Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who has physique on Mike Perry?
This poll is closed.
No One 13 30.95%
Francis N'gannou 29 69.05%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Idunno that's a freakshow train wreck that I'm not going to want to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

That's just somebody trolling I think, although the actual main event of that card is still a trashweight spectacular of Derrick Lewis vs. Alexey Oleinik

I will not abide trashing of Derrick Lewis

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Both Derrick Lewis and Alexey Oleinik loving own. Also on that card, Beneil Dariush (POTN in his last 3 fights) vs Scott Holtzman, Bruce Leeroy vs Giga Chikadze, Nasrat Haqparast vs some dude, actually looks like a pretty solid card.

smertrioslol posted:

:hmmyes:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't ruin my dream of a Duffee/Villante main event you goons. :argh:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

smertrioslol posted:

I'm actually greatly looking forward to that fight and I hope neither man finishes it in the first so we can enjoy the full extent of their gassing out over five rounds

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I'm actually greatly looking forward to that fight and I hope neither man finishes it in the first so we can enjoy the full extent of their gassing out over five rounds

I don't think I've ever seen Oleinik gassed, and now that he's discovered the secret of laying down instead of sitting on his stool between rounds, I don't think I ever will.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Gassed or not Lewis can always just knock him out. I'm looking forward to him also just standing up when oleinik tries to grapple. Great match up.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Never Back Down 2 star Todd Duffee!?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Brut posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Oleinik gassed, and now that he's discovered the secret of laying down instead of sitting on his stool between rounds, I don't think I ever will.

He doesn't reach Dada 5000 heart failure levels of gassed but he's always breathing hard after a round, still dangerous in that state though. I forgot about him straight up lying down to rest in his last fight, lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We're finally going to answer the most pressing question in modern physics:

How do you Ezekiel choke that which has no neck?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Giblert much like his horse faced compatriot can only win when juicing, and even then they never reached the top.

"all these motherfuckers are on steroids" - nate diaz, training partner of gilbert melendez and jake shields

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

"all these motherfuckers are on steroids" - nate diaz, training partner of gilbert melendez and jake shields

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
...you're on steroids

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, he was nowhere near beating pettis. He got guillotined because he got outstruck and hurt by a punch.

I haven't watched it since it happened, but I thought he was winning until he got decked by Pettis and tried pushing him against the fence again. He was doing a lot of takedowns that didn't go anywhere except burn Pettis' energy.

e: all I could find were recaps. This one seems about how I remember it:
https://www.mmamania.com/2014/12/7/7343101/ufc-181-results-recap-anthony-pettis-vs-gilbert-melendez-fight-review-analysis-mma

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't watched it since it happened, but I thought he was winning until he got decked by Pettis and tried pushing him against the fence again. He was doing a lot of takedowns that didn't go anywhere except burn Pettis' energy.

e: all I could find were recaps. This one seems about how I remember it:
https://www.mmamania.com/2014/12/7/7343101/ufc-181-results-recap-anthony-pettis-vs-gilbert-melendez-fight-review-analysis-mma

He was pressing him into the wall and winging punches that weren't landing. He was getting countered a fair bit and then one finally hit him at the right angle. If giblert was beating him it was in a way that directly lead to him losing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Biafraid posted:

...you're on steroids

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Can someone explain to me why Whittaker is good at fighting his striking against Till looked like the bad heavyweight style where you stand there for a bit charging up then run forward winging random punches hoping for the best.

Edit: I am thinking more of his punches than his kicks. Also I don't know anything so please enlighten me or w/e

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 28, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This was a significantly less technical fight than his previous fights have been, absolutely. He didn't seem to be super comfortable fighting at the range? He over-commits a lot to be sure. Especially that winging overhand right. He's got a really good jab and when he stuck Till on the end of it he had a lot of success.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

awesomeolion posted:

Can someone explain to me why Whittaker is good at fighting his striking against Till looked like the bad heavyweight style where you stand there for a bit charging up then run forward winging random punches hoping for the best.

im not a fightologist, but whitaker is really good at mixing up attacks, but not in a flashy way. his blitzes are very fast as well as powerful and he can keep doing them for five rounds against the best, while executing them well enough to usually avoid counters. if he does get hit, his composure when under heavy fire is awe-inspiring.

Memento posted:

This was a significantly less technical fight than his previous fights have been, absolutely. He didn't seem to be super comfortable fighting at the range? He over-commits a lot to be sure. Especially that winging overhand right. He's got a really good jab and when he stuck Till on the end of it he had a lot of success.

the jab was hard to get off against a southpaw counter puncher and i think the open angle is what made him go for the overhand right all the time. he looked like he didn't want to stay in the pocket against the till's left, which reportedly hits really hard.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 28, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

crepeface posted:

im not a fightologist, but whitaker is really good at mixing up attacks, but not in a flashy way. his blitzes are very fast as well as powerful and he can keep doing them for five rounds against the best, while executing them well enough to usually avoid counters. if he does get hit, his composure when under heavy fire is awe-inspiring.

That last point is such a good attribute of his. The number of times Yoel had him in a position that would have finished almost anyone else in the division, across two fights, was astounding. Bobby wrestling his way out of danger in the early going of their first fight had me standing on my chair yelling at the TV

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

awesomeolion posted:

Edit: I am thinking more of his punches than his kicks. Also I don't know anything so please enlighten me or w/e

jack slack loves him and has said this about his punching:

quote:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/robert-whittaker-rise-of-the-reaper

More interesting is Whittaker's ability to manipulate rhythm on his jab. Rafael Natal made it clear that he was looking to swing a counter each time Whittaker stepped in to punch. To exploit this, Whittaker feinted often, faking out the counter fighter.

https://gfycat.com/KindlyImperturbableBellsnake
https://gfycat.com/velvetyenlighteneddairycow

And this is what makes the difference between a good striker someone with perfect form. Whittaker doesn't always throw his strikes in textbook fashion by any means but he does have a very good grasp of how to make his opponent's intentions work to his advantage. There is still plenty about Whittaker's game that is wild and devil may care. He will look for shifting left hooks, running left hooks, and even superman lead hooks which often see him fall over himself but occasionally score the bigger punches between his scientific striking.

this was before the jacare fight and it reminded me that we haven't seen much of his left hook for awhile! maybe the fights against southpaws (izzy fights right foot forward, doesn't he?) make getting outside lead foot position too difficult. i think against them, he tends to give them the outside foot position and use his jab instead.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 28, 2020

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Cool thanks for your thoughts all, makes more sense now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Memento posted:

As bad a fall as post-USADA Johny Hendricks? No. But a fall, nonetheless.

Bigg Rigg was such an anomaly. A guy like shields or giblert has a certain amount of natural talent that shines through even without gear. They just needed juice to hang with the best in the world (who were also juicing).

Johny fell so hard without juice that his last couple of UFC fights were punctuated by him buring his head in crotches to avoid strikes before getting knocked out by an adult film actor in a z-league bareknuckle boxing league. At least he dealt with the fitch problem.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I don't know if he'll fall as far as Johny but Weidman is another one who's looked just terrible since USADA started testing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Nice! posted:

getting knocked out by an adult film actor in a z-league bareknuckle boxing league.

The reason that no one has fallen as far as Hendricks is that he never got paid for that

he suffered that loss without earning a single loving cent

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

As much as I'm in favour of trashing Jake Shields has he ever actually popped? I know he had one fight turned over to a no-contest for what sounded like a dressing room violation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

As much as I'm in favour of trashing Jake Shields has he ever actually popped? I know he had one fight turned over to a no-contest for what sounded like a dressing room violation.

He popped for a masking agent.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Khabib vs Gaethje, October 24th

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Shocking news. Wouldn’t have held it against Khabib had he taken till 2021. Hope his minds right and can’t wait for it

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

That is going to be PPV of the year right there.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I doubt Weidman is a USADA victim. He made his name on performing really well on short notice fights. I still think he's pretty talented. He just had a really rough run right when the MW division started popping off.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Shadow225 posted:

I doubt Weidman is a USADA victim. He made his name on performing really well on short notice fights. I still think he's pretty talented. He just had a really rough run right when the MW division started popping off.

Weidman started to drop off when the IV re-hydration was outlawed. I don't think it was as much PED as that was a huge part of his weight cut and strategy.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ah yeah, thanks for the reminder. I do remember that drop off.

I feel like maybe they could reintroduce IV hydration if they are monitoring the weight cuts by weight now?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Shadow225 posted:

Ah yeah, thanks for the reminder. I do remember that drop off.

I feel like maybe they could reintroduce IV hydration if they are monitoring the weight cuts by weight now?

The iv ban wasnt to curtail weight cutting to make it safer. Saline is an effective masking agent for a range of PEDs and they can't detect saline in a blood test, but they can detect plastic particles from the drip equipment.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bluedeanie posted:

The iv ban wasnt to curtail weight cutting to make it safer. Saline is an effective masking agent for a range of PEDs and they can't detect saline in a blood test, but they can detect plastic particles from the drip equipment.

I mean I am an unabashed Wide Man Fan, but I really do not think he was on gear. I think he was just not able to cut weight and re-hydrate like he was before the IV ban.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

kensei posted:

I mean I am an unabashed Wide Man Fan, but I really do not think he was on gear. I think he was just not able to cut weight and re-hydrate like he was before the IV ban.

I agree with you on all points, wasn't refuting you. Just saying reinstating the IV ban won't happen due to changes in weight cut monitoring because the ban did not directly have anything to do with weight cutting.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Brut posted:

I'm not trying to say the concussion had nothing to do with it, but maybe don't go on a multi-hour hike dehydrated regardless of whether or not you got knocked out last week.

Isn't this how Evan Tanner died?

Shadow225 posted:

How did he get two title defenses with thst record

First one he got, he came fresh from Strikeforce and held his own against Benson Henderson in a pretty interesting tactical stand up fight.

Southpaugh posted:

Gassed or not Lewis can always just knock him out. I'm looking forward to him also just standing up when oleinik tries to grapple. Great match up.

Has Lewis ever gone a full five rounds?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Platinum Mike Perry has procreated and is having a boy, Platinum Jr.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I think I'm about at the end of the Platinum journey. It was fun and interesting for a bit, but now it just seems like I'm enabling mental illness by reacting to him. Things aren't going to go well for him over the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What's the thread title from? I keep reading it to heyyyyy sexy lady from Gangnam Style