Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
"AND she's an acrobat, Ted!"

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

So apparently the new plan for episodes is to records versions of the live shows and release those.

Also I was watching the Cinematic Titanic episode Blood of the Vampires and like 5 minutes in Frank makes a joke using the phrase "pre-op tranny" yikes.

Release them where though?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Release them where though?

Probably through Shout! Factory, I'd expect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Rifftrax model has shown that there is an audience for just releasing "episodes" piecemeal and they don't necessarily need to do a whole TV show thing. Although Rifftrax does have much less overhead as they aren't doing as much filming (they've been doing post movie videos for their Patreon where Mike, Kevin and Bill talk about what they just riffed.)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I heard they had video crews at the live shows so it would make sense for them to be releasing them.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

So apparently the new plan for episodes is to records versions of the live shows and release those.

Is there more information on this somewhere?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

John Saxon died today.

You know, for a bad guy, he's got a lot of Christmas presents.

and

Hey!

What?

BANG

Oh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everything Counts posted:

Is there more information on this somewhere?

https://www.ign.com/articles/mystery-science-theater-3000s-creator-joel-hodgson-discusses-another-comeback-upcoming-mst3k-projects

quote:

“We were planning on recording our six live shows ... How do you do that remotely? So we're really thinking through that and we're really going to start talking to the fan base about that. What does that look like? How do we do that? ... That's what we were going to do when we got back, is just get ready for that, get ready to do a Kickstarter. And we want to proceed really thoughtfully, because it's such a weird time. So we just are thinking about it, figuring it out right now.”

While the live shows and the Netflix series featured different cast members, some combination of recent players and puppeteers could show up in a future MST3K incarnation. Hodgson says, “If we do these live shows, it's a composite of Jonah [Ray], and people from the cast from Netflix, and it's me, and it's Emily [Marsh]. So it's really going to be a mix. For example, the first tour we did [the Watch Out for Snakes Tour] was Jonah, right? That's Jonah and the cast and Cynthia, who's Rebecca Hansen. So that was those two. And then we did [The 30th Anniversary Tour] ... And that one, it was kind of split between Jonah and me. So we kind of took turns riffing. And then the third one was me ... And then in success, if we raise more money, if people want more, then we're going to let Emily start doing some on her own ... My impression is it's kind of rotating with hosts. I'm going to phase myself out probably.”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive been willing to pay for these live shows for friggan ever, thank you for finally letting me pay you for them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So thanks to the No Context Violence twitter I discovered that there was this really weird trend in bad 80's action movies(especially for Ninja movies) to have really abrupt non endings, often happening right after or even in the middle of someone dying, and it's the most baffling thing I've ever seen, did MST3K have any movies end in such an abrupt fashion, cause if not it definitely seems like the kind of thing they should riff on

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drrockso20 posted:

So thanks to the No Context Violence twitter I discovered that there was this really weird trend in bad 80's action movies(especially for Ninja movies) to have really abrupt non endings, often happening right after or even in the middle of someone dying, and it's the most baffling thing I've ever seen, did MST3K have any movies end in such an abrupt fashion, cause if not it definitely seems like the kind of thing they should riff on

Have no idea what you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkvOfm5Vo0

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Cinematic Titanic sort of did with Doomsday Machine. Apparently the movie ran out of money and/or willingness to continue (from what I understand), so there'a a certain point where the story more or less ends.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Miami Connection seemed to be the opposite.

The good guy kills all the ninjas and the big bad guy.
The end.

Also, here's a scene at the hospital, tacked on, and missing one of the cast members.

I think it's to be less abrupt, but. :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kenji Jenkins posted:

Also, here's a scene at the hospital, tacked on, and missing one of the cast members.

But that's where he finally gets to meet his FAAAAHTHER.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have no idea what you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkvOfm5Vo0

That was one of the movies that was brought up in that thread in fact

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Cinematic Titanic sort of did with Doomsday Machine. Apparently the movie ran out of money and/or willingness to continue (from what I understand), so there'a a certain point where the story more or less ends.

I have a feeling budget issues are like 99% of the reason that happens

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

drrockso20 posted:

Not only did it happen at the end of Final Justice, it even pre-dated the 1980s with Horrors of Spider Island ("Oh, this is how you wanna end, movie? Okay, get bent! We're outta here.")

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's half correct. They ran out of money to film an ending, and the unfinished film sat on a shelf for a decade or so, before some new guy grabbed it, and decided to finish it with an ending that was written around the fact they didn't have the original actors.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Paper Kaiju posted:

That's half correct. They ran out of money to film an ending, and the unfinished film sat on a shelf for a decade or so, before some new guy grabbed it, and decided to finish it with an ending that was written around the fact they didn't have the original actors.

Ah....yes, makes sense. They even riff on the fact that the voiceover (which is terrible) is clearly not even the same actor.

I watched that particular episode for the first time a few weeks ago and thought it was one of the more bizarre endings I had seen for any MST3K-related film.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not only did it happen at the end of Final Justice, it even pre-dated the 1980s with Horrors of Spider Island ("Oh, this is how you wanna end, movie? Okay, get bent! We're outta here.")

Monster-a-Go-Go, too, although that was a special case.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Senior Woodchuck posted:

There was no monster.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I didn't notice it on first watch but there's a small callback to Mr. B Natural in the final host segment of that episode

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TL posted:

There was no monster.

I love the write-up for the episode in the Colossal Guide. "There was no monster. Sorry to bother you."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TL posted:

There was no monster.

This was only a test. If there actually was a movie, you would be entertained.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zeether posted:

I didn't notice it on first watch but there's a small callback to Mr. B Natural in the final host segment of that episode

I keep meaning to bring this up and finally this post and the memory of the place was fresh enough to make me post about it. There's a place in my town (that previously was a cow print building that sold cheese and cheese merch) that recently opened named "Mr B's" and every time I drive past it I can only think MST3K.

Haven't been there, because gently caress going to an indoor restaurant during a pandemic. If it's still there if things ever get better I'll try and check it out.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

You gotta inspect your horn, boy!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!
Now the poor kid grandstands at every opportunity. :rolleyes:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
watched king dinosaur again, recently. everyone rags on the joey the lemur sketch, but that poo poo is hilarious

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Joey! The lemur! Friend to mankind!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Shout was showing Delta Knights on their MST3K Twitch channel

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 2, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He came *this* close to being Leonardo da Gary, Indiana.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

I thought these abrupt endings originated in asian kung fu movies in the 60s/70s due to how quick they filmed them, mere days, and that cinemas would instantly turn up the lights (or whatever) and force you out the door for the next screening.
Can't remember where I got this notion from.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You definitely have kung fu movies from the late 70s early 80s where the end cuts in the middle of the main character defeating the main villain.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1290296844195528706?s=20

This should really be a thing that exists.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd watch this. I know you're reading this, Google, make it happen.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

As much as it seems funny, isn't that just basically Space Ghost Coast to Coast?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sash! posted:

As much as it seems funny, isn't that just basically Space Ghost Coast to Coast?

Depends on how they do the interviews, I guess.

Now I remember my worlds colliding and seeing Joel on SGC2C. Good times. In his Megacheese book, Mike even calls it an 'odd, entertaining little show' which one did not expect.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It sounds very much like Space Ghost but that's not a bad thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The world could use more SGC2C right now

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Ba-da-been, we're livin' in Deep 13...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Looking for love
Hoping for evil