Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

zogo.exe who're the bottom 10 for 3np

Gotta assume 'Toine is shimmying it up somewhere on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The Anthony Davis to Anthony Bennett dichotomy of Anthonies.

Does Karl-Anthony count? If so we're back to "Bad #1 pick Anthony"

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Oops wrong tab

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 26, 2020

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/TopBallCoverage/status/1287850421281681408?s=19

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Those arms are too long

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

Those arms are too long

I swear he has a second set of elbows or something

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1225698382888325120

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Metapod posted:

Those arms are too long

This is the tweet I should have shared. It has video; he looks good.
https://twitter.com/tirolibreNBA/status/1287907141869883392?s=19

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He moves shockingly well, this isn't Tacko Fall where he is huge, he has good skill for a 16 year old

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Redgrendel2001 posted:

no one should be that big at 16, I worry about his body not imploding

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Well he's got my attention at least.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He looks so good. If you could draft anyone regardless of age he's probably at worst third behind Bates and Cade Cunningham.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I have a feeling this guy may be how the Spurs stay relevant forever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

I have a feeling this guy may be how the Spurs stay relevant forever.

They're gonna have to really bottom out in the next two years to do it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MourningView posted:

They're gonna have to really bottom out in the next two years to do it.

Look at their contracts. They are about to have barely anybody on the team and Pop is going to retire one day.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Vince the Mince

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Redgrendel2001 posted:

How the hell does a 7'2 man move like that

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

wild, he’s so fluid at 16 despite being a gangly mass of limbs

i guess the only real question is how durable he is

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Getting Tsikitshlivi vibes

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't like how he lands, lower leg concerns. He'll need to put on weight for the pro game (NBA or EU) and for that he'll probably need to work on how he comes down. He's 16 so this isn't weird but that's probably the biggest thing for him right now.

Everything else about his game is pretty fantastic (in the few minutes of clips).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
How did Obi Toppin end up as a 22 year old sophmore?

Oh he did a prep school year and red shirted

That's unfortunate

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

How did Obi Toppin end up as a 22 year old sophmore?

Oh he did a prep school year and red shirted

That's unfortunate

He's only a day younger than Jayson Tatum lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He's only a day younger than Jayson Tatum lol

I don't want to write him off completely, we've seen the Raptors get good rotation guys by drafting older players. But it would suggest a lower ceiling than you might guess from just watching games

I guess the question is, can he fix his lateral mobility and become the ranging defender you'd hope for from a guy who's like a 6'9 center/pf, and I suppose you'd hope that his offensive skills in general improve. All that makes him a sort of safe pick for some teams and a bad pick for others, just based on what they've done with guys who had similar limitations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Age is a thing to factor in but I'm not flatly against drafting older guys at all. I have a decent number of seniors as first rounders or close to it right now. Age might put a cap on how much you can expect him to improve but he's pretty plug and play on offense already. Like you said the issue with him is his defense. He's really bad on that end even playing against crappy competition and it's hard to hide a bad defensive big.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't see highlights of super tall guys dominating without thinking about this
https://twitter.com/DesusandMeroVL/status/1009273382284726272?s=20

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Age is a thing to factor in but I'm not flatly against drafting older guys at all. I have a decent number of seniors as first rounders or close to it right now. Age might put a cap on how much you can expect him to improve but he's pretty plug and play on offense already.

Not that this isn’t generally the case, but e.g. Jimmy Butler was a 22 year old senior who might have improved more from game 1 to peak than any current NBA player but Giannis. Not to mention of course everyone drafted before the mid 90s, but obviously that’s a whole different environment

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

DeimosRising posted:

Not that this isn’t generally the case, but e.g. Jimmy Butler was a 22 year old senior who might have improved more from game 1 to peak than any current NBA player but Giannis. Not to mention of course everyone drafted before the mid 90s, but obviously that’s a whole different environment

Siakam was drafted when 22, as well, and also belongs in this discussion.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah there are exceptions. Where they're at in their development cycle also matters to some extent. Like Siakam was on a sharp upward trajectory when he got into the league and continued on it. Brandon Clarke is another older prospect who was clearly on the upswing, he was a totally different player at Gonzaga than he was earlier in his career at SJSU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Remember when all the draft news was that Siakam was going to miss two years if he played at all? I half wonder if that was something that other teams threw out there to get a shot at him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1289274486894858240?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Isaiah_joe10/status/1289624115792367616?s=19

I could see this being a good decision for him, he's not high on most mainstream boards and he's a way way way better shooter than his 3pt% this year would suggest (I think he had a legitimate case as the best one eligible for this draft), but I would have taken him first round this year personally. He wound up being one of my favorite guys in the draft.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i generally think staying in school is a bad decision, and i don’t know that there’s gonna be a season for him to actually play with the razorbacks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

i generally think staying in school is a bad decision, and i don’t know that there’s gonna be a season for him to actually play with the razorbacks

He wasn't really a lock to get drafted and if he did it'd probably be in the second which makes the potential lack of a g-league really important. If they do have a season he could improve his stock a lot and get into the first round, there is zero chance he shoots as low a percentage as he did this year again and arkansas could be really good.

I do really wonder if someone like Luka Garza, who is not an NBA player no matter what he does, decides to just go pro and take the certainty of a huge Euro contract rather than waiting around to see what happens with college basketball. Feel like smart Euro teams could lock up a bunch of the top g-league or second round type guys with the way things are looking right now.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I spent the evening watching a couple Maccabi Tel Aviv games for Deni Avdija, plus the requisite clips before summing up what I think

He's a really nice passer for a 6'9 guy, his handle is good for his size, he makes open threes when he has breathing room, his touch around the basket is soft, he seems like he has room to improve, even if he's not long armed or an elite athlete.
In his rare post ups he can exploit the mismatch, which is good for a 6'9 wing without elite speed or length, just putting an athletic 6'5 combo guard on him won't be an automatic stop.

Downsides, shooting in general is just ok. Teams were leaving no one to guard him, even with a head of steam, until he reached the lane. If he can't make say 36% of pull up threes, he's more of your third ball handler than secondary, and probably a bench player.
He's not strong, and NBA length will make some of his smooth finger rolls and lay ins much harder. His wide open shooting is good, NBA teams might give him those, so we'll learn about that pretty quickly.

Sometimes gets murdered on screens, and there's no scrambling back into the play just in time, he's out, like Trae Young or Dangelo Russell, once he gets hit.

Like Obi Toppin he really needs to become better at lateral movement if he wants to play NBA defense.

He only played so many mpg because Maccabi is a top team. Omri Casspi is the player that some people assume Deni is, but Avdija's strength is in passing and dribbling around bigs to get easy lay ins now, his ideal self is a distributor and a playmaker in a way Casspi only did in a small way, once in a while in Sacramento

Him being a 95% righty player is going to add some difficulty with all the smaller lefty ball snatchers in the NBA.

Quincy Acy was also on the court a decent amount for Maccabi, and he's still a beast.

This draft is really bad if he's a top 5 pick, but you can sniff the outlines of a solid player whose versatility can make things easier for his teammates, and generally give the team different looks. If you're playing hitting-his-ceiling-Anthony Edwards at 2, you'd want a best version of Avdija at 3(We saw the sad version of this with Wiggins/Saric in Minnesota.) If he can rebound better and lead the break, hit a trailer for a 3, he makes a lot of bench units better in transition.

I haven't seen the advanced stats projections for these guys, but I guess I can see the upside teams are seeing. I don't know how often 6'9 euro guards can stay guards, he's probably a 3/4.

What all these top guys seem to have in common is that watching them a little bit reminds you of similar guys who've failed hard in the NBA.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 2, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's definitely mostly a 3/4 in the NBA I think, he'd be at a pretty serious quickness disadvantage against most guards, and it's not like he'd be undersized as a big wing/small ball 4. I have him top 10 and he's a very good ball handler and passer for his size and age but I do worry that the shot isn't totally there and he can't score enough to be a starter in the NBA. Should have a pretty high floor just because it's pretty rare for guys who get serious Euroleague minutes that young to be outright bad, but might be just a 7th or 8th man, which isn't really what you're looking for that high. He did shoot much better after they restarted and seems to have worked on his form a lot, which is good, though small sample and I don't want to read too much into Israeli league stats given that it's a one team league and he's on the one team. Also still a really bad free throw shooter, which people insist is just a mental block and not related to his shooting everywhere else, but either way that could be a problem in the NBA if he winds up scared to draw contact because he doesn't want to take free throws.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 2, 2020

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
So he's basically Dario Saric?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

So he's basically Dario Saric?

saric is a little taller and a little bulkier and fits neatly as a modern 4, and can hit free throws and generally shoots better

i guess the player comp i’d make is maybe kyle anderson? that’s selling advija a bit short but it’s the closest to what his role will look like in the nba

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think he's a little more perimeter oriented than Saric and a better ball handler and athlete. Also seems like a slightly better defender to me. Saric is probably a fairly realistic low end outcome for him though, and the similarities between the two are why I'm a little bit lower on him than, say, the draft express guys.

College deadline to declare for the draft is today, so should be a lot of decisions incoming, though the NBA deadline is actually a couple weeks later so I suppose in theory a guy could say he's coming back and then declare again at the NBA deadline

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 2, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Quincy Acy was also on the court a decent amount for Maccabi, and he's still a beast.

I'm probably alone in this amongst Raptor fans here but I always liked Acy in Toronto, dude has strong work ethic

Also how would you guys rate the Israeli leagues collectively, quality wise?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm probably alone in this amongst Raptor fans here but I always liked Acy in Toronto, dude has strong work ethic

Also how would you guys rate the Israeli leagues collectively, quality wise?

Maccabi Tel Aviv is really good, the rest of it is kinda crummy. Still better than most college ball and a big step up over China or the Australian league that Ball and Hampton were playing it, but it's not at the level of the top European leagues like Spain or France on the whole. MTA plays in Euroleague though so you can see them against better competition for a few games.

Acy was cool as poo poo in college, all that dude did was throw down massive dunks on people's heads.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1283395346291400705?s=19

Xavier no!! I hate how izzo somehow manages to neg every good player he gets into staying an extra year.

I really don't get how in a draft like this some smart team picking in the late first doesn't promise him. Like he has some physical limitations but he's such an obviously good basketball player, and good at stuff that translates, I don't see how he isn't close to a lock to have a long career as a rotation guy.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1290009872491307008?s=19

Hooray for avoiding Izzo's tricks and lol Dickie V