Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Something to make light armor worth it instead of kitting out yourself and your clan with the highest tier gear possible. I want those baggy trunks to increase swing speed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Schwza posted:

Something to make light armor worth it instead of kitting out yourself and your clan with the highest tier gear possible. I want those baggy trunks to increase swing speed!

That is something I'd like to mod in the future once it's possible to mod deeper safely (like I'm doing now), which is to basically make bonuses for certain items. i.e. run speed, swing speed, and other skill bonuses, etc. It would be pretty great.

At the moment though in the mod I do have it so the armour quality bonuses work correctly, so you get much better light armours later.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they expand the party system. Having NPC parties in your clan wander around is a neat idea but I wish you could set their home area, the area in which they patrol, what they engage with, limit their party size and all that stuff.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I just am getting into this game but can't understand how caravans work. I've had one running now for maybe 2 weeks but it doesn't seem to be generating or losing me any gold, and in fact I can't see anything about it in any of the clan screens. Where does it show up if it is making money? How do I tell how it's doing?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Carillon posted:

So I just am getting into this game but can't understand how caravans work. I've had one running now for maybe 2 weeks but it doesn't seem to be generating or losing me any gold, and in fact I can't see anything about it in any of the clan screens. Where does it show up if it is making money? How do I tell how it's doing?

it should be in the parties screen. it could also have been attacked by an enemy or bandit party and destroyed (it's very easy to miss the notification). if you don't see it in the parties screen you should look at the members screen to see where the companion you put in charge is located as being. they may have been captured then escaped and you can go pick them up

if the companion is listed as "HOLDING" (in caps) or waiting at some remote aserai village then they've escaped but are stuck in purgatory due to a bug and won't respawn so you need to download the telepathy mod to talk to them and get them to rejoin

e: if it's still alive you can see its contribution to your daily money change in the clan money screen

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

it should be in the parties screen. it could also have been attacked by an enemy or bandit party and destroyed (it's very easy to miss the notification). if you don't see it in the parties screen you should look at the members screen to see where the companion you put in charge is located as being. they may have been captured then escaped and you can go pick them up

if the companion is listed as "HOLDING" (in caps) or waiting at some remote aserai village then they've escaped but are stuck in purgatory due to a bug and won't respawn so you need to download the telepathy mod to talk to them and get them to rejoin

e: if it's still alive you can see its contribution to your daily money change in the clan money screen

Ok I see it under caravan but when I hover over finance there's nothing indicating Caravan income. The caravan is moving around right now at Ocs hall, but yeah not seeing any cash flow in either direction.

EDIT: ok is it the number after 30/30 that 55? As I said it doesn't seem to be included in my finance tab as the current workshop income is 282.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 23, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think it just hasn't made money yet.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ah well thanks, everything I saw online said at most a week, but hopefully it starts paying back a little soon.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Have there been updates/improvements to multiplayer since release? The matchmaking/dumping you to the menu after every battle was pretty lame.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Carillon posted:

Ah well thanks, everything I saw online said at most a week, but hopefully it starts paying back a little soon.

I've found that caravans basically do jack poo poo since they changed them a while back. Much better to just buy a few breweries.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

why am I redownloading the entire game

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Looks like the beta branch got promoted to the mainline, and a big new beta patch rolled out today.

A few choice highlights of the beta patch:

Beta Patch Notes posted:

Fixed a bug that caused troop formations to reset after saving and loading the game.
Fixed a bug that caused settlement characters to not to spawn after Saving and loading while waiting in a settlement.
Added new Sturgian armor set; Northern Lamellar Vest / Northern Short Lamellar Vest
New conversation screen on the campaign map. This will allow players to open conversations on the campaign map with other parties much faster and without a loading screen.
Implemented cheering. Players can now cheer with the key “O”. A click will play the first cheer animation whereas holding “O” will open a cheer wheel with 4 animations in place. This is a feature in progress and will be implemented for MP with more features in future patches.
Now equipment of units in the encyclopedia is inspectable by hovering over their respective icons in their encyclopedia page.
Adjustments to the hideout encounter. The player now has 2 options to enter a hideout. Either simply charging in, which will select his highest level troops for the mission, or to manage his roster from a party screen. Bandit counts in the mission were balanced. Bandits that do not fight in the duel can be taken as prisoners.
An auto-blocking option was added for single player.
Added a new system for XP sharing, where after a battle a portion of upgrade XP earned by troops will be distributed to the rest of the party.
Character levels now depend on raw experience collected from skills rather than skill level increases. Overall this should make it easier to focus on a particular set of skills.
Some of the calculations of perks were wrong because primary and secondary increment types were not divided. This was fixed.
Skill effects were not applied to non-hero agents. This was fixed.
Added 10 new athletics perks for the campaign side and prepared the UI for the combat/mission perks.
Added 7 new riding perks for the campaign side and prepared the UI for the combat/mission perks.
Fixed bugs for the perks Confidence and Public Talker.
Fixed a bug with the wholesaler and appraiser perks. Profits should now be marked.
It is now more difficult for lords to defect: Even when they have no settlements, lords will typically not defect if they have a good amount of money. This means that the money they have affects their desire for defection. The player now also gains relation after a lord joins his kingdom via the defection barter and the defecting lord loses relation with his old king as well.
The king’s chances of being a candidate for and winning ownership of a newly captured settlement were reduced a bit.
A new main storyline quest named "Rescue Your Family" was added to the game.
Two-handed weapons can now crush through a block on overswing attacks.

Unit changes:

Beta Patch Notes posted:

Faction Troops now use a greater variety of weaponry.
Mercenary Cavalry Units now uses spears.
Mercenary units now possess proper skill points and are in correct unit groups
Mercenary Guard and Mercenary Cavalry have slightly better weaponry.
Sturgian Brigand, Hardened Brigand and Horse Raider units now also have spears.
Basic Level 6 Units of Factions units now have a chance to carry and use Tier 2 weapons.
Battanian Oathsworn now use javelins.
Battanian Scouts changed their horses to Battanian Ones.
Aserai Mameluke Regular and Aserai Youth now count as Cavalry units.
Mameluke Heavy Cavalry now uses a different bow.
Aserai Tribal Horsemen now have javelins.
Khuzait Torguuds now carry swords in addition to their original weaponry.
Khuzait Darkhan units carry better javelins.
Khan's Guards now also carry one-handed maces.
Khuzait Spear Infantry now uses Throwable Spears.
Levy Crossbowmen now counts as a ranged unit (as they should).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Those beta changes are real good, I'm glad TW seems to be open to making radical QoL changes that would have been the purview of mods in the past.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Those beta changes are real good, I'm glad TW seems to be open to making radical QoL changes that would have been the purview of mods in the past.

We're talking about the cheer function right

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What's an overswing attack? Just the overhead attack? Is the only way to avoid damage from a two-hander doing that a shield or avoid it then?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
New beta patch stops you proceeding past this screen if another party surrenders to you lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Maybe they could fix all the non-functional perks in the game before adding 17 new ones which probably also won’t work

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Maybe they could fix all the non-functional perks in the game before adding 17 new ones which probably also won’t work

The thing with all the non-functional perks isn't that they're bugged if I remember right, it's that they're placeholders and don't have any actual code behind them. Just an icon and useless description lmao. So they have to add entirely new perks because there wasn't anything there to begin with.

Bannerlord lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah when they added all the new melee weapon perks they threw out all the placeholder ones

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

then they should remove the placeholders or put NON FUNCTIONAL or something in giant letters so that people don't put points into them thinking they do something

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol the new patch apparently has a bug where when you siege any castle or town and start the battle the defenders join your side and you instantly win

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/siege-enemy-army-joins-your-side-from-the-start-immediate-victory.427875/

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

then they should remove the placeholders or put NON FUNCTIONAL or something in giant letters so that people don't put points into them thinking they do something

The cynic in me can't help but think they probably did it so people won't start the game, look at the character screen a minute in, conclude "okay this Early Access is more early than I'd like," and just refund.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really like those beta patch notes. Sounds like I'm gonna be playing a bit again.

Particularly, cheering, crushing through blocks, hideout changes, and xp sharing seem pretty awesome

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

I really like those beta patch notes. Sounds like I'm gonna be playing a bit again.

I just installed it and played a bit. Literally identical experience to when I last played some months ago. The changes to leveling were appealing sounding but it just appears to be the exact same system with different numbers to make it seem like something new

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

I just installed it and played a bit. Literally identical experience to when I last played some months ago. The changes to leveling were appealing sounding but it just appears to be the exact same system with different numbers to make it seem like something new

The change will only manifest once you get pretty high level. Before you would stall out on leveling if you didn't switch to leveling up secondary skills, say switching out your lance for 1 handed weapons, but now you can keep using your lance because you level up via the XP gain instead of actual skill ups, which might stop due to hitting the cap or simply being too high.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Yeah, I've had similar experiences, this game is good, really good. But I hope they follow through with actually completing it. The crazy part is to me that it's 70% of the way there, but they need to complete it. I don't know what the original vision was, and I didn't play warband before, but it's a fun game.

What was the target completion date? Full release date?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

downout posted:

What was the target completion date? Full release date?

time is subjective

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Shear Modulus posted:

lol the new patch apparently has a bug where when you siege any castle or town and start the battle the defenders join your side and you instantly win

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/siege-enemy-army-joins-your-side-from-the-start-immediate-victory.427875/

It's worse. Any miltia troops are side swapped. If you try to defend a village against the deserters the militia will join the raiders in the battle itself. Have they tested this poo poo at all?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Good patch. Gonna give it couple hotfixes and then it's time to lord my banner again.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FrickenMoron posted:

It's worse. Any miltia troops are side swapped. If you try to defend a village against the deserters the militia will join the raiders in the battle itself. Have they tested this poo poo at all?

On this note, my previous run-through had this weird bug where the same three villages would constantly offer the Extortion By Deserters quest. I mean it was a great source of income, but I felt kind of bad for the world's unluckiest peasants...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

On this note, my previous run-through had this weird bug where the same three villages would constantly offer the Extortion By Deserters quest. I mean it was a great source of income, but I felt kind of bad for the world's unluckiest peasants...

Turns out those peasants just had the bright idea to tell passing adventuring companies that the local lord's taxmen were brigands

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tree Bucket posted:

Any NPC offering this quest will offer it again X days later, its really that simple.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Enjoy posted:

Turns out those peasants just had the bright idea to tell passing adventuring companies that the local lord's taxmen were brigands

You know, that explains a lot

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

is the xp change retroactive?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

7c Nickel posted:

The change will only manifest once you get pretty high level. Before you would stall out on leveling if you didn't switch to leveling up secondary skills, say switching out your lance for 1 handed weapons, but now you can keep using your lance because you level up via the XP gain instead of actual skill ups, which might stop due to hitting the cap or simply being too high.

Yeah, that's fair. I guess when I say that it was literally identical, I meant in the sense that the early game consisted of using smithing to fuel my leveling and wealth. In previous builds, I had to supplement that with skill gain grinds in other areas. In this build, you can get to level 20 or so using smithing pretty much right away, which then provides tons of stat and skill points to reduce the grind for your secondary skills.

Edit: I have no complaints. Exploiting smithing allowed me to level up all of my companions quickly and easy, giving me points to distribute into what I actually want them to be able to do.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 28, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I didnt notice this last time I played but the pricing on crafted weapons can get wildly out of sync

Im guessing it's pricing the glaive on the right based on its 1H stats

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Despite the stats it's two tiers lower, it might be that.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

So how is the combat in this, versus Warband with mods? Something about mount and blade just clicked for me and I've spent hundreds of hours happily riding in circles lancing mooks and pointlessly developing towns. Is bannerlord a more meaningful game play experience than M&B Warband? I understand better graphics but really I just wanted an improvement over the original and this seems to be somewhat different from what I have read here. The AI is vastly improved? Does it make battles, the world, and overall experience more enjoyable? I'm still thinking I'll wait a good long time for some balance patches and/or expansions but I'm interested in whether the soul of Warband is preserved.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Combat is way smoother than Warband, the animations are a million times better. Unit and weapon balance isn't as good as a tightly tuned mod like Pendor though and the economy is a wreck: with blacksmithing you can just camp out in a settlement near a hardwood source and have infinite money within half an hour depending on how lucky you are with unlocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What is there is better than Warband, but the game is very much early access. The combat is more fun, the UI is massively improved, and kingdom decisions and management is more interactive, but there's a lot of missing or janky parts such as the aforementioned easily-exploitable crafting system and there's an option on the difficulty screen that says "enable hero death" but hero death isn't implemented except by executing prisoners or death in childbirth.