Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I looked it up because I wanted to see what that monitor looked like, and it appears even loving Acer can't keep track of their naming conventions and the info page for that monitor claims it is IPS in the early part of the page but then lists it as TN in the specs part of the page.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.HX1AA.A01

Do yourself a favor and just don't buy Acer until they are willing to use naming conventions that won't likely lead to you buying the wrong product on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I looked it up because I wanted to see what that monitor looked like, and it appears even loving Acer can't keep track of their naming conventions and the info page for that monitor claims it is IPS in the early part of the page but then lists it as TN in the specs part of the page.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.HX1AA.A01

Yeah I'm not sure either but I dont think it's ips because the colours fade or darken if you look at the screen from a higher or lower angle. It's fine looking from either side though, so who knows.

When I upgrade it'll go toward the pc I'm slowly building for my son with my leftover bits.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
As I've got a new 3900x build (with a gtx 1080 I already own - and plans to upgrade to next-gen GPUs sometime after they launch) on the way, I'm looking for budget-to-midrange gaming display options that people here recommend right now.

My current gaming display btw is one of these puppies: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG248QE-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

But with my old and my new build, I'm gonna have 2 machines, each one in different rooms now. So I want to get a better new display for my new system.

I'm in no rush to buy, btw. So if there's something worth holding out display budget moneys for that's worth it in value, I can do that.

FYI I'm going to be doing gaming, art, animation, streaming (i teach live art classes) and possibly gamedev as I get more into blender. I have a 22hd cintiq I use for art also.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 26, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I would say that if you're not in a rush it's a perfectly reasonable idea to wait until CES (January) to see what comes along. Prices have typically been dropping in the november-january window for the past several years, and this january we may see some actually good 4k gaming monitors launch, which would both be an option for you to consider and also possibly put downward pressure on 1440p options.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Good to know. In that case I would probably want to maybe get a budget gaming display as I want to eventually have 3 displays (the cintiq, primary, and secondary) on my primary desktop PC. If there's any suggestions there I would love to know. (Including used ones.)

The original budget display would of course go on my old build.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Wibla posted:

It'll look like crap, don't buy that.

If you don't have the extra $100 to buy something decent right now, consider saving until you do? Good monitors last forever and are well worth putting a bit of money into. Buy cheap = buy twice.

Well I can spend $300 I just thought you could still get a decent "budget" gaming monitor for ~$200. For $300 I came across these:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-27-I...pc&sr=1-11&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX...11&s=pc&sr=1-25

https://www.amazon.com/PB278QV-Prof...pc&sr=1-31&th=1

I'm leaning towards the ASUS ProArt because it has all the inputs I need without having to get more cables.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Do any of you have any experience with this monitor. Looks like a pretty decent deal for a 1080p IPS and I'm not looking to go over 24" for a smaller setup. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-tuf-24-fhd-144hz-1ms-gtg-ips-led-freesync-gaming-monitor-vg249q-black/14405119

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Le Saboteur posted:

Do any of you have any experience with this monitor. Looks like a pretty decent deal for a 1080p IPS and I'm not looking to go over 24" for a smaller setup. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-tuf-24-fhd-144hz-1ms-gtg-ips-led-freesync-gaming-monitor-vg249q-black/14405119

In the same vein this one looks suspiciously cheap! Seems too new to have too many reviews. I was looking for a 4K for productivity and graphics work. It’d also be like my primary gaming monitor for awhile but running 1440p in games because I’m not crazy.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-zeroframe-28-4k-ultra-hd-60hz-4ms-gtg-ips-led-freesync-gaming-monitor-cb282k-silver/14472743

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Well I can spend $300 I just thought you could still get a decent "budget" gaming monitor for ~$200. For $300 I came across these:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-27-I...pc&sr=1-11&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX...11&s=pc&sr=1-25

https://www.amazon.com/PB278QV-Prof...pc&sr=1-31&th=1

I'm leaning towards the ASUS ProArt because it has all the inputs I need without having to get more cables.

The sweet spot for high refresh gaming monitors is 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors - good ones, at least. They could previously be had for $300 but right now most of the options you should be considering are $350+. If you're that concerned about cost, I would say wait at least a few months and see if we see the usual dip in prices around the end of the year, or what else changes. You can also go for a 24" 1080p 144hz IPS monitor, which can be had in the $175ish range, but I'm really of the opinion that they don't represent that great of value compared to the 1440p options. Considering your current system and your intent to upgrade your GPU soon, I think you definitely are more in 1440p territory than 1080p.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Cactus posted:

I'm planning on upgrading to the new top-end GPUs that are coming out soon-ish and I'm looking to upgrade from my Acer Predator XB271HUAbmiprz 27" 144Hz monitor.

I know that it's been said a lot in the last 50 or so pages of the thread that 4k monitors are not worth getting right now, but on the other hand I'm going to want to put that GPU to good use when I get it, so if I were to insist on splashing out on a nice 4k monitor (I'm looking for either 27" or 32" or thereabouts) what would be the current recommendations? Is this even worth me asking about now, speculatively, or should I just wait about 6 months or so when I'm looking to actually make the purchase and stick my head back into the thread to see if the situation is markedly different then?

I just replaced my XB271HUAbmiprz with the Acer X35. No regrets. Ultrawide is the way to go; the HDR is game-changing, and if a bit of haloing around the mouse cursor on black backgrounds doesn't bother you, the FALD in SDR mode gives the best contrast I've ever seen in an LCD.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a 24" 144hz G-sync compatible 1920x1080 monitor. This will be a secondary monitor and I won't be playing games on it. I currently have a 27" 1440 144hz g-sync monitor as my main and an old 60hz Benq as a secondary, but having a 60hz non g-sync causes a bunch of lag if i have anything open in the second screen while in game. Not looking for anything top of the line, would prefer to stay under $350. $250-300 would be ideal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just a periodic lol at these model names, don't mind me.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

forbidden dialectics posted:

I just replaced my XB271HUAbmiprz with the Acer X35. No regrets. Ultrawide is the way to go; the HDR is game-changing, and if a bit of haloing around the mouse cursor on black backgrounds doesn't bother you, the FALD in SDR mode gives the best contrast I've ever seen in an LCD.

This is tempting. What are the pros/cons of getting a curved monitor over a flat one? Is it just a gimmick or does it have an effect on the experience?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

I drive a BBW posted:

I'm looking for a 24" 144hz G-sync compatible 1920x1080 monitor. This will be a secondary monitor and I won't be playing games on it. I currently have a 27" 1440 144hz g-sync monitor as my main and an old 60hz Benq as a secondary, but having a 60hz non g-sync causes a bunch of lag if i have anything open in the second screen while in game. Not looking for anything top of the line, would prefer to stay under $350. $250-300 would be ideal.

I just picked up this one which seems to meet your ideal parameters and is probably quite a bit cheaper in USD. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newegg.ca/amp/p/N82E16824475047

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Cactus posted:

This is tempting. What are the pros/cons of getting a curved monitor over a flat one? Is it just a gimmick or does it have an effect on the experience?

Curved likely means a VA panel which isn't great for response time and smearing and/or ghosting. Of you aren't gaming it won't be a problem. The viewing angle from curved can be nice, especially on those wider monitors.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cactus posted:

Having a curved ultrawide myself, I'd say at 34-35" it's more of a gimmick than something truly noticeable. I think there's something like two TN curved displays out there (and the Acer X35 isn't one of them), so it's not like they're doing much to prevent color shift, and most are curved so little that you'd be hard pressed to notice unless you're looking top-down.

That said, there's no downside to them, unless you're trying to shove a bunch of them together into a monitor wall or something. They tend to be more expensive, but you usually don't have a straight flat vs curved comparison option, so it's hard to tell how much it's adding to costs and how much is that they're almost all high-end monitors in the first place.

That said, at nearly $2k, I'd be tempted to wait for CES to see what else is coming this year, considering HDMI 2.1 / DP 2.0 are (hopefully) right around the corner.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DrDork posted:

That said, at nearly $2k, I'd be tempted to wait for CES to see what else is coming this year, considering HDMI 2.1 / DP 2.0 are (hopefully) right around the corner.

Well yeah as I said upthread I'm waiting until I have a new GPU whatever I decide because my 970 won't be able to drive any higher res than what I have now. It feels like 2020 has been the year of waiting for things with little to no info to go on, in the gaming/tech world at least.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DrDork posted:

Having a curved ultrawide myself, I'd say at 34-35" it's more of a gimmick than something truly noticeable. I think there's something like two TN curved displays out there (and the Acer X35 isn't one of them), so it's not like they're doing much to prevent color shift, and most are curved so little that you'd be hard pressed to notice unless you're looking top-down.

VA has color shift from off-axis too, which is why almost all large VA displays are curved. It's not the same as TN where going off-axis in one direction far enough will eventually invert colors, it's more that things kinda wash to grey if you get too far off axis. The effect starts pretty much right away, so a big flat VA screen will give you a weird gradient look.

Totally agree that even at 34" curved is a take it or leave it thing. I'm pretty much used to the curve by now, but it definitely isn't any more "natural" than a flat monitor. It's definitely a bit of a trippy experience at first as your brain re-learns how perspective works on a differently shaped panel. The reality is you spend much of your life looking at images off-centered, off-axis, etc, usually on flat things like pieces of paper, walls, etc, and as such everyone is already well-adapted to dealing with that. A curve is a bit of a new thing, but your brain can also learn to deal with it.

I drive a BBW posted:

If you're on the newest version of windows 10, while nothing can completely resolve the issue because to MS it's a feature and not a bug, not playing videos in Chromium can be a huge improvement. Before spending a bunch of money, try having your netflix/youtube/twitch/whatever window open in Firefox instead.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 28, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheDK posted:

Curved likely means a VA panel which isn't great for response time and smearing and/or ghosting.

Is it the case that the majority of curved panels are VA?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Is it the case that the majority of curved panels are VA?

Almost all curved non-ultrawide panels are VA. Ultrawides are usually curved regardless of panel type. You can always look on displayspecifications to see exactly what panel a monitor has (can be very useful when comparing similar monitors).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, I was only thinking of ultrawide curved. That makes sense.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

If you're on the newest version of windows 10, while nothing can completely resolve the issue because to MS it's a feature and not a bug, not playing videos in Chromium can be a huge improvement. Before spending a bunch of money, try having your netflix/youtube/twitch/whatever window open in Firefox instead.

Yeah I pretty much always close chrome before gaming and definitely never have it open on my second monitor. But trying to keep discord or basically anything else that can update open on the second monitor will kill FPS. I've done some searching and it seems to be a pretty common problem from what I understand. My old monitor will go to my wife so it's not a complete waste tbh.

Le Saboteur posted:

I just picked up this one which seems to meet your ideal parameters and is probably quite a bit cheaper in USD. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newegg.ca/amp/p/N82E16824475047

I'm getting mixed reports on whether this monitor works with gsync.

This is seriously an awful time to be trying to find a monitor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
No, the worst time to buy a monitor was 3-4 months ago when monitors were as rare as guns are now.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Do the larger monitors (>27) have some form of native PIP to allow you to split the screen into two logical monitors?
I have two 27" displays and the advantage there is I can have something running on a browser screen on one monitor while I play a game full-screen on the other.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shrike82 posted:

Do the larger monitors (>27) have some form of native PIP to allow you to split the screen into two logical monitors?
I have two 27" displays and the advantage there is I can have something running on a browser screen on one monitor while I play a game full-screen on the other.

There's an LG 43" 4K display (that Dell rebadges) that can do 4x 1080p windows, but that's the only one I know of.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

shrike82 posted:

Some do, but from what I recall it is more split-screen than PIP. The question came up a while back and it is a thing, although the implementation varies some, and I'm not sure how many models there are which can do it. Like BH just said, I'm pretty sure LG makes monitors that can do this, and a quick search shows Samsung does, too, but I'm not sure outside of that. I'm also not sure how software-dependent these things are, like if they are Windows-centric or would work on Mac or Linux, too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

shrike82 posted:

Ultramon, should do what you want. AMDs eyefinity can combine monitors not sure about split them up.

Any reason not to do this in windows instead of adding a feature mostly found on really high end monitors?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Well, I dual boot frequently between Windows and Ubuntu for one thing and I also game on my PS4 using one monitor while the other is on Windows.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

My LG 27GL83A-B came in and it's fantastic for the $350 I got it for. No dead pixels and while the contrast obviously isn't as good as my LG C9, it will be a good bridge gap until better 40+" monitors come out.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

space marine todd posted:

My LG 27GL83A-B came in and it's fantastic for the $350 I got it for. No dead pixels and while the contrast obviously isn't as good as my LG C9, it will be a good bridge gap until better 40+" monitors come out.

Just looked at this on Amazon and what's the difference between QHD and FHD? Other than FHD being out of stock.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cactus posted:

Just looked at this on Amazon and what's the difference between QHD and FHD? Other than FHD being out of stock.

Full HD (1080p) QHD or Quad High Definition, is 1440p

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ah, re-branding concepts that already have perfectly good names to sound cooler, got it.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Cactus posted:

1920x1080/240Hz vs 2560x1440/144Hz. Unless you're getting paid to play CS:GO, I don't think the resolution tradeoff is worth it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

shrike82 posted:

display fusion allows you to make custom partitions on a single monitor that it will treat as different screens

in addition to a billion other things

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

display fusion allows you to make custom partitions on a single monitor that it will treat as different screens

in addition to a billion other things

He followed up to my similar suggestion saying his actual use case is multiple inputs and wants to display them at the same time. So that is going to require a monitor or a capture card. I'm at a loss for actual hardware that supports this.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Cactus posted:

It does help with viewing angles; there's some mild contrast shift in the corners but it's only noticable on a pitch black screen. It's 1800R which is a very mild curve anyways.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

pixaal posted:

He followed up to my similar suggestion saying his actual use case is multiple inputs and wants to display them at the same time. So that is going to require a monitor or a capture card. I'm at a loss for actual hardware that supports this.

i have a dell monitor panel that does this but the customization isnt exactly robust like you or i were envisioning

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Cactus posted:

Ah, re-branding concepts that already have perfectly good names to sound cooler, got it.

Sweet summer child, there are more dumb meaningless acronyms than you know. How else can we trick confuse people into buying a lovely TV/display in 2020?!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tehinternet posted:

How else can we trick confuse people into buying a lovely TV/display in 2020?!

Say they support HDR400! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

DrDork posted:

Say they support HDR400! :haw:

I didn’t buy a TV that met that because I didn’t know the HDR standards, nope, not me, not at all nope

Also got nailed on the 120 “truemotion” bullshit which is just infuriating