Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Antigravitas posted:

"Republic of gamers" has to be ones of the all-time most cringy marketing things of all time.

And yeah, we have a bunch of consumer garbage as well. And on one level I can understand it. You have a grant of X money, and the price premium of a workstation filled with those GPUs is astronomical.

On the other, gently caress G*mers and their tacky garbage. Holy gently caress.

My motherboard has all this RGB poo poo and probably other components as well.

I just got a case with no windows because gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think computer cases should be neither seen nor heard. my ideal desktop machine is the absolute smallest box that can hold everything i need, mounted to the back of a monitor if possible or under the desk otherwise

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Weedle posted:

i think computer cases should be neither seen nor heard. my ideal desktop machine is the absolute smallest box that can hold everything i need, mounted to the back of a monitor if possible or under the desk otherwise

I like having space to work around in should the need arise, but otherwise yeah. It's the box my monitor cables hook up to and sometimes I poke a stick in the box.

It's not a LED extravaganza light festival for me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I got white LED lights in my case with a window and a white rgb keyboard to match my white/black desk and my white/black nzxt case :smug:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antigravitas posted:

"Republic of gamers" has to be ones of the all-time most cringy marketing things of all time.

And yeah, we have a bunch of consumer garbage as well. And on one level I can understand it. You have a grant of X money, and the price premium of a workstation filled with those GPUs is astronomical.

On the other, gently caress G*mers and their tacky garbage. Holy gently caress.

I have had one of their laptops for 4 years now. The marketing is poo poo but the laptop has been solid.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Antigravitas posted:

Did you just reimplement RANCID?

Not even close, it's < 40 lines of Python leveraging netmiko and has nothing whatsoever to do with configuration.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
One of the first things I did upon starting this new job was put GitLab in place and start consolidating all the one off python, powershell, and bash scripts from half a dozen individuals into a central location. Having useful scripts and the knowledge of how they work is so important.

Now to convince people that VS Code is the way and the light. Next script I get called 'dothings.ps1.txt' is getting punched in the dick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I started putting a bunch of my stuff in our gitlab repo, and set up a Jenkins instance to build some containers on update and push them to our server (all internal web app type stuff). Now I get complaints that it's too hard to troubleshoot because they can't ssh to a server and tinker on the scripts.

:ughh:

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
The Meta key stops working entirely in Plasma and this is infuriating.

What's a common solution, by those people who should throw their computer away?
"Simply change the shortcut to Alt+F1 and that solves the problem"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Two days after I started at new job, my manager quit. Found out today that her manager quit earlier this year and has yet to be replaced.

Also found out that historically, this department had 6 employees at my level. I'm #3.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Chance for a lucky promotion?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i s2g if i hear my boss say "i guess we should do it that way, but..." one more time i'm defenestrating her. we ended our contract with the 100% real company "Dude Solutions, Inc." because their ticketing platform is beyond terrible and i was like "great i have this spiceworks environment i started months ago that i can fire up and send out the submission link to." and she was like "fine" so i finished setting it up and sent out the form link and it's been going great for the past few days

today at our friday morning meeting she told me that she sees this as a temporary solution, because for ??? reasons, she wants someone else on our team to build some sort of homegrown ticketing system where microsoft forms exports the responses as an excel spreadsheet, which would then be interpreted by an access database and converted into individualized ticket records, or something. not my area of expertise but i am concerned that this might not get done because the person she wants to delegate it to is currently doing her monastic year in preparation for becoming a nun, so she's kind of hard to get ahold of. i asked my boss if she had an idea of when this might be ready to use and it was "a couple of months, maybe," but she also doesn't know when our colleague will be back from her postulancy, so i'm just going to keep using spiceworks until something changes (it won't)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spiceworks is bad

But rolling your own is worse

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh i know. i know!! i don't really like it either but if i didn't do this the alternative would be no ticketing system at all for the first several weeks of the school year, by far our craziest and most hectic period. imagine trying to coordinate five techs across three buildings to fulfill a million urgent support requests coming into our shared email inbox, our individual inboxes, and our voice mailboxes, not to mention all the ones where the people just stop us in the hallway and hope we remember what they said long enough to write it down (never happens). my boss is a lovely person but infuriating to work under. she has like a pathological aversion to efficiency or scalability and can't manage her time at all. this is why her office is full of 3d-printed knickknacks and disused surface tablets and our domain controller is on like server 2008 r2 or something

i'm here for two more years for the tuition discount, then my kid can transfer to public school. just hoping we don't have a covid outbreak or get owned by ransomware before then

e: get personally owned by ransomware, i should say. our lms provider, blackbaud, got owned earlier this summer

Weedle fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 24, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh snap, I got an email from our alumni office telling me that the Blackbaud breach had resulted in information I handed over to attend any events had been compromised, I wondered how much of a wider impact that had.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

tactlessbastard posted:

Two days after I started at new job, my manager quit. Found out today that her manager quit earlier this year and has yet to be replaced.

Also found out that historically, this department had 6 employees at my level. I'm #3.

Haha. Start rolling out those resumes now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh snap, I got an email from our alumni office telling me that the Blackbaud breach had resulted in information I handed over to attend any events had been compromised, I wondered how much of a wider impact that had.

it seems potentially quite large but of course they won’t say just how large. organizations much bigger than ours got hit though

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

grillster posted:

The Meta key stops working entirely in Plasma and this is infuriating.

What's a common solution, by those people who should throw their computer away?
"Simply change the shortcut to Alt+F1 and that solves the problem"

Meta is mapped to Alt+F1 though? Meta is a modifier key and having it do something on its own is a bit of a hack afaik, so it gets rewired to Alt+F1 internally afaik.

That may be different in Wayland, but on X it's weird.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Weedle posted:

our lms provider, blackbaud, got owned earlier this summer

Shocking.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Antioch posted:

Not even at a desktop level or anything?

It took me a second pass to get the joke.

Well played!

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Meta is mapped to Alt+F1 though? Meta is a modifier key and having it do something on its own is a bit of a hack afaik, so it gets rewired to Alt+F1 internally afaik.

That may be different in Wayland, but on X it's weird.

Thanks - that may get me closer to the solution. Currently neither meta or alt+F1 are working, which I think is the computer telling me "yes, it's time to nuke and reinstall."

It's just so nice being able to pop the menu with the meta key.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Antioch posted:

Not even at a desktop level or anything?

TheParadigm posted:

It took me a second pass to get the joke.

Well played!

This sailed right past me! :D

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Agrikk posted:

I hit the hardware performance limit on my music production PC and I’m in the rabbit hole of pc kit.

I'm in a similar situation with a MacBook but for graphics side of things. I've been using a server case (but single PSU) PC for a bit and the difference is stark. Here is the Task Manager on Windows when running the piece that is causing people the most concern:

Going from a single display to four displays, ...

:lol:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does it bother anyone else to have stuff named:

mail1
mail2
mail3
mail4
mail5

Every time a server is replaced/upgraded?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Server name shouldn't matter, set up a CNAME alias. :colbert:

So no, incrementing a number doesn't bother me. You gotta differentiate hardware somehow.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

mail1
mail2
mail3
mail4
mail5

It only pisses me off when there isn't a placeholding 0.

Also, the only correct way to name devices is by using the IATA code of the nearest airport: ORD-MAIL-01.

:colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Also, the only correct way to name devices is by using the IATA code of the nearest airport: ORD-MAIL-01.

:colbert:

Holy cow, another one that thinks like this!

Shot in the dark, but does this mean anything to you:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our systems got named by the method used by the company the first two guys came from....$5 billion dollar, 28,000 employee hospital.

So you have stuff like

MS-AS-SP01

Microsoft, Application Server, SP?, 01

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

lol if your server names aren't some UUID from a virtualisation provider

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Chicago can be difficult, if you're too close to downtown you have to go MDW not ORD.

Especially when the prefix changes across an aisle?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

mail1
mail2
mail3
mail4
mail5

For me it's servers named:

mail8
mail9
mail10

because goddamn sorting text is irritating

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

smail2
smail5
sdc3
sdc4
sdc6
ssql3

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I want to grab my vp by the shoulders, shake furiously while shouting “NO! NO! NO!” at the top of my lungs

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Three servers, named 'mail1', 'mail2' and 'mail4' and release them on the network.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I hate servers. I hate their loving hardware and their dumb service contracts. I hate their loving OS's with all licenses gimmicks. I hate firmware and OS patching of any kind.

PAS and SAS me anytime.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I hate servers. I hate their loving hardware and their dumb service contracts. I hate their loving OS's with all licenses gimmicks. I hate firmware and OS patching of any kind.

PAS and SAS me anytime.

I can’t empty quote this hard enough.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I sat in a meeting about a wordpress implementation that department wants to do last week. Of course they want to do it because its easy and cheap. Now I am a hard rear end because I asked them who is going to constantly patch the god drat thing and what is their plan to restore the site when it eventually gets hosed. Supposedly they didn't factor patching and DR at all and were unhappy at the additional costs this would generate.

Boo loving hoo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sickening posted:

PAS and SAS me anytime.

Amen. I used to be all excited when I got to work with massive 4U beast servers, but now idgaf. My company focuses on SaaS for any new applications as well as replacements for old ones, and my life is far better for it. I get to do far more interesting and useful work than spinning up a new VM. There’s still more than enough infrastructure work to go around for our team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
"Just" doing some pretty heavy lifting in that sentence.