Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

teagone posted:

Shot in the dark, but does anyone here have an old/spare MagSafe 1 or MagSafe 2 charger they aren't using? I'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

I posted in SA-Mart looking for one; was originally going to just get one of those cheapo knock-offs from Amazon from like $20, but then figured maybe a goon might have a genuine Apple OEM charger leftover after an upgrade to a USB-C charging MacBook. I'm currently using my old Core 2 Duo MacBook charger from 2006 with my mid-2012 Air using an adapter, but think this 60W brick is finally on its way out. I'm kind of amazed this MagSafe 1 charger is still semi-working after this long.

If you can afford the new price from Apple, that's always going to be the best and most trustworthy solution.

They get down to $50 on Amazon occasionally.

Also, weren't people recently posting $50 new Magsafe chargers from OWC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah, and at least some of those turned out to be fake, from OWC of all places! at this stage, I don't recommend that anyone use a charger that wasn't purchased directly from Apple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yeah, and at least some of those turned out to be fake, from OWC of all places! at this stage, I don't recommend that anyone use a charger that wasn't purchased directly from Apple.

OWC’s always been too close to shady for my tastes

I give them credit for serving a niche market for a long time but it always felt like they got into the habit of really exploiting that niche status, and when Apple got exponentially bigger and more mainstream they never dialed it back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nm

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 21, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Binary Badger posted:

CalDigit's MiniDock.

Thanks, I'll order one. I'd never pay $250 just to have a few usb ports. I don't know anything about thunderbolt 3. I think you can hook up an external GPU but not sure why anyone would want to.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

excellent bird guy posted:

Thanks, I'll order one. I'd never pay $250 just to have a few usb ports. I don't know anything about thunderbolt 3. I think you can hook up an external GPU but not sure why anyone would want to.

To play games in Bootcamp at Ultra settings over an external display.

If you don’t need the power of TB, there are even cheaper USB-C docks that will do the same job for way less. But you miss out on stuff like 5k pass-thru, eGPU/PCIe support, and so on. But 99% of users probably wouldn’t notice/aren’t close to pushing the limits of USB.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you don’t need the power of TB, there are even cheaper USB-C docks that will do the same job for way less. But you miss out on stuff like 5k pass-thru, eGPU/PCIe support, and so on. But 99% of users probably wouldn’t notice/aren’t close to pushing the limits of USB.

going to make some hard hitting chiptunes with my synth and the mac hardware :devil: gently caress JACK/Linux

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thunderbolt docks are mainly useful for when you want two reasonably high resolution screens along with network, power and a bunch of USB equipment over a single cable. USB-C docks are okay for most of that except the multiple high resolution screens because they really start to struggle with bandwidth limits even at USB3 gen 2 or whatever the 10GB/s thing is called.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A $30 USB-C adapter will drive a pair of 1080p/60hz monitors just fine, you don't need a $300 dock.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a cheap CableMatters USB-C dock, I think it was like $30-40, and it can do 4k60hz just fine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

OWC’s always been too close to shady for my tastes

I give them credit for serving a niche market for a long time but it always felt like they got into the habit of really exploiting that niche status, and when Apple got exponentially bigger and more mainstream they never dialed it back.
I actually really like OWC's products. I own a Mercury Elite Pro and it's excellent (aside from the annoying status LED.) I've installed their replacement NuPower batteries in MacBooks for years - they're the only non-OEM ones I trust. I think they have a well deserved reputation for bulletproof stuff. That's why it's so puzzling that they'd be selling fake chargers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a cheap CableMatters USB-C dock, I think it was like $30-40, and it can do 4k60hz just fine.

I actually really like OWC's products. I own a Mercury Elite Pro and it's excellent (aside from the annoying status LED.) I've installed their replacement NuPower batteries in MacBooks for years - they're the only non-OEM ones I trust. I think they have a well deserved reputation for bulletproof stuff. That's why it's so puzzling that they'd be selling fake chargers.

Am I confusing OWC and OCZ?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, OWC have had a bad rep for years now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

A $30 USB-C adapter will drive a pair of 1080p/60hz monitors just fine, you don't need a $300 dock.
Every time I've seen those they have a caveat about dual monitors not working on Macs. Wild guess is that they're using MST for it which Apple still doesn't support. Last I heard you end up with mirrored displays, can't really change anything since macOS just sees it as a single display.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Am I confusing OWC and OCZ?
They both have bad reps :v:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I can't say I understand why.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Multiple OWC TB2 docks died fast, and their RMA process would drive Kafka to suicide.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

japtor posted:

Every time I've seen those they have a caveat about dual monitors not working on Macs. Wild guess is that they're using MST for it which Apple still doesn't support. Last I heard you end up with mirrored displays, can't really change anything since macOS just sees it as a single display.

Yup, the cheap USB-C ones won't do multiple displays over a single cable on a Mac (only Mirroring). I've tried several. They work fine on my Windows laptops though.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ok Comboomer posted:

Like 95% of this thread's posters will never need anything past a simple $40-50 cheap USB-C hub or dock and the rest will be fine with a still affordable USB-C or TB dock for $150 or less. Very few users actually need a $300 CalDigit TB dock unless they're running 2+ 4K+ monitors, some kind of eGPU setup, and multiple USB devices.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Like 95% of this thread's posters will never need anything past a simple $40-50 cheap USB-C hub or dock and the rest will be fine with a still affordable USB-C or TB dock for $150 or less. Very few users actually need a $300 CalDigit TB dock unless they're running 2+ 4K+ monitors, some kind of eGPU setup, and multiple USB devices.

It's not just multiple high resolution displays, but multiple external displays period.

You need a TB dock to drive 2x external displays over a single cable, even if they are both 720p. USB-C will not do it on modern macs from what I have seen.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Brain Issues posted:

It's not just multiple high resolution displays, but multiple external displays period.

You need a TB dock to drive 2x external displays over a single cable, even if they are both 720p. USB-C will not do it on modern macs from what I have seen.

Can you not chain TB displays to each other anymore?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What TB displays?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

What TB displays?

I know LG has an ultra wide that's TB. Pretty sure they have a 4K that is too.

Doesn't Dell have a TB display as well?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There are the two (three? The 21” 4K screen was replaced a year or two ago and I don’t recall if they made it bigger) LG displays made for Apple- 5k and 4k

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Don't forget the $5,000 Apple TB display!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Don't forget the $5,000 Apple TB display!

If you haven’t seen one of those suckers in person, btw, they’re loving gorgeous

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The LG Thunderbolt equipped displays already essentially have Thunderbolt docks built in (albeit with only USB-C rather than the video, audio, network and USB-A normally found on most docks). The 4K LGs have two Thunderbolt ports on them so they can be daisy-chained together off a single TB3 connection but LG's 5K monitors only have one because of how much bandwidth the 5K display chews up.

From what I've seen at work I'll echo the sentiment that dual monitors in general seems to be dicey on most USB-C docks. In my experience a lot of the docks are still running at 5Gbps despite using a USB-C cable and a single 2560x1440 screen with network/mouse/keyboard is enough to saturate the connection at that bandwidth, let alone more than one screen. It's probably better if they're using USB-C connectors that support the newer USB 3.1 Gen2 but I haven't personally tested any so I can't comment.

A lot of docks also seem to use MST to do dual monitors which macOS doesn't like at all and will just duplicate both external displays.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you haven’t seen one of those suckers in person, btw, they’re loving gorgeous

It'd better be for costing $5,000 loving dollars.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I love "the caldigit dock is expensive over kill"

"well obviously you wouldn't need it if you daisy chain TB displays so you can save money by buying super expensive displays instead"

The solution really is so simple!

Really though the caldigit dock, another 27" 4k display, and a loaded new MBA is in my near future to replace both my late 2012 iMac and 2013 11" MBA and last for another 8 years I guess. With using my iMac for wfh these past couple months it's really shown it's age, mainly with starting to have screen burn-in.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TheBacon posted:

With using my iMac for wfh these past couple months it's really shown it's age, mainly with starting to have screen burn-in.

LCD image persistence isn't permanent, you can reverse it

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202580

Display solid white at max brightness for a few days too.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pivo posted:

LCD image persistence isn't permanent, you can reverse it

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202580

Ya I am aware and nothing is permanent, but it just makes it annoying to use the built in display as for work I tend to have static windows for my display. If it weren't ~$500 to replace the display on this, or if it were the prior gen where I didn't have to pizza cutter the glue and could easily do it myself, I would replace the display and just let it keep on trucking. Death of Intel is a bit of kick to replace anyway though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pivo posted:

Min brightness. LCD pixels are light valves which let a variable percentage of light through. Having the backlight turned on while you're trying to reverse burn-in makes no difference, the pixels are being driven the same regardless of backlight intensity. Max brightness wears out the backlight faster, so you should just set it to the minimum value which doesn't sleep the display.

You can check if the display is fully asleep with the backlight off using a flashlight or other intense light source and getting up close to the display so you can see very faint things. You might want to display something contrasty like a checkerboard pattern to make it easier. I did this just now on this 2013 rMBP and at least at that vintage, on its internal display, Apple still drives an image with the backlight fully off.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
On the topic of thunderbolt docks, does anyone have any experience of the Brydge Stone Pro dock?

https://www.brydge.co.uk/products/stone-pro

I don't see many reviews for it online but it looks like it has most of the ports you'd want in a nice form factor?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I borrowed a 2019 13 mbp and it's so much faster doing most things than my 2015 that I'm definitely gonna have to buy a new one. Although not with this keyboard.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So my mom has a 2010 MacBook Pro, and it’s started randomly beachballing and generally being slow enough as to be unusable. We’re pretty sure this is due to a bad SATA cable (we’ve also already replaced the SSD, so I don’t think it’s a drive dying). We’re up for trying to replace the SATA cable, but I’m a little confused as to which one to get. Some have an IR sensor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8LLR2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qdWhFb1SYCZ90

While others do not: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR2KIST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ieWhFbMC4QHZK

My hunch is to get the one with the sensor, since having more parts probably cant hurt. Does that sound right?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

frogbs posted:

Some have an IR sensor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8LLR2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qdWhFb1SYCZ90

While others do not: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR2KIST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ieWhFbMC4QHZK

My hunch is to get the one with the sensor, since having more parts probably cant hurt. Does that sound right?

Both of those have an IR sensor though?

"MMOBIEL HDD Hard Drive Ir Sensor Sleep Detector Cable Compatible with MacBook Pro A1278 2009 - 2010 821-0814-A /922-9062"
"SUNMALL Replacement Hard Drive Cable with IR Sensor for 2009 2010 A1278 MacBook Pro 13" Unibody 821-0814 821-0814-A 922-9062"

The IR sensor branch of the cable looks different, but it might just be that the MMOBIEL one has a bracket attached to the IR sensor (from its description, "New MMOBIEL Replacement HDD Hard Drive Ir Sensor Sleep Detector Cable incl. Bracket").

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

track day bro! posted:

I borrowed a 2019 13 mbp and it's so much faster doing most things than my 2015 that I'm definitely gonna have to buy a new one. Although not with this keyboard.
Check out the 2020 models, the keyboard is almost back to the 2015 and earlier models. I was surprised at just how much better they are than my 2018 MBP.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

Check out the 2020 models, the keyboard is almost back to the 2015 and earlier models. I was surprised at just how much better they are than my 2018 MBP.

Yeah, the base one with 4 thunderbolt ports looks like the best bet. I mean I guess I could wait for an arm one or we but I'll be happy if a 2020 one lasts 3 years or so, I've had the 2015 one for 5 years which seems like a good run.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I have an Ipad Air 2 I never use. Any ideas what it's good for? I jailbroke it, I don't think I gained any functionality from that. I'm a little scared to update the OS because doesn't Mac do updates with the idea of making the older hardware shittier and slower, to manipulate the owners into buying new product. Someone needs to make like a PuppyLinux or real stripped down OS for older Mac hardware.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have an Ipad Air 2 I never use. Any ideas what it's good for? I jailbroke it, I don't think I gained any functionality from that. I'm a little scared to update the OS because doesn't Mac do updates with the idea of making the older hardware shittier and slower, to manipulate the owners into buying new product. Someone needs to make like a PuppyLinux or real stripped down OS for older Mac hardware.

In my opinion, old iPads remain most useful for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime, because the displays are still great and video playback is hardware accelerated.

They get increasingly poor at browsing because websites continue to get fatter and slower, so browsing starts to suck eventually. I think an Air 2 should still be a passable browser, but I could be wrong. My iPad 4 crashes if left open on most websites at this point.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the ipad Air 2 was one of the best ipads. I have one near my shitter and its fully up-to-date and works well for browsing and things. It's probably the iOS/iPadOS device with the longest usable lifespan ever made imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

I'm a little scared to update the OS because doesn't Mac do updates with the idea of making the older hardware shittier and slower, to manipulate the owners into buying new product.

No. Apple is by far the best large mobile hardware manufacturer when it comes to supporting older hardware.

Ars Technica did a review on your specific situation and came to the conclusion that you should update.

The big scandal around "Apple is slowing down older devices" happened because they added a function to detect batteries that were so worn, they couldn't keep the system running under full-speed power draw, and it would shut down without warning. Underclocking the SoC kept the phone going. Replacing the battery brought the system back to normal performance. Apple should have been more transparent about it, but that's literally the only time they've ever deliberately added code that would run older devices more slowly.

Your iPad is still going to be a bit clunky, because the hardware is a lot slower than modern phones and tablets. In particular, it'll probably force-reload browser tabs a lot, because it only has 2 gigs of RAM and modern client side web devs love to bring in huge libraries to do simple things. But, it will fundamentally work okay, and you'll get important things like security updates.

Please keep your OS up to date.