Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Now eighteen years old, Impact Wrestling (f/k/a a bunch of different names) put on a PPV six days ago to celebrate their birthday, and it proved to be a great show! While I'm not saying this is a turning point for wrestling in general, it's good to know that there's more than one promotion in North America putting out wrestling better than what WWE does. As such, I am creating a BRAND NEW THREAD for talking about Impact Wrestling, its TV program, and various other topics relating to the promotion.

ROLL CALL OF CURRENT CHAMPIONS

Impact World Champion: Eddie Edwards
Edwards, currently in his second reign as champion (his first in nearly four years), won the vacated title in a match also involving Ace Austin, Trey Miguel, Rich Swann, and Eric Young at Slammiversary. His next title defense is next Tuesday against Trey Miguel.

Impact World Tag Team Champions: The Motor City Machine Guns
Also in their second reign as champions (their first in a decade!), Alex Shelly and Chris Sabin put on a barn-burner this past Tuesday, winning the titles from the longest-reigning champions in the belts' history North. There will probably be a re-match.

Impact X-Division Champion: Chris Bey
Bey put on a MOTYC performance against Willie Mack last Saturday. Seriously, watch it. Mack already had his rematch, so Bey is moving on to a new contender (presumably).

Impact Knockouts Champion: Deonna Purrazzo
After a brilliant victory over Jordynne Grace to capture the championship, "the Virtuosa" now has new #1 contender Kylie Rae to worry about.

(self-proclaimed) TNA World Heavyweight Champion: Moose
Moose declared himself champion of a promotion that died, R.I.P., three years ago. Beat Tommy Dreamer at Slammiversary after yelling "I never watched ECW!"

BOUND FOR GLORY NUMBER SIXTEEN

Scheduled for October 24th. We'll see if the world is in a better place by then, but I'm betting it's going to be held behind closed doors due to the Coronavirus. Maybe they can bring back Lockdown as an event! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This company will outlive us

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tna

then
now
forever

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Sincerely love the TNA thread outliving the NXT thread

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Congrats to Impact for being a legal adult now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TNA sucks

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
ask yourself
ask your mom
ask TNA

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Taintrunner posted:

tna

then
now
forever

tna

then
now
always

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's something very :allears: about the idea that they're gonna revive the TNA brand.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wade Keller finally got viewership numbers for the company

163k this week, highest since May; up 7k from last week and 28k from two weeks ago
Tied their highest 18-49 viewership of the year
Viewership's dropped due to corona (147k average since April; 174k average in Jan, Feb, and March)
Still easily the most-viewed thing on AXS

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1286848046047866881

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Chris James 2 posted:

Wade Keller finally got viewership numbers for the company

163k this week, highest since May; up 7k from last week and 28k from two weeks ago
Tied their highest 18-49 viewership of the year
Viewership's dropped due to corona (147k average since April; 174k average in Jan, Feb, and March)
Still easily the most-viewed thing on AXS
My biggest takeaways from this are:

1. That ShowBuzzDaily not having AXS/Impact ratings is now much more confusing. It's not that AXS is never registering a rating; Impact's P18-49 number was well within the top 150. So does why would Mitch not get any AXS ratings at all no matter the number?
2. This makes Rentrak's numbers more credible, right? Since, by their measurement, NJPW was allegedly doing 200,000 viewers from the jump on AXS and only got better as the brand got hotter in the U.S.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Impact having television ratings, but they're not getting reported seems like something that would only happen to it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think it's because AXS isn't registered with Nielsen, which is why we never got any NJPW numbers either

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
TNA is old enough to join the Military!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Some stuff for next week:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1286111287894781952

Impact Wrestling: In Your Wrestle House is what I'm really looking forward to tho:

https://twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1286662418756640769

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SalTheBard posted:

TNA is old enough to join the Military!

That already happened, TNA was a child soldier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lggf4uBYLsg

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Half because of their production, and half because of their history, I find myself irrationally unable to give a poo poo about Impact. I'm sure they really are doing well and putting on good matches and all that, but I tried to watch Slammiversary and it just glided off of my brain like water off of a duck's back.

Joey Matthews might be a big part of it too, actually.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Really just watching to see Kylie Rae, Heath, and the MCMG.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Impact has a long history of tricking people into thinking this time they'll give you happiness, and now they're an irrelevant company while AEW is delivering on all the promise Impact ever had, so why buy into 'this time things will be different with Impact'.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

presumably due to the great show but yeah it's too drat hard to deal with josh

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

I think it's because AXS isn't registered with Nielsen, which is why we never got any NJPW numbers either

after Anthem bought out AXS, they changed it so they now report to Nielsen

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It would be nice for IMPACT to enjoy success. Because success might lead to money. And money means that maybe, WWE escapees will one more viable employment option waiting for them in the world. And every viable employment opportunity makes WWE a little bit weaker and a little bit closer to actually suffering some goddamn consequences. So go IMPACT!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Impact has a long history of tricking people into thinking this time they'll give you happiness, and now they're an irrelevant company while AEW is delivering on all the promise Impact ever had, so why buy into 'this time things will be different with Impact'.

Seriously, TNA has pulled the "we're better now! We swear!" card so many times in the last 10 years only to ultimately give viewers the same exact bullshit. I get that everyone wants WWE to change or die or whatever it is, but absolutely none of their actions will ever be dictated by anything happening with TNA.

Remember that this is the promotion that barely a year ago was filmed via Josh Matthews' cell phone and he had it swiped and passed around the crowd as he tried to get it back.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

overmind2000 posted:

That already happened, TNA was a child soldier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lggf4uBYLsg

"taken hostage by an oppressed dictator"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really get the instinct to be honest. Like, its a tv show not a relationship. If it interests you, check it out. If it doesn't, don't. If its too morally objectionable, that's fair. I'm not watching Impact at the moment for a number of reasons, not the least of them being that I don't get AXS and my interest isn't enough for me to go through the arduous process of opening the app. But like if I was so inclined I'd just be doing it for as long as they entertained me.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Yeah I'm certainly not saying "this time they've got it" because in the end they never seem to "get it", but as long as they have people I like on their roster (which they do) and keep doing things I enjoy then I can at least follow them for a while again. STAC Goat gets it. Let's be chill like Rosemary:

https://twitter.com/Rushlemania/status/1286950804067422213

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

For quite a while Impact has been the indy you fire up when they bring in a good act or you hear they had a good match but don't follow/invest in long-term. They change things up and reboot so often that they don't incentivise staying with them for long periods.

If this latest incarnation is long term, that's great, but their recent history suggests that this time next year they'll have a completely different roster and storylines with no connection to this current one.

That said, putting the title on Edwards (even though I think he's pretty boring) and emphasizing consistency is a good way out of that hole.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm giving Impact a chance because the PPV made it seem interesting and their TV being on Twitch and on Tuesday makes it insanely convenient to see every week. I can't as easily watch AEW Dynamite because I don't have cable, although I haven't missed one of the PPV's yet because they're extremely easy to get thanks to B/R. Access really is an important thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TNA is WWE if it weren't significant enough for people to care about. They've made the same intentional mistakes over and over, and generated the same recovery narrative over and over that turns "a fun brawl" into some glimmer of hope. I guess for some people consistent is the operative word in "consistent failure".

Personally I don't watch the product but it's always fun to read about WWE low card comedy dudes trying to get over in serious gimmicks. So failure, to me, is the operative word, and what keeps me interested. Is it a miracle that they let Willie Mack have a decent match on twitch? idk, but it sure isn't meaningful, and it's less interesting than whatever way they've hosed up their main event roster this week. If anybody's worth watching, they'll be more worth watching in another, better company.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I enjoy Impact Wrestling. The fact that they've got their far deserves some morbid respect.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

midge posted:

I enjoy Impact Wrestling. The fact that they've got their far deserves some morbid respect.

How? They've ruined lives, discriminated, sexually harassed and lost 100 million dollars.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

How? They've ruined lives, discriminated, sexually harassed and lost 100 million dollars.

The hallmarks of a successful pro wrestling enterprise, no?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

The hallmarks of a successful pro wrestling enterprise, no?

No you are supposed to make 100 million dollars out of being racist and misogynistic as gently caress. That's the carny code.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

MassRafTer posted:

The American Dream, no?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

midge posted:

The American Dream, no?

No that's dying poor and sick but it's ok because five guys in the country are fantastically rich despite being morons.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lol https://streamable.com/0fzb4f

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ok that was good lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

That was rude Mr. Dreamer.

Also I forgot it was Tuesday, but the twitch stream does a rerun on Friday so I can watch it then! How handy. Hope it was good.