Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I know a couple of guys here buy used balls thru online sellers. Does anyone buy AAAA versus 5A balls, and if so, what's your experience.

I've been playing Snell and Cut balls, and I like them, and they're much cheaper than pro v1, but I played 9 holes with a new proV1 my last round and drat I remember how much I love that ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
a golf story:

last year I had finally broken through years of shooting in the 110-120 range (had never taken lessons, only golfed a half-dozen times a year, etc) to consistently get down in the mid-to-high 90s and was really excited for this year

my first time out this year i sliced the ball a few times and my dad said i should probably fix my grip because he thought my lower hand was too open, so i started closing it. then my uncle said he thought i didn't have enough mobility in my hips so i started trying to open them more. then i went for a fitting and the pro said he thought i would benefit from a stronger grip.

so i start accumulating all these things and tinkering and pretty soon i'm shooting 115 again with a completely over the top swing where no matter what i do (as posted earlier in the thread) i'm swinging diagonally on the ball. trying a hockey grip, trying a single plane swing, even trying a reverse grip (left hand lower), nothing is working.

yesterday i was hitting a bucket of balls before golfing owl's nest (slope 133) and on my last 15 balls i just decided to declare bankruptcy on all the things i had tried to change and go back to what felt most natural, complete with a comically open lower hand. i immediately started hitting the ball straighter; with a slight adjustment to close my face it sealed it. i played my best golf ever, shot a 92 despite some bipolar putting and losing two long tee shots in the rough the dusk.

the lesson of this story is: golf is stupid

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

a golf story:

last year I had finally broken through years of shooting in the 110-120 range (had never taken lessons, only golfed a half-dozen times a year, etc) to consistently get down in the mid-to-high 90s and was really excited for this year

my first time out this year i sliced the ball a few times and my dad said i should probably fix my grip because he thought my lower hand was too open, so i started closing it. then my uncle said he thought i didn't have enough mobility in my hips so i started trying to open them more. then i went for a fitting and the pro said he thought i would benefit from a stronger grip.

so i start accumulating all these things and tinkering and pretty soon i'm shooting 115 again with a completely over the top swing where no matter what i do (as posted earlier in the thread) i'm swinging diagonally on the ball. trying a hockey grip, trying a single plane swing, even trying a reverse grip (left hand lower), nothing is working.

yesterday i was hitting a bucket of balls before golfing owl's nest (slope 133) and on my last 15 balls i just decided to declare bankruptcy on all the things i had tried to change and go back to what felt most natural, complete with a comically open lower hand. i immediately started hitting the ball straighter; with a slight adjustment to close my face it sealed it. i played my best golf ever, shot a 92 despite some bipolar putting and losing two long tee shots in the rough the dusk.

the lesson of this story is: golf is stupid

Don't listen to golf meddlers.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

torgeaux posted:

Don't listen to golf meddlers.

my brother, who was with me that first time, wisecracked "bunch of 26 handicappers out here giving each other advice" and then the next hole told me I was too dominant in my right shoulder and should try something something something

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

everyone was very well intentioned! and I do think I have a pretty strange swing (again, no lessons, and a infrequent golfer up until last year) that could improve given shooting a 92 is not particularly distinguishing. but it was just so funny/frustrating to me.

in retrospect I can see why this happened: to the extent I was coming over the top and swinging at a diagonal out-to-in, opening my bottom hand forces me to bring my elbow back and keep my swing inside more reliably. I have short arms, a broad chest, and tight shoulders so this is maybe why I need some unconventional modification. it reminded me of some drill I had seen about using a ping pong racket to train yourself of how your bottom hand should work.

i had been reading a lot about moe norman in the last few weeks just because I found him to be a *fascinating* story both at the human level and at the "how should a golf swing work, exactly?" level. still going to keep working.

re driverchat: i've never been able to hit a driver but I also never knew you're supposed to tee your driver up near your front foot and sort of hit up at it. I got a ping g410 3wd with an xstiff shaft and yesterday was hitting it pretty straight, very high, and consistently 240-260, so I'm both tempted to try/get a driver and also tempted to just take that as good for my level of golf right now and prioritize other things like always keeping the ball in bounds, my putting, and my short game first

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't tell anyone poo poo about their swing anymore

You wanna get better, go pay someone, I don't need the stress

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Golf is the ultimate Dunning-Kruger mansplaining situation. Even elite golfers may not be able to effectively diagnose someone else’s swing. And perhaps most importantly, knowing what’s wrong with someone’s swing doesn’t mean you know how to fix the flaw.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya this is why I don’t give advise either. I know why/what my swing does and what to do with it. I couldn’t look at your swing and tell you poo poo other than that’s not what I do lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Advice: Course/hole knowledge, sure. The right kicks on the green, left is blocked, green slopes more left than you think.

"Why did you use a hybrid to chip?" Sure.

Swing adjustments, grip changes, should I go for it or lay up? Nope.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I give the same advice all the time, get an online lesson from monte scheinblum/Dan Carraher/etc and do what they tell you, in person lessons with a respected pro even better. Also to ignore any amateur swing advice unless they're a tournament scratch or better player.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Ok, I will admit, this may have gotten a little out of hand. Between the rain and everything being closed I’ve gotten a little bored.

Here’s my plan for changing Melrose Golf Course, an 18-hole Pitch & Putt municipal in Houston that currently is not fun.

First, the issues:

1. The course is poorly maintained. Last time I was there, half the greens were just sand and the other half had broken flagsticks.

2. The course is too long. 18 holes is too long for a Pitch & Putt and it takes about 2 hours to get through with someone who is not an avid golfer. Ideally it would be 9 or 12 to maximize fun and flow.

3. There is nothing else to do there besides using the mostly dirt driving range and playing golf.

So, here is what I’ve come up with:

This area, containing holes 3-8, is about 7.5 acres. Based on the sales price of acreage in the area, it looks like 1 acre is selling for about $350,000. Therefore, by cutting this portion off and selling it, they could make roughly $2.6m. This could go towards funding the rest of the project.

This is the current routing if we were to eliminate holes 3-8:

As you can see, there are a lot of holes where you are teeing off while someone on a different hole is trying to hit towards the green right next to you. Right now that’s not an issue as the course is empty most of the time however, were we to increase the amount of players on the course this could become very dangerous. Especially if we are marketing towards people who don’t regularly play golf.

Here are my suggested changes:

1.I would like to expand the driving range and add more areas for people to hit from. As it currently stands, there are no other driving ranges in the area so this would benefit people who want to practice but not necessarily play a round.

2. Add mats to the driving range to hit off of. I understand that it’s a lot better to hit off of grass however changing it to mats will allow more traffic and less maintenance.

3. Add nets at strategic spots around the course to minimize the danger from shanked balls. The goal is to get people who don’t regularly play golf out onto the course to have fun but these people won’t have perfect swings. Shanking or blading balls will be common so it will be best to alleviate these concerns.

4. Extend the parking lot. Add more spaces so more people can come to play.

5. Allow the clubhouse to sell beer and add a food truck into the newly expanded parking lot. You can also add picnic tables in between the clubhouse and driving range so people can hang out before/after their round or even in between if they would like to play more. This will cause them to spend more money at the course.

6. Reroute the existing holes to create a better flow or even eliminate 3 holes to make it a 9-hole course. This will allow people to get through a round in 1-1.5 hours. If you go the route of eliminating another 3 holes, you could sell off the area containing holes 11-13 for about $1.6m (~4.7 acres).

I think the 9-hole option would work best and I would suggest pricing it at $12 for 9-holes or $20 for all-day play. You could also rent a set of 2 wedges and a putter for $5 for people who don’t have their own clubs.

I also went through and did a rough draft of what it would look like if they updated the logo. Here is the current logo:

And here is my suggested change (note that I am not a graphic designer and this is just a rough draft):

Here it is on a hat:

So yeah, that’s my thoughts. I’ll see what y’all think and then I’ll probably forward it to Houston Parks & Rec and the company that manages the course. I think it has the potential to be a really fun course and with it being only 15 minutes away from Memorial, it could be a cool thing to do for people who come into town for the Houston Open as well as providing a much-needed practice facility in the area.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I appreciate all the validation upthread about why I hate and avoid giving/hearing advice on the course. My dad and brother do it all the time and it’s very well intentioned but very annoying; I sort of snapped at them the other day about “yeah, I know what’s wrong with my swing, I just don’t know how to fix it and neither do you or else you’d shoot better” and they haven’t said much since. I didn’t mean it or say it in a cruel way, it’s them trying to be helpful, but like others said it’s just a sport that is a magnet for a very specific kind of mansplaining.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I almost had a hole in 1 yesterday at my par 3 course. Idk, maybe that's cheating. 135 or so yards. My son in law saw it 90 the cup and roll down a few yards. I baptized 5 balls on the next hole, a thing I've never done either. So it evened me right out. Dumb game.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh what could have been if not for a few stupid shots. Back to back rounds under par though so can’t complain too much!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

I appreciate all the validation upthread about why I hate and avoid giving/hearing advice on the course. My dad and brother do it all the time and it’s very well intentioned but very annoying; I sort of snapped at them the other day about “yeah, I know what’s wrong with my swing, I just don’t know how to fix it and neither do you or else you’d shoot better” and they haven’t said much since. I didn’t mean it or say it in a cruel way, it’s them trying to be helpful, but like others said it’s just a sport that is a magnet for a very specific kind of mansplaining.

Some dude asked me about my golf clubs, and when I told him, he gave me this ad pitch like "Dude you gotta buy Vokey wedges, I can't be beat with them, they're the best"

I didn't say anything, but I wanted to say, "Bro, I'm a 24 handicap and I'm about to beat you by 20 strokes, maybe keep your thoughts to yourself"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I play my "home course" about 60x a year. For the last 5 years. I get lots of guys who have played it "once, last year" giving advice on where to play shots to.

I keep my mouth shut unless asked, even on the limited topics I'm willing to discuss. Had one guy of a two ball ask every hole, what's the layup, where's trouble, etc... Good questions, he was a solid golfer. His partner on the other hand did not want to hear anything, which is also fine. When guy one asked me about where guy two's best layup was, and I told him, guy two turned and shouted at me to shut the gently caress up, he didn't want to hear it. Lesson learned. Military guys, I'm assuming guy one was senior to guy two and therefor guy two could not yell at guy one.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

I almost had a hole in 1 yesterday at my par 3 course. Idk, maybe that's cheating. 135 or so yards. My son in law saw it 90 the cup and roll down a few yards. I baptized 5 balls on the next hole, a thing I've never done either. So it evened me right out. Dumb game.

135 is a legit distance Mambo and hole in ones be hole in ones. I might not brag (much) about one if I had it on a 50 yard pitch and putt hole but 135 is legit.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I stuck my tee shot 6" from the pin with my gap on a 120 yard par 3 last Friday and the feeling of elation was soon overtaken by the "well that's as close as I'll ever get to a hole in one and it didn't roll in." never golf

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

I stuck my tee shot 6" from the pin with my gap on a 120 yard par 3 last Friday and the feeling of elation was soon overtaken by the "well that's as close as I'll ever get to a hole in one and it didn't roll in." never golf

God hates you.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Matt do you still have that Nike Ignite Putter? My loving 2 ball has failed me one too many times. I tried my buddy's Scotty and immediately putted better. I'd like a cheap blade style to see if I really am better with it versus a mallet.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kirios posted:

Matt do you still have that Nike Ignite Putter? My loving 2 ball has failed me one too many times. I tried my buddy's Scotty and immediately putted better. I'd like a cheap blade style to see if I really am better with it versus a mallet.

I think he sold it to some jack wagon from Minnesota.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

I think he sold it to some jack wagon from Minnesota.

I think we're at the point where we've all touched each other's shafts itt

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

torgeaux posted:

God hates you.

believe me I know. rolled 45 deg back-right instead of back left

Petey fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 28, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

I do still have the Ignite, it was the Method that I sold to the jack wagon :)

Shoot me your email and I'll take some pics of it at lunch to make sure you still want it and we can work out a price :)

edit: email address prob will help. mattfl @ gmail

mattfl fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 28, 2020

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Saturday was my worst round of the year and Sunday was a frustrating/grindy +4, both in tournaments. So of course today in a round that means nothing I do this.

This game is stupid.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Looking to get a mat and net for the back yard. What are some decent net options? I feel like I’ll need something on the sides as I’m sure I’ll toe more in the future. Trying to look online I’m seeing the Netreturn for $800 with sides and $100 amazon specials. My biggest concern would be flyers. Is there a middle ground here price wise?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Get a poo poo net and put a $50 painting tarp behind it.

rohoku
Jul 9, 2014

torgeaux posted:

I play my "home course" about 60x a year. For the last 5 years. I get lots of guys who have played it "once, last year" giving advice on where to play shots to.

I keep my mouth shut unless asked, even on the limited topics I'm willing to discuss. Had one guy of a two ball ask every hole, what's the layup, where's trouble, etc... Good questions, he was a solid golfer. His partner on the other hand did not want to hear anything, which is also fine. When guy one asked me about where guy two's best layup was, and I told him, guy two turned and shouted at me to shut the gently caress up, he didn't want to hear it. Lesson learned. Military guys, I'm assuming guy one was senior to guy two and therefor guy two could not yell at guy one.

Get these guys roll through my home course once a year or so. I never give advice unless asked - been burned too many times by the "I didn't ask, so don't talk".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Email from the USGA:

quote:

Dear USGA Member,

We hope this note finds you safe and healthy during these unprecedented times.

As a valued part of the USGA community, we would like to let you know that due to ongoing health and safety concerns from the COVID-19 pandemic, the USGA, in partnership with the state of New York, will announce this morning that the 120th U.S. Open Championship scheduled to be played Sept. 17-20 at Winged Foot Golf Club, in Mamaroneck, N.Y., will now be conducted without spectators on site.

As you can imagine, this was a difficult decision to make and is one that followed months of consultation and scenario planning with local and state health officials. While we will certainly miss the palpable excitement of the crowds and what their presence brings to the competition, we believe this is the right decision for the safety of all involved.

For those of you attending or planning to attend, we are sure this sparks a lot of questions for you and know that we stand ready to assist. Shortly, those who have purchased tickets will receive a separate email with details on the refund process.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Love the advice chat, I hate unwanted advice on the course, but I also hate when asked for advice from my mom, because hell if I know what she needs to do.

The only advice I give is to my dad, because he has a tendency to move the ball really far back in his stance with his driver and it causes him to hit these nasty duck hooks as he’s trying to flip the club face quick before impact. A lot of times I’ll watch through the round and he’ll slowly but surely keep putting the ball further and further back in his stance.

I’ll just give him a quick ‘dad, looks like you’re hitting a sand wedge not a driver’.

But that’s because it’s a totally known and agreed upon issue. Other than that I’ll keep my mouth shut, especially with people I don’t know.

This was reinforced the other day when I brought my wife to the driving range as she showed an interest for the first time in like ten years. I helped her with her grip and stance, but then I was like, ‘how the F do I explain how to swing?’ I gave her some general tips and quickly decided we should get her a beginners lesson. Turns out it’s really friggin complicated to explain how to swing a golf club.

Hold the club like this, stand like this, bend your knees like this, bring the club back this far, at this angle, shift your weight like this, hot the ball, etc etc.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok, ordered 5A mint Pro V1s from lostgolfballs.com. Unimpressed.

Bought 4 dozen, got 52 balls....nice. Also, clearly refurbished, repainted. No balls have pen marks, some are matte finish instead of glossy, 4 or 5 have something stuck in the paint where they were rolled while the paint/coating was wet. One has a literal hole that is filled. Even the "good" ones have a repeated hair like line in the coating/paint that recurs over several balls.

Anyone else with a problem order from them?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

torgeaux posted:

Bought 4 dozen, got 52 balls....nice. Also, clearly refurbished, repainted. No balls have pen marks, some are matte finish instead of glossy, 4 or 5 have something stuck in the paint where they were rolled while the paint/coating was wet. One has a literal hole that is filled. Even the "good" ones have a repeated hair like line in the coating/paint that recurs over several balls.

I've ordered from them 4-5 times and never had an issue but I'm not buying Pro V1s. Sucks that so many were rough.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Wow, my last batch of pro v1s came from them and besides from logos/marker lines they were all in excellent condition and not a single one was refurbished. Make sure to email them about this as they should not be sending refurbed balls in their 5a rating.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I can't believe you guys still lose (or wear out) enough balls to worry about this.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Wow, my last batch of pro v1s came from them and besides from logos/marker lines they were all in excellent condition and not a single one was refurbished. Make sure to email them about this as they should not be sending refurbed balls in their 5a rating.

The fact that no balls have logos and none have any players marks was a bit of a give away. I've never heard any bad reviews, so I'm assuming just a mistake and we'll be cross shipping replacements.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’ve always had great luck with LGB, as well as customer service.

Years ago I ordered some callaway balls and like two of the Bally’s out of my 4 dozen HX Blue were warbirds. I sent them an email letting them know, but not asking for a refund or anything, and they sent me another dozen for free.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DoctaFun posted:

I’ve always had great luck with LGB, as well as customer service.

Years ago I ordered some callaway balls and like two of the Bally’s out of my 4 dozen HX Blue were warbirds. I sent them an email letting them know, but not asking for a refund or anything, and they sent me another dozen for free.

I have to think it was just an issue where I was sent the wrong product. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'm expecting good customer service. This is so obviously not 5A balls, it has to be a screw up not a screw job.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Keyser_Soze posted:

I can't believe you guys still lose (or wear out) enough balls to worry about this.

I usually play poo poo courses in Orlando, so i lose alot of balls. So yesterday i play a decent course, with huge fairways.(Eagle Creek).
I'm hitting the fairway all day but in the first 5 holes i lose a few balls over-shooting the greens! I clubbed down and never lost another ball after the 8th.
Golf is weird, i'm terrible at it but it's so much fun!
I just started really this year due to covid and having way too much free time.I had a bag for a decade but really only played twice a year for guys weekends. Now i can actually play a little.
I think the simplest thing any guy can do is take your time addressing the ball. Men are stubborn, my game completely changed when i started taking practice swipes on every single shot.Also i do a certain thing to make sure i am neither too close of too far from the ball.(handle on hip,pushing chest out shoulders up).Now these things are told to every newbie golfer but i think guys stop doing it after awhile.
If you are slicing on almost every drive it's more then likely your stance and not your swing, unless you have no swing!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

chilihead posted:

I usually play poo poo courses in Orlando, so i lose alot of balls. So yesterday i play a decent course, with huge fairways.(Eagle Creek).
I'm hitting the fairway all day but in the first 5 holes i lose a few balls over-shooting the greens! I clubbed down and never lost another ball after the 8th.
I just started really this year due to covid and having way too much free time.I had a bag for a decade but really only played twice a year for guys weekends. Now i can actually play a little.
I think the simplest thing any guy can do is take your time addressing the ball. Men are stubborn, my game completely changed when i started taking practice swipes on every single shot.Also i do a certain thing to make sure i am neither too close of too far from the ball.(handle on hip,pushing chest out shoulders up).Now these things are told to every newbie golfer but i think guys stop doing it after awhile.
If you are slicing on almost every drive it's more then likely your stance and not your swing, unless you have no swing!

Hey fellow Orlando golf goon! Lemme know if you ever want to get out. Eagle Creek is a great track!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

chilihead posted:

People are generally love/hate with him, but George Gankas has a great video about repeating your same motions every time you address the ball. He says to stand two paces directly behind the ball, take your two steps to get into your setup, waggle, and then go. If you do it every time it becomes part of your routine and it's a way for you to clear your head mentally for each shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Is it weird that I generally feel very comfortable just stepping up to the ball and hitting it, EXCEPT on the green?

I am constantly messing with my stance, setup, and stroke on the greens. I can’t stop double guessing myself, especially on where to put the ball in my stance.

Also, have watched a few of those short Rick Shiels videos, which just started popping up as ads on Facebook. Some of them are pretty good, one especially about putting back spin on wedge shots. I’ve never really spun the ball back, it always stops quick, but never zips back.

He walks through it well, biggest aha was shaft lean. I’ve always had a fairly aggressive forward shaft lean, and since moving that to be more neutral I’m actually spinning the ball nicely!