Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

khy posted:

I need something just like it in space.

It's an old, old game now but Independence War has this kind of big and complicated ship management. It's a combat sim, rather than exploration-focused but it's probably as close as any space game gets.

I guess there's also Objects in Space, but it's more abstract (mostly interacting with screens) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I’m going to put forward that the Cyclops has one of the sexiest voices of any game vehicle

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Having completed this game only once, I built a cyclops intending to sail it to the lava zone, got attacked by a leviathan en route, and the cyclops blew up.

Decided I'd be fine completing the game in the Prawn Suit instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Reveilled posted:

Having completed this game only once, I built a cyclops intending to sail it to the lava zone, got attacked by a leviathan en route, and the cyclops blew up.

Decided I'd be fine completing the game in the Prawn Suit instead.

I'm pretty sure that's entirely meant to be a valid way to do things, especially given the verticality of the final zones, the whole 'punch leviathans til they go away' feature and the endgame portal network. If anything, a fully upgraded Cyclops AND Prawn can feel like overkill.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I never even built the cyclops in my first run from 2018. In the run I just finished there I only took the cyc as far as the lost river.

It was kind of fun using all the cameras to squeeze it down the tight corridors without touching the sides but I imagine it might get very tedious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured out a steady route into the Lost River, but then I usually parked the Cyclops near the tree and used the Seamoth to commute back and forth.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Skippy McPants posted:

It's an old, old game now but Independence War has this kind of big and complicated ship management. It's a combat sim, rather than exploration-focused but it's probably as close as any space game gets.

I guess there's also Objects in Space, but it's more abstract (mostly interacting with screens) .

I loved the Cyclops and wanted to find something similar with deeper vehicle management sim elements. Objects and Space was the first contender, and whilst I enjoyed it to start off with, it was kinda buggy and the main ship ambient loop had an audible click every 5 seconds or so. Absolutely maddening.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Well that's the end of a hardcore run I don't feel particularly happy about.

Got to the final alien site, the one with the ion cube generator. Got in my Prawn suit to mine the cubes. Was playing around with the drill arm, and used it on the ground by accident. Suit froze up and wouldn't move whatsoever. No motion, completely stuck. Could look around but couldn't move/jump (Though the jump energy bar DID decrease). Decided to try to save&quit/reload, upon reloading the suit was immediately flung sideways through all the walls and outside of the map. At around 10k or so from the main area I got out of the suit hoping it'd teleport me back or whatever, but instead I drowned.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

khy posted:

Well that's the end of a hardcore run I don't feel particularly happy about.

Got to the final alien site, the one with the ion cube generator. Got in my Prawn suit to mine the cubes. Was playing around with the drill arm, and used it on the ground by accident. Suit froze up and wouldn't move whatsoever. No motion, completely stuck. Could look around but couldn't move/jump (Though the jump energy bar DID decrease). Decided to try to save&quit/reload, upon reloading the suit was immediately flung sideways through all the walls and outside of the map. At around 10k or so from the main area I got out of the suit hoping it'd teleport me back or whatever, but instead I drowned.

The final alien site is incredibly buggy which is a huge stinker. The whole gameplay period from arriving and before meeting the sea emperor leviathon was a hugely negative experience for me.

I had the exact same bug with the suit and when I reloaded I was flung through the wall. Luckily, I was only playing survival so I was able to reload again and jump out of the suit before it threw me out of bounds. But then when I was inside the facility my character would sometimes sink into the floor below his knees and the only way to fix it would be to run all the way to the vertical moonpool at the entrance and leave and reenter. I think the issue with the prawn suit is the same (sinking slightly below the bounds of the floor), because I fixed it the same way by getting out and running to the vertical moonpool.

It's a really sucky thing to see especially at the penultimate point of your first full story playthrough.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I also had the bug with the suit getting stuck in the alien base

gently caress playing subnautica hardcore lol. I had a lot of fun with the game but it’s far too janky (especially the obviously rushed second half of the game) for hardcore mode to have any appeal to me at all

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

gently caress playing subnautica hardcore lol. I had a lot of fun with the game but it’s far too janky (especially the obviously rushed second half of the game) for hardcore mode to have any appeal to me at all

I play Hardcore because I feel like if I am stupid enough to forget to watch my oxygen or get eaten by a leviathan I SHOULD have to start over. I've lost about 3 or 4 total hardcore runs, but this was the first time I had a jank issue. Every other loss was me being stupid and diving without watching my timer, so I felt being penalized was A-OK with me. Plus it's made some of the deeper exploration runs where I encounter new areas a LOT more intense. I love intense.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 27, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah, like the time I died because the game wouldn't let me switch O2 tanks this ONE TIME.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
You know what sucks? Playing the first time through, completely without spoilers, and not finding the vehicle upgrade console until quite late in the game, because it just happened to not be in the early-to-mid game sites you checked on.

So the entire game, I couldn't take the stupid Seamoth anywhere real, because of the 200 meter limit.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 27, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SlyFrog posted:

You know what sucks? Playing the first time through, completely without spoilers, and not finding the vehicle upgrade console until quite late in the game, because it just happened to not be in the early-to-mid game sites you checked on.

So the entire game, I could take the stupid Seamoth anywhere real, because of the 200 meter limit.

That sounds like 100% the Subnautica Experience. Also tool blueprints spawning in rooms where you'd need the tool to get it.

My first playthrough I started in VR. At least back then a lot of the HUD elements didn't work properly in VR, as a result I never noticed that the radio could be repaired, so I never got any of the hints to progress the story. I just kept exploring a larger and larger radius, building a network of air pipes in to interesting caves near the capsule. After a few days of this I didn't feel like getting out the headset, loaded up the flat screen version, and immediately learned what I had been missing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SlyFrog posted:

So the entire game, I could take the stupid Seamoth anywhere real, because of the 200 meter limit.

wolrah posted:

That sounds like 100% the Subnautica Experience. Also tool blueprints spawning in rooms where you'd need the tool to get it.

My first playthrough I started in VR. At least back then a lot of the HUD elements didn't work properly in VR, as a result I never noticed that the radio could be repaired, so I never got any of the hints to progress the story. I just kept exploring a larger and larger radius, building a network of air pipes in to interesting caves near the capsule. After a few days of this I didn't feel like getting out the headset, loaded up the flat screen version, and immediately learned what I had been missing.

Some runs you find six hunks of mobile vehicle bay clustered in a small circle and unlock it faster than ever before and zip to the end with no problems at all. Some runs it takes you forever to find a (formerly known by default) laser cutter *cracks open sealed wreck to find five laser cutter fragments and four battery charger fragments*

Also I just remembered. While MOST of the game could eventually be sorted by stubborn brute force "Just explore more I guess?" without a radio? You straight up can't beat the game without resorting to a wiki, if you never repair (or build) a radio. Door code to get the rocket blueprints is via radio So good thing you did that.

On a lighter note, I wonder if they ever fixed the ability to build a radio directly onto a ladder? That was surprisingly handy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 27, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

khy posted:

I play Hardcore because I feel like if I am stupid enough to forget to watch my oxygen or get eaten by a leviathan I SHOULD have to start over. I've lost about 3 or 4 total hardcore runs, but this was the first time I had a jank issue. Every other loss was me being stupid and diving without watching my timer, so I felt being penalized was A-OK with me. Plus it's made some of the deeper exploration runs where I encounter new areas a LOT more intense. I love intense.

After my first Hardcore run ended due to a completely nonsensical bug, all my future Hardcore runs have involved keeping a backup of that game's profile folder/save folder somewhere I can use it to back it up, doing so every time I save (I normally don't save more than once every few hours, so it's manageable).

If I die legit, well, that's fine, game over. If I die because of a bug or a glitch, I restore the folder, because that isn't what it's supposed to be about.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ve never gotten the cyclops in this game but you all are making me want to reinstall and give it a go again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cyclops especially just owns as a fully mobile base. You can stuff it with an absolute shitload of lockers and all the poo poo you need to build whatever. My Cyclops was fully pimped out, I once built a second cyclops just to recover my dope one that I lost in a cave somewhere spooky. I actually had a little too much in mine, but it was worth it, especially cramming those cool glowing plants near the cockpit. They let you see your cyclops in the dark, and the slight clipping through the hull along with some other lockers gave the whole ship a certain jittery glitchiness that worked to my advantage most of the time. I also decorated that little cabin room so it was cozy and had my collection of the rare easter egg items, oh yeah and my favourite fish.

Cyclops that could go in the sea or air would be cool, I would be into a game about piloting a big ol ship like that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I once got the cyclops stuck in a cave passage leaving the lost river, so I deployed my prawn suit and jumped on the top of the cyclops until it dislodged. I actually thought that was pretty cool.

Another time I was exploring the lost river in the seamoth and swimming around to collect all the nickel. When I went back to my moth, I discovered that it had somehow been sucked underground and wasn't accessible anymore. :( I drowned

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

tuyop posted:

I’ve never gotten the cyclops in this game but you all are making me want to reinstall and give it a go again.

You can find a lot of Cyclops bits if you brave the Dunes and the Angriest Loudest Fish ever.
(Yeah I like coming up with new stupid names for Reaper)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dreadwroth2 posted:

You can find a lot of Cyclops bits if you brave the Dunes and the Angriest Loudest Fish ever.
(Yeah I like coming up with new stupid names for Reaper)

It seems definitely on purpose that a lot of Cyclops parts are availaible at the Aurora's backside with a couple of Reapers reliably between you and the surface.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The big wreck that landed between a couple of the floating islands often has a lot of Cyclops bits too, Engine Bits in particular.

Lots of Bridge and Hull bits in the Mushroom forests, meanwhile.

There are, of course, also a fair number of bits to be found in the crash zone around the Aurora, especially on the far side, deep down, and around the back end, but there are some very unfriendly neighbors hanging around there as welll, as someone else already noted.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It is a bit annoying to me that the Cyclops parts are almost universally just on the ground in a couple specific biomes and almost none spawn at the actual wrecks like everything else. I think there are only two wrecks in the entire game that will give you cyclops parts, and one is like the furthest East wreck on the map, one you really need to go out of your way for.

This isn’t a major complaint but I really like the “wrecks as progression” thing and having the cyclops disconnected from that for the most part made me sad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I once got the cyclops stuck in a cave passage leaving the lost river, so I deployed my prawn suit and jumped on the top of the cyclops until it dislodged. I actually thought that was pretty cool.

Another time I was exploring the lost river in the seamoth and swimming around to collect all the nickel. When I went back to my moth, I discovered that it had somehow been sucked underground and wasn't accessible anymore. :( I drowned

One of the walls in the Lost River didn't load in on my first playthrough, but I thought it was just another tunnel since it was my first time...once I realized I was in the null-space, outside the level, I panicked and desperately searched for the hole to get back in.

...luckily it was still there. :sweatdrop:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The one thing I thought the game could really use was, since there's this gorgeous wrecked cyclops animation and set piece - is being able to find the degasi cyclops from when it went down . maybe a little more degraded

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

TheParadigm posted:

The one thing I thought the game could really use was, since there's this gorgeous wrecked cyclops animation and set piece - is being able to find the degasi cyclops from when it went down . maybe a little more degraded

It would have been a smart design to let the player find an intact Degassi Cyclops that they could use until a scripted event destroys it and provides the scanner fragments to replace it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

yeah, I agree, but the audio log heavily implies a reaper woke up and thrashed the place and the cyclops and took it to the deeps/sunk it

(maybe thats why the sea treaders kick up so much ore?)

So it makes sense it would be a wreck, not intact.

It WOULD be neat if it was like, intact and entirely out of juice though. Maybe an alternate way to get that shield generator?

so you go exploring in the right area and BAM what's this huge tubular white thing , whats this doing half buried in the dirt, oh poo poo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheParadigm posted:

yeah, I agree, but the audio log heavily implies a reaper woke up and thrashed the place and the cyclops and took it to the deeps/sunk it

(maybe thats why the sea treaders kick up so much ore?)

So it makes sense it would be a wreck, not intact.

It WOULD be neat if it was like, intact and entirely out of juice though. Maybe an alternate way to get that shield generator?

so you go exploring in the right area and BAM what's this huge tubular white thing , whats this doing half buried in the dirt, oh poo poo.

I still love the (accidental?) meta joke that the only reason things went wrong in the end, is because Marguerit finally listened to Bart constantly whining "Why does she want kill predators? This should be a peaceful survival scenario! Why can't she just bring me them ALIVE for my virus research?"

Even though the narrative paints the latter as innocent and doing no wrong as they work to fix things, they'd have probably succeeded and be waiting for the player with a cure if not for that :v:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Is the Cyclops hard to get? I found the stuff to build it fairly early (unlike the stupid vehicle modification station). Certainly earlier than the prawn suit.

Only thing I don't like about the Cyclops as a base is the lack of a scanner.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SlyFrog posted:

Only thing I don't like about the Cyclops as a base is the lack of a scanner.

Sonar for navigation will have to do, giving it an actual scanner would have made it OP in a sense. A lot of the fun in this game came from exploring a new region, setting up a small scanning base which was nothing more than a scanner room and power source, then using that to gather up everything of worth in the area. If you could scan with the Cyclops you wouldn't need to creep out the explored territory bit by bit, you could just build a central base in the middle of the map and go wherever.

I just wish you could make it go at full speed without the engines catching on fire. Thought the engine efficiency mod would have done that but maybe I needed to stack them or something.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Sonar for navigation will have to do, giving it an actual scanner would have made it OP in a sense. A lot of the fun in this game came from exploring a new region, setting up a small scanning base which was nothing more than a scanner room and power source, then using that to gather up everything of worth in the area. If you could scan with the Cyclops you wouldn't need to creep out the explored territory bit by bit, you could just build a central base in the middle of the map and go wherever.

I just wish you could make it go at full speed without the engines catching on fire. Thought the engine efficiency mod would have done that but maybe I needed to stack them or something.

Yeah, I get why they didn't do it. Though at some point, setting up a base with scanner just becomes a matter of tear down the old one, move 500 m, reset it up, so it does become a little silly.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Once on a load my scanner room somehow lost all its upgrades and I was so flummoxed I just gave up on the base.

This was the same run where I jumped outside to repair the Cyclops, not realising a leviathan was approaching from the other side. It smashed into the sub- clipping it into me and killing me instantly.

On a hardcore playthrough- I need to start making manual saves for lovely bugs like that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The only thing I find scanner rooms useful for is if I'm hunting a specific resource, usually stalker teeth because they're so hard to spot. But you can do one run through a kelp forest and get like 20 teeth and be set for life.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

This was the same run where I jumped outside to repair the Cyclops, not realising a leviathan was approaching from the other side. It smashed into the sub- clipping it into me and killing me instantly.

On a hardcore playthrough- I need to start making manual saves for lovely bugs like that.

That hardcore loss doesn't sound like a bug, it sounds like an AMAZING obituary. "Smashed into a fine pulp against the side of his own ship when a sea dragon leviathan crashed into them both"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I really want a subnautica in space. A particularly matter dense/dark (maybe dark mattery?) region of space about the same size as the subnautica map where an interstellar exploration ship get's wrecked by a micro-blackhole or something sci-fictiony and you have to basically rebuild an escape ship and FTL transmitter from scratch. Instead of oxygen you have to constantly deal with extreme gravity from say an orbiting pulsar, temperature, and suit energy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Outer Wilds is quite good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

uPen posted:

Outer Wilds is quite good.

This is a bit of an understatement

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I really want a subnautica in space. A particularly matter dense/dark (maybe dark mattery?) region of space about the same size as the subnautica map where an interstellar exploration ship get's wrecked by a micro-blackhole or something sci-fictiony and you have to basically rebuild an escape ship and FTL transmitter from scratch. Instead of oxygen you have to constantly deal with extreme gravity from say an orbiting pulsar, temperature, and suit energy.

There is Breathedge, tho I have not looked at it in awhile so no idea if it's actually good ahahaha. It's tone is extremely comedic tho, for good or ill. It's sitting in my library till it hits 1.0, just like Below Zero.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/738520/Breathedge/

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Jawnycat posted:

There is Breathedge, tho I have not looked at it in awhile so no idea if it's actually good ahahaha. It's tone is extremely comedic tho, for good or ill. It's sitting in my library till it hits 1.0, just like Below Zero.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/738520/Breathedge/

I enjoyed it. The humour is a bit hit-or-miss (mostly miss for me) and it's not quite got the same polish as subnautica, but it still hits the spot. They haven't finished the story yet, but probably 2/3rds of it is there, and it's episodic so the early parts are fully playable and self-contained.

If you're looking for subnautica in space I'd definitely recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, it's alright. Humour falls flat with the lolsorandum direction, but building actual space stations is always a plus.