Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

No. Apple is by far the best large mobile hardware manufacturer when it comes to supporting older hardware.

Ars Technica did a review on your specific situation and came to the conclusion that you should update.

The big scandal around "Apple is slowing down older devices" happened because they added a function to detect batteries that were so worn, they couldn't keep the system running under full-speed power draw, and it would shut down without warning. Underclocking the SoC kept the phone going. Replacing the battery brought the system back to normal performance. Apple should have been more transparent about it, but that's literally the only time they've ever deliberately added code that would run older devices more slowly.

Your iPad is still going to be a bit clunky, because the hardware is a lot slower than modern phones and tablets. In particular, it'll probably force-reload browser tabs a lot, because it only has 2 gigs of RAM and modern client side web devs love to bring in huge libraries to do simple things. But, it will fundamentally work okay, and you'll get important things like security updates.

Please keep your OS up to date.

I agree with the sentiment of the above post, and for security reasons you should always update the OS on things, but I do have to say that some of Apple's devices have fared better than others with newer versions of operating systems they've released.

The iPAD 3 went in the shitter as soon as iOS 7 was released and only got worse from there. It was a bit underpowered to begin with but snappy on iOS 6, and it seemed that with each update it became a little pokier and now its primary use at my house is as a digital picture frame.

Core functionality like MPEG-4 decoding and some optimized games still work okay, but man it's slow.

The iPad Air 2 has three cores and a good chunk of RAM (for the time) and it was clearly the predecessor to the iPad Pro with its laminated screen. It was really good and has survived the OS upgrades a lot better than its contemporaries (the iPad Mini 3, which is dogshit slow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hey thanks for all the feedback. Real nice. I was on 10.1, I think, and jailbroke. But I haven't found one thing interesting about the jailbreak so, I'll wipe it and update it. The battery is really good. Maybe if I ever get a network drive going from my desktop, I could ssh into it and have access to files from an ipad. Until then it'll probably go in a drawer again. Guess I'll head over to the home networking thread

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My kid still uses an Air 2 every single day for several hours a day and has no issues :shrug:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

FCKGW posted:

My kid still uses an Air 2 every single day for several hours a day and has no issues :shrug:

Cool, I don't like holding stuff. Probably could use a stand to at least sit it under desktop monitor. Like make it a 5th monitor just dedicated to youtube, or something.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

Cool, I don't like holding stuff. Probably could use a stand to at least sit it under desktop monitor. Like make it a 5th monitor just dedicated to youtube, or something.

Oh yeah, I'm just trying to say that iPad last a lot longer than most people assume. Really the only limiting factor is the battery losing it's charge.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

The big scandal around "Apple is slowing down older devices" happened because they added a function to detect batteries that were so worn [...]

People were saying this before that happened; by my recollection it was when iPhone/iOS was relatively young, the OS and apps rapidly increased in complexity but they still supported older phones. So your iPhone 4 that you bought with iOS 4.0, by the time it was on iOS 7 and running apps built for iOS 7 it was extremely slow and there was no way to downgrade, your phone was just permanently slower now. Combined with the aging battery and the heavier use of the limited resources, it felt like a much different device than when it was new. For people who saw them as phones+ rather than mobile computers, this was clearly a degradation in the product over time caused by software updates!

The competition didn't have very many updates at all, so if your phone was slow, you could stop running some battery-hungry apps and reset to factory defaults or whatever and your performance would essentially be good as new, but the iPhone was stuck on the iOS you updated it to.

I know, you know, we know it's not planned obsolescence but the same thing the PC market went through in the 80s and 90s where your computer couldn't run the latest by the time you got it home from the store, because of the pace of progress. But that was the perception, at least how I remember it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I have my iPad Air 2 on the latest OS, it still works pretty well, although I hate that I can't long press to open a website in a new tab. I have to use two fingers and time it exactly right.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I have my iPad Air 2 on the latest OS, it still works pretty well, although I hate that I can't long press to open a website in a new tab. I have to use two fingers and time it exactly right.

? You can long open in a new tab in iPadOS 13

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

track day bro! posted:

Yeah, the base one with 4 thunderbolt ports looks like the best bet. I mean I guess I could wait for an arm one or we but I'll be happy if a 2020 one lasts 3 years or so, I've had the 2015 one for 5 years which seems like a good run.

If you don't have an immediate need, you might want to wait for ARM. You're going for a 13" laptop, and that's the rumored (*) first wave of ARM Macs released only about 6 months from now.

* according to more than one semi-reliable media leak broker journo, not pure rando internet speculation, but take it for whatever you feel it's worth.

That said, it makes a lot of sense for it to be a 13" laptop: these computers could easily share a chip design with iPads Pro, while bigger computers might require a different chip (for more performance). If shared, it gets to take advantage of the silicon bringup and production ramp schedule for the fall iPad refresh, meaning the hardware will likely be final and in pilot production a few months before the announced vague launch date. That gives them time to seed developers with real shipping ARM Mac hardware to replace the temporary A12Z based dev minis they've been handing out, and to finish their own work on ARM macOS using same.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
A laptop/entry level Macbook would *make sense* as a foray for ARMacs but I have no solid indication that will be the case. ARM devkits are shipping in MacMini cases ala the Intel devkits shipping in G5 chassis.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Last Chance posted:

I agree with the sentiment of the above post, and for security reasons you should always update the OS on things, but I do have to say that some of Apple's devices have fared better than others with newer versions of operating systems they've released.

The iPAD 3 went in the shitter as soon as iOS 7 was released and only got worse from there. It was a bit underpowered to begin with but snappy on iOS 6, and it seemed that with each update it became a little pokier and now its primary use at my house is as a digital picture frame.

Core functionality like MPEG-4 decoding and some optimized games still work okay, but man it's slow.

This is because iPad 3 truly was just slow on the CPU side. A5/A5X was the last Apple iOS SoC to use an ARM Holdings designed CPU core, so it's only a dual core 1 GHz Cortex-A9. When new, the A9 was a big improvement over its predecessor, the A8, but it got absolutely dumpstered by Apple's in-house designed cores (>2x improvement in Geekbench CPU score from A5X to A6X). As Apple began ramping up iPhone and iPad performance, they stopped needing to make concessions to limited mobile performance in their software, so the A9 quickly became a liability.

Those first generation Apple designed cores in A6/A6X also had a short useful lifespan, but this time because they were 32-bit only. A7/A7X is where I feel that iOS hardware started to have better longevity.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BobHoward posted:

This is because iPad 3 truly was just slow on the CPU side. A5/A5X was the last Apple iOS SoC to use an ARM Holdings designed CPU core, so it's only a dual core 1 GHz Cortex-A9. When new, the A9 was a big improvement over its predecessor, the A8, but it got absolutely dumpstered by Apple's in-house designed cores (>2x improvement in Geekbench CPU score from A5X to A6X). As Apple began ramping up iPhone and iPad performance, they stopped needing to make concessions to limited mobile performance in their software, so the A9 quickly became a liability.

Those first generation Apple designed cores in A6/A6X also had a short useful lifespan, but this time because they were 32-bit only. A7/A7X is where I feel that iOS hardware started to have better longevity.

This is an interesting delineation, I was going to comment that my ipad mini 2 is still going strong for the basic watching videos and dicking around I use it for other than no longer supporting the latest iOS. I double checked and it is an A7 so uh point to you sir.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TheBacon posted:

This is an interesting delineation, I was going to comment that my ipad mini 2 is still going strong for the basic watching videos and dicking around I use it for other than no longer supporting the latest iOS. I double checked and it is an A7 so uh point to you sir.

I have one of these and it can barely play music and run Discord or other apps at the same time without crashing. It was pretty sad that the iPad Mini 3 was just the iPad Mini 2 with a TouchID button bolted on.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Last Chance posted:

I have one of these and it can barely play music and run Discord or other apps at the same time without crashing. It was pretty sad that the iPad Mini 3 was just the iPad Mini 2 with a TouchID button bolted on.

The OG Air/Mini 2 CPU is still decent enough for basic tablet stuff - it just suffers because it only has one gig of RAM. Mine's slow but usable when it does processor-heavy stuff. It gets ugly when it's trying to keep browser tabs open, handle large files, or swap between a few different apps.

The Air 2 and Mini 4 have 2 gigs, which isn't all that much these days, but has done wonders for keeping them relevant as the iPad has moved towards more multitasking support and complex almost-desktop apps.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Last Chance posted:

I guess I have a very narrow usage of mine, mostly for watching videos in bed or the toilet or occasionally reading the internet, but not really more than a tab or so at once. It's the only device I don't have the habit of a million tabs always open.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Last Chance posted:

? You can long open in a new tab in iPadOS 13

Hm, maybe I changed a setting somewhere, it’s definitely gone for me now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I still use the og mini for netflix and podcasts even

Edit ^^^ it’s the open in background tab

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of selling my 2016 15" MPB and grabbing a Mac Mini. I don't have much need for a laptop these days but I don't want to work in Windows. Except where I have to. So how does a fairly kitted out* Mini handle Win10 VMs in Parallels?

*:
3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630
512GB SSD storage

I imagine the VRAM is going to be an issue with the integrated graphics but I was wondering if Parallels hadn't somehow solved that problem.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

My iPad 4 crashes if left open on most websites at this point.

Yeah I have an iPad 3, and it’s legitimately unusable for web browsing. I was kind of amazed. I’ll have to try it out with YouTube and see if it’s any better. It was sitting in a closet for the last 5 years, and I was hoping I could use it for evening browsing :sigh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I have an iPad 3, and it’s legitimately unusable for web browsing. I was kind of amazed. I’ll have to try it out with YouTube and see if it’s any better. It was sitting in a closet for the last 5 years, and I was hoping I could use it for evening browsing :sigh:

still good for facetime, netflix+ other streaming services, youtube via app probably. you'd probably have to limit browsing to low memory websites, though :V

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

“Open in background”
“Open in New window”
???

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Space Gopher posted:

No. Apple is by far the best large mobile hardware manufacturer when it comes to supporting older hardware.

Ars Technica did a review on your specific situation and came to the conclusion that you should update.

The big scandal around "Apple is slowing down older devices" happened because they added a function to detect batteries that were so worn, they couldn't keep the system running under full-speed power draw, and it would shut down without warning. Underclocking the SoC kept the phone going. Replacing the battery brought the system back to normal performance. Apple should have been more transparent about it, but that's literally the only time they've ever deliberately added code that would run older devices more slowly.

Your iPad is still going to be a bit clunky, because the hardware is a lot slower than modern phones and tablets. In particular, it'll probably force-reload browser tabs a lot, because it only has 2 gigs of RAM and modern client side web devs love to bring in huge libraries to do simple things. But, it will fundamentally work okay, and you'll get important things like security updates.

Please keep your OS up to date.

Apple major OS updates making old devices slower is nothing to do with batterygate.
Most likely it is usually to do with less RAM on specific generations.
If you have say an iPad2 in a desk drawer you can easily see this in action by restoring it to 6 and then 9 (or vice-versa.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iPad 3 was a turd. First Retina display iPad but didn’t have a GPU strong enough to drive it.

Introduced in March and discontinued in October. Shortest lifespan of any iOS product. That’s how bad it was. Also last iPad with the 30pin dock connector.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Made a great performance crucible for apps that wanted to scroll fast, though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

excellent bird guy posted:

I should just do this with my Mini 4 as a second display for videos/music while working on my main screen...been doing it with my 5th gen lately. If only the 4 supported Sidecar to do more stuff with it.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

mediaphage posted:

Edit ^^^ it’s the open in background tab
Yeah always been this, it's a setting in...Settings. By default it's background tab iirc, have to change the setting to get it to open new tabs in front. Course it's still all or nothing, afaik the only way to open tabs the other way than the setting is with the keyboard modifier. To bring it back to the thread, it's the same on the Mac I think.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

I should just do this with my Mini 4 as a second display for videos/music while working on my main screen...been doing it with my 5th gen lately. If only the 4 supported Sidecar to do more stuff with it.

Yeah always been this, it's a setting in...Settings. By default it's background tab iirc, have to change the setting to get it to open new tabs in front. Course it's still all or nothing, afaik the only way to open tabs the other way than the setting is with the keyboard modifier. To bring it back to the thread, it's the same on the Mac I think.

hmm, i've certainly never touched the setting - my ipad pro has by default always been 'open in background' and my ipad air 2 has always been 'open in new tab'. i assumed they'd decided to go with the ipp philosophy.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

japtor posted:

I have a big monitor, a wacom 16", and two laptops to keep on my desk. With an Ipad to add, my computing is going over the top.

What kind of ipad stand does this thread recommend

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maybe try asking the iPad thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

:thanks:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I mean, yeah technically Axx ARM chips are gonna be in Macs but not until the end of the year, so iPad/iPhone specific stuff should go into their respective threads in IYG.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I rolled the dice on this not-thread-consensus dock and its done everything I've asked of it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0838WTFD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1x 4k 27", 2x 1080p's, and keeps the Retina display hot. I suppose the only annoyance is that you have to install drivers and those make the OS think its screen sharing so watch-unlock doesn't work, but touchID still does. Charges with plenty of power.

e: 2018 MBP i7 15" Radeon 555x, Catalina 10.15.5

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I cannot figure this one out.

What adapter do I need to connect a 2019 iMac (Thunderbolt 3/USB-C) to an Apple LED Cinema Display (Mini Displayport)?

I cannot seem to find an adapter that will work with the 2019 iMac Specifically. Apple does not sell an adapter to do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Astro7x posted:

I cannot figure this one out.

What adapter do I need to connect a 2019 iMac (Thunderbolt 3/USB-C) to an Apple LED Cinema Display (Mini Displayport)?

I cannot seem to find an adapter that will work with the 2019 iMac Specifically. Apple does not sell an adapter to do it.

https://www.startech.com/AV/display-and-video-adapters/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-mini-displayport-adapter~CDP2MDP

Also maybe this?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 30, 2020

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I've got newer model wireless Magic Keyboard - the flatter one with a built in battery - and as of yesterday it stopped working wirelessly. Caps lock isn't giving me that sweet sweet green light and it just doesn't connect. Plugged in with a lightning cable and it's functioning fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips to get it back to wireless mode?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try a factory reset?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/350725/how-to-reset-magic-keyboard

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
So I bought a 2014 Mac Mini, but it’s broken in interesting ways. The guy I got it from us going to take it back, but I’m wondering if it’s something that can be easily fixed?

1. The Thunderbolt 2 ports don’t seem to work. Tried a couple of cables and connecting a LaCie D2 and my 2011 iMac.

2. The power/activity light doesn’t come on.

3. The fan will spin up to 100% sometimes when it’s restarted, but fan control apps read it as 0 rpm.

4. I installed an M.2 ssd with a SinTech adapter, and works fine when it’s first turned on, but if you restart it doesn’t see the ssd as connected. Shutting down and turning it back on works though.

I’ve reset the SMC and NVRAM a couple times, but it didn’t help. Any ideas, or is the logic board just dead?

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
On the topic of used Mac minis I am considering getting an older Mac mini to have a dedicated music stuff computer but I really can’t justify spending a lot of money on it so I’ve been looking for used models from like 2012-2014 in the $300ish range. Is there any general advice about model years, processors, etc I should keep in mind? I figure I could get one of the lower specced ones and upgrade the ram and SSD if it feels it needs it. Are some easier to replace stuff on than others?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, get a 2012 and not a 2014 if you want to do some (easy) upgrades.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Wowporn posted:

On the topic of used Mac minis I am considering getting an older Mac mini to have a dedicated music stuff computer but I really can’t justify spending a lot of money on it so I’ve been looking for used models from like 2012-2014 in the $300ish range. Is there any general advice about model years, processors, etc I should keep in mind? I figure I could get one of the lower specced ones and upgrade the ram and SSD if it feels it needs it. Are some easier to replace stuff on than others?

Get a 2012, i7 if you can find one (though an i5 would probably be more than enough). 2012 was the last year you could fully upgrade RAM and HDD/SSD, the 2014 was generally seen as a step backwards in processing power, and RAM/storage are soldered you the motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smax posted:

Get a 2012, i7 if you can find one (though an i5 would probably be more than enough). 2012 was the last year you could fully upgrade RAM and HDD/SSD, the 2014 was generally seen as a step backwards in processing power, and RAM/storage are soldered you the motherboard.

What’s wrong with the 2020s? It sounds like you can upgrade the ram.