't do this. They Might Be Giants have been recording and selling downloads of their shows for well over a decade.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Happy Hippo posted:

Chris Gaines owns son

Garth in the streets
Gaines in the sheets
:cool:

yeah idk if it's an unpopular opinion (probably?) but i liked the Chris Gaines music when it came out even if the gimmick was a little cringe

I mean i haven't heard it in years but i remember liking it when i was in high school

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah idk if it's an unpopular opinion (probably?) but i liked the Chris Gaines music when it came out even if the gimmick was a little cringe

I mean i haven't heard it in years but i remember liking it when i was in high school

My podcast's producer co-hosted a season of a podcast called Chris Gaines: The Podcast and it's all the Chris Gaines you never knew you wanted.

https://weownthistown.net/shows/chris-gaines-the-podcast/

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Well, I listened to Orville Peck's unremarkable new EP and it is as I predicted; I'm over his bit.

The one thing on this release that is worthwhile is his version of Bobbie Gentry's oft-covered "Fancy". The rest of his "lonely drifter on a gravel road" routine is played out, and that really shows when he gets paired up with Shania Twain of all people.

Game over.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Well, I listened to Orville Peck's unremarkable new EP and it is as I predicted; I'm over his bit.

The one thing on this release that is worthwhile is his version of Bobbie Gentry's oft-covered "Fancy". The rest of his "lonely drifter on a gravel road" routine is played out, and that really shows when he gets paired up with Shania Twain of all people.

Game over.

I didn't like it as much as I hoped to, after Pony ended up being my favorite album of 2019. Peck still has my favorite voice of any modern male singer, but the songs on Show Pony were mostly slow and a little redundant, even to this big fan.

Shania Twain is still gorgeous in the new video, though. I always wish I liked her music because she's so easy on the eyes, but I could never get into her kind of pop-country.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I am not surprised by Unknown Hinson, but I am disappointed. Don't gently caress with Dolly.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

It's too bad about Unknown Hinson. He's genuinely funny and puts on a solid show. Too bad he basically called Dolly Parton a race traitor.

"Allow me to explain the contamination process: pine cones go in here, party liquors come out here, and proceed to here (pointing at mouth); fights begin, fingerprints is took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.''

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

"I know how I'm going to come out to the world as a white supremacist, I'm gonna insult Dolly Parton's boobs"

talk about a galaxy level self-own

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, his music was mostly funny, Squidbillies is one of my favorite shows, and the way he immediately cancelled his tour at the beginning of COVID while Rev Horton Heat was going full chud made me like him even more. Pretty soon after that though, he started posting apparently unironic "If you don't support Trump, you hate America" poo poo on facebook. He's got some serious brainworms, how the gently caress do you think things will go well for you when you do a big misogyny, anti-BLM, and insult Dolly Parton all in the same tweet?

edit: I once bumped into Hinson (not in makeup) at a RHH show coming out of the john. I stopped and said sorry and then did a double take and he just looked at me like "Yeah, I know you know who I am, move along now."

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 19, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

XBenedict posted:

The one thing on this release that is worthwhile is his version of Bobbie Gentry's oft-covered "Fancy".

Agreed, this track is the standout. It's an amazing song, very much aligned with Orville's pro sexwork take.

Bobbie's original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORfoK5Ap0FA and it's better than Orville's cover.

Sexwork is work and its time for society to acknowledge that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dangit, Rontrose died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBbeZB_kiGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT6bDNFPTG0

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 20, 2020

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
This is a tough one. He will be so very missed.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

DogoDogo posted:

This is a tough one. He will be so very missed.

What the gently caress

e: I had tickets to see him in April before they got cancelled. I leaned p heavily on his music for the last decade and was super pumped to be able to see him play.

I can't imagine what his family's going through.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 24, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Was he sick? That’s pretty shocking. Guy was talented.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbgA2BZzDF4

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I had the pleasure of meeting JTE in the wild a few years ago and we had a five minute conversation. He was very happy at the time because he had just bought his very first brand new off-the-lot car ever. He was very nice and generous with his time. His music was great, of course. I hate to hear this.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

BigFactory posted:

Was he sick? That’s pretty shocking. Guy was talented.

I hadn't realized it but I just saw some vids on YT of a couple of his shows from the last year. Looks like he was struggling pretty badly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That's very sad. I really loved Harlem River Blues.

I did not realize Steve Earle has been married 7 times.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNBzPrFTPtE

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen an accurate representation of small time farming in a music video, so props to that. Reminds me of my farm kid friends from when I was growing up ;)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I finally got around to getting the Drive-By Truckers album from the start of the year and I really like it.
It's not as good as American Band, but that album was excellent.

It's funny looking at some of the user reviews, though. Kinda hard to work out who doesn't like it on musical grounds vs who doesn't like it on political/ideological grounds but uses the music as their excuse.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
I love DBT, but personally I haven't really listened to it much. There's definitely some fine songs, but I dunno, I guess it's a little too heavy for me given the state of the world. I respect what they're trying to do, but I really don't want to hear "Babies in Cages" in my headphones at work.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Do any of their songs really explain how to react and change the problems raised?

"Say we have to hang on just a little bit longer
And a savior will come our way
We'll know him by the neon sign
And the opulence he maintains
If Amazon can deliver salvation
I'll order it up on my phone
With big brother watching me always"

Trump and Bezos AOK?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If any Gillian Welch fans haven't heard it yet, the awkwardly titled "Boots No.2: The Lost Tapes Vol. 1" is really really great. There are at least a half dozen songs on there that are up there with some of Gil's best stuff, and the rest of the songs are all solid.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

New West Records is promoting New West University which is a curated bundle of 18 new albums, starting at $100. There is quite a nice list of ones already announced from The Secret Sisters, Steve Earle, Delta Spirit, and more.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Blanco Brown is in the ICU after a pretty bad car accident Monday night. Twelve hours in surgery when he first came in, and it looks like he's expected to have more. His label just released the statement about it this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
just discovering Sturgill Simpson and well, it's a treat