Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

As someone who doesn’t own that Godzilla set but has been waffling on it for awhile...

How’s everyone storing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’m treating it as a coffee table book.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

dorium posted:

Awkwardly.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Kind of leaning against the wall on top of my Blu-ray shelves.

I love the collection, but I was really expecting it to be more the size of the Zatoichi box set or something.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have it opened on a shelf, next to my Bergman set and behind the Columbia 4K set. It's like a little shrine to my disposable income.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

As someone who doesn’t own that Godzilla set but has been waffling on it for awhile...

Flat on top of my rotating media tower.

My roommate had the best of intentions buying me that tower for Christmas, but it's the most impractical media storage ever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Godzilla Blu-ray set is the only movie set I've gotta store with my video game special editions because that's the only shelf I have that it'll fit in.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I caved and ordered the Godzilla set yesterday. I’ll probably store it with my stupidly massive Little Nemo books

Cloks posted:

It's like a little shrine to my disposable income.
:hmmyes:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Back to The Future 4K pre-orders are up

Best Buy Steelbook: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/back-to-the-future-35th-anniversary-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/6423196.p?skuId=6423196

Amazon 'Hoverboard' Edition: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DC6GXK7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do we have any screenshots or details on what's in the set? I assume it's just a rehash of the Blus for the extras (though fingers crossed on the longshot that someone listened to Stoltz about how despite them wanting to be respectful, he wanted the footage of him in the role released more than anyone) but man oh man do I not want to get burned on the image quality again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't own Back to the Future on any format so this would probably be a first day purchase for me. Even if the UHDs end up being a disappointment, the set also comes with regular blu rays so I see no downside in getting it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Found some details here. Includes some new extras, most of it sounds like jerkoff fandom nonsense but this is neat:

quote:

An Alternate Future: Lost Audition Tapes (NEW)– Get a glimpse of the BACK TO THE FUTURE that could have been with rare audition footage featuring now-famous celebrities.
Ben Stiller
Kyra Sedgwick
Jon Cryer
Billy Zane
Peter DeLuise
Thomas Howell

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's BTTF, so there's gonna be some huge problem with at least the first run

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the official site has this:

https://www.backtothefuture.com/news/2020/7/27/back-to-the-future-the-ultimate-trilogy-heads-to-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-and-dvd

quote:

BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ULTIMATE TRILOGY will be available on 4K Ultra HD combo pack, which includes 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™, & Digital Code and on Blu-ray™ which includes the Blu-ray™ & Digital Code.

4K Ultra HD is the ultimate movie watching experience. 4K Ultra HD features the combination of 4K resolution for four times sharper picture than HD, the color brilliance of High Dynamic Range (HDR) with immersive audio delivering a multidimensional sound experience.

BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE ULTIMATE TRILOGY 4K Ultra HD is available with HDR10+™, providing a premium HDR picture quality. HDR10+ transforms your movie watching experience with incredible brightness and contrast for each scene, delivering brighter brights and deepest darks.

Blu-ray™ unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.

Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.

The Movies Anywhere Digital App simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. Movies Anywhere is available only in the United States.

New bonus consists of over an hour of content:
THE HOLLYWOOD MUSEUM GOES BACK TO THE FUTURE - Join Co-writer/Producer Bob Gale on an intimate tour of an exhaustive exhibit of the films’ props and memorabilia.
BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL BEHIND THE SCENES - Get a sneak peek at the new musical show including a Q&A with the cast and creative team plus 2 new song recordings.
AN ALTERNATE FUTURE: LOST AUDITION TAPES - Get a glimpse of the Back to the Future that could have been with rare audition footage featuring now-famous celebrities.
COULD YOU SURVIVE THE MOVIES? BACK TO THE FUTURE - Explore the magic and science of Back to the Future and find out which laws of physics were actually violated in this special episode of the popular YouTube series.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I don't own Back to the Future on any format so this would probably be a first day purchase for me. Even if the UHDs end up being a disappointment, the set also comes with regular blu rays so I see no downside in getting it.

:same:

For whatever reason I skipped it on DVD, and just never got around to getting the Blu-ray.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Expected issues with the new BTTF set:

* Disk 2 is accidentally "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
* The third movie is the print made for Quibi and designed to be watched in portrait mode
* Levitating hoverboard catches fire once out on display

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

For whatever reason I skipped it on DVD, and just never got around to getting the Blu-ray.

The DVDs were so great at the time just because the wait was so long - it was almost 2003 at that point. But man that packaging sucked. Boring and bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Expected issues with the new BTTF set:

* Disk 2 is accidentally "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
* The third movie is the print made for Quibi and designed to be watched in portrait mode
* Levitating hoverboard catches fire once out on display

Immaculate 4k transfers of the TV edits of all three movies. Part III has a legacy USA Network bug in the corner

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

Immaculate 4k transfers of the TV edits of all three movies. Part III has a legacy USA Network bug in the corner

Ha, from memory this actually did happen with an episode of... Arrested Development I think (for the bug). And they accidentally used a syndication version for Community when that came out for one of the episodes. So yes, these are both possible!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

The DVDs were so great at the time just because the wait was so long - it was almost 2003 at that point. But man that packaging sucked. Boring and bad.

That makes sense. My parents had the DVD set, but I think we only ever watched the first movie once. By 2005 I had moved out and was living on my own so I couldn't justify the expense of a set, probably just had similar issues when it came to the blu set. Then it just got to the point where I figured I should just wait for a UHD, and here we are.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The movies have been frequently available on various streaming services as well, so there's been a few times in the past ten years or so where I've been in the mood to watch them but didn't feel the need to buy physical copies.

I guess one reason to wait for reviews of the UHD set is that if they're bad, you'll probably be able to get the previous 2015 blu ray set for like $20 or less.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just wanna chew on that dumb loving hoverboard like it's a stick of bubblegum.

It's no Collectible Chalk.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 27, 2020

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Man the cover for the new BTTF set is just not good:

It's not as awful as some (like the recent posters for Star Trek shows) but man I wish they would go for illustrations or something instead other than the mess of photoshopped together screengrabs. Even in its current form it'd be hugely improved by removing the characters and moving the logo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's just too bad BTTF doesn't have a dozen posters designed by the greatest poster artist of all time ready on hand.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If it helps any, Universal's UHD output has been overall stellar lately. Spartacus is shooting to the top of my "demo" discs.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My hometown still against all odds had a video rental store, open for 38 years, but the lovely rear end virus is forcing them to close. So many memories :(

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Almost Blue posted:

Man the cover for the new BTTF set is just not good:

It's not as awful as some (like the recent posters for Star Trek shows) but man I wish they would go for illustrations or something instead other than the mess of photoshopped together screengrabs. Even in its current form it'd be hugely improved by removing the characters and moving the logo.

Tom Wilson is the unquestionable MVP of the sequels. He carries Part II on his loving back, and and in Part III does so much you can barely even tell it's him.

They got him looking like a dumbass in the Griff helmet on the cover. Shameful.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I met the couple who make those hoverboard toys once. They're nice people. :)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My Severin order finally shipped, a full month after ordering.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My Severin order finally shipped, a full month after ordering.

Still nothing on my end. :toot:

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

VoodooXT posted:

Still nothing on my end. :toot:

Same.

One day...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why do these things just never use the loving poster art?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Why do these things just never use the loving poster art?

Competition with four hundred other movies on a rack instead of six other posters in a lobby

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Marketing to joe blow. They aren't selling to movie fans because they already know they'll buy it regardless of the art. The average shopper seeing the same poster art for 30 years will probably glide right past it. Using a new but familiar looking image will maybe get some schmuck in WalMart to take a glance and go 'Oh yeah, I remember this. Hell, I'll pick it up'.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Marketing to joe blow. They aren't selling to movie fans because they already know they'll buy it regardless of the art. The average shopper seeing the same poster art for 30 years will probably glide right past it. Using a new but familiar looking image will maybe get some schmuck in WalMart to take a glance and go 'Oh yeah, I remember this. Hell, I'll pick it up'.

I only buy movies from Walmart if Deadpool is on the cover

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

TheScott2K posted:

I only buy movies from Walmart if Deadpool is on the cover

Thus you have 17,372 movies

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I kept trying to buy Deadpool but all I ended up with was 47 copies of Office Space and now most of my friends won't talk to me because I kept giving them out as Christmas and birthday gifts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest, Walmart and Best Buy are pretty much the only places you can buy movies in store anymore. I live a lot closer to two different Walmarts than I do a Best Buy, making it a lot easier to just swing by the electronics department and impuse buy the UHD of Starship Troopers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I miss when Fry's Electronics had products. Their bluray section was aisles long and had tons of weird stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What are some good non-amazon sites to buy blu-rays? Especially ones with prices more or less in the same range. If it's like up to a five dollar difference I'm not going to freak out I just don't want to buy poo poo from Amazon anymore.