Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google announced today that they are pushing back the date for WFH until June of 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thomamelas posted:

I know this is a bit late, but I've used the PSWritePDF powershell module to split some PDFs. It seemed to work okay.
Looking at the documentation, it looks like it will either split each page into its own file, or split into files of X pages each; I need irregular splitting, unfortunately. Did you manage to contort it into doing that? Thanks for the help.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The healthcare industry is hurting. Because of this, Sr Executives are going to furlough workers in certain departments and campuses. Most are hourly workers or contractors, but a big chunk of them are salaried employes.

None of that is super uncommon but leadership has gotten into their head that they are going to furlough people 1 day a week and not weeks or whatever at a time. I was included to this info because there are going to be risks associated with breaking bad news to large groups of people like this and leadership wanted my team to be ready in cases of offboarding, litigation, etc.

So how do you furlough someone who is on a salary a day out of the week? I assume you tell them they can't work more than 32 hours a week which is fine I guess. But I specifically brought up the fact that we would have to disable their accounts for the rest of the week as they can't get access to their emails or access to work of any kind to protect ourselves. Everyone in ops is getting it into their heads that the logistics of doing that are going to be insane. Sr Leadership pushed back on this, saying legal said it was fine. I made a point that this could be a very similar situation to why you disable account access for folks going to fmla but so far its on deaf ears. How do you handle folks who need to work the weekend due to an emergency? How does PTO work? Nobody knows.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sickening posted:

The healthcare industry is hurting.

Bullshit. Bullllllllshit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I mean, I am a skeptic myself but its true. Even if you are part of healthcare that treats covid and other emergencies, it isn't a great revenue stream. Yes the healthcare industry is the worst in all the first world countries but its definitely not bullshit.

The money is all in electives, births, cancer treatment, and other services that aren't either allowed or folks are seeking alternatives.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I mean, having to actually provide care to sick people costs money.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sickening posted:

I mean, I am a skeptic myself but its true. Even if you are part of healthcare that treats covid and other emergencies, it isn't a great revenue stream. Yes the healthcare industry is the worst in all the first world countries but its definitely not bullshit.

I find it insanely hard to believe that an industry which has billions of tax dollars funneled into it while simultaneously refusing to cover just about anything until you hit a 9 thousand dollar deductible is "hurting". Ill stop now since this is the IT thread and this isn't an attack on you at all but I call total bullshit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Healthcare and insurance are two different industries.

Your doctor has as much trouble getting a check from insurance as you do getting them to be willing to cover something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Matt Zerella posted:

It actually is (well at least in respect to historical performance.) A huge chunk of money is made off of elective and non-emergency surgeries/procedures that have been put off by everyone due to the pandemic.

Depending on where you are, hospitals are overflowing with COVID patients or virtually empty (due to either fear or lack of ability to pay for that hip replacement because you lost your job 3 months ago.)

A pandemic is not a boon for healthcare.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Health insurers, drug companies and other medical equipment suppliers are doing well if not okay.

It's the hospital that are suffering from canceled appointments to delayed surgeries.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gabriel S. posted:

It's the hospital that are suffering from canceled appointments to delayed surgeries.

I know you're all telling it like it is but these talking points make me insanely queasy and angry.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gabriel S. posted:

My wife works for a surgical practice, anything that’s not out-patient has an insanely long lead time due to capacity issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gabriel S. posted:

Health insurers, drug companies and other medical equipment suppliers are doing well if not okay.

Medical equipment suppliers are not going bankrupt, but they aren't necessarily doing well (again, with respect to historical performance.)

An artificial knee has a higher margin attached to it than than a mask or gown. A drug company can't prescribe a $300 /month blood thinner if people aren't having preemptive stents placed.

And no, none of the huge hospital systems or tangential medical companies are going bankrupt or are even running in the red. Yes, objectively it sucks that healthcare is run as a for profit business and shouldn't be and there's healthy debate to be had there. But, as the companies are currently run (for profit or thinly veiled non-profit), their finances are like any other for profit company and the hit to the bottom line prompts them to take the same measures.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I find it insanely hard to believe that an industry which has billions of tax dollars funneled into it while simultaneously refusing to cover just about anything until you hit a 9 thousand dollar deductible is "hurting". Ill stop now since this is the IT thread and this isn't an attack on you at all but I call total bullshit.

Your anger about the system is very valid. It is however a tad misplaced at almost everyone that works in the healthcare industry. Insurance, pharma, and healthcare ownership groups are totally to blame.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sickening posted:

The healthcare industry is hurting. Because of this, Sr Executives are going to furlough workers in certain departments and campuses. Most are hourly workers or contractors, but a big chunk of them are salaried employes.

None of that is super uncommon but leadership has gotten into their head that they are going to furlough people 1 day a week and not weeks or whatever at a time. I was included to this info because there are going to be risks associated with breaking bad news to large groups of people like this and leadership wanted my team to be ready in cases of offboarding, litigation, etc.

So how do you furlough someone who is on a salary a day out of the week? I assume you tell them they can't work more than 32 hours a week which is fine I guess. But I specifically brought up the fact that we would have to disable their accounts for the rest of the week as they can't get access to their emails or access to work of any kind to protect ourselves. Everyone in ops is getting it into their heads that the logistics of doing that are going to be insane. Sr Leadership pushed back on this, saying legal said it was fine. I made a point that this could be a very similar situation to why you disable account access for folks going to fmla but so far its on deaf ears. How do you handle folks who need to work the weekend due to an emergency? How does PTO work? Nobody knows.

I’ve seen this in the public sector a lot.

If the state unemployment agency considers 1 day a week layoff eligible for unemployment, you used to get the full $600/wk offset under the recently expired CARES act.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sickening posted:

Your anger about the system is very valid. It is however a tad misplaced at almost everyone that works in the healthcare industry. Insurance, pharma, and healthcare ownership groups are totally to blame.

As long as we can agree that whoever sets ambulance prices is first to the guillotines then fair enough.

I had a roomie fall down steps at 3AM once and shatter two vertebrae. A Good Samaritan found her and tried to call her an ambulance and she told him she couldn't afford it so he picked her up and brought her to a hospital in a cab. Thankfully she's fine but Jesus loving Christ.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

My wife works for a surgical practice, anything that’s not out-patient has an insanely long lead time due to capacity issues.

My co-worker needs a hip replacement. He literally can't walk because it's bone against bone.

It's not even been rescheduled, it's completely cancelled.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Medical equipment suppliers are not going bankrupt, but they aren't necessarily doing well (again, with respect to historical performance.)

An artificial knee has a higher margin attached to it than than a mask or gown. A drug company can't prescribe a $300 /month blood thinner if people aren't having preemptive stents placed.

And no, none of the huge hospital systems or tangential medical companies are going bankrupt or are even running in the red. Yes, objectively it sucks that healthcare is run as a for profit business and shouldn't be and there's healthy debate to be had there. But, as the companies are currently run (for profit or thinly veiled non-profit), their finances are like any other for profit company and the hit to the bottom line prompts them to take the same measures.

Yes, that is true. I agree with you? :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

As long as we can agree that whoever sets ambulance prices is first to the guillotines then fair enough.

I had a roomie fall down steps at 3AM once and shatter two vertebrae. A Good Samaritan found her and tried to call her an ambulance and she told him she couldn't afford it so he picked her up and brought her to a hospital in a cab. Thankfully she's fine but Jesus loving Christ.

I am sure there is a long tragic story of incompetence and greed that got us to that point today and I completely agree with you. What I do know that is the EMT on board who has spent and continues to spend a ton of their life training to save your life is also getting boned. So is that nurse that processes you at the hospital. So is ER nurse scrambling to keep your body intact. The PA who is doing 90% of what a dr does for almost the same lifelong debt but not the same money is also boned boned BONED. Its all hosed my dude.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gabriel S. posted:

Yes, that is true. I agree with you? :shrug:

Yeah, I know and a lot of that was just general stuff. It just stings because my company is part of this whole mucky muck and we've had to freeze merit increases across the board this year and a chunk of our bonus (since it's tied to financial performance) is taking a hit. At the end of the day, we're all still happy we have jobs and are by no means hurting, but I've got good team members I can't reward this year due to this sudden turn and there's a real risk we could lose people to other industries in tech that haven't been hit as hard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

I mean, having to actually provide care to sick people costs money.

*Looks around half-empty hospital I work in*

Yup. And we don’t have many patients, so we’re not making any money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

We are in the same boat. Either lay 10% of the people off, or make everyone take a PTO day during each two-week pay period.

I have Friday off!

But I hope I don’t get laid off any time soon, it wouldn’t surprise me as I am the newest person in the department and my position was just created this year.

Which brings up the conundrum:

1. Work really hard and knock out this never ending list of projects so it’s known that I am a great worker and muy importante

2. Don’t work too hard because if I do all the poo poo that needs done what am I going to be needed for?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Better to furlough people for one day a week than just cut salaries by 1/5 or lay off 1/5. How do you stop people from working? You don't. That's half the reason companies are furloughing. They know people are afraid for their jobs and most will work extra hours to prove they're the best employees. My real answer is how do you make sure they only work 40 hours a week now? If you don't already have something in place then it doesn't matter.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Docjowles posted:

It really is amazing how much responsibility a manager can accumulate without having any idea about things like "total cost of ownership", "return on investment", or "opportunity cost". I've watched senior engineers spend way too much of their time babysitting garbage hardware because management refuses to buy anything new or under a support contract. You know the laundry list of complaints and wishes the business has for our service? Maybe if we weren't spending 50% of our time swapping dead hard drives in the data center we could make a little headway on that? But sure, $0 year after year on the Ops capex budget looks good to the execs, I guess.

My current employer has been galaxy braining itself into using the Community Edition of various open source tools and then having employees reimplement features from the paid tiers. Except badly and without vendor or community support, and at the expense of other more useful things they could be doing. Or gaining access to the 50 other features we'd get if we just bought the drat thing. Pushing back on this "if someone we're already paying does it, it's free" insanity is my current crusade.

I'm taking a business accounting course right now and this is the exact scenario that the book uses as an example of how NOT to manage capital budgets.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bob Morales posted:

We are in the same boat. Either lay 10% of the people off, or make everyone take a PTO day during each two-week pay period.

I have Friday off!

But I hope I don’t get laid off any time soon, it wouldn’t surprise me as I am the newest person in the department and my position was just created this year.

Which brings up the conundrum:

1. Work really hard and knock out this never ending list of projects so it’s known that I am a great worker and muy importante

2. Don’t work too hard because if I do all the poo poo that needs done what am I going to be needed for?

Never work more than the bare minimum.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Looking at the documentation, it looks like it will either split each page into its own file, or split into files of X pages each; I need irregular splitting, unfortunately. Did you manage to contort it into doing that? Thanks for the help.

I was splitting pages into files. I didn't try doing irregular. I have installed, when I get done teaching I can see if I can do it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Vargatron posted:

I'm taking a business accounting course right now and this is the exact scenario that the book uses as an example of how NOT to manage capital budgets.

In my experience companies that do that may be looking for a buyer so they clear the books in order to make themselves more attractive to buyers. A good sign of this is if all of the AP/AR folks in accounting suddenly have to check for any delinquencies and clear them up asap.

Also a sign is when your company pushes a new product or offering that is really not well planned or thought out. The idea is to get to market, sell, and then let someone else worry about clearing everything up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

In a slight change of subject, how does everyone feel about IT in different industries?

I've found government to be slow, low pay but decent job security along with doing good work to improve the world. Energy is alright. Finance is okay but stressful. Telecom is interesting just expect to see layoffs all the time with more jobs shipped overseas.

My first IT Internship was for a hospital. And the rest of my family is in the medical field and I've been thinking of making the jump but from what I've heard doctors are treated like infallible Gods and everyone else is garbage.

Pay doesn't seem to be that great either.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Investment/stock market/trading finance may be stressful, but the "slow" finances (banks, insurance, retirement plan management) are where I've made a comfortable niche for myself. There's enough money to do things (generally) right, but enough paperwork/management/regulations to curtail the worst of the "Why isn't it already done?".

I don't know if there's a matching sector in the medical fields. Maybe in the device manufacturers?

I spent years at an architect/engineering firm, and that wasn't bad either. There was some unreasonable rushes, but most of the folks were generally smart enough to know what they didn't know, and when to get out of IT's way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Medical (hospital) has been alright so far for me but they’ve been hit hard by corona

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Law firms loving suck, don't do it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Real talk, I almost got a job at one the major banks for a Cloud Administrator position. After speaking with the recruiter for an hour, we both got along and he put my application forward.

Not even a day later both of us found out it didn't have anything to do with cloud at all. It was for administrating VMware and Hyper-V Clusters. IT Management has had such a tough time with using the cloud due to all sorts of red tape they just refer to all their traditional data centers as a private cloud to keep management happy that they were still innovating.

This was only a few years ago. Hopefully things have changed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My philosophy: avoid Schools/Education, Lawyers, and Healthcare.
Everything else still sucks but the aforementioned are pretty much GUARANTEED to really suck.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Healthcare and Lawyers I get but why schools?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gabriel S. posted:

This was only a few years ago. Hopefully things have changed.

Works Hyper-V 2012 clusters prove that wrong.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Gabriel S. posted:

kid: repeatedly smashes Chromebook to the point of breaking it and discipline isn't doing anything to make him stop

"It's educational equipment so keep giving him Chromebooks"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gabriel S. posted:

No matter where you go, the entire IT department is 2 people and the entire establishment is comprised of Karens.
Everything is a pile of poo poo that was cobbled together 20 years ago (regardless of when you start working there) and nobody will ever spend money on anything.

Also the semester just started and "NOBODY CAN CONNECT THEIR IPADS TO THE WI-FI OH MY GOD WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR?!?!?" there was never wi-fi

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I should have stuck with landscaping as a career.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Auto insurance has been good so far. Some dipping numbers for one month back in April but we’ve had our usually growth since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Advertising is another industry to avoid. It's full of toxic personalities, outdated tech, low budgets, and unreasonable deadlines. the user base is even worse.