Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I must've totally missed that was on there, erased is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I quite liked Granblu's anime. It's short and it was from 2017 so I assume nothing else is coming but it was a bit like watching a final fantasy series would be.
It has cameos from the game (which I've never played) but they're not too intrusive thankfully.

That's on Netflix UK, not sure if it's on the US one.

I also remember really liking season 1 of Knights of Sidonia and getting bored with 2, I feel like 2 went more into the comedy living arrangements side of it and got boring?

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 18, 2020

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh I must've totally missed that was on there, erased is phenomenal.

It could be a European thing. We're missing some of the shows you've listed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Okay, cool, I’ll continue revisiting my childhood with more Gundam then.

My nerd shame is that I’ve never actually seen the original Gundam, I just know bits and pieces from cultural osmosis. do I need it for any of the UC stuff, or are they stand alone enough?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boxman posted:

My nerd shame is that I’ve never actually seen the original Gundam, I just know bits and pieces from cultural osmosis. do I need it for any of the UC stuff, or are they stand alone enough?
much of it is relatively standalone, but the original is good, though the animation can be TERRIBLE at times.

while I've not seen them, I think the movie versions of the original show are a good way to watch them, and the zeta movie versions are terrible? or maybe it's the other way around, I forget.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There are times that I really want to rewatch Gundam Wing for nostalgia and my crush on quartre but i know that will only shatter the rose coloured glasses.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boxman posted:

One option to get through original Gundam is the Gundam: The Origin manga. It's a great read with gorgeous artwork, taking the original anime story and mostly telling it the same save for a few things tweaked in hindsight to make it flow better now that it's not being written on the fly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

If you just watch the opening narration you'll be good for a lot of the side stories

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
We just watched a few episodes of Japan Sinks 2020.
Tried it in English but christ the dub is absolutely terrible. It has some characters for whom Japanese isn't their first language and one does a good job of sounding like that while the other is terrible.

I'm sorta curious how they do the little boy who randomly says english stuff in the english dub though. Or the scene of the old man shouting at him for not always speaking japanese

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quick, someone try and sell people on Avatar :v:

Being serious, considering how massively popular it is, I'm shocked there hasn't been an attempt at a One Piece Kai or something better paced.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that will probably happen once it's actually finished.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Has anyone watched Scissor Seven? It's a Chinese cartoon (originally named Killer Seven, presumably changed to avoid sharing the name of that Gamecube game) so, I guess that would not technically be considered anime, but it seems really fun.

It's a very lighthearted and goofy comedy about a young dude named Seven who gets encouraged (by his weird blue bird friend) to try rising through the ranks of paid assassins so he can earn a million yuan that could hopefully be used to regain his lost memories.

I've only just started, but some of the hand-drawn animation is beautiful (while also being generally full of quick visual gags, many of them gleefully childish) and the episodes are like 15 minutes each. The action is really fast-paced and wild, and the mystery seems like just enough of a hook, but it seems to be pretty firmly a comedy at the end of the day. At times it reminds me of Adventure Time in really nice ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed the first season, outside of the OVA episodes at the end which kind of take things a little too seriously and aren't as funny. Haven't watched the second yet because last I checked it didn't have an English dub.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

This may be interesting to some, Netflix sometimes releases English dubs early but you need to access the Japanese site (through a VPN) to watch them. Carole and Tuesday was like that. Absolutely bonkers to me.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Scissor Seven is worth it for the excellent combat tension theme and Boss Chicken alone---really hope it gets a third season, even if the overall pacing and setup of the second season was a bit weaker.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ok this 'Great Pretender' anime looks interesting... The animation/design kinda reminds me of cowboy bebop esp with the jazzy intro

e: :lmao: the queer baiting

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 20, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Ano-Hana: The Flower We Lost That Day is definitely a series you want to watch if you like tearjerkers. It's about a group of (former) childhood friends being slowly brought back together after the ghost of their friend appears to them. It has some issues, but overall I quite liked it.

I can't say enough good things about March Comes in Like a Lion. Even though it hasn't concluded, I'd say it's a masterpiece. It's a slow burn, though.

Little Witch Academia was a surprisingly fantastic show. I came in with low expectations and only started watching it out of my love of all things Studio Trigger and walked away finding it their best series to date (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is better, but it's technically not a Trigger show) Kill La Kill is another great show by them, but it's much harder to recommend to casual anime fans because of uhhhhh, reasons. I didn't care for BNA at all. I found it forgettable and predictable. Two things I've never said about Studio Trigger shows.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is my favorite anime of all time. Read the OP's rundown of it!

Violet Evergarden is another tearjerker and it's absolutely goddamn gorgeous. I struggle to think of a prettier series.

K-On! and its movie are both on Netflix now and they are awesome for anyone looking for a fun slice-of-life anime with no creepy fanservice to speak of. Some good songs, too.

Food Wars! or its Japanese name Shokugeki no Souma is the opposite in terms of fan service. It's basically non-stop fanservice. On the other hand, it's really meant to be as ridiculous as possible, and there's about as much male fanservice as female. But the draw of the show is really the food. Some of the dishes the characters make are so goddamn ridiculous, yet the artists always manage to make even the craziest thing look and sound delicious. It's a battle anime about cooking. Give it a try.

I find Your Lie in April to be a weaker version of March Comes in Like a Lion (very similar themes and plot beats) but it's also a complete story and not at all bad, just lesser than MCILAL

Haikyuu is about sports, something I couldn't give less of a poo poo about, but I loving loved it. I would kill for and die for those good boys.

Promised Neverland isn't out yet, but it might be the series I would most highly recommend (maybe just behind Gurren Lagann and March Comes In). It's a horror/mystery series and it's creepy and sad and exhilarating all at once.

One-Punch Man is a favorite of mine for both its astounding animation and its satire of the shonen battle genre, but I've heard people unfamiliar with anime might not really appreciate it. Give it a couple of episodes at least. A lot of the jokes are great even with no knowledge of anime tropes.

Erased is a great mystery/thriller with a lot of heart. A tad preditctable as far as mysteries go, but that's about the only thing I could fault it for.

Aggretsuko is what would happen if Hello Kitty was a disaffected office lady who sang death metal songs at karaoke to release tension. It's awesome and a much better parable about modern society than BNA or Beastars could ever hope to be.

Rilakuma & Kaoru is a stop-motion animated series about another disaffected salary lady who lives with her (imaginary?) teddy bears. It's one of the most adorable things I've ever seen, the stop-motion animation is better than any other I've seen short of maybe Laika's recent output, and it just makes you feel cozy and fuzzy. Highly recommend it.

Dragon Pilot (I forget the Japanese name) is about a branch of the Japanese military that uses dragons disguised as military jets. The main draw is how cute the animation is, and the surprisingly adult stories told about the pilots. Another female-centric series basically devoid of fanservice. Loved it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood might be the best anime series of all time. I don't know what else to say. It's an adventure story about love and family that can get surprisingly dark. Please watch it.

Megalo-Box is about a grungy, dirty future where boxing has evolved to incorporate mechanized exo-skeletons to make the combat even more brutal. The story revolves around Junk-Dog (later choosing the name Joe), a nameless man who works his way up the ranks without the use of the exo-skeleton (because he is too poor to afford one). It's an underdog story and I love those, and it's got some fantastic animation and art direction, purposefully made to look like a 1990s series which works in the best way.

Devilman Crybaby is loving bonkers. I...don't know if I recommend it for the faint of heart. It has spectacular animation by the same director behind Japan Sinks (which is also amaaaaaazing), but it's very, very gory and has tons of nudity. You've been warned.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Did you ever watch Sailor Moon? This is that, but imagine the stakes were much higher and things got quite a bit...darker, to say the least. A landmark of the medium. Similar to One-Punch Man and Gurren Lagann this might be better appreciated by those familiar with anime and the series' it's subverting, but still a great series for non-fans.

Hi Score Girl, Pop Team Epic, Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun Other series on Netflix that are great, but pretty niche.

There's also Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, Castlevania, Inu-Yasha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Death Note, Evangelion, Carole & Tuesday and Attack on Titan - I know a lot of people have strong feelings for these series, but I'm lukewarm on them at best.

I'm also planning to watch Dorohedoro and The Great Pretender once I'm done with my...fifth? Sixth? rewatch of Fullmetal Alchemist. :v:

edit: Oh, yeah, Lupid the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro is on Netflix too. It's Miyazaki + Lupin. This should be required viewing for all of...humanity.

edit 2: A Silent Voice is a film that still haunts me months after originally watching it. It's a drama about a boy who bullies a deaf classmate in middle school and the guilt he carries because of it. Trigger warning that it deals with themes of suicide quite heavily. But an absolutely heartbreaking, wonderful movie.

Flavors of Youth, Miss Hokusai, In This Corner of the World are also all good anime movies on Netflix.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 21, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Has anyone ever watched JUST FMA: Brotherhood without watching the original first, or at least the original up to where Brotherhood picks up? Because the pacing of the first handful of episodes just blasts through a bunch of the story due to the original anime adapting it properly until they ran out of content and had to make their own ending.

I love both series but I feel like Brotherhood would feel really weird pacing wise if you hadn't seen the original.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i did and i thought it was fine. not sure i'd have ever noticed if it wasn't for that being the one thing every discussion of brotherhood always starts with

also everyone should watch dorohedoro

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ninjewtsu posted:

i did and i thought it was fine. not sure i'd have ever noticed if it wasn't for that being the one thing every discussion of brotherhood always starts with

Good to know! I watched the original well before Brotherhood was a thing, so I've always been curious what it's like watching Brotherhood only. It always felt like the show just assumes you've watched the original or read the manga, so I've always been recommending it with the caveat of 'but the beginning is hella rushed'.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it's most apparent with the tucker episode(s), the original series gave it way more time and so it was much more impactful. Stuff like that could've made brotherhood's first dozen episodes flow smoother, but ultimately they weren't super necessary.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

esperterra posted:

Good to know! I watched the original well before Brotherhood was a thing, so I've always been curious what it's like watching Brotherhood only. It always felt like the show just assumes you've watched the original or read the manga, so I've always been recommending it with the caveat of 'but the beginning is hella rushed'.
How much of the beginning are we talking? I'm about 10 episodes in having never watched any of it before.

If I have a problem it's that there's too much time devoted to humor that mostly doesn't really land to me, which does make it feel like they're weirdly crunched for time in the serious aspects, but I think I wouldn't mind that at all if I were more into the jokes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think after episode 14 or 15 is when it slows down to start adapting the stuff that hadn't been covered by the first show.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ah ok. I have been surprised at how quickly it's establishing what seem to be some significant players, but honestly I'm relieved these days when anime just gets right into the meat of stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

esperterra posted:

Has anyone ever watched JUST FMA: Brotherhood without watching the original first, or at least the original up to where Brotherhood picks up? Because the pacing of the first handful of episodes just blasts through a bunch of the story due to the original anime adapting it properly until they ran out of content and had to make their own ending.

I love both series but I feel like Brotherhood would feel really weird pacing wise if you hadn't seen the original.

I watched the original and then Brotherhood but remembered very little of the first version aside from 'Oh yeah, the priest with the fake philosopher stone' and 'oh yeah, making a chimera that talks' stuff like that but I don't remember a ton of stuff.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Wife and I just watched all of Aggretsuko S3 in one go. It was as enjoyable, funny, and poignant as always, but I'm not sure what the message of the season was supposed to be. If it was what I think it was... it seems like a kinda bad message? Girl, what do you WANT out of life??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the con artist parts of Great Pretender but the tragic backstory stuff just seems so over the top.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

muscles like this! posted:

I like the con artist parts of Great Pretender but the tragic backstory stuff just seems so over the top.

Same. The last case was especially bad. Though I liked that case better overall than the Singapore case, I think. LA easily the best.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

I did this, and tbh, I preferred the pacing before it slowed down.

That last city/war/seige/whatever arc was just agonisingly long.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
7 Deadly Sins is one of those stupid Shonen shows I shouldn't watch, but I loving love.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hear it's pretty good, at least it's not of the ilk of, like, Naruto or Bleach or something.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh bTW where does the promised neverland end? at the wall?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oh bTW where does the promised neverland end? at the wall?

Burning the house down and escaping over the wall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

7 Deadly Sins is one of those stupid Shonen shows I shouldn't watch, but I loving love.

'This barrier is strong enough to withstand a dozen greater dragon's assault! They'll starve to death inside there, trapped forever!'

*They break out on accident while arm wrestling*

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

I hear it's pretty good, at least it's not of the ilk of, like, Naruto or Bleach or something.

I have really enjoyed it. The enemy groups are all really fun

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Carole and Tuesday is by the guy who made Cowboy Bebop and stuff and is a cute sweet anime about two girls on scifi terraformed Mars trying to make it as a band with the help of a washed-up producer.

The episodes have original songs sung in English. You might recognise this from going viral a year back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv3mLJKVZBs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked the first part of C&T but thought the second was a big drop in quality. It felt like they didn't know what to do with Carole and Tuesday and they pretty much got sidelined for other characters. Also super didn't care about the political plot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first couple of episodes of the Dragon's Dogma anime and it is weirdly videogame accurate at times. Like the big fight scene in the second episode uses a lot of actual attacks from the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the manga for Beastars is supposedly ending in 3 chapters.

it just "finished" its current arc, and the series is ending in 3 chapters. If that is true, then I think it got axed, or Paru mercy killed it. said arc is one of the most acute downfalls in a series's quality I have seen, maybe ever, and if it gets adapted in a future anime season, I doubt I could recommend it. the first season and what they will probably adapt in the second season are largely rock solid, but BOY HOWDY is everything related to a certain character introduced past there some of the worst writing, most lackluster character growth, most dropped story hooks and plot holes I've seen in an otherwise good series. It's frankly staggering, and incredibly disappointing for a series I have been entirely gung-ho about for over half its run. I understand it's Paru Itagaki's first major series, but I think she should've asked for some help to organize things a bit because it's just a loving birdshot of ideas shot at a wall and only a few of them stick(everything to do with aquatic beings in the beastars world rules, for example).

and the way Haru gets kinda shoved in a hole and not mentioned or shows at all really sucks. Is it Legosi's story? maybe. but Haru is a major factor in the perception of this world, and her storyline just being "completed" and put aside so she's barely around in the entire second half of the series is garbage. Lots of great concepts crop up, Legosi outside of the school, legosi's family, Haru's family, aquatic society, etc, and most of these are touched upon for a few chapters then hurriedly pocketed to be replaced by stupid shonen battle nonsense with terrible characters and ideas introduced for them(and often promptly forgotten about a chapter later).

It's just a bummer. When I think about where the focus of the series could have gone and where it ACTUALLY went, it's so disappointing. The first half of the series will remain really great to me, though, and there's still a full season at least of that content left to go through, but man once Melon, the Joker character who just won't go away makes his debut, it's almost all downhill from there

also I will never not be super annoyed by the terrible cliche of "extremely toxic venom = XENOMORPH BLOOD!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if i watched dbz and gundam wing on cartoon network as a literal child, what should i try watching now?