Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Push El Burrito posted:

Jeph Loeb loving sucks poo poo and basically destroyed the entire Ultimate Marvel comics line by himself.

I haven't read long halloween or Dark victory in ages, but used to think they were pretty great. what the hell happened?

snipe tax:

https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1287837993005457413?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mikl posted:

Oh? Do you have more info about this?

I'm not doubting you, I'd just love to read more about this stuff :)

He wrote Ultimates 3 which is seen as the big turning point to The Ultimate Universe going downhill (he took the kind of creepy closeness of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and made them explicitly lovers. When Captain America became Wasp says he's out of touch just because they're brother and sister.)

He then went on to write Ultimatum which was supposed to be the actual end of the Ultimate line at that point. Instead of a loving sendoff he just brutally killed a bunch of characters. This includes poo poo like Dr. Strange getting unceremoniously squeezed to death by his own cape and Blob eating The Wasp who is, in turn, eaten by Giant Man. It was just a bunch of disgusting terrible stuff.

Bendis being so protective of Ultimate Spider-Man is the only reason we got Miles Morales though and dang is he a good character.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Jul 27, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Push El Burrito posted:

Jeph Loeb loving sucks poo poo and basically destroyed the entire Ultimate Marvel comics line by himself.

haha, oh yeah, good times. at least they were terrible enough to be funny. i think i saw some edits of a few Ultimates issues that came from the forums

(i continue to hold that combining the characters of Hawkeye and Bullseye is not *necessarily* a bad idea, the way Wolverine loving Magneto's wife was)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doc Hawkins posted:

haha, oh yeah, good times. at least they were terrible enough to be funny. i think i saw some edits of a few Ultimates issues that came from the forums

(i continue to hold that combining the characters of Hawkeye and Bullseye is not *necessarily* a bad idea, the way Wolverine loving Magneto's wife was)

MightyGodKing used to do funny edits of Marvel stuff and tackled Ultimates at one point. http://mightygodking.com/ultimate-power-2-very-naughty-edition/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

He wrote Ultimates 3 which is seen as the big turning point to The Ultimate Universe going downhill (he took the kind of creepy closeness of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and made them explicitly lovers. When Captain America became Wasp says he's out of touch just because they're brother and sister.)

He then went on to write Ultimatum which was supposed to be the actual end of the Ultimate line at that point. Instead of a loving sendoff he just brutally killed a bunch of characters. This includes poo poo like Dr. Strange getting unceremoniously squeezed to death by his own cape and Blob eating The Wasp who is, in turn, eaten by Giant Man. It was just a bunch of disgusting terrible stuff.

Bendis being so protective of Ultimate Spider-Man is the only reason we got Miles Morales though and dang is he a good character.

You forgot the part where Magneto gets his arm cut off by Wolverine

And Dr Doom gets killed by Ben Grimm (note: Doom is not in the Ultimate Universe at this time)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

I haven't read long halloween or Dark victory in ages, but used to think they were pretty great. what the hell happened?
Jeph Loeb is a hack and always has been, and basically spent his entire career failing upward.

I'll give you that Long Halloween was solid, but his playbook is depressing: pair with a top-level artist like Tim Sale, Jim Lee, Ed McGuiness, Frank Cho, etc.-- and write a loosely connected series of vignettes with a disappointing mystery at the center, each vignette guest-starring a beloved villain/adjacent hero. Cameos cameos cameos. Always more cameos. It's really valuable as a tool for giving these AAA artists some nice easy material that makes for great posters and lures in casual audiences like yourself, but frankly any writer could do them. If you told me his entire career was based on being a rich kid who got in good as a buddy of top-level people, I would absolutely believe you. There is no way he got there on the strength of his work alone.

Then his son very tragically died young of cancer, and that seemed to be the breaking point. All of his output afterward was this bizarre melange of uninspired yet still too edgy for its own good-- the Ultimates 3/Ultimatum was covered, he's also the doofus who decided "What if Hulk, but Red and threatening to rape She-Hulk?" and then made said Red Hulk go on the standard cameo parade.

But by this point he was the guy who did Long Halloween and Hush and brought back Supergirl, and Marvel wasn't just going to let him go, so they farmed him out to their TV adaptations which at the time-- the late 00s-- was basically sending Loeb to a farm upstate where he could laugh and play with all the other dogs. His most notable contribution was killing off a surprisingly good Avengers cartoon because "Kids can't follow ongoing stories in cartoons" (he said, while Avatar ran concurrently).

And then the MCU became the biggest poo poo on the planet, and apparently Loeb is just impossible to remove, so he has absolutely been a factor in why Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows ended up being a noticeable grade or two down from everything else the Marvel Studios brand has made. Hearing about his Asian racism knowing how bad Marvel as a company has been about Asian anything until the last 5-8 years is not surprising.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/AurumHaze/status/1287870083834900481

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

https://twitter.com/AurumHaze/status/1287919064099123201

:stare:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're the first person to mention the word "ephebophilia", you're losing whatever discussion you're involved in.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

If you're the first person to mention the word "ephebophilia", you're losing whatever discussion you're involved in.

This is true even if you're bringing it up as something that should be made fun of

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That pedo is going off on a wild one tonight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait the term only applies to Under twelve but the other term is 16+ so shouldn’t there be a third one

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

As soon as you say the word 'ephebophilia' you are all in. You do not get to back out of the conversation at that point without explaining what that is and why you know it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I hate that I know there's multiple flavors of pedophile, it's probably the worst fun fact I've learned on these forums

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait the term only applies to Under twelve but the other term is 16+ so shouldn’t there be a third one

That's for prepubescent and postpubescent children. The middle one (pubescent children) is hebephilia.

(they're all pedophilia)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's for prepubescent and postpubescent children. The middle one (pubescent children) is hebephilia.

(they're all pedophilia)

Yeah but the dude says two so I don’t think he knows that

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If someone calls you a pedophile, debating terminology is a losing strategy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
And then there's the teleiophiles

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pththya-lyi posted:

Is that phrase a Lucas Werner thing?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
a Heebie-jeebiesphile

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pththya-lyi posted:

Me, chasing my date down the street: "No, it means I like older women. I'm the opposite of a pedophile!"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Breetai posted:

Is that phrase a Lucas Werner thing?

That's the only person I've ever heard use any variant of that phrase so I'm going to go with yes

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I mean, the most charitable assumption you can make is that OP is talking about children and teenagers who are attracted to adults instead of people their own age, but...apparently OP posted on r/braincels so he doesn't deserve charity

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ambitious Spider posted:

snipe tax:

https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1287837993005457413?s=20

This guy (Mitchell) was a good friend of mine, but we’ve fallen out of touch over the last 5-10 years. Wouldn’t have expected him to take this angle, but not surprised he dug in once he did.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The GBS thread Lowtax is posting in is some prime sewage for IOSM if you're so-inclined.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934125

It starts bad and gets worse.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gaohmee/status/1287932131264479232

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:psyduck:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1287946541295194112

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkXV7XjMMs

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/consumerchampi2/status/1287867314864394242?s=21

I mean, the first part is true, but what the gently caress do you think Jesus drank at the last supper?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

There is specially kosher wine so there must be something to it, but I have no idea what it is

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are no specific dietary laws against anything involved in wine, but there are rules about who's allowed to be involved in the winemaking process in order for it to be considered kosher.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TinTower posted:

I mean, the first part is true, but what the gently caress do you think Jesus drank at the last supper?

Also, Jesus' first public miracle was turning water into wine. :v:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Wikipedia posted:

Judaism relates to consumption of alcohol, particularly of wine, in a complex manner.

Sir, you shock me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

Nah it’s cool, he clarifies that Eastern European Jews have corrupted the meaning of the religion. Totally normal thing to think and say!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TinTower posted:

This guy is clearly some anti-Isreal nutcase, but I've never heard of any non-European Jewish community not being able to have alcohol.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Jew here, there is literally nothing in judaism banning alcohol. Kosher wine is made a certain way but so is kosher hummus and kosher milk and literally everything that goes down the observant jew's throat. Kashrut applies to everything, including booze.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Surabees/status/1288101467581227011

Today should be a good day for iosm.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"temporarily limited some account features" is not a suspension. His account is still active. He just has to delete the offending tweet and he'll be able to post most of whatever garbage he pleases again.

Glad they're cracking down on the Hydroxywhatever resurgence though

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

I'm still irrationally enraged at Americans using "period" for the literal sense and "full stop" for the figurative one. I like to imagine everybody doing this has no idea they're talking about punctuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mak0rz posted:

"temporarily limited some account features" is not a suspension. His account is still active. He just has to delete the offending tweet and he'll be able to post most of whatever garbage he pleases again.

Glad they're cracking down on the Hydroxywhatever resurgence though

But she personally treated 350 with it and none of them died! Please believe her! And also the thing about the hiccups! It was a study! And definitely not a single case report that made no conclusions!