Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I ended up giving Romancing Saga a go per the recommendations of this thread and I am honestly surprised how much I like it. When I get in the mood to play a gacha game, I have to steel myself for a certain amount of poo poo and so far.... this is a pretty acceptable degree of poo poo! Everyone has already posted about the game's merits so I won't parrot them, but yeah, this is good! Thanks for the recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Knighthood has been my mainstay as it is pretty chill and not overloaded with mechanics/materials. I still pick up the hardcore Asian gatchas but I move on eventually or get annoyed when they start having blatant cash grabs.

I guess it really helps that you can basically grind to get any character. And the best healer is super easy to get and max out.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 21, 2020

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I grabbed One Punch Man: Road to Hero 2.0 (think it's a re-release) and it's literally AFK Arena reskinned as One Punch Man, which actually makes me like it quite a bit. It's neat playing as all the random rear end side characters from OPM. I've been playing off and on for a few days and it's super generous.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SirBukkake posted:

It's a drat shame about Tales of Crestoria. I like the story and its presentation with full-voice and some cool animated scenes, and I like the Tales-meets-Granblue turn based battle system. Everything else is bad.

Yeah. Despite getting my man Stahn (it's the only Tales game I've played), I just couldn't play this, and I've already uninstalled.

Also, is there a Tales thread? Because Berseria, Symphonia, Zestiria, and Vesperia Definitive are all on sale on Humble, and I'd like to get opinions.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah. Despite getting my man Stahn (it's the only Tales game I've played), I just couldn't play this, and I've already uninstalled.

Also, is there a Tales thread? Because Berseria, Symphonia, Zestiria, and Vesperia Definitive are all on sale on Humble, and I'd like to get opinions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2936349&pagenumber=609#lastpost

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I know a lot of people in the thread are saying that SaGa is a really good gacha game to start playing, but it hasn't quite hooked me yet. I'm not ready to call it quits, though!

Meanwhile, I will always recommend Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia. That game is just so F2P friendly. There's no PVP. Co-op quests can be done Just For Fun, where nobody cares if you're new/good (I pulled 2 new players through one today, and enjoyed doing it). The game is currently in the middle of a Summer Fiesta, with Free First 10+1 Pulls on each new banner. There's a good Pity system in place. There's plenty of hard/challenging quests for those who like that kind of thing, but it's 100% optional (I skip it, because it's not my thing, and still do just fine).

It's just really enjoyable.

Thanks!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1285883815001337864?s=19

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Hand Row posted:

Knighthood has been my mainstay as it is pretty chill and not overloaded with mechanics/materials. I still pick up the hardcore Asian gatchas but I move on eventually or get annoyed when they start having blatant cash grabs.

I guess it really helps that you can basically grind to get any character. And the best healer is super easy to get and max out.

Do we have a Goon guild, and/or are there benefits to being in one?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

FreshFeesh posted:

Do we have a Goon guild, and/or are there benefits to being in one?

SA Goons. Guilds can summon bosses where you pool damage against. When it dies you get a currency for the guild shop. You should only buy one thing in the shop, but it’s one of the best heroes in the game, Vordrai.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
If anyone has any interest in Exos Heroes still they're going a 5 Million Downloads celebration and giving out 10 rolls every day for the next few days (Until Sunday).

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
I’m now on a weird gacha kick. I’m looking for a good fun game for my iPad because playing landscape games on my phone suck. I recently re-downloaded DFFOO and EpicSeven; there is a LOT to chew on for both games (especially E7). Which one is better to play long-term? Either, or is there something better I’m missing?

Also, has any goon played Shin Megami Tensei Dx2? Seems like a fun portrait-mode gacha that’s all SMT battles.... I haven’t seen a big community for it though, and I’ve been hearing Sega/Altus is pretty drat stingy with their mobile offerings.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

SirBukkake posted:

I’m now on a weird gacha kick. I’m looking for a good fun game for my iPad because playing landscape games on my phone suck. I recently re-downloaded DFFOO and EpicSeven; there is a LOT to chew on for both games (especially E7). Which one is better to play long-term? Either, or is there something better I’m missing?

Also, has any goon played Shin Megami Tensei Dx2? Seems like a fun portrait-mode gacha that’s all SMT battles.... I haven’t seen a big community for it though, and I’ve been hearing Sega/Altus is pretty drat stingy with their mobile offerings.

I've tried out all three. Was never really grabbed by DFFOO and E7, but not because they're bad. Dx2....... I feel pretty safe calling bad. The story and characters were terrible, the game chugged to hell and back on my (pretty solid) phone and wasn't all that engaging even when it was playable, and the gacha was incredibly stingy. I quit after launch week though, so maybe it's improved since then? (And to be clear I'm an SMT fan, so it's not just that I don't like SMT games.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I tried DX2 a bit and it didn't quite land. Some of the content seemed grindy in a way that required a bit too much attention for the daily effort (like launch Langrisser) but mileage may vary and I don't know if that's changed in the last year or so when I played it last. Also wasn't keen on how it isn't just enough to worry about what you need to fuse good demons, you need to try to aim for particular color choices on them when fusing or pulling since it can have a pretty significant impact on how they perform.

Worth a look if you like SMT since the production values are pretty solid but I don't feel it's by accident that you don't hear much about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SirBukkake posted:

The two games I keep playing right now are FGO and Romancing SaGa.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Does anyone still play WoT Blitz?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SirBukkake posted:

Epic Seven is a heavy grind, but there's enough content that I can generally ignore PVP outside of dailies and the currency is frequent enough that I can spark (guarantee rate-up unit) every 1.5 month to 2 months.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

After Arknights being my first actual gacha I have gotten into, I've burnt out a little on it and looking for another gacha to play which has good art, strong gameplay loop and a decent community. I've bounced off girls frontline, another eden, AFKarena and SinoAlice so far. Any recommendations?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Exos Heroes has great art, solid daily focused gameplay loop, decent enough story. No experience or gear grinding once your daily dungeons are done. Rewards you for going wide. Good rates on the time limited banners though the current ones are pretty mediocre boosted units.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Samael posted:

After Arknights being my first actual gacha I have gotten into, I've burnt out a little on it and looking for another gacha to play which has good art, strong gameplay loop and a decent community. I've bounced off girls frontline, another eden, AFKarena and SinoAlice so far. Any recommendations?

7DS is really pretty and plays well.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Date-A-Live: Spirit Pledge comes out Monday. It's ready for pre-install now. I don't know much about it, but I tend to try every gacha that hits the market to see if anything sticks. It looks like there's some anime dating sim stuff in among the gacha, if that's your thing. I don't judge.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.en.datealive.gp&hl=en_US

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I’m in the same kind of wandering between gacha games. I liked Epic Seven but the RNG weapons/armor got me. I’m gonna give the Date a live one a shot cause I’m somewhat interested in the franchise.

Maybe try Kings Raid next for gacha games?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Guardian Tales is supposed to have its worldwide release this week. I've been playing for about 2 months now.

The Good
Gameplay is basically a mix of Zelda and Soul Knight. It's really fun and challenging. The main campaign and extra challenges are awesome.

Events are always available after they run but the extra rewards aren't there.

There are a lot of characters with unique effects and synergies.

Pull rarity is 1-3* but all characters can be evolved to 5*.

Join a guild and you can run increasingly difficult boss fights which is really fun.

Devs have been working the last few updates to improve some of the garbage systems and things are better.

The Bad
Evolving characters takes a ridiculous amount of time. It's 6-8 weeks of dedicated farming to get a 3* to 5*.

Not only do characters have to evolve, but they also have separate HP/Def/Atk awakenings that make a huge difference. The problem is the awakening dungeon can only be run 3 times a day unless you pony up your gems.

The main source of gems is PVP. PVP is super imbalanced. By virtue of me starting earlier and having more evolutions and awakenings, you will stand absolutely no chance against me regardless of skill. Ranged characters are too good in 1v1.

Overall
Definitely give it a shot for the main campaign!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

MarcusSA posted:

7DS is really pretty and plays well.

Hmm, I tried this and it didn't really grab me but I didn't make it far into the game. I like the show so I was hoping I'd like it more then I did. It just seemed like a really generic gacha. What do you like from a gameplay perspective?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Hmm, I tried this and it didn't really grab me but I didn't make it far into the game. I like the show so I was hoping I'd like it more then I did. It just seemed like a really generic gacha. What do you like from a gameplay perspective?

Well the animations are top notch and I kinda like the card battle system which feels pretty different from the other games out there.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

cirus posted:

Guardian Tales is supposed to have its worldwide release this week. I've been playing for about 2 months now.

<snip>

This just went live

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Konami has decided to shut down Castlevania: Grimoire Of Souls. The GL version was only in closed beta.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Coincidently they just announced a new Castlevania mobile game, for China so who knows if we'll ever get it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Largepotato posted:

This just went live

I started a guild "goonsquid". It's public, so just jump in. PM me if it's full and I need to start booting people.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cirus posted:

The Good
Gameplay is basically a mix of Zelda and Soul Knight. It's really fun and challenging. The main campaign and extra challenges are awesome.

Events are always available after they run but the extra rewards aren't there.

There are a lot of characters with unique effects and synergies.

Pull rarity is 1-3* but all characters can be evolved to 5*.

Join a guild and you can run increasingly difficult boss fights which is really fun.

Devs have been working the last few updates to improve some of the garbage systems and things are better.

The Bad
Evolving characters takes a ridiculous amount of time. It's 6-8 weeks of dedicated farming to get a 3* to 5*.

Not only do characters have to evolve, but they also have separate HP/Def/Atk awakenings that make a huge difference. The problem is the awakening dungeon can only be run 3 times a day unless you pony up your gems.

The main source of gems is PVP. PVP is super imbalanced. By virtue of me starting earlier and having more evolutions and awakenings, you will stand absolutely no chance against me regardless of skill. Ranged characters are too good in 1v1.

Overall
Definitely give it a shot for the main campaign!

Is this one of the games you need to re roll a poo poo load for the best units?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Started King of Fighters, picked King as my freebie and Nakaruru as my reroll. I'm sure I'm going to regret this like 20 hours later but I'm just rolling with my former CvS2 team (RIP no Hibiki).

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Is this one of the games you need to re roll a poo poo load for the best units?

No in fact rerolling is kind of a pain since it takes 30-40 minutes each time. Not sure if there are any new player bonuses to make things easier. You can earn currency (mileage tickets) to buy characters and their exclusive weapons from the shop. Save this currency for when you really need it because characters are quite the investment. Don't buy Piltvice or Libera.

You get a ton of great 2* characters through the story that are more than enough to clear everything. 2* characters are far easier to fully upgrade than 3*. Try to focus on a single element to start so you don't spread your stamina around multiple evolution dungeons.

You can get a 3* fire (Piltvice) for free in about 3 weeks after starting and the main character's exclusive weapon Libera in about 8 weeks or so depending on how much you upgrade the base. It will make sense when you get there. Some people recommend rerolling for the fire character's weapon, Prominence, since that character is guaranteed but this isn't necessary at all.

PVP will probably be easier with more people playing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Anyone playing the Date-A-Live game? I've been poking at it but I'm out of town and don't have time to mess with it much right now. I haven't been able to really figure out what additional summons really even do. It seems fun so far though, side scrolling beat-em-up mixed with shump gameplay on some stages.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cirus posted:

Guardian Tales stuff

So the gameplay isn’t so bad so far but one thing that’s odd is that they don’t even give you enough premium currency when you start for a 10 pull? That’s kinda weird.

Not totally invested in it but it’s not terrible.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

cirus posted:

I just picked up Guardian Tales. It's only available in select countries but fully translated and localized if you get the APK. It's a mix of Soul Knight and Zelda and actually really good! I've only gotten through the first world but there's tons of gaming references and Easter eggs. Try walking the Konami code in the Lost Woods!

You recommended this way back but I never bothered with the install. Finally trying it out for the global release and it seems cute and fun so far. Definitely weird that it gives so little gacha currency, but maybe not as weird as the fact it's a gacha in the first place. I mostly just want to roll around collecting hidden costumes for the hero.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MarcusSA posted:

So the gameplay isn’t so bad so far but one thing that’s odd is that they don’t even give you enough premium currency when you start for a 10 pull? That’s kinda weird.

Not totally invested in it but it’s not terrible.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

You recommended this way back but I never bothered with the install. Finally trying it out for the global release and it seems cute and fun so far. Definitely weird that it gives so little gacha currency, but maybe not as weird as the fact it's a gacha in the first place. I mostly just want to roll around collecting hidden costumes for the hero.

It gives you currency for each level clear. I'm mid way through the second map and have had two pulls. It's definitely not the most generous, but I've also not spent and don't feel any problems getting through levels.

Then again this is day two, so...

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

New Leaf posted:

Anyone playing the Date-A-Live game? I've been poking at it but I'm out of town and don't have time to mess with it much right now. I haven't been able to really figure out what additional summons really even do. It seems fun so far though, side scrolling beat-em-up mixed with shump gameplay on some stages.

I tried it but I really don't like doing games like that on phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

leper khan posted:

It gives you currency for each level clear. I'm mid way through the second map and have had two pulls. It's definitely not the most generous, but I've also not spent and don't feel any problems getting through levels.

Then again this is day two, so...

While it’s only day two I honestly can’t think of the last gatcha game that didn’t throw a free 10 pull at launch.

It just seems a bit odd and stingy tbh. The game play is nice though.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

While it’s only day two I honestly can’t think of the last gatcha game that didn’t throw a free 10 pull at launch.

It just seems a bit odd and stingy tbh. The game play is nice though.

The packs are ridiculously expensive. Like, $40 for 1/3 of a character evolution. Apparently this developer doesn't have a great track record with prior releases. I keep up with it because the gameplay is right up my alley and it doesn't ask you to run your phone all day auto grinding.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Date A Live kinda just feels like a 2D Honkai Impact clone with a visual novel tacked on, I just felt like I'd rather play Honkai Impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a thread for King's Raid?