Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Hell yeah that owns.

Looking at the writers list, anyone major missing? I can see Greenwell isn't there but that makes sense considering she got a full time job at Wired.

I don't see Tim Marchman but I think he'd been gone for a bit.

Timothy Burke isn't there either.

E: Oh, Burke's got his own business now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DJExile posted:

I don't see Tim Marchman but I think he'd been gone for a bit.

I dont see Dom either.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Revivified Deadcast announced:

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1288092057748287489

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

That makes me happy. Means we'll probably see Roth writing there too.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Akileese posted:

That makes me happy. Means we'll probably see Roth writing there too.

He’s on the list of writers on the site

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Adun posted:

He’s on the list of writers on the site

Ahhh I didn't see him initially. Whoops.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

So hyped. I was beginning to think the calls for them to make their own site were just wishful thinking.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's a hefty price to pay but I'm willing to try it out for a year, since I probably went on deadspin 10 times a day at work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
SI keeps chugging along

https://twitter.com/themantz/status/1288128939634851840?s=20

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's $6 or $8 a month for something I'll use literally every day. I've got zero problems with the price.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

DJExile posted:

Good to see them back, but paying an extra $30 to comment is... something.

SA is the best commenting community I've ever been part of, and it is entirely due to two things: 1) that it costs a small amount of money to be able to post, hugely reducing the shitlord numbers and 2) there's actual moderation of the forums. I fully support them doing this, and think more sites should. (edit: went and put money where mouth is)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 28, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AndrewP posted:

It's $6 or $8 a month for something I'll use literally every day. I've got zero problems with the price.

I dunno, I've been burned before. Committing to a year right now at that price is a lot. I'm sure they'll do a 14 day trial or whatever and I'll give it a shot. If it's good then, yeah, that price is fine. Although I never like being tied to these things for a full year, so I may just do month to month at first.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Drew is already in midseason form:

quote:

Frankly, we've had Defector planned since December so we've been loving dying to tell everyone. So it's just a massive relief to finally be able to start yammering about it publicly. I have a HUGE mouth so keeping that poo poo in was like holding back a dump on the highway.
Also LOL at Sports Illustrated brand sawdust brain pills. Really managing and leveraging the value of that premium brand, there.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

that’s why the current owners bought them

can’t wait for the next embarrassing si product

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Now I'm imagining an obese 35 year old Buzz Beamer who only does racist sports reaction streams.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I wasn't sure what brain formula to buy but then I found comfort in the familiar journalism brand from my childhood that now only exists as a hollowed out digital platform.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MyBookieCFB/status/1288136462442139650

lmao holy hell i forgot about espn phone

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Even better:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBoredShow/status/1288145948737040387

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god i wanted one of those football phones somethin' fierce as a kid

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The football phone was just a novelty phone that sucked. ESPN's thing was a super expensive flip phone that texted you score updates and came out right as smartphones were working on coming out.

It'd be like releasing a super specialized VCR in 1997.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ESPN Phone also led to this great Steve Jobs story

quote:

The story goes that ESPN president George Bodenheimer attended the first Disney board meeting in Orlando, Florida, just after the company had bought Pixar, the innovative animation factory, and spotted Apple CEO Steve Jobs in a hallway. It seemed like a good time to introduce himself. “I am George Bodenheimer,” he said to Jobs. “I run ESPN.” Jobs just looked at him and said nothing other than “Your phone is the dumbest loving idea I have ever heard,” then turned and walked away.
What makes the story great is that Jobs was 100% correct.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FMguru posted:

hahahahaha goddamn

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Was that the final straw to spur him to make the iPhone?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AndrewP posted:

Was that the final straw to spur him to make the iPhone?

Nah it came out like a year later so it would have been in the works for a long time. Like Kalli said, that's part of the reason the ESPN phone was so dumb.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

E:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Let's not forget this signed photo for those of you who have $25k/month to fork over:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Weird of them to have an autographed photo from Sam Darnold’s senior prom, but there’s stranger memorabilia out there I guess.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

AndrewP posted:

tbh as much as I would enjoy the content it would be great to see a worker-owned journalism project succeed, so think of it as $4 a month for each

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FMguru posted:

This made me miss and respect Jobs more than any other story has.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

tinstaach posted:

tbh as much as I would enjoy the content it would be great to see a worker-owned journalism project succeed, so think of it as $4 a month for each

Does this take air out of the room for athletic somewhat I wonder, or is there not much cross over between rabid "covers my teams in minute details" and "snarks on sports in gener'?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Scaramouche posted:

Does this take air out of the room for athletic somewhat I wonder, or is there not much cross over between rabid "covers my teams in minute details" and "snarks on sports in gener'?

They fill really different niches but I'm sure there'll be at least a little competition for bucks

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If I do anything it'll be cancel the Athletic, but realistically I'll probably keep both

yearly subscriptions are easy to forget to cancel

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

This made me miss and respect Jobs more than any other story has.

His daughter wrote a book two years ago about how abusive he was as a father, he sucks

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

uggy posted:

His daughter wrote a book two years ago about how abusive he was as a father, he sucks

In that case it was funny, that he did the exact same thing to his Oncologist is funnier.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

uggy posted:

Yeah. Exactly. Which is why him telling the head of ESPN that their phone is dumb is the only good thing he ever did.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Yeah. Exactly. Which is why him telling the head of ESPN that their phone is dumb is the only good thing he ever did.

Ah got ya, carry on!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Hell yeah that owns.

Looking at the writers list, anyone major missing?

Someone mentioned Dom and I just noticed Laura Wagner isn't on there either. She's at Vice now.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

General Dog posted:

Can’t wait for lots of incisive commentary along the lines of “Goodell Doesn’t Care if Any of Us Die”

I know most people here are smart enough to ignore you but please shut up.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Scaramouche posted:

I started an Athletic subscription in January when I was mad about losing Deadspin and wanted an alternative to ad-supported writing. The problem has been that once the NFL season ended I really stopped caring about the in depth articles they were putting out. I don't think I've checked it in months (the lack of sports doesn't help). I used to read Deadspin year round, and I'm sure I'd still be reading them through the COVID sports drought. Today I subscribed to Defector and canceled my Athletic subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Basticle posted:

I know most people here are smart enough to ignore you but please shut up.

C'mon, that's 100% an on-brand Deadspin headline. I should know, I read it constantly right until it shut down.