Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It'll automatically be validated based on its hardware hash when it phones home.

I dont think so with Enterprise. It needs a license server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Captain Yossarian posted:

Adding to my mystery of the SMB addled windows network, I have discovered that turning SMB v1 off does not actually prevent me from connecting to the drives if I use the direct network path, however the network drives disappear, and if I map them, they no longer work. I think it does relate to what the poster said about guest accounts because with SMB off it only appears to allow 1 person access at a time. A very strange problem, but at least I'm able to move stuff to my PC without needing smb v1 🤷🏻‍♂️
So you can access the shares by IP address but not by name?

What redeyes posted will work if you really want or need the ability to just browse the Network section of Explorer, here's the relevant MS docs where that quoted part came from:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...etwork-browsing

That said, they do have this note immediately after the part that was quoted:

quote:

We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.

In other words it's recommended that you use DNS names or IP addresses rather than relying on Windows' network discovery to map names to computers. On most consumer network-in-a-box devices there's a checkbox option in the DNS or DHCP settings to automatically map hostnames in to the local DNS zone. That way even devices that can't use Windows network discovery can still find everything by name.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 27, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Really dumb question:

What do I type to get a file browser window from the start menu?

I don't always know what the name of the file or exactly where it is stored so I can't just type that.

I sometimes have to use a really bad keyboard without a windows key, otherwise I'd just hit winkey + E and not worry about it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

effika posted:

Really dumb question:

I don't always know what the name of the file or exactly where it is stored so I can't just type that.

I sometimes have to use a really bad keyboard without a windows key, otherwise I'd just hit winkey + E and not worry about it.

Try File, File Explorer, or just Explorer.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sininu posted:

Try File, File Explorer, or just Explorer.

I get 7zip, File explorer options, and IE :derp: for those

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

effika posted:

I get 7zip, File explorer options, and IE :derp: for those

The middle one is the one you want.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'd recommend right-clicking the start menu and selecting File Explorer.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 27, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
File Explorer options literally brings up the control panel options for File Explorer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I type "File" and I get the actual File Explorer as the "Best match" at the top :shrug:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hrm, search bad as always. Would pinning it to the taskbar be an acceptable option for you?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Pinning is fine when I am at my computer, but I have to use other machines regularly.

I'll just get to it via typing a known folder for those machines.

Thanks anyway thread!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Type "explorer.exe" for a while and search will eventually get the idea that you like file explorer. Then it'll start showing you that as the first option for "explore" or even fewer characters.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

effika posted:

Really dumb question:

You can also right-click the start menu to bring up a menu with File Explorer and a bunch of other shortcuts, the same one you get when pressing Win+X.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

Type "explorer.exe" for a while and search will eventually get the idea that you like file explorer. Then it'll start showing you that as the first option for "explore" or even fewer characters.
This is so hit or miss for me it's comical at this point, and it changes day to day. The Start menu search is truly hosed. Yesterday I launched a tool called Elite Dangerous Market Connector, which is EDMC.exe, by typing edmc in search - no issues a bunch of times. Today (with no new updates) that now auto-completes to Edge.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Don't leave home without a start menu replacement..

I seriously don't know how Microsoft have screwed up such basic functionality so hard

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

effika posted:

Really dumb question:

Just type C:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Don't leave home without a start menu replacement..

I seriously don't know how Microsoft have screwed up such basic functionality so hard

smart searching means it learns all the worst habits first like a dog and then you have to train it

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I was gonna say win+x, e, but...

beuges posted:

Just type C:

That's really clever and never would have occurred to me even though I use <driveletter>: in Everything (the search utility) all the time.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Edit: default version has at least documents button

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MikusR posted:

Edit: default version has at least documents button

now try to press that button without talking your hands off the keyboard

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is so hit or miss for me it's comical at this point, and it changes day to day. The Start menu search is truly hosed. Yesterday I launched a tool called Elite Dangerous Market Connector, which is EDMC.exe, by typing edmc in search - no issues a bunch of times. Today (with no new updates) that now auto-completes to Edge.

I needed another browser for a mo the other day, so I typed edge which I don't use
I got "Smooth the edges of images and text"
edg worked though... and now after launching Edge the full word works

The Start menu search is powerfully bad - it's not just that it doesn't always find the thing you want, typing more of the exact match you want can actually make it less accurate. So you have to be careful not to be too specific. No idea what the hell kind of scoring system they're using but it's been like this for years

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

I needed another browser for a mo the other day, so I typed edge which I don't use

The Start menu search is powerfully bad - it's not just that it doesn't always find the thing you want, typing more of the exact match you want can actually make it less accurate. So you have to be careful not to be too specific. No idea what the hell kind of scoring system they're using but it's been like this for years

In 2004 I type in 'EDGE' and get, edge. However, It could be that previous search data corrupts everything and blah blah. I have no loving idea. Works nice right now for me though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

baka kaba posted:

I don't think I've ever had this problem. That's honestly the worst part about it; for some people it seems to be completely terrible with tons of bugs but for others it doesn't have those issues.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

it seems to change depending on how often you launch a thing - like I said now if I type edge I get Microsoft Edge

if I start typing "explorer" though, exp matches File Explorer but adding the l switches it to Internet Explorer

I just typed "install" and it kept jumping between a suggestion for Instagram and Visual Studio Installer, back and forth. I saw the Printers thing at one point, probably because you might want to install a printer, but I backspaced and typed "install" again and the printer thing doesn't appear now. Go home start menu you're a mess

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Klyith posted:

now try to press that button without talking your hands off the keyboard
you press tab then arrow down to it and press enter.

although at that point you're doing more work than just pressing win+e to begin with

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Does disabling Cortana and telling Microsoft to not collect every bit of your personal data affect the search there? I don't use it often but have noticed the last couple times I used it that it was more cluttered and less useful than it used to be. I try to turn off all the telemetry and disable Cortana, and I don't know if that would help or hinder having search work as expected. Oh, and I think the last time I used it was on 2004 and it looked like rear end, but I just checked on a machine running 1909 and it looked okay. When I boot to 2004 again later I'll try to remember to take a look at it.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Is it still possible to go from Windows 8.1 to 10 for free?

I have a friend who is currently on Windows 8.1 on a HDD. We want to end up with Windows 10 on a new SSD. It's an HP desktop that I believe came with 8.1 originally. They're trying to avoid having to install windows from scratch, but I don't know if a direct upgrade is still possible, and it's probably a good time to start fresh anyway.

Would a new install of Windows 10 on a blank SSD activate using the 8.1 key stored in the BIOS?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GigaFuzz posted:

Is it still possible to go from Windows 8.1 to 10 for free?

I have a friend who is currently on Windows 8.1 on a HDD. We want to end up with Windows 10 on a new SSD. It's an HP desktop that I believe came with 8.1 originally. They're trying to avoid having to install windows from scratch, but I don't know if a direct upgrade is still possible, and it's probably a good time to start fresh anyway.

Would a new install of Windows 10 on a blank SSD activate using the 8.1 key stored in the BIOS?

Should work fine. I still do it with Windows 7 keys.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

wolrah posted:

So you can access the shares by IP address but not by name?

What redeyes posted will work if you really want or need the ability to just browse the Network section of Explorer, here's the relevant MS docs where that quoted part came from:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...etwork-browsing

That said, they do have this note immediately after the part that was quoted:

In other words it's recommended that you use DNS names or IP addresses rather than relying on Windows' network discovery to map names to computers. On most consumer network-in-a-box devices there's a checkbox option in the DNS or DHCP settings to automatically map hostnames in to the local DNS zone. That way even devices that can't use Windows network discovery can still find everything by name.

Between this and red-eyes post, this pretty much solved all my issues! ("Pretty much solved all my issues" sums up my windows 10 experience lol)

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
The start menu search has been having a weird issue for me lately. I'll often press the Win key, type in the name of a folder, then press enter which opens the folder and closes the search menu. But for some folders, the search menu won't go away after pressing enter. Has anyone run into anything like this? This only seems to happen for cloud storage folders like Dropbox and Box Sync.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Cross posting this to the relevant threads where I figure people might go to find help on the subject:

If any of you guys use chromium-edge; you’ve probably noticed it now crashes when you try and type anything in the URL bar. This is caused by some change google has made that edge hasn’t been adapted to yet; you can prevent it from happening by switching your default search engine away from google; or by disabling search suggestions.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ah, the "What exception handling?" strategy.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

The Lord Bude posted:

Cross posting this to the relevant threads where I figure people might go to find help on the subject:

If any of you guys use chromium-edge; you’ve probably noticed it now crashes when you try and type anything in the URL bar. This is caused by some change google has made that edge hasn’t been adapted to yet; you can prevent it from happening by switching your default search engine away from google; or by disabling search suggestions.

thanks for this. chrome on android hadn't functioned properly, but I switched search and it's fine now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

papa horny michael posted:

thanks for this. chrome on android hadn't functioned properly, but I switched search and it's fine now.

You're welcome! The issue is now resolved, so you can switch back if you want.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Two of the last three times I've woken my desktop, it's had me put in my BitLocker key. Why is it doing that and how do I get it to go back to not asking?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You think drive cloning is something Windows will ever do natively?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm reviving an old HP desktop*, replacing the dead hard drive (unrelated to the above question). What's the best way to go about getting Windows back onto it? I still have the original product key.

*A decade or bit less old.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I'm reviving an old HP desktop*, replacing the dead hard drive (unrelated to the above question). What's the best way to go about getting Windows back onto it? I still have the original product key.

*A decade or bit less old.

As long as it is Windows 7 or later (and the hardware can deal with it) then downloading the Windows 10 .iso, making it a bootable USB drive, and doing a fresh install would be the usual process.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As long as it is Windows 7 or later (and the hardware can deal with it) then downloading the Windows 10 .iso, making it a bootable USB drive, and doing a fresh install would be the usual process.

So at some point it'll just ask for the old key, and everything should be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

So at some point it'll just ask for the old key, and everything should be fine?

Yeah, by all reports it usually works without a problem.