Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is a giant pain and not worth the effort.

Take it from someone who had a 00 ranger. It's not worth it. Especially if you have ABS, because iirc only the rear has ABS for some dumb reason, even though the front has the discs.

I do not have ABS.
I'm assuming your comment "this is a giant pain" is in reference to swapping out the brakes and not re-working the proportioning valve as curshedshitbox suggested.

I'll defer to you guys on this one. No one has really said "What a great idea" so I'll probably just redo the drum internals and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deteriorata posted:

Probably because if the rears lock up you'll spin out.
Haha yes. But I meant more so, JUST the rears having ABS is silly. I mean I get it, 4 wheel ABS is more expensive but still...

cursedshitbox posted:

yup.
As much as rear drums suck, it'll step out if the truck is unladen and on low traction surfaces.
Agreed. Swap in a disc-brake 8.8 or something if you must screw with it.
The coin is best chasing after differed maintenance or building a slush fund for when something breaks.

Axle swap is the right answer if you're gonna do Mustang discs all around yeah.
However, if you're gonna run that diff, you might as well have the motor to make use of it so I recommend dumping in an explorer 5.0 + Tremec trans (it's pretty much a drop in replacement if you have the 2.3/2.5L engine mounts. Or you can go the painful route of turbo-ing the Lima motor and swapping the head with a Volvo DOHC head. The bottom end of that motor is actually pretty strong (munis the pistons) and can handle a decent amount of boost, or just a little boost for a long time.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I do not have ABS.
I'm assuming your comment "this is a giant pain" is in reference to swapping out the brakes and not re-working the proportioning valve as curshedshitbox suggested.

I'll defer to you guys on this one. No one has really said "What a great idea" so I'll probably just redo the drum internals and call it a day.

I meant the whole thing. Realizing that you have to deal with the proportioning valve after you've already done the swap is just the last loving straw though and is not as easy as it sounds. At that point I'd rather just rip out the whole brake system and swap it; booster, master cyl, ABS (if you had it) and even the lines.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 27, 2020

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
2007 Corolla LE

Doing a lower ball joint replacement. I popped out the axle just to better access it, and noticed this white grease. Two questions- what kind of grease is this (axle or wheel bearing grease, I'm guessing?), and do I need to add a new bead of this grease prior to replacing my axle nut?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'd assume lithium.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I don't think that spot typically calls for grease, the last person in either did it to prevent corrosion or (if they were like the person who packed half a tube of grease ON TOP of the rubber shifter boot in my old Miata) just slammed grease in there for ~*reasons*~.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What sorts of problems can i run into from my lowered car occasionally scraping the ground?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You might have trouble using automated car washes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fumoto valves.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

Fumoto valves.

What is this, a crossover episode?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
Stupid question:

I just got a Mityvac extractor and the tube that connects to the extractor seems unreasonably difficult to remove. Do I just continue to try to yank the tube out? It feels like I'm going to break the plastic connector on the extractor.

edit: This thing:

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 28, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lowcrabdiet posted:

Stupid question:

I just got a Mityvac extractor and the tube that connects to the extractor seems unreasonably difficult to remove. Do I just continue to try to yank the tube out? It feels like I'm going to break the plastic connector on the extractor.

edit: This thing:

Most of those pneumatic connections make you push in the plastic ring to release the internal grabber bit so you can pull out the hose. Some can be difficult because maybe the grabber doesn't let go as much as it should.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 10, 2024

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My friend's 86 Nissan pickup blew the head gasket a few weeks ago, and when he took the head off he saw that one of the pistons was slightly eroded:

(look at the top edge)

He could turn this into a major rebuild project and replace it, or he could re-install the head and ignore it; is that little bit of erosion something to worry about, or is it just to be expected on a 35 year old vehicle?

edit: he just sent me the picture below, which looks like *something* (piston or ring?) has smeared itself along the inside of the channel... we're leaning toward major rebuild project now.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 28, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Head Bee Guy posted:

What sorts of problems can i run into from my lowered car occasionally scraping the ground?
Depends on what part(s) hit.

My factory height front valance hits the ground occasionally, but it's built for that and just takes some scratches on a plastic piece that's mostly not visible unless you're under the car. On the flip side we have the people in the "stance" crowd who brag about how many oil pans they've killed.

Vehicles built to go off-road and thus expected to scrape usually have skid plates attached to the underside specifically to protect the vulnerable parts, if you drive a vehicle low enough to be concerned about scraping important parts you might want to look in to whether that's an option. Make it so the parts that will hit the ground first are able to take the damage.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Anyone in NY state use the online DMV registration stuff? I just had to panic buy a car, was forced to register online, and now 3 days later I haven't heard a thing back from them except for a confirmation email. Any idea how long I can expect them to take? I can only catch rides to work for so long.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

My friend's 86 Nissan pickup blew the head gasket a few weeks ago, and when he took the head off he saw that one of the pistons was slightly eroded:

(look at the top edge)

He could turn this into a major rebuild project and replace it, or he could re-install the head and ignore it; is that little bit of erosion something to worry about, or is it just to be expected on a 35 year old vehicle?

edit: he just sent me the picture below, which looks like *something* (piston or ring?) has smeared itself along the inside of the channel... we're leaning toward major rebuild project now.

That’s done for. Looks like there was some pretty significant detonation in that cylinder and it eroded the ringland on that piston. At best it probably needs the cylinder bored out and an oversized piston installed, at worst the block is toast. Depends on how the block measures once it’s cleaned up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm close to needing tires on the truck, it's a 2013 F-150 rwd with the 5.0. It'll never be off roaded, it's getting DD duty right now and will likely see some winter use again. Best bang for the buck? Should I just go to Costco?

I also want to toss on all new pads and rotors, is there anything wrong with these Power Stop kits?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4659180&cc=3000982&jsn=1083
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7181056&cc=3000982&jsn=1082

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

zundfolge posted:

That’s done for. Looks like there was some pretty significant detonation in that cylinder and it eroded the ringland on that piston. At best it probably needs the cylinder bored out and an oversized piston installed, at worst the block is toast. Depends on how the block measures once it’s cleaned up.

This. There's no point to fixing that when that engine is so common in junkyards for less than it'll cost to fix (in both parts and labor).

OP, any idea which engine is in it? 86 was an odd year to begin with, and depending what country the truck hails from (I'm assuming the US), there's a couple of engines it may have had from the factory. The most common is the KA24E, but being an 86, it might be a Z series 4 cylinder. The Z is pretty hard to find now. If it's fuel injected and a US model, it's 99% likely a KA24E. If it has the underhood stickers and you're in the US or Canada, if it shows a fuel injected 2.4, it's the KA24E.

If it's a KA, they're stupid common and easy to find from 86 until the 96 model year (assuming you go with the original SOHC version). The Altima got the DOHC version of the KA from 93-01, but in a FWD config that requires swapping the timing cover, water pump, all accessory brackets, head, and distributor. The 240SX also got the DOHC version in a RWD version in some trims, but that's not a play n play swap like a SOHC would be.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

STR posted:

This. There's no point to fixing that when that engine is so common in junkyards for less than it'll cost to fix (in both parts and labor).

OP, any idea which engine is in it? 86 was an odd year to begin with, and depending what country the truck hails from (I'm assuming the US), there's a couple of engines it may have had from the factory. The most common is the KA24E, but being an 86, it might be a Z series 4 cylinder. The Z is pretty hard to find now. If it's fuel injected and a US model, it's 99% likely a KA24E. If it has the underhood stickers and you're in the US or Canada, if it shows a fuel injected 2.4, it's the KA24E.

If it's a KA, they're stupid common and easy to find from 86 until the 96 model year (assuming you go with the original SOHC version). The Altima got the DOHC version of the KA from 93-01, but in a FWD config that requires swapping the timing cover, water pump, all accessory brackets, head, and distributor. The 240SX also got the DOHC version in a RWD version in some trims, but that's not a play n play swap like a SOHC would be.

My bad, I checked with him and it's a 1984. The engine is a carbureted Z24.

I've suggested that he might have an easier time just getting a replacement engine; if it was a KA24E, I'd definitely push him toward that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He's gonna have a much harder time finding a Z24, unfortunately, just because of age, but they're out there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I'm close to needing tires on the truck, it's a 2013 F-150 rwd with the 5.0. It'll never be off roaded, it's getting DD duty right now and will likely see some winter use again. Best bang for the buck? Should I just go to Costco?

I also want to toss on all new pads and rotors, is there anything wrong with these Power Stop kits?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4659180&cc=3000982&jsn=1083
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7181056&cc=3000982&jsn=1082

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887596
Here's our tire thread, but I look up reviews on tirerack.com to see what people like, then shop locally. Discount Tire / America's Tire have good customer service, I presume Costco does too, etc.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My bad, I checked with him and it's a 1984. The engine is a carbureted Z24.

I've suggested that he might have an easier time just getting a replacement engine; if it was a KA24E, I'd definitely push him toward that.

Is it the one with twin spark plugs? "NAPS-Z"?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Charles posted:

Is it the one with twin spark plugs? "NAPS-Z"?

Yes, it's very weird.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

05 subaru outback

Starter motor issues - sharp tap on the motor got me started after no joy when turning the key

How much am I looking at (ballpark-ish) to repair the starter vs new starter?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 29, 2020

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I was driving home on the motorway yesterday when there was a loud crack, and then I saw i had a crack in my windscreen.

It was hard to get my phone to focus on it at all, but it's about 1.5" across on the tips of the crack lines, will a chip repair thing fix it, and get it to where it can pass an MOT?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I can't speak to MOT, but I have successfully filled in a clamshell chip, and the radiating cracks, like that with the kit.

If it will buy you time to use a home chip repair, then consider it. However, the straight cracks radiating out mean that it is going to go at some point.

If MOT means getting a rando stopping you at any time because they see the crack shot across the windshield...then you are going to need to replace it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crankit posted:

I was driving home on the motorway yesterday when there was a loud crack, and then I saw i had a crack in my windscreen.

It was hard to get my phone to focus on it at all, but it's about 1.5" across on the tips of the crack lines, will a chip repair thing fix it, and get it to where it can pass an MOT?

Not sure how insurers handle things where you are but here (US) if the crack is shorter than the long side of a currency note they repair, if it's longer they replace.

I've had similar damage repaired before, they fill it with epoxy that fills in the cracks. If you know where to look there's a slight optical defect in the glass after the repair but I'd be surprised if they'd catch it during an inspection unless the inspector is very thorough and has a good eye.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
MOT fail size for a chip/crack is, afaik, over 1cm in drivers area of vision, 4cm outside that

Been rolling with a .8cm myself for the last 7 years

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That looks pretty drat deep though, and may even have something embedded in it?

A repair is certainly worth a shot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STR EMERGENCY

Changing plugs on the Brokeback. The lovely $2 spark plug socket came off the wrench and slid down into the spark plug well. I can't get it reattached.

Any ideas on how to get it the gently caress out? I managed to find my far better spark plug socket, it worked fine for the other plugs.

Found my misfire too.. the crimps on 2 of the spark plug wires just pulled off and stayed on the plugs. Plus the fucker has the original copper plugs... at 149k. :stonkhat:

2003 Subaru Outback, SOHC EJ series. I don't know if I can pull the valve cover without pulling the timing cover...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What about a magnet?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, magnet on a stick would be my go-to there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Really a big magnet on a flexible stick has been super useful in my life. Don't want to encourage you to spend money when you're trying to save but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

Really a big magnet on a flexible stick has been super useful in my life. Don't want to encourage you to spend money when you're trying to save but 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm sure STR has a brokeback hard drive sitting around somewhere. Crack that thing open, take one of the magnet out and tie a string around it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Can you get a hemostat down there?

Otherwise: extendable rare-earth magnet pick-up as already suggested.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Head Bee Guy posted:

You'll scrape the front if you take any sort of incline dead on. Approach from an angle and go slow. I have a 91 Civic that's lowered so much the mudflaps drag when cornering and a 2011 Miata that's at stock height and I scrape the front of it all the time. Just make sure nothing vital (oil pan, fumoto valve) isn't sticking down lower than your frame and you'll be ok. Both of my previously mentioned cars have fumoto valves and I've had no problems. All of this is assuming you haven't slammed your car so low that you only have a few inches of clearance. Good luck in that case.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wound up going to Harbor Freight and getting 13" long needle nose pliers. Not only got the socket out, but also the 3 ripped off ends of the spark plug wires (only 1 came off cleanly). Dropped about $40 on tools overall, knowing that if I got everything I thought I would possibly need on the first trip, I'd either need more tools, or return most of them. I returned everything except the really long needle nose pliers (how have I lived this long WITHOUT those, holy poo poo).

(pic shows lost spark plug socket removal by yanking the separated spark plug wire terminal out with the pliers...)

Between the new plugs, the spark plug wells no longer being full of oil (holy poo poo that was a massive smokeshow once I started it, since all the oil drained into the engine), and new wires... the car feels totally different. No more <500 RPM idle, no more severe miss at idle. Transmission is shifting downright aggressively, probably because the TCM has learned how I drive when the engine is running like poo poo (the only way it's ever run since I've owned the car). I need to disconnect the battery for a bit to force both the engine and transmission control modules to re-learn everything. It's a different car entirely.

The plugs have been changed before. So have the wires. Probably around 30k miles.... it has 149k now. Those plugs were beyond loving done. Ironically, the exact same plugs and wires went back in (part #) - the wires were definitely Carquest/Advance Auto (the replacements are identical right down to the markings on the cables), the plugs were very, very worn out NGK coppers. I think the original plugs from the factory were Denso, possibly? with a Subaru logo, though this part # for the plugs is in the owner's manual as a suggested replacement if Denso isn't available.

Old and new plugs side by side. Remember, these are the exact same part number plugs. I might need to do valve cover grommets...

There's a slight difference in how it runs. Very slight. /s (it's a massive difference, I can actually pass an 18 wheeler now!)

It's not an AI post without a firmly extended middle finger. :colbert: Why yes, that is oil running out of the spark plug well DESPITE THERE NOT EVEN BEING A SPARK PLUG IN THERE. The car smoked like an old Soviet-era train on a -20C cold start for a good 5 minutes from all of that oil running into the engine (every plug was like that). I kinda wanna post the video of the startup, but I was Master Shaky McShakerston thanks to low blood sugar, you can't tell what's going on in it. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 30, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Good job showing that gently caress who's boss STR.

Also, long needle nose pliers are amazingly good "gently caress, what do I do now?" tools.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I didn't think your Subaru should have been that slow! Yeah those pliers look like a great idea.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Good job showing that gently caress who's boss STR.

Also, long needle nose pliers are amazingly good "gently caress, what do I do now?" tools.

Agreed, especially the double jointed variety. They don't grip incredibly strong but enough for most things like extraction and positioning.

Also I was looking for a link and lol there's a Harbor Freight credit card! If I ever get a new tool chest I bet I'll have one in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those plugs look good. I mean, going through all that, I'd replace 'em too.

The oil in the plug well is what triggered a misfire code on my '07 Versa. I cleared it out, but haven't gotten around to replacing the valve cover / sparkplug well gaskets.