Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is probably heresy, but: there are some really good episodes in Season 8, but they're mostly mytharc.

This Is Not Happening through to the finale is a pretty good run of episodes.

The first half of the season has Roadrunners, and that's about it. It also has Badlaa, the most clearly and obvious piece of offensive trash the show ever made, and at least as bad as First Person Shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ghost rape episode isn't so bad if you ignore all the ghost rape

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just in case it's escaped notice: Monster of the Week: the Complete Cartoon X-Files is a good read.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Fun fact, in the S6 episode "Field Trip" Mulder and Scully were never rescued, the end of the episode and all the rest of the show are just their gradually degenerating hallucinations as the fungus digests them.

:ms:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Having a shared hallucination with your colleague about taking a conference call with your boss while you're all in a bathtub

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Having a shared hallucination with your colleague about taking a conference call with your boss while you're all in a bathtub
Thread title?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

My face when I realise this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who was it who saved all those unflattering pictures of scully anyway

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gonna watch irresistible later. This one is creepy but in an uncomfortable way iirc. I'll see how I feel after it. I just watched Die Hand Die Verlezt recently so I'll probably skip it. That one, however, is just straight up great

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Irresistable loving sucked but Fresh bones is so goddamn good :shrug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Irresistable loving sucked but Fresh bones is so goddamn good :shrug:

Irresistible freaked me out but the "twist" is a bit of a let down and as pointed out by smarter people "Scully gets saved by Mulder/Doggett is a bit of a trope".

Fresh Bones definately very good.

This run of the last few episodes has been so spooky and good.

The only one I remember is Red Museam the rest I don't recall despite 2 watch through of the show when I was younger.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
People talk a lot about the scariest episodes of the X-Files, but the bit with the fingers from Fresh Bones has always stuck with me.

Oh, and Home.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Scariest Xfile is Sanguinarium, no contest.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Hell yeah. I just started a rewatch a few weeks ago. I haven’t watched the show in probably 8 years and I haven’t watched it since broadcast before that. Not going to skip a single episode, maybe. I just got to Shapes in season 1, and It’s impressive how good the show is already in the first season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You know I never noticed the fake Norwegian in Dod Kalm when I watched it 15-20 years ago but I definitely figured something was awry on this recent rewatch. Would I have noticed had people not pointed it out? That's hard to say. Overall I liked the episode even if it felt a little slow; the insanely rusty ship was a creepy set piece and premature aging is scary as hell. Before that I watched Fearful Symmetry, a reference to a much beloved poem. This episode's solid if nothing special IMO. The 2 parter Mytharc stuff before that is about the same.

Now gonna watch the greatest episode in the series possibly

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One thing that I’m glad gets shaken out by season three is the improbable number of aliens just loving around on Earth. Aside from your mytharc conspiracy aliens, you got the face on Mars dead alien ghost, the amish sex pervert aliens, and the aliens that turned the elephant invisible, plus a few more I might be forgetting. I feel like if I were the conspiracy, I’d maybe hit up those amish sex aliens and see if they want to team up against the black oil aliens.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know I never noticed the fake Norwegian in Dod Kalm when I watched it 15-20 years ago but I definitely figured something was awry on this recent rewatch. Would I have noticed had people not pointed it out? That's hard to say. Overall I liked the episode even if it felt a little slow; the insanely rusty ship was a creepy set piece and premature aging is scary as hell. Before that I watched Fearful Symmetry, a reference to a much beloved poem. This episode's solid if nothing special IMO. The 2 parter Mytharc stuff before that is about the same.

Now gonna watch the greatest episode in the series possibly

I'm about an episode behind you and skipped Fearful Symmetry.

This episode loving rules dude.

"You do much circus work?"

edit: "Is Mr Nutt finished with the plumbing" got a very solid chortle from me.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 28, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The insanely happy alligator family made me smile :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Doctor from "Our Time" was bugging me, I knew I knew him from something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFx4hf_33lg

Oh only the 'villain' in the greatest episode of Stargate ever made, another great Canadian production.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The insanely happy alligator family made me smile :smith:

Yeah as I get older all the death gets me a bit tbqh.

A serious run of great extras, Dean Norris and Tony Shalhoub !

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dean Norris in F Emasculata which I'm watching now. Calusari was a good if no frills episode. So far it's Irresistible that's the stinker of the season. It's even worse than the invisible rape episode!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mulder's paranoia LSD meltdown is like, my normal 2020 mood.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is that this episode? I'm saving back half for later. Oh, and also in it? Charles Martin Smith

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I know it's the X-Files thread but I started watching Millennium because I've watched through The X-Files about 6 times and never watched Millennium. Man, this first season is a real dud.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WarEternal posted:

I know it's the X-Files thread but I started watching Millennium because I've watched through The X-Files about 6 times and never watched Millennium. Man, this first season is a real dud.

Season 2 is where it's at, though there's a sustained bit of super weirdness that starts about halfway into Season 3.

Season 1 is bad, with some occasional whoah what the gently caress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Terry O'Quinn moved to my hometown after Millennium was cancelled and stayed for a few years until he got cast in Lost. He was my little league baseball coach for two years.

Anyway re: Xfiles, I just started season 2 on a rewatch and I'm noticing how much shittier Mulder's hair is in this season for some reason. It's like he switched barbers and the guy hadn't quite figured out how to cut it yet or something.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
If you're in Australia, SBS on demand has the whole lot up for streaming.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hate to be that guy...

But that ambient sound of Sonic being played at the arcade is distracting because a) Sonic soundtrack whips rear end b) it's a goddam arcade :argh:

Also whips? Hey Man Nice Shot.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

algebra testes posted:

Hate to be that guy...

But that ambient sound of Sonic being played at the arcade is distracting because a) Sonic soundtrack whips rear end b) it's a goddam arcade :argh:

Also whips? Hey Man Nice Shot.

Sonic the hedgehog did have an arcade release. Was basically just the mega drive game but lives cost you money and levels had tighter time limits iirc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well there you go then!

Edit: final repose still loving whips rear end too.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 31, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Which episode was the Mulder speedo episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Which episode was the Mulder speedo episode.

Wasn't this the scene where Krycek is introduced?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's in Duane Barry. The first Krycek episode is the one with Tony Todd, Sleepless.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I was doing a complete watch of X-Files a few years ago and got to the early parts of Season 8 before dropping off (specifically episode 5 "Invocation", my Netflix viewing history tells me). Is there anything past that in the series worth checking out? I've seen bits and pieces of the later stuff, but out of order, and I know that season 8/9 have a reputation for being pretty bad. Should I try to finish the series off? I liked the myth-arc stuff, and was kind of bummed about how it fizzled out.

Also, was there anything interesting in the final new season (season 11)? I watched season 10 and, outside of one good episode (Mulder and Scully meet the Were-Monster), I'd rather just ignore it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

I was doing a complete watch of X-Files a few years ago and got to the early parts of Season 8 before dropping off (specifically episode 5 "Invocation", my Netflix viewing history tells me). Is there anything past that in the series worth checking out? I've seen bits and pieces of the later stuff, but out of order, and I know that season 8/9 have a reputation for being pretty bad. Should I try to finish the series off? I liked the myth-arc stuff, and was kind of bummed about how it fizzled out.

Also, was there anything interesting in the final new season (season 11)? I watched season 10 and, outside of one good episode (Mulder and Scully meet the Were-Monster), I'd rather just ignore it.

Only good stuff in the 10 and 11 seasons are the Darin Morgan episodes. The mytharc is completely incoherent after season 7. There are a couple of decent episodes in season 8. Vienen is one I remember enjoying.

Now, season 9 has the one that made me the most angry at the time. Trust No 1. The premise is that Scully misses Mulder so much she asks him to come back, but some people might be waiting for him. So the entire episode is about whether or not Mulder got on a train, and it was entirely about teasing that maybe Duchovny was going to be in that episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DorianGravy posted:

Season 11 is so terrible in every respect that I got physically angry at it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Season 11 is so terrible in every respect that I got physically angry at it.

I thought it was kind of funny the Scully’s kid who she missed so desperately became a piece-of-poo poo pick-up artist and she didn’t even care when he died.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Disowning my incel son on live television

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WarEternal posted:

DISCLAIMER: I'm enough of a fan that have a tattoo of the Millennium logo, and have long held up Season 2 as my favorite all-time favorite run of television.

The series had a similar problem to X-Files in leadership turnover, except at a much higher rate, with Executive Meddling to boot. Essentially, each season was helmed by new people, and Seasons 2 and 3 were told specifically not to do what the previous seasons had focused on ("No serial killers" for Season 2, "no angels" for Season 3.") As such, there's a definite upswing in quality as each creative team figures out what the show should be about... and then getting replaced. I once saw an aggregate chart of user reviews, and it was basically X=Y for each season. (Gave up trying to find it, would have responded earlier if I hadn't been looking for it.)

WfH has led to me doing my own X-Files rewatch to break up the podcast and YouTube routine - plus, I have Seasons 1-8 on disc, so I don't have to deal with yet another browser window to accidentally close. I'm up to "Fallen Angel," and am definitely picking up on different things this time around - even episodes with lovely Monsters ("Jersey Devil," for instance) are just fantastic character pieces, with Mulder at his scruffiest and most irreverent, like a nerdy Columbo. It's impressive just how visually a lot of the characterization is done, particularly through interaction with environment. The tracking shot of of Mulder's old partner walking through a hall at FBI Headquarters, for instance, grabbing a piece of candy from a plastic Jack o'Lantern, and pocketing it said so much about his character, and feels uniquely X-Files. Sets are just full of stuff, and any given shot is full of little details that establish the people within them, from the piles in the basement office to the pinball machines in the Arctic station to the newspapers in Tooms' nest.

I'm also really enjoying the ACAB/ant-authoritarian bent of these Pre-Skinner stories. Every cop is territorial or protective of local monied interests. Every FBI agent (besides our heroes) is a backstabbing gloryhound or officious bureaucrat. (The worst of Mulder's crimes in Fallen Angel was not filing the correct paperwork.) Every white guy in a suit is a schmuck, with very few exceptions, (Colonel Belt in "Space" genuinely cares about the space program and the people who dedicate their lives to it, although he goes about it in a schmucky way), and the pre-9/11 depiction of the military is downright refreshing.

It works out pretty well that these early ones are so talky, and not just because I can focus on the spreadsheets taking up the rest of my monitor - it also greatly reduces the reliance on dodgy optical effects. (The practical stuff is really top-notch, though, like the worms in "Ice.") The Ghost Face in "Space" looked lovely the first time around, but things like cutting the frame rate whenever someone or something is falling feels way closer to say, Forever Knight than I remember.

On the whole, I'm glad I started this up and hope I'll be able to keep going. The problem with starting every rewatch from the beginning is you see the early episodes the most often (I can recite most of the pilot from memory), but it's been so long since the last attempt I felt obligated to. I'm glad I did, though, and am looking forward to episodes way down the line that I haven't seen since the first broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After The War posted:

It works out pretty well that these early ones are so talky, and not just because I can focus on the spreadsheets taking up the rest of my monitor - it also greatly reduces the reliance on dodgy optical effects. (The practical stuff is really top-notch, though, like the worms in "Ice.") The Ghost Face in "Space" looked lovely the first time around, but things like cutting the frame rate whenever someone or something is falling feels way closer to say, Forever Knight than I remember.

I think this is a legacy of the conspiracy culture of the 1980s/90s that Chris Carter drew a lot from, like Behold a Pale Horse. It's the same sort of environment that led to things like Black Helicopters, FEMA Death Camps, Clinton sending his shock troopers across the country, even anti-vaxxer and chemtrail stuff. It's also funny that from 2001-08 a lot of this went away from conspiracy culture, and then returned again until 2016....