Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Something that I started thinking about yesterday, but is there any particular reason why Scott Norton was IWGP Heavyweight Champion?

because Scott Norton loving ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This is, apparently, the WWF "Real World's Champion" belt the WWF had made more Flair to replace the WCW one. It looks different, but nowhere near enough not to be confused with the WCW Big Gold.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

gently caress I think they could have used that as the undisputed title, that looks pretty good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Here's a photo of Flair holding up the belt I posted earlier (though I see now some are saying that Flair was holding a modified Tag belt (With the words "Tag Team" removed, and the globe painted black), and that pic I posted was someone's commissioned replica of that modified belt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

because Scott Norton loving ruled

:hmmyes:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was also confusing because it seemed like he had a different belt every time he appeared. First it was the actual big gold belt which was then digitized, but that wasn't enough. Then he started carrying around a spare tag team championship belt, which was then also digitized, but again, that wasn't enough. If you were paying attention to WWF and had little to no experience with WCW, it seemed like this guy you had probably heard about as Hogan's equal parading around with a bunch of different belts, claming to be the real champion even though it seemed like a con.

Thinking back, that's exactly what 12-year old me thought it was - Flair had a fake belt that he insisted was better than Hogan's (which couldn't possibly be true!).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A Scott should have beaten Goldberg first whether it was Steiner or Norton

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

Here's a photo of Flair holding up the belt I posted earlier (though I see now some are saying that Flair was holding a modified Tag belt (With the words "Tag Team" removed, and the globe painted black), and that pic I posted was someone's commissioned replica of that modified belt.

This also makes me think of these alternate tag titles they had briefly in the 90s:

Most of the time the tag belts had "World" in red with the globe in a lighter/brighter blue than seen here. I wonder if they liked the way the Flair one looked so much that they used it briefly for the tag titles, or vice versa?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I just realized Cagematch changed their Matchguide where you can vote on any match so long as it has a listed match time

This is bad because I was used to going to the guide for each wrestler and seeing a list of decent matches - I just went to Flair's matchguide and saw a Spirit Squad and Flair/Piper match on the recommended matches, but then I clicked it and it's only on there because one guy voted it 4/10

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=15210

Not good

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Red posted:

Thinking back, that's exactly what 12-year old me thought it was - Flair had a fake belt that he insisted was better than Hogan's (which couldn't possibly be true!).

I actually kind of liked it when Heenan was running around with it and Gorilla asked him if it made his fingers green. :mmmhmm:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scott Hall
Scott Steiner
Scott Norton

Scott world order

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

Scott Hall
Scott Steiner
Scott Norton

Scott world order

Scott Levy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

The classic Vince mistake of making the industry a zero-sum game: You can't make someone seem credible based on outside accomplishments because that means there's stars NOT in the WWE... except that when you decide to make that the story you've spent so long telling people that nothing outside matters that they don't believe you when you swear THIS ONE is different.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

oldpainless posted:

Scott Hall
Scott Steiner
Scott Norton

Scott world order

Randaconda posted:

Scott Levy

Scotty 2 Hotty

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scotty wasn't in wcw at the time

all 4 of those Scotts were (One was Raven, granted)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Roddy Piper pretended to be a Scot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Roddy Piper pretended to be a Scot.

I mean, loud, violent, largely intoxicated, kinda racist sometimes... am I describing Roddy or an Old Firm crowd?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Why is there a flaming garbage can next to his name

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Nostradingus posted:

Why is there a flaming garbage can next to his name

The aesthetic of 1997 WWF was "bald men angrily marching around burning junk and debris."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gavok posted:

The aesthetic of 1997 WWF was "bald men angrily marching around burning junk and debris."

The intro to Raw included barking dogs, WW2 footage, and Ahmed Johnson hitting a fence with a 2x4 and screaming

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Red posted:

The intro to Raw included barking dogs, WW2 footage, and Ahmed Johnson hitting a fence with a 2x4 and screaming

With "Beautiful People" playing. It was wonderful.

Good God, do I wish TheDiceMustRoll would update that retro Raw thread.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Has there ever been a wrestler with a Warrior Monk type character like a very zen guy who wins by their opponent’s aggression being turned against them. Orange Cassidy is sort of this but I’m thinking more traditional.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ww-FTQAfjE

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTcr3J1zQQ

Gavok posted:

They pretty much directly ripped off the aesthetic of Nitro's intro. Before that you had this kinda stuff that made nobody amped up for wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfefn4lSbd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUZhzOiVh8

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I only really started watching wrestling around '94-'96 and WWE was my 3rd option so boy, I have no memory at all of those opening songs.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have no memory of the raw intros during that time because i was watching nitro for the first hour

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So quick questions, which match that people think is a classic or is a classic but you think the actual booking of the match doesn't make sense for what they're trying to do? For me the biggest example is the 92 Royal Rumble as they very much wanted Hogan to get a super sympathy pop for not winning the title and Sid/Flair to be super over as heels with Sid robbing Hulk of the title and Flair winning it by cheating/screwy means. However when you watch the match you see while Flair does take shortcuts he's also out there for an hour and the crowd is starting to cheer him because that's super impressive, Hogan comes in late and thus when he pulls his act the end it comes off as really petty. Looking at the lay out of the match and the flow it's not to hard to see that Flair is gonna get a pop for winning and that Hogan just might get booed for his act the end

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the triple h vs undertaker match where triple h was supposed to get a massive pop and thank you chants after he couldn't take out the undertaker, and any time triple h was ever supposed to have been a sympathetic character

forgot to say i know not a ton of people love those matches but i consider it fitting into the classic matches category due to meltzer's high rating and the respect he is given. Thank you

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 28, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SatoshiMiwa posted:

So quick questions, which match that people think is a classic or is a classic but you think the actual booking of the match doesn't make sense for what they're trying to do? For me the biggest example is the 92 Royal Rumble as they very much wanted Hogan to get a super sympathy pop for not winning the title and Sid/Flair to be super over as heels with Sid robbing Hulk of the title and Flair winning it by cheating/screwy means. However when you watch the match you see while Flair does take shortcuts he's also out there for an hour and the crowd is starting to cheer him because that's super impressive, Hogan comes in late and thus when he pulls his act the end it comes off as really petty. Looking at the lay out of the match and the flow it's not to hard to see that Flair is gonna get a pop for winning and that Hogan just might get booed for his act the end

Okada/Naito at WK 12.

Granted that did have one hell of a payoff eventually, but it still was a pretty baffling booking decision.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

MorrisBae posted:

I just realized Cagematch changed their Matchguide where you can vote on any match so long as it has a listed match time

This is bad because I was used to going to the guide for each wrestler and seeing a list of decent matches - I just went to Flair's matchguide and saw a Spirit Squad and Flair/Piper match on the recommended matches, but then I clicked it and it's only on there because one guy voted it 4/10

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=15210

Not good

I think they got tired of being bugged to add matches from smaller promotions they don't really follow to it

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki was always awesome to see. Somehow WWE didn't instantly make him lame.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Okada/Naito at WK 12.

Granted that did have one hell of a payoff eventually, but it still was a pretty baffling booking decision.

You can re-live it here :D

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=49

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Has there ever been a wrestler with a Warrior Monk type character like a very zen guy who wins by their opponent’s aggression being turned against them. Orange Cassidy is sort of this but I’m thinking more traditional.

This is kind of Colt Cabana's thing too with all his "Make the opponent do something dumb" spots

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
A lot of WWF New York was also styled that way, with cyclone fencing and brick walls and CRT televisions stacked at odd angles on top of steel drums.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Eat My Fuc posted:

awesome an excuse for posting the best scene in Kung Fu Hustle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQV2VQ_I68s

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What happened to Homicide? Last time I remember seeing him was as a member of World Elite in TNA 2008/2009.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

He still is floating around. Just main evented one of GCWs Homecoming shows this past weekend and they also had a whole show dedicated to him within the past year

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
He was tagging with Eddie Kingston in the NWA for a while, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Moe_Rahn posted:

He was tagging with Eddie Kingston in the NWA for a while, too.

Which lead to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690FN3vfDw

In which we learned that Homicide saved Eddie's life